Madness Network vs "take action" vs sequencing questions (LSJ)

Stone

Feb 8, 2009, 9:06:11 AM2/8/09
ok, so after the KoT errata on Madness Network, there is no longer any "end
of minion phase actions" thingy. We also know that "take an action" means
"go beyond the step of Direct Intervention", i.e. a minion whose action card
is DI'ed hasn't taken any action.

In the set-up : A -> B (has a Malk) -> C (has a Malk). Madness Network is in
play. It's A's turn. During his minion phase, A passes. B gets the first
chance to act via MN, being the first player with a Malk, going clockwise
from A.

1/ B's Malk plays a Parity Shift. Someone plays Direct Intervention, so B's
Malk didn't "take" any action.
Who now has priority to attempt an action? I guess it's still B, since B
didn't take any action yet.

2/ B's Malk plays an action card, is blocked and cancels it with Red
Herring. The action reached resolution so is "taken" for sure, therefore A
gets back the priority to take an action. Correct ?

thanks
Stone

Name: Madness Network
[Jyhad:R, VTES:R, CE:R, KoT:R]
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Malkavian
Unique master.
Put this card in play. Untapped Malkavians can take actions in any
Methuselah's minion phase (follow normal sequencing rules). Any minion can
burn this card as an action that any untapped Malkavian (in addition to the
normally eligible blockers) can attempt to block.
Artist: Leif Jones; Anson Maddoc

Name: Red Herring
[FN:C2/PR]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Chimerstry
[chi] Only usable when this acting vampire is blocked. Untap the acting
vampire, do not tap the blocking minion, and cancel the current action and
combat. Take the card played to perform the action (if any) back into your
hand. Your vampires cannot attempt the same action again this turn. Discard
down to your hand size.
[CHI] As above, but tap the blocking minion.
Artist: Michael Gaydos

LSJ

Feb 8, 2009, 9:14:22 AM2/8/09
Stone wrote:
> ok, so after the KoT errata on Madness Network, there is no longer any "end
> of minion phase actions" thingy. We also know that "take an action" means
> "go beyond the step of Direct Intervention", i.e. a minion whose action card
> is DI'ed hasn't taken any action.
>
> In the set-up : A -> B (has a Malk) -> C (has a Malk). Madness Network is in
> play. It's A's turn. During his minion phase, A passes. B gets the first
> chance to act via MN, being the first player with a Malk, going clockwise
> from A.
>
> 1/ B's Malk plays a Parity Shift. Someone plays Direct Intervention, so B's
> Malk didn't "take" any action.
> Who now has priority to attempt an action? I guess it's still B, since B
> didn't take any action yet.

A.
Sequencing always starts with A.

> 2/ B's Malk plays an action card, is blocked and cancels it with Red
> Herring. The action reached resolution so is "taken" for sure, therefore A
> gets back the priority to take an action. Correct ?

Yes.

henrik

Feb 8, 2009, 9:25:31 AM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 3:14 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> > In the set-up : A -> B (has a Malk) -> C (has a Malk). Madness Network is in
> > play. It's A's turn. During his minion phase, A passes. B gets the first
> > chance to act via MN, being the first player with a Malk, going clockwise
> > from A.
>
> > 1/ B's Malk plays a Parity Shift. Someone plays Direct Intervention, so B's
> > Malk didn't "take" any action.
> > Who now has priority to attempt an action? I guess it's still B, since B
> > didn't take any action yet.
>
> A.
> Sequencing always starts with A.

Would the same apply for Enkil Cog? I assume so, but wanted to check
since it feels like it could get a bit weird when added to the earlier
ruling about Enkil Cog and Direct Intervention (Cog is still tapped
and the vampire may still take an action). Leaving the Enkil Cog
tapped and then wait for A to finish xer actions, and then B may
attempt an action.
It's no gamebreaking problem, but a bit weird to have the Enkil Cog
effect linger around like that imo.

Old ruling: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_frm/thread/30d989bb5d8053c2/6a32d6d73f75893e

LSJ

Feb 8, 2009, 12:12:41 PM2/8/09

I guess not. With the Cog tapped and pending, the Cog'ed minion still has the
impulse to declare an action (or let the Cog fizzle, at which point the impulse
would again go back to A).