2 card questions (Charnas, Extortion)

1 view

mostly harmless

Oct 3, 2001, 6:19:29 PM10/3/01
While we were playing tonight 2 questions concerning card
interpretations arose:

1. Charnas the Imp. Is putting Charnas on another Meth's minion still
an employ retainer action and thus get the usual +1 stealth for such
actions?

2. Can inferior Extortion ("Put this card on the acting minion. The
minion with this card burns an additional blood to untap during his or
her untap phase. A Methuselah can burn the Edge to burn all Extortion
cards he or she has.") be played on an ally (it says 'minion')? If the
answer is yes, does that ally burn life instead of blood, or has the
card no effect on an ally?

Michael

The Lasombra

Oct 3, 2001, 6:47:07 PM10/3/01
"mostly harmless" <mostlyh...@chello.at> wrote in message

> While we were playing tonight 2 questions concerning card
> interpretations arose:
>
> 1. Charnas the Imp. Is putting Charnas on another Meth's minion still
> an employ retainer action and thus get the usual +1 stealth for such
> actions?

Yes.

See 6.1.4
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/rulebook.html#sec6_1_4

> 2. Can inferior Extortion be played on an ally (it says 'minion')?

Yes.

> If the answer is yes, does that ally burn life instead of blood, or has the
> card no effect on an ally?

It has no affect on allies as they ignore burn blood effects entirely.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
"Allies ignore all "burn blood" effects entirely. [TOM 19960326]"

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

--
Posted from rr-163-54-80.atl.mediaone.net [24.163.54.80]

mostly harmless

Oct 4, 2001, 8:59:38 AM10/4/01
"The Lasombra" <thela...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2c63e52236c0c46f79b...@mygate.mailgate.org>...

> "mostly harmless" <mostlyh...@chello.at> wrote in message
>

> > 2. Can inferior Extortion be played on an ally (it says 'minion')?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If the answer is yes, does that ally burn life instead of blood, or has the
> > card no effect on an ally?
>
> It has no affect on allies as they ignore burn blood effects entirely.
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
> "Allies ignore all "burn blood" effects entirely. [TOM 19960326]"

Thanks.

Regarding rules and card text, I'm sure your answer's right.

I wonder though if the precise wording on inferior Extortion was
intentional, as it's allowing a totally useless reaction to be played?

LSJ

Oct 4, 2001, 9:05:18 AM10/4/01

The wording is intentional - it prevents allies from untapping, as they
have no blood to burn. It would also prevent an empty vampire from
untapping, since he similarly cannot burn a blood "to" untap (even
though an empty vampire ignores "burn blood" effects).

Allies ignore burn blood effects, but that doesn't mean they can do
anything that they need to burn blood "to" do.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

too many secrets

Oct 4, 2001, 3:54:44 PM10/4/01
Charnas the Imp ...

Hi there - I was the one who got nailed with charnas and I don´t think
that the +1 stealth bonus applies here. Reason:

Charnas the Imp [Jyhad, V:TES]
Cardtype: Retainer

Clan: Tremere

Cost: 1 blood

Unique [demon] with 1 life.
Put Charnas on any minion <(This is a (D) action if that minion is
controlled by another Methuselah)>. The minion with this retainer
takes 1 damage each time he or she untaps. <Charnas is immune to
damage from that minion>. If the minion is burned, his or her
controlling Methuselah can put Charnas on any minion.

I have got this from the white wolf site. Since it is a directed
action (when the minion is controlled by another Methuselah) there is
no default +1 stealth for emploing this retainer. If you use it on one
of your own minions (??? who would ... but) you would get the normal
+1 stealth.

Am I completly wrong on this?

too many secrets

LSJ

Oct 4, 2001, 3:58:15 PM10/4/01
too many secrets wrote:
> Charnas the Imp ...
> Hi there - I was the one who got nailed with charnas and I don´t think
> that the +1 stealth bonus applies here. Reason:
> [...]

> I have got this from the white wolf site. Since it is a directed
> action (when the minion is controlled by another Methuselah) there is
> no default +1 stealth for emploing this retainer. If you use it on one
> of your own minions (??? who would ... but) you would get the normal
> +1 stealth.

Stealth and directedness are unrelated.
Employing a retainer is a +1 stealth action, even if that retainer is Charnas.

mostly harmless

Oct 4, 2001, 4:40:51 PM10/4/01
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BBC5E8E...@white-wolf.com>...

> mostly harmless wrote:
>
> > I wonder though if the precise wording on inferior Extortion was
> > intentional, as it's allowing a totally useless reaction to be played?
>
> The wording is intentional - it prevents allies from untapping, as they
> have no blood to burn. It would also prevent an empty vampire from
> untapping, since he similarly cannot burn a blood "to" untap (even
> though an empty vampire ignores "burn blood" effects).
>
> Allies ignore burn blood effects, but that doesn't mean they can do
> anything that they need to burn blood "to" do.

Oops. I guess I should have read the card text more carefully. I
thought it said something like "...burns an additional blood WHEN
untapping".

Thanks.

Michael