(LSJ) "During X do Y" with Informant

floppyzedolfin

Dec 15, 2010, 9:04:02 AM12/15/10
Suppose Informant is in play, and two players control at least a ready
Ishtarri (A controls the Informant, B and C have a ready Ishtarri, D
and E don't).

During A's untap phase, we use the sequencing rule to determine who,
of B and C, gets to see A's hand first. B gets that chance, and
decides to look at A's hand.

Can C look at A's hand in that same untap phase?

Thanks,
Pascal.

~~

Informant
Cardtype: Ally
Clan: Ishtarri
Mortal with 1 life. 0 strength, 0 bleed.
The Informant cannot act or block. During your untap phase, any
Methuselah who controls a ready Ishtarri may look at your hand. During
your discard phase, your predator takes control of the Informant.

LSJ

Dec 15, 2010, 9:23:13 AM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 9:04 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose Informant is in play, and two players control at least a ready
> Ishtarri (A controls the Informant, B and C have a ready Ishtarri, D
> and E don't).
>
> During A's untap phase, we use the sequencing rule to determine who,
> of B and C, gets to see A's hand first. B gets that chance, and
> decides to look at A's hand.
>
> Can C look at A's hand in that same untap phase?

Yes. In that context, "any Methuselah" may be more than one.

cf. Kindred Segregation and Scorn of Adonis

floppyzedolfin

Dec 15, 2010, 9:31:14 AM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 3:23 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 9:04 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Suppose Informant is in play, and two players control at least a ready
> > Ishtarri (A controls the Informant, B and C have a ready Ishtarri, D
> > and E don't).
>
> > During A's untap phase, we use the sequencing rule to determine who,
> > of B and C, gets to see A's hand first. B gets that chance, and
> > decides to look at A's hand.
>
> > Can C look at A's hand in that same untap phase?
>
> Yes. In that context, "any Methuselah" may be more than one.
>
> cf. Kindred Segregation and Scorn of Adonis

Well, Kindred Segregation and Scorn of Adonis don't use the "During X
do Y" template that is used in Informant.

After posting this question, I noticed another card uses a similar
template ("during X, any Y can do Z") : Fida'i.

Say I control a Fida'l and several Assamites. Per your answer above,
is step 2 below correct?
1 - Assamite A1 untaps Fida'i.
2 - Assamite A2 untaps Fida'i.

(I haven't decided yet what to do with Fida'i between 1 and 2, but
something should come to mind... Houngan, perhaps?)

Fida'i
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Assamite
Group: 2
Capacity: 2
Discipline: cel qui
Independent: Fida'i do not untap as normal during the untap phase.
[During your untap phase,] any ready Assamite you control with
capacity above 6 can burn 1 blood to untap this Fida'i. Fida'i are not
unique and do not contest. (Blood Cursed)

LSJ

Dec 15, 2010, 9:40:13 AM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 9:31 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 3:23 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 15, 9:04 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Suppose Informant is in play, and two players control at least a ready
> > > Ishtarri (A controls the Informant, B and C have a ready Ishtarri, D
> > > and E don't).
>
> > > During A's untap phase, we use the sequencing rule to determine who,
> > > of B and C, gets to see A's hand first. B gets that chance, and
> > > decides to look at A's hand.
>
> > > Can C look at A's hand in that same untap phase?
>
> > Yes. In that context, "any Methuselah" may be more than one.
>
> > cf. Kindred Segregation and Scorn of Adonis
>
> Well, Kindred Segregation and Scorn of Adonis don't use the "During X
> do Y" template that is used in Informant.
>
> After posting this question, I noticed another card uses a similar
> template ("during X, any Y can do Z") : Fida'i.
>
> Say I control a Fida'l and several Assamites. Per your answer above,
> is step 2  below correct?
> 1 - Assamite A1 untaps Fida'i.
> 2 - Assamite A2 untaps Fida'i.
>
> (I haven't decided yet what to do with Fida'i between 1 and 2, but
> something should come to mind... Houngan, perhaps?)

There's no "between". When the "do Y" is done, both A1 and A2 could
burn blood if they needed to deplete their blood totals, though, I
suppose.

floppyzedolfin

Dec 15, 2010, 9:48:21 AM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 3:40 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 9:31 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes. In that context, "any Methuselah" may be more than one.
>
> > Say I control a Fida'l and several Assamites. Per your answer above,
> > is step 2  below correct?
> > 1 - Assamite A1 untaps Fida'i.
> > 2 - Assamite A2 untaps Fida'i.
>
> > (I haven't decided yet what to do with Fida'i between 1 and 2, but
> > something should come to mind... Houngan, perhaps?)
>
> There's no "between". When the "do Y" is done, both A1 and A2 could
> burn blood if they needed to deplete their blood totals, though, I
> suppose.

Back to the Informant thingy:
B looks at A's hand.
A can't tap his Barrens before C gets to see A's hand, right?

LSJ

Dec 15, 2010, 10:01:18 AM12/15/10

Right. B and C look at A's hand in the "do Y" bit.

floppyzedolfin

Dec 15, 2010, 10:41:09 AM12/15/10

Ok, thanks a lot!

JH

Dec 16, 2010, 12:48:03 PM12/16/10

After B looks at A's hand the impulse moves back to A whose turn it
is, who can now tap Barrens to discard a card (or pass again). After
that C can look at A's hand. At least that's how I'd understand the
sequencing rules. If A says pass and neither B nor C looks at his hand
(nor anyone else do any untap phase stuff) A's untap phase ends.
Neither B nor C can look at A's hand until A has done all the non-
optional untap phase stuff, e.g. burn blood/pool for Smiling Jack. In
most scenarios this doesn't matter, but e.g. Informant can't be used
before A discards cards and/or burns pool for Constant Revolution.

witness1

Dec 16, 2010, 1:05:58 PM12/16/10

No, I think the impulse always belongs to A. When A activates
informant, B and C may look at A's hand (and A cannot pass without
activating Informant, just as he cannot pass his untap phase without
losing a pool for Anarch Revolt).

-witness1

LSJ

Dec 16, 2010, 1:28:55 PM12/16/10

B or C activates the Informant's "look at hand" effect. When
activated, both B and C can look.

A can certainly pass without activating it -- the effect is optional
(card text: may), in contrast to Anarch Revolt.

JH

Dec 16, 2010, 6:15:34 PM12/16/10

I thought the effect would activate only for one methuselah at a time.
But I guess it makes sense that it activates for them all at the same
time.