Q: Weather Control and combat ends before range is determined

Pullen

Oct 13, 2008, 4:05:51 PM10/13/08
So vamp A plays a Weather Control and vamp B plays a Illusions of the
Kindred or Alpha Glint, does vamp B still take the damage? If yes is
their any way of stopping the damage from Weather Control?

Chris Berger

Oct 13, 2008, 4:34:11 PM10/13/08

Assuming it happens in the order you say, then yes, B still takes the
damage. There are very few interrupts in V:TES, and those are just
the ones that specifically say they cancel the play of another card.
Short of a DI or something similar, you take the Weather Control
damage immediately when it's played.

James Coupe

Oct 13, 2008, 4:22:50 PM10/13/08
In message <2a441532-fcf3-4739...@v15g2000hsa.googlegroup

s.com>, Pullen <matt...@yahoo.com> writes:
>So vamp A plays a Weather Control and vamp B plays a Illusions of the
>Kindred or Alpha Glint, does vamp B still take the damage?

Both vampire A and vampire B (and any retainers) take the damage.

# Weather Control's damage will occur even if combat is subsequently
ended before range (by Mariel or Elysium: Arboretum, e.g.) [LSJ
19971110]

> If yes is
>their any way of stopping the damage from Weather Control?

Once it's been played, I can't think of anything obvious.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Jozxyqk

Oct 13, 2008, 5:23:53 PM10/13/08

Ex Nihilo?

a-e

Oct 14, 2008, 12:17:37 AM10/14/08
On Oct 14, 12:23 am, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:

Bloodform works nicely

James Coupe

Oct 14, 2008, 2:50:04 AM10/14/08
In message <fadb240f-5886-4292...@c60g2000hsf.googlegroup

s.com>, Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>Short of a DI or something similar, you take the Weather Control
>damage immediately when it's played.

No, you don't. It sets up an effect that happens before range, but you
can play other cards there first. However, you must resolve the damage,
because the effect has been set up to happen.

The acting Methuselah can't pass the impulse when there's still some
damage to resolve, but he could shove in Carrion Crows or Drawing Out
The Beast first, or something.

Chris Berger

Oct 14, 2008, 1:20:14 PM10/14/08
On Oct 14, 1:50 am, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <fadb240f-5886-4292-8030-7b8f0675e...@c60g2000hsf.googlegroup

> s.com>, Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>
> >Short of a DI or something similar, you take the Weather Control
> >damage immediately when it's played.
>
> No, you don't.  It sets up an effect that happens before range, but you
> can play other cards there first.  However, you must resolve the damage,
> because the effect has been set up to happen.
>
> The acting Methuselah can't pass the impulse when there's still some
> damage to resolve, but he could shove in Carrion Crows or Drawing Out
> The Beast first, or something.

Good point. I guess I overstated that (and possibly misunderstood the
card previously)... It doesn't happen immediately when played, but if
an acting vampire plays the WC, then it does happen before the
reacting minion can play anything at all, since, as you say, the
acting minion cannot pass the impulse until the damage is handled.
The acting minion can play as much stuff as he wants between the play
of the WC and handling the damage (regardless of which minion played
it). Skin of Night, though, can be played by either minion in the
damage resolution step (I know that you know this, I just want to put
it in there for the case of google searches that might see my post
later).