Trophy Rule Question [LSJ]

firstco...@aol.com

Mar 28, 2005, 8:32:09 AM3/28/05
Q: If a vampire I control burns a minion I control with an action, and
the burned minion was on the red list, may I move a trophy/trophies to
the acting vampire?

A: The Trophy rule does not care who controls the Red List minion being
burned.

Assuming the above is correct, does playing Abomination on Ossian count
as "burning him as an action", or is burning him part of the cost, and
therefore not part of the effect?

Relevant text: "Burn an untapped werewolf ally...to put this card in
play."

-- Brian

LSJ

Mar 28, 2005, 8:47:00 AM3/28/05
<firstco...@aol.com> wrote in message news:1112016729.8...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Q: If a vampire I control burns a minion I control with an action, and
> the burned minion was on the red list, may I move a trophy/trophies to
> the acting vampire?
>
> A: The Trophy rule does not care who controls the Red List minion being
> burned.

A: Sure,so long as it is a (D) action. That pretty much limits you to
Red Listers controlled by others, but if you can find a way to burn one
you control as a (D) action, more power to you. :-)

> Assuming the above is correct, does playing Abomination on Ossian count
> as "burning him as an action", or is burning him part of the cost, and
> therefore not part of the effect?
>
> Relevant text: "Burn an untapped werewolf ally...to put this card in
> play."

It is burning him as an action, but the action is not directed, so
won't get you a trophy.

--
LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

James Coupe

Mar 28, 2005, 8:52:12 AM3/28/05
In message <1112016729.8...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

firstco...@aol.com writes:
>Q: If a vampire I control burns a minion I control with an action, and
>the burned minion was on the red list, may I move a trophy/trophies to
>the acting vampire?

Since it would be part of an action directed at yourself (I can't off
the top of my head think of any alternatives), it's an undirected
action.

This then fails the Red List test of "If a vampire burns a Red List
minion in combat or as a (D) action (including diablerie)" - neither in
combat, nor a (D) action.

>Assuming the above is correct, does playing Abomination on Ossian count
>as "burning him as an action", or is burning him part of the cost, and
>therefore not part of the effect?

Undirected action, so fails to trigger the Red List rule anyway.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

firstco...@aol.com

Mar 28, 2005, 9:18:19 AM3/28/05
> A: Sure,so long as it is a (D) action. That pretty much limits you to
> Red Listers controlled by others, but if you can find a way to burn
one
> you control as a (D) action, more power to you. :-)

Oops...right. These thoughts originated with Red Listing a Vagabond
Mystic, then Shadow Twinning or Cryptic Missioning him...I forgot the
(D) symbol is only reminder text.

And then I carried it too far. :)

Gotta find another way to break Palla Grande, then...

-- Brian

Daneel

Mar 28, 2005, 2:11:39 PM3/28/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:47:00 -0500, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> <firstco...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Q: If a vampire I control burns a minion I control with an action, and
>> the burned minion was on the red list, may I move a trophy/trophies to
>> the acting vampire?
>>
>> A: The Trophy rule does not care who controls the Red List minion being
>> burned.
>
> A: Sure,so long as it is a (D) action. That pretty much limits you to
> Red Listers controlled by others, but if you can find a way to burn one
> you control as a (D) action, more power to you. :-)

Since (D) actions are defined as actions directed at other Methuselahs,
and the (D) sign is only a reminder, it's pretty darn hard to burn
one's own Red List minion with a (D) action...

Would for example a Red List vampire who attempts a (D) action, empties
himself and plays Daring the Dawn at inferior qualify? He or she burns
as the result of a (D) action he attempted... This doesn't really help
with any Trophies though. ;)

Other option: Julius gets 5 discipline cards and goes Into the Fire.
Tobias Smith makes him a Bishop. Julius then calls Trumped-Up Charges
and makes himself Red List, and Tobias uses Inquisition to inflict 1
damage on Julius (and at least another Bishop at the table to make the
action a (D) action). Julius takes 2 damage and burns as he would go
into torpor... ;) (Of course, the Inquisition might count as being a
(D) action towards the other bishop but not towards Julius...)

I'd personally prefer to use Caiaphas Smith for this purpose, with Kiss
of Lachesis at [tem] to burn him while he is controlled by my predator
(chances are, even if he blocks with him, Caiaphas will survive). Like,
Red List, Domain of Evernight, Kiss of Lachesis... ;) Mad, leet and über.

--
Bye,

Daneel

LSJ

Mar 28, 2005, 2:29:44 PM3/28/05
"Daneel" <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote in message news:opsoc3fv...@news.chello.hu...

> Since (D) actions are defined as actions directed at other Methuselahs,
> and the (D) sign is only a reminder, it's pretty darn hard to burn
> one's own Red List minion with a (D) action...
>
> Would for example a Red List vampire who attempts a (D) action, empties
> himself and plays Daring the Dawn at inferior qualify? He or she burns
> as the result of a (D) action he attempted... This doesn't really help

No. He or she burns during a (D) action, but it is not the action that
burned him.

> with any Trophies though. ;)

It might've been useful with Trophy: Progeny, but moot.

> Other option: Julius gets 5 discipline cards and goes Into the Fire.
> Tobias Smith makes him a Bishop. Julius then calls Trumped-Up Charges
> and makes himself Red List, and Tobias uses Inquisition to inflict 1
> damage on Julius (and at least another Bishop at the table to make the
> action a (D) action). Julius takes 2 damage and burns as he would go
> into torpor... ;) (Of course, the Inquisition might count as being a
> (D) action towards the other bishop but not towards Julius...)

Targeting Julius and a bishop controlled by another Methuselah means that
the action is undirected.

Daneel

Mar 28, 2005, 2:52:25 PM3/28/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:29:44 -0500, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>> Would for example a Red List vampire who attempts a (D) action, empties
>> himself and plays Daring the Dawn at inferior qualify? He or she burns
>> as the result of a (D) action he attempted... This doesn't really help
>
> No. He or she burns during a (D) action, but it is not the action that
> burned him.

Drat. ;)

>> with any Trophies though. ;)
>
> It might've been useful with Trophy: Progeny, but moot.

Yeah, that's right, I missed that.

>> Other option: Julius gets 5 discipline cards and goes Into the Fire.
>> Tobias Smith makes him a Bishop. Julius then calls Trumped-Up Charges
>> and makes himself Red List, and Tobias uses Inquisition to inflict 1
>> damage on Julius (and at least another Bishop at the table to make the
>> action a (D) action). Julius takes 2 damage and burns as he would go
>> into torpor... ;) (Of course, the Inquisition might count as being a
>> (D) action towards the other bishop but not towards Julius...)
>
> Targeting Julius and a bishop controlled by another Methuselah means that
> the action is undirected.

Okay, now I understand that I don't understand... ;)

Inquisition [KMW:PG]
Cardtype: Action
Requires a ready Sabbat vampire. +1 stealth action.
(D) Choose one or more bishops. Each of the chosen bishops loses his
or her title and takes 2 unpreventable damage. The controllers of
the chosen bishops may attempt to block in addition to the normally
eligible blockers.
Artist: David Day

What makes the card undirected when more than one methuselah's minions
are chosen?

6.2.2. 1st paragraph says:

If the action targets another Methuselah (or something controlled by
another Methuselah), then the action is called directed, and the
Methuselah who is the target (or controls the target) of the action
may use her ready untapped minions to attempt to block the action. If
the action is not directed at another Methuselah (or at something
controlled by another Methuselah), then the action is called
undirected and can be blocked by the acting Methuselah's prey or
predator, with the prey getting the first opportunity to block.

Let's say the action targets the minions of two methuselahs. Wouldn't
that make it directed towards both of them (as it targets their
resources)?

--
Bye,

Daneel

Robert Goudie

Mar 28, 2005, 2:54:51 PM3/28/05

Daneel wrote:

> What makes the card undirected when more than one methuselah's
minions
> are chosen?
>
> 6.2.2. 1st paragraph says:
>
> If the action targets another Methuselah (or something controlled by
> another Methuselah), then the action is called directed, and the
> Methuselah who is the target (or controls the target) of the action
> may use her ready untapped minions to attempt to block the action.
If
> the action is not directed at another Methuselah (or at something
> controlled by another Methuselah), then the action is called
> undirected and can be blocked by the acting Methuselah's prey or
> predator, with the prey getting the first opportunity to block.
>
> Let's say the action targets the minions of two methuselahs. Wouldn't
> that make it directed towards both of them (as it targets their
> resources)?

Nope. If it targets more than one Methuselah it is undirected.

-Robert