The Secret Must Be Kept + War Ghoul

ira...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2008, 7:27:59 PM6/19/08
Hello LSJ,

The Secret Must Be Kept is called, naming a War Ghoul. During the
referendum, the War Ghoul taps to burn a location, burning itself.
The Secret Must Be Kept passes. Does the War Ghoul's controller still
burn a pool? I think not.

Also, if The Secret Must Be Kept is called by a Magaji, and zero
allies/retainers are chosen, the vote is still conducted normally, and
if it passes, Voter Cap can still be played, right? I think yes.

Thanks,
Ira

Name: The Secret Must Be Kept
[LoB:R]
Cardtype: Political Action
(Requires a) Laibon.
Choose an ally or retainer. If the acting Laibon is a magaji, choose
up to two allies or retainers. Successful referendum means the chosen
allies and retainers are burned, and their controllers burn 1 pool
(each Methuselah burns no more than 1 pool, regardless of the number
of allies and retainers chosen).

Name: War Ghoul
[Sabbat:R, SW:R, Third:R/PTz]
Cardtype: Ally
Clan: Tzimisce
Cost: 3 pool
Ghoul with 5 life. 4 strength, 0 bleed.
When War Ghoul enters play, burn an ally or retainer you control. She
can enter combat with any ready vampire controlled by another
Methuselah as a (D) action. She may prevent 1 damage each round. Tap
and burn War Ghoul to burn any location; you cannot use this ability
during combat.

LSJ

Jun 19, 2008, 8:51:45 PM6/19/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello LSJ,
>
> The Secret Must Be Kept is called, naming a War Ghoul. During the
> referendum, the War Ghoul taps to burn a location, burning itself.
> The Secret Must Be Kept passes. Does the War Ghoul's controller still
> burn a pool? I think not.

Correct.

> Also, if The Secret Must Be Kept is called by a Magaji, and zero
> allies/retainers are chosen, the vote is still conducted normally, and
> if it passes, Voter Cap can still be played, right? I think yes.

Sure.

Wookie813

Jun 19, 2008, 10:17:58 PM6/19/08
On Jun 19, 8:51 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> > Also, if The Secret Must Be Kept is called by a Magaji, and zero
> > allies/retainers are chosen, the vote is still conducted normally, and
> > if it passes, Voter Cap can still be played, right? I think yes.
>
> Sure.

??.

I understood that a card that has no target cannot be played . For
example, Disputed Territory cannot be called if there are no locations
in play.

How then could TSMBK be called and 0 allies/retainers chosen? The
first line says "Choose an ally or retainer." If there are none in
play, none could be chosen and the card not a valid play. If there is
only one in play, it is the obliged choice.

A Magaji being allowed to choose "up to two" should be "(the
obligatory) one or two", should it not?

Has the ruling on Disputed Territory/[target x] been changed while I
wasn't paying attention?

John Flournoy

Jun 19, 2008, 11:05:30 PM6/19/08

Disputed Territory says "Choose a location" not "Choose up to one
location."

Other cards that have been in play for a long time using the 'up to
can equal zero' mechanic:

Blessing of the Name (you can choose to only untap the acting minion)
Create Gargoyle (you don't have to move any blood to it)
Scrounging (you don't have to look at any cards or take any into your
hand before reshuffling.)

Etc.

-John Flournoy

Wookie813

Jun 19, 2008, 11:11:41 PM6/19/08

I agree. I guess the first sentence, "Choose an ally or retainer."
doesn't apply to Magaji a la "As above, but also..." format, rather
creates a whole new parameter for choosing. Thanks for the
clarification!

Meej

Jun 20, 2008, 10:08:15 AM6/20/08
On Jun 19, 8:51 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello LSJ,
>
> > The Secret Must Be Kept is called, naming a War Ghoul.  During the
> > referendum, the War Ghoul taps to burn a location, burning itself.
> > The Secret Must Be Kept passes.  Does the War Ghoul's controller still
> > burn a pool?  I think not.
>
> Correct.

Just to be sure I'm clear on why - since this surprised me at first...

Card text seems to indicate that they're two separate effects, so the
pool-burn wouldn't be contingent on the ally/retainer being in play.
I'd have thought you identified the applicable controllers when terms
were set; apparently not. Is it the fact that TSMBK says "their
controllers burn 1 pool," and if the War Ghoul has been burned by its
own text nobody was its controller? (For parallel, assume there were
an ally/retainer who could move to someone else's control to generate
an effect. If that were targeted, and then given away during the
referendum, it would be the new controller, not the controller when
the terms were announced, who burns pool, correct?)

LSJ

Jun 20, 2008, 10:51:35 AM6/20/08

Right. Card text indicates that just the allies/retainers are chosen in the
terms of the referendum.