(recap + Q) (LSJ) Winged Second

floppyzedolfin

Aug 20, 2007, 10:52:54 AM8/20/07
Winged Second [LoB:R]
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Flight
[FLIGHT] Only usable when another minion you control enters combat
with a minion without flight. Tap this minion. In that combat, this
minion may make a hand or melee weapon strike (with or without a
strike card) on the opposing minion during normal strike resolution
(as if at close range). Dodge will avoid this strike, and damage
prevention effects can treat this as a strike from an opposing minion.
This minion may be the target of effects that inflict damage or steal
blood as a retainer could be.

Let A be the acting minion, without flight, and B the reacting minion
entering combat.
C is a minion controlled by the controller of B, and C has flight.
[Later on, C may happen to be a specific vampire. If that genuine
vampire doesn't have [FLIGHT] yet, let's suppose he or she has
received a Textbook: Damnation and has played a Concordance superior.

First part - Confirmations needed

- Vampire C is not in combat, hence he cannot play non-strike combat
cards, such as Carrion Crows, Disarm, or even any prevent card.

- Vampire C is still a vampire not in the combat, so he can play
Legacy of Power.

- If A is a vampire, Vampire C isn't "opposite vampire" to vampire A,
so Rötschreck cannot be played on C if A attempts to deal aggravated
damage to C. For the same reason, Rötschreck cannot be played on
Vampire A if C attempts to deal aggravated damage to A.

- If someone strikes with Eye of the Unforgiving Haven, C will suffer
0 damage from this strike.

- Vampire C cannot use strikes only usable at long range.

- If Vampire C is Lorrie, she would only hit once.

- Oppositely at what has been said, if C has a Leather Jacket and A is
striking against C, C cannot use the Leather Jacket to prevent damage
due to that strike.

- C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.

---

Second part - answers needed

- If C's strike is a Mighty Grapple sup', is the press lost?

- Can C use strikes "that are not usable during the first round"
during the first round? during any round but the first? (even though I
can't find any corresponding card)

- Can C prevent 1 damage with a Guardian Angel?

- Could C's Ghoul Retainer use a weapon not used by C to strike?

- If A's strike is a Dodge, B's strike is something (not very
important), and C's strike is an Anesthetic Touch. Does combat stop
immediately after resolving those strikes?

I presume the reason to the answers to those question is pretty much
the same each time (more or less "C isn't in combat, so having a press
is useless / ...").

Maybe to be continued, I can't see anything else to add, right now.
(thanks to Jozxyqk for pre-clearing things)

floppyzedolfin

Aug 20, 2007, 11:57:33 AM8/20/07
correction :

> - If Vampire C is Lorrie, she would only hit once.

should be "If Vampire C is a Brujah Antitribu with a Sword of
Judgement, he can only strike once.
(since Lorrie can't play Winged Second)

John Flournoy

Aug 20, 2007, 12:48:28 PM8/20/07
On Aug 20, 9:52 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Winged Second [LoB:R]
> Cardtype: Reaction
> Discipline: Flight
> [FLIGHT] Only usable when another minion you control enters combat
> with a minion without flight. Tap this minion. In that combat, this
> minion may make a hand or melee weapon strike (with or without a
> strike card) on the opposing minion during normal strike resolution
> (as if at close range). Dodge will avoid this strike, and damage
> prevention effects can treat this as a strike from an opposing minion.
> This minion may be the target of effects that inflict damage or steal
> blood as a retainer could be.
>
> Let A be the acting minion, without flight, and B the reacting minion
> entering combat.
> C is a minion controlled by the controller of B, and C has flight.
> [Later on, C may happen to be a specific vampire. If that genuine
> vampire doesn't have [FLIGHT] yet, let's suppose he or she has
> received a Textbook: Damnation and has played a Concordance superior.
>
> First part - Confirmations needed
>
> - Vampire C is not in combat, hence he cannot play non-strike combat
> cards, such as Carrion Crows, Disarm, or even any prevent card.

Correct. (confirmed that C does not enter the combat here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/77188843abf5b28c?hl=en&)

> - Vampire C is still a vampire not in the combat, so he can play
> Legacy of Power.

Correct. (same as above)

> - If A is a vampire, Vampire C isn't "opposite vampire" to vampire A,
> so Rötschreck cannot be played on C if A attempts to deal aggravated
> damage to C. For the same reason, Rötschreck cannot be played on
> Vampire A if C attempts to deal aggravated damage to A.

Correct. C is not in the combat, and does not count for any effect
that target a minion 'in combat' or 'the opposing minion'.

> - If someone strikes with Eye of the Unforgiving Haven, C will suffer
> 0 damage from this strike.

Incorrect. Per card text "This minion may be the target of effects
that inflict damage or steal blood as a retainer could be." Eye of
Unforgiving Heaven specifically damages all retainers.

> - Vampire C cannot use strikes only usable at long range.

This is explicit in the text: 'this minion may make a hand or melee
weapon strike' - there are no hand or melee strikes only usable at
long range (and only a Kerrie can be even used at long range.)

> - If Vampire C is Lorrie, she would only hit once.

Again, explicit by text: "this minion may make _A_ hand or melee
weapon strike".

> - Oppositely at what has been said, if C has a Leather Jacket and A is
> striking against C, C cannot use the Leather Jacket to prevent damage
> due to that strike.

Incorrect. Using a leather jacket is not restricted to only by a
minion in combat (as most combat cards are), and the damage being
applied to C is 'from a strike' and thus can be prevented by a LJ.

> - C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.

C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
protect retainers per the rules.)

> ---
>
> Second part - answers needed
>
> - If C's strike is a Mighty Grapple sup', is the press lost?

Yes.

> - Can C use strikes "that are not usable during the first round"
> during the first round? during any round but the first? (even though I
> can't find any corresponding card)

I would think that their strike choice is restricted by the round, but
LSJ will need to answer it.

> - Can C prevent 1 damage with a Guardian Angel?

No. They are not in combat and thus cannot prevent the damage (read it
as '1 each combat that they are in'.)

> - Could C's Ghoul Retainer use a weapon not used by C to strike?

No. Nothing on Winged Second says that the retainers of C have any
effect on the combat (and thus an Owl Companion on C would not reveal
their hand, Dog Packs wouldn't prevent S:CE, etc etc.)

> - If A's strike is a Dodge, B's strike is something (not very
> important), and C's strike is an Anesthetic Touch. Does combat stop
> immediately after resolving those strikes?

Interesting question. LSJ?

> I presume the reason to the answers to those question is pretty much
> the same each time (more or less "C isn't in combat, so having a press
> is useless / ...").
>
> Maybe to be continued, I can't see anything else to add, right now.
> (thanks to Jozxyqk for pre-clearing things)

-John Flournoy

LSJ

Aug 20, 2007, 1:17:46 PM8/20/07
John Flournoy wrote:
> On Aug 20, 9:52 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let A be the acting minion, without flight, and B the reacting minion
>> entering combat.
>> C is a minion controlled by the controller of B, and C has flight.
>> [Later on, C may happen to be a specific vampire. If that genuine
>> vampire doesn't have [FLIGHT] yet, let's suppose he or she has
>> received a Textbook: Damnation and has played a Concordance superior.

John's answers are correct except as amended below:

Perhaps. But not if the vampire is being targeted as a retainer, which seems to
be the case, since that would mean the damage is unpreventable. [6.4.7]

>> - C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.
>
> C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
> hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
> the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
> they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
> protect retainers per the rules.)
>
>> ---
>>
>> Second part - answers needed
>>
>> - If C's strike is a Mighty Grapple sup', is the press lost?
>
> Yes.
>
>> - Can C use strikes "that are not usable during the first round"
>> during the first round? during any round but the first? (even though I
>> can't find any corresponding card)
>
> I would think that their strike choice is restricted by the round, but
> LSJ will need to answer it.

Correct.

>> - Can C prevent 1 damage with a Guardian Angel?
>
> No. They are not in combat and thus cannot prevent the damage (read it
> as '1 each combat that they are in'.)
>
>> - Could C's Ghoul Retainer use a weapon not used by C to strike?
>
> No. Nothing on Winged Second says that the retainers of C have any
> effect on the combat (and thus an Owl Companion on C would not reveal
> their hand, Dog Packs wouldn't prevent S:CE, etc etc.)
>
>> - If A's strike is a Dodge, B's strike is something (not very
>> important), and C's strike is an Anesthetic Touch. Does combat stop
>> immediately after resolving those strikes?
>
> Interesting question. LSJ?

Yes, combat ends after resolving Anesthetic Touch at [obe] or [OBE].

floppyzedolfin

Aug 20, 2007, 1:29:58 PM8/20/07

> > - If someone strikes with Eye of the Unforgiving Heaven, C will suffer

> > 0 damage from this strike.
>
> Incorrect. Per card text "This minion may be the target of effects
> that inflict damage or steal blood as a retainer could be." Eye of
> Unforgiving Heaven specifically damages all retainers.

Eye of Unforgiving Heaven inflicts 2 damage to demon retainers. Do you
mean C is considered a "demon retainer" ?

> > - Oppositely at what has been said, if C has a Leather Jacket and A is
> > striking against C, C cannot use the Leather Jacket to prevent damage
> > due to that strike.
>
> Incorrect. Using a leather jacket is not restricted to only by a
> minion in combat (as most combat cards are), and the damage being
> applied to C is 'from a strike' and thus can be prevented by a LJ.

LJ specifies "opposing minion's strike". It is not mentioned on WS
that A's strikes towards C are considerated as if A was C's opposing
minion.

> > - C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.
>
> C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
> hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
> the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
> they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
> protect retainers per the rules.)

Same debate there has been long ago, Immortal Grapple vs Stutter Step.
Since Stutter Step is a Dodge, it is not allowed as a strike, per WS's
card text.

> > Second part - answers needed

> > - Could C's Ghoul Retainer use a weapon not used by C to strike?
>
> No. Nothing on Winged Second says that the retainers of C have any
> effect on the combat (and thus an Owl Companion on C would not reveal
> their hand, Dog Packs wouldn't prevent S:CE, etc etc.)

Owl Companion and Dog Pack mention "opposing minion". Ghoul Retainer
doesn't.

witness1

Aug 20, 2007, 1:46:06 PM8/20/07
On Aug 20, 1:29 pm, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.
>
> > C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
> > hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
> > the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
> > they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
> > protect retainers per the rules.)
>
> Same debate there has been long ago, Immortal Grapple vs Stutter Step.
> Since Stutter Step is a Dodge, it is not allowed as a strike, per WS's
> card text.

Stutter-Step cannot be played if "only hand strikes (or only dodges)
are allowed". Winged Second allows hand or melee weapon strikes, which
is not "only hand strikes", so Stutter-Step is probably allowed.

witness1

LSJ

Aug 20, 2007, 3:34:13 PM8/20/07
witness1 wrote:
>>> C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
>>> hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
>>> the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
>>> they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
>>> protect retainers per the rules.)
>> Same debate there has been long ago, Immortal Grapple vs Stutter Step.
>> Since Stutter Step is a Dodge, it is not allowed as a strike, per WS's
>> card text.

Stutter-Step vs. Immortal Grapple debate resulted in:

"strike: hand strike + dodge" is a hand strike and thus is allowed by Immortal
Grapple's card text.

That result is why the text on Stutter-Step's own card text was changed in
subsequent printings to self-restrict if strikes are restricted to hand strikes.

> Stutter-Step cannot be played if "only hand strikes (or only dodges)
> are allowed". Winged Second allows hand or melee weapon strikes, which
> is not "only hand strikes", so Stutter-Step is probably allowed.

Winged Second may strike: Stutter-Step, yes.

LSJ

Aug 20, 2007, 3:50:17 PM8/20/07
LSJ wrote:
> John Flournoy wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 9:52 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Let A be the acting minion, without flight, and B the reacting minion
>>> entering combat.
>>> C is a minion controlled by the controller of B, and C has flight.
>>> [Later on, C may happen to be a specific vampire. If that genuine
>>> vampire doesn't have [FLIGHT] yet, let's suppose he or she has
>>> received a Textbook: Damnation and has played a Concordance superior.

>>> - Oppositely at what has been said, if C has a Leather Jacket and A is
>>> striking against C, C cannot use the Leather Jacket to prevent damage
>>> due to that strike.
>>
>> Incorrect. Using a leather jacket is not restricted to only by a
>> minion in combat (as most combat cards are), and the damage being
>> applied to C is 'from a strike' and thus can be prevented by a LJ.
>
> Perhaps. But not if the vampire is being targeted as a retainer, which
> seems to be the case, since that would mean the damage is unpreventable.
> [6.4.7]

... which seems to contradict text on Infection and Martyr's Resilience.

ERRATA:
The following sentences are to be removed from the rulebook:

section 6.4.6:
"Damage to retainers cannot be prevented.'

section 6.4.7:
"Such strikes cannot be dodged, and damage done to retainers cannot be prevented."

Those sentences are intended to mean that the strike/damage targeting a retainer
is not affected by the employer's dodge nor prevented by "prevent X damage
(inflicted on myself)" effects played by the employer. That is, they are not
intended to add anything themselves, but rather they merely clarify/reiterate
the conditions given/implied by 6.4.5.Dodge and normal "prevent X damage" effects.

The Winged Second can use Leather Jacket to prevent the strike damage.

And so:

>>> - C cannot strike with a Stutter-Step.
>>
>> C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
>> hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
>> the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
>> they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
>> protect retainers per the rules.)

C's dodge will protect C (although it will not protect B, since B is not the
dodging minion).

witness1

Aug 20, 2007, 4:06:51 PM8/20/07
On Aug 20, 3:50 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
> > John Flournoy wrote:
>
> >> Incorrect. Using a leather jacket is not restricted to only by a
> >> minion in combat (as most combat cards are), and the damage being
> >> applied to C is 'from a strike' and thus can be prevented by a LJ.
>
> > Perhaps. But not if the vampire is being targeted as a retainer, which
> > seems to be the case, since that would mean the damage is unpreventable.
> > [6.4.7]
>
> ... which seems to contradict text on Infection and Martyr's Resilience.

Well, we've always been okay with card text contradicting rules text
before...

> ERRATA:
> The following sentences are to be removed from the rulebook:
>
> section 6.4.6:
> "Damage to retainers cannot be prevented.'
>
> section 6.4.7:
> "Such strikes cannot be dodged, and damage done to retainers cannot be prevented."
>
> Those sentences are intended to mean that the strike/damage targeting a retainer
> is not affected by the employer's dodge nor prevented by "prevent X damage
> (inflicted on myself)" effects played by the employer. That is, they are not
> intended to add anything themselves, but rather they merely clarify/reiterate
> the conditions given/implied by 6.4.5.Dodge and normal "prevent X damage" effects.
>
> The Winged Second can use Leather Jacket to prevent the strike damage.
>
> And so:

> >> C certainly could strike with stutter step, since it does count as a
> >> hand strike. However, the dodge part would simply have no effect on
> >> the combat (and would not protect vampire C from being struck, since
> >> they are struck 'as a retainer' per card text and Dodges do not
> >> protect retainers per the rules.)
>
> C's dodge will protect C (although it will not protect B, since B is not the
> dodging minion).

...but this result makes sense.

witness1

Stone

Aug 21, 2007, 7:53:24 AM8/21/07

"witness1" <jwnew...@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de

> > ... which seems to contradict text on Infection and Martyr's Resilience.
>
> Well, we've always been okay with card text contradicting rules text
> before...

especially with the golden rule for cards " 1.4. The Golden Rule for Cards
Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence. "

which already handles quite well Infection and Martyr's Resilience, so why
go for a rather obscure change in the rulebook itself ? Why not instead add
an online clarification on Leather Jacket or Winged Second, either on the
ERC page or in the card texts, it'd be less of a hassle (and for the sake of
brief and clear sentences in the rulebook, as they are at the moment).

Stone

LSJ

Aug 21, 2007, 7:48:26 AM8/21/07

Because neither Infection nor Maryr's Resilience makes the unpreventable damage
preventable.

See also Skin of Rock vs. Weather Control.

"Less of a hassle" than "completely trivial change of making the rulebook fit
player intuition to have the same net result as players already play"? That's
hard to imagine.