If a card would give him blood

Malcolm McCallum

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

Some new allies can play cards requiring basic Necromancy, Thaumaturgy,
or Quietus. Does this allow them to ignore the word 'vampire' on the card
or does it mean that they can play such cards within the subset of such
cards that do not specify vampires? ie, can Talaq lose 1 life to give
himself a Rutor's Hand, even though it specifies that it goes on an
acting vampire?

In the case that it does not allow this interpretation, Theft of Vitae is
the only card that I can find that could give life to such an ally.

In the case where the ally can read 'minion' where it says 'vampire', one
must ask how far this extends. Obviously Kherebutu could now use Soul
Stealing to regain his life.

If so, how about other non-discpline cards that have the
distinction between vampire and minion? Would Gird Minions allow you to
return his life? If so, how far does this extend? Can he gain from
hunting grounds? Ritual of the Bitter Rose (obviously only if played by
another)?

Thomas R Wylie

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96

Malcolm McCallum <mcca...@tubby.pacificcoast.net> wrote:
>Some new allies can play cards requiring basic Necromancy, Thaumaturgy,
>or Quietus. Does this allow them to ignore the word 'vampire' on the card
>or does it mean that they can play such cards within the subset of such
>cards that do not specify vampires? ie, can Talaq lose 1 life to give
>himself a Rutor's Hand, even though it specifies that it goes on an
>acting vampire?

It means they follow any instructions given to the "vampire" playing the
card as best they are able. In this case, it means that Talaq does lose
1 life when playing Rutor's Hand, Cryptic Mission will give him 1 life,
and so on.

>In the case where the ally can read 'minion' where it says 'vampire', one
>must ask how far this extends. Obviously Kherebutu could now use Soul
>Stealing to regain his life.

Yes.

> If so, how about other non-discpline cards that have the
>distinction between vampire and minion? Would Gird Minions allow you to
>return his life? If so, how far does this extend? Can he gain from
>hunting grounds? Ritual of the Bitter Rose (obviously only if played by
>another)?

They only get to play cards requiring the listed discipline(s) as if
they were vampires. They are not treated as vampires for general
card effects.

Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for
aa...@cats.ucsc.edu Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

The Corrupter

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
On 28 Jun 1996, Thomas R Wylie wrote:

> Malcolm McCallum <mcca...@tubby.pacificcoast.net> wrote:
> >Some new allies can play cards requiring basic Necromancy, Thaumaturgy,
> >or Quietus. Does this allow them to ignore the word 'vampire' on the card
> >or does it mean that they can play such cards within the subset of such
> >cards that do not specify vampires? ie, can Talaq lose 1 life to give
> >himself a Rutor's Hand, even though it specifies that it goes on an
> >acting vampire?

> It means they follow any instructions given to the "vampire" playing the
> card as best they are able.

Remember, though, they can only do this with those specific cards (the
Necromancy, Thaumaturgy, Quietus cards, as applicable). No taste of
vitae for them.

>In this case, it means that Talaq does lose
> 1 life when playing Rutor's Hand, Cryptic Mission will give him 1 life,
> and so on.

The only way (currently) for Talaq to gain life is Theft of Vitae. He
plays thaumaturgy cards at inferior.

> >In the case where the ally can read 'minion' where it says 'vampire', one
> >must ask how far this extends. Obviously Kherebutu could now use Soul
> >Stealing to regain his life.

> Yes.

No. There is no way for Kherebutu to use Soul Stealing to gain life.
Currently there is no way for a vampire to be burned by a non-vampire minion
outside of combat. Since both mummies can play _inferior_ Necromancy,
they can only play Soul Stealing as an action modifier. If they both had
superior necromancy, they could play Soul Stealing in combat and gains
benefits thereof.

Wouldn't be too big of a deal, given their pool cost.

@ The Corrupter - Adrian Lee Sullivan @ GAT/CS/WS R+++* r(+)>++
# Gamer Coffee-Addict Scripter Author # C(+++)$ USX+$ N++ e+*
@#$ Comments ? sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu $#@ tv(+)> X++ b++(+++)
@#$ <http://cslab.uwlax.edu/~sulli_al/jyhad> $#@ PS+&-+ PE&-&++ z*+?

Bastet

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Rory wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 JUN 1996 16:39:06 GMT
> From: Rory <refp...@best.com>
> Newgroups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
> Subject: Re: If a card would give him blood
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:11:25 -0700, Malcolm McCallum

> <mcca...@tubby.pacificcoast.net> wrote:
>
> >Some new allies can play cards requiring basic Necromancy, Thaumaturgy,
> >or Quietus. Does this allow them to ignore the word 'vampire' on the card
> >or does it mean that they can play such cards within the subset of such
> >cards that do not specify vampires? ie, can Talaq lose 1 life to give
> >himself a Rutor's Hand, even though it specifies that it goes on an
> >acting vampire?
>

> >In the case that it does not allow this interpretation, Theft of Vitae is
> >the only card that I can find that could give life to such an ally.
>

> >In the case where the ally can read 'minion' where it says 'vampire', one
> >must ask how far this extends. Obviously Kherebutu could now use Soul
> >Stealing to regain his life.
>

> > If so, how about other non-discpline cards that have the
> >distinction between vampire and minion? Would Gird Minions allow you to
> >return his life? If so, how far does this extend? Can he gain from
> >hunting grounds? Ritual of the Bitter Rose (obviously only if played by
> >another)?
>

> Well I read that you ignore the word vampire as if this ally was a
> vampire for the purpose of using those cards as if he were a 3
> capacity vampire with those disciplines at the basic level.
> So other card effects treat him just as if he were an ally and not a
> vampire.
> Rory
> The Ref at refp...@best.com

Well, maybe you should consider the stories behind these ally's
(which probably went into thier creation). I assume at least one (or more
or perhaps none) of these are Mummies. In that case Cards like Gird
minions, Taste of Vitae, etc. would be of little use to these guys. But
then again, Mummies are True Immortals in V:tM and can never truly "die"
in the spiritual sense like vampires and shouldn't have to worry about
this at all though they do have thier own kind of Torpor where thier Ba
(actual egyptian word for soul) goes into the umbra and restores itself
and this may take some time (50-100 years for seriously gruesome deaths
effectively taking them out of the time scope of Jyhad). I belive this
aspect may have been ommited for the sake of game balance though. If not
mummies then they are either Mages/Silent Striders/or Eshu but that
doesn't matter because in any case noone but vampires could benefit from
Blood related cards, even theft of vitae. I reccomend Flak Jackets and
dodges. Spiritual intervention suddenly has more potential.

"...I'm just a hard-working girl trying to make it in a man's world."
-Catwoman (Issue #30)
***************************************
Dharia McGrew
damc...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu
and of course.....(in other words, LOOK AT IT!!!!)
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~damcgrew

The Corrupter

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Rory wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:06:37 -0500, The Corrupter WROTE:

[RE: Superior Soul Stealing]

> Soul Steeling does not have a superior version unless I missed some >
errata. > The Ref at refp...@best.com

Soul Stealing has been erratad to be playable in combat as a superior
ability.

Rory

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
<sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu> wrote:

>> >In the case where the ally can read 'minion' where it says 'vampire', one
>> >must ask how far this extends. Obviously Kherebutu could now use Soul
>> >Stealing to regain his life.
>
>> Yes.

>No. There is no way for Kherebutu to use Soul Stealing to gain life.
>Currently there is no way for a vampire to be burned by a non-vampire minion
>outside of combat. Since both mummies can play _inferior_ Necromancy,
>they can only play Soul Stealing as an action modifier. If they both had
>superior necromancy, they could play Soul Stealing in combat and gains
>benefits thereof.

>Wouldn't be too big of a deal, given their pool cost.
>

> @ The Corrupter - Adrian Lee Sullivan @ GAT/CS/WS R+++* r(+)>++

Soul Steeling does not have a superior version unless I missed some

Rory

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 14:24:33 -0500, The Corrupter
<sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu> wrote:

>Soul Stealing has been erratad to be playable in combat as a superior
>ability.

> @ The Corrupter - Adrian Lee Sullivan @ GAT/CS/WS R+++* r(+)>++

> # Gamer Coffee-Addict Scripter Author # C(+++)$ USX+$ N++ e+*
> @#$ Comments ? sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu $#@ tv(+)> X++ b++(+++)
>@#$ <http://cslab.uwlax.edu/~sulli_al/jyhad> $#@ PS+&-+ PE&-&++ z*+?

I see what you mean.
So I have to have a minion burn a vampire as an action but not duringf
the ensuing combat in order to play this card.
What about if I rush someone (and am not blocked) or Form of Mist them
and then play the card as the action is completed or continued?