LSJ: Definition of "After Action"

Blooded Sand

Jun 29, 2007, 10:32:10 AM6/29/07
Minion A takes an action. He gets blocked. Combat hilarity ensues,
with Psyche, Telepathic tracking being played. Does the action end
after the last combat, or after the first combat?

witness1

Jun 29, 2007, 10:34:53 AM6/29/07

After the last combat (and any other effects that may be played after
those combats are completed, such as Freak Drive or Cat's Guidance).

witness1

LSJ

Jun 29, 2007, 10:35:12 AM6/29/07

After the last combat.
There are never any combats that are not part of some action.

Blooded Sand

Jun 29, 2007, 10:59:36 AM6/29/07

So. Henry Taylor has PTO, blocks me. He earth melds, I psyche. if the
henry player runs out of earth melds in hand, before i run out of
psyches, he does not get to replace them till ater the last combat (in
which he hopefully dies!!), right?

LSJ

Jun 29, 2007, 11:02:50 AM6/29/07

Correct.

He keeps drawing from his library to replace the Melds played.
But he can't use his special to move any Meld from his ash heap to his library
until after all combats are finished. And then he can only move one to his library.

Ankur Gupta

Jun 29, 2007, 11:07:23 AM6/29/07
> After the last combat.
> There are never any combats that are not part of some action.

What about the combat that occurs as a result of Siren's Lure, played at
superior? Is that "part" of some action, even though it actually occurs
after its originating action resolves?

Ankur
Play. The. Game.

LSJ

Jun 29, 2007, 11:09:46 AM6/29/07

Yes. The combat, like all combats, happens in the resolution phase of the
action. In this case, though, it happens after the resolution.

Xexyz

Jun 29, 2007, 11:19:59 AM6/29/07

So how do you determine which combats happen before the resolution
phase and which happen after? Suppose Tariq rushes Alexandra, which
she blocks. In the resulting combat, Alexandra plays Majesty, and
Tariq responds by playing Psyche! to start a new combat. In this new
combat, Alexandra again plays Majesty. Tariq's buddy Thetmes then
uses Hidden Lurker to enter combat with Alexandra. After this latest
combat, no more combats are started.

So the question is, after which combat does Tariq play Freak Drive,
and after which combat does Alexandra play Cat's Guidance?

LSJ

Jun 29, 2007, 11:24:24 AM6/29/07
Xexyz wrote:
>>> What about the combat that occurs as a result of Siren's Lure, played at
>>> superior? Is that "part" of some action, even though it actually occurs
>>> after its originating action resolves?
>> Yes. The combat, like all combats, happens in the resolution phase of the
>> action. In this case, though, it happens after the resolution.
>
> So how do you determine which combats happen before the resolution
> phase and which happen after?

The one that occurs *as* resolution is pretty obvious.
It's either the block-combat or the successful-rush combat.

The ones that happen after that are after it.

They all occur in the resolution phase, though. There are no effects that force
combat in the "who can block" phase or what have you.

> Suppose Tariq rushes Alexandra, which
> she blocks. In the resulting combat, Alexandra plays Majesty, and
> Tariq responds by playing Psyche! to start a new combat. In this new
> combat, Alexandra again plays Majesty. Tariq's buddy Thetmes then
> uses Hidden Lurker to enter combat with Alexandra. After this latest
> combat, no more combats are started.
>
> So the question is, after which combat does Tariq play Freak Drive,
> and after which combat does Alexandra play Cat's Guidance?

After the last combat.

XZealot

Jun 29, 2007, 12:18:18 PM6/29/07

I thought that Alexandra was no longer considered the blocking minion
for the purposes of Hidden Lurker after the second combat created by
Psyche, or are we changing that now?

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

LSJ

Jun 29, 2007, 1:34:03 PM6/29/07

Neither.

Tariq is the acting minion.
Arika is the blocking minion.
Block-combat between them ends.
Psyche! is played.
Taris is still the acting minion (it's still the same action).
Arika is still the blocking minion (it's still the same action, it's still blocked).
Combat between them ends.
Hidden Lurker's text is satisfied.

Jozxyqk

Jun 29, 2007, 1:55:45 PM6/29/07
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> >> phase and which happen after? Suppose Tariq rushes Alexandra, which
> >> she blocks....

> Neither.

> Tariq is the acting minion.
> Arika is the blocking minion.

Arika is so strong, she is the blocking minion when Alexandra blocks.

> Block-combat between them ends.
> Psyche! is played.
> Taris is still the acting minion (it's still the same action).

Taris Hilton?

reyda

Jul 1, 2007, 1:12:07 PM7/1/07
Jozxyqk a écrit :

>>Neither.
>

>>Tariq is the acting minion.
>>Arika is the blocking minion.
>

> Arika is so strong, she is the blocking minion when Alexandra blocks.

ROFL

>>Block-combat between them ends.
>>Psyche! is played.
>>Taris is still the acting minion (it's still the same action).
>

> Taris Hilton?

ROFL