Pressing Flesh and Cry Wolf: LSJ

Neil

Feb 11, 2010, 4:37:20 PM2/11/10
Cry Wolf is worded somewhat differently from most other allies (which
are usually of the form <Name> has .... ), so I'm not clear what
happens when it's recalled via Pressing Flesh.

Possible readings that occurred to me:

a) None of the text on Cry Wolf applies - the sentences starting "he"
refer to "this werewolf" previously, and so don't apply to "this
zombie", and it is simply a unique zombie when recalled. This seems
the most likely reading.

b) Cry Wolf should be read as other allies, and the abilities and
downsides remain. This, though, looks unlikely.

c) Only the sentences starting "this werewolf" don't apply (so it
becomes a zombie with a press that burns if tapped during your untap
phase, but loses the mandatory rush and "does not untap" clause). This
strikes me as a rather perverse reading of the cards, but I don't see
any strong argument against it.

Relevant card texts:

Pressing Flesh
+1 stealth action.
[thn] choose an ally that was burned from play. Move that ally from
the ash heap to your ready region with this card and life equal to its
starting life. This ally is a zombie instead of what it used to be,
gets -1 bleed, cannot gain life, and may play cards that require basic
FOR as a vampire.
[THN] As above, but with an additional life.

Cry Wolf

Unique werewolf with 3 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed. Requires a ready
anarch.
If the action to recruit this ally is blocked, the acting anarch goes
to torpor. This werewolf must enter combat with any minion controlled
by another Methuselah as a (D) action. He gets one optional press each
combat. This werewolf does not untap as normal during your untap
phase. If he is tapped during your untap phase, burn him.

LSJ

Feb 11, 2010, 6:05:21 PM2/11/10
On Feb 11, 4:37 pm, Neil <drnlmul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cry Wolf is worded somewhat differently from most other allies (which
> are usually of the form <Name> has .... ), so I'm not clear what
> happens when it's recalled via Pressing Flesh.

Yeah, cause "Cry" isn't much of a name for a Garou.

> Possible readings that occurred to me:

> b) Cry Wolf should be read as other allies, and the abilities and
> downsides remain. This, though, looks unlikely.

Let's call it this, so it works as expected.

Shockwave

Feb 11, 2010, 7:09:39 PM2/11/10
On 11 Feb, 23:05, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 4:37 pm, Neil <drnlmul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Cry Wolf is worded somewhat differently from most other allies (which
> > are usually of the form <Name> has .... ), so I'm not clear what
> > happens when it's recalled via Pressing Flesh.
>
> Yeah, cause "Cry" isn't much of a name for a Garou.
>
> > Possible readings that occurred to me:
> > b) Cry Wolf should be read as other allies, and the abilities and
> > downsides remain. This, though, looks unlikely.
>
> Let's call it this, so it works as expected.

I suppose you could at least try to accelerate Khazar's Diary, in a
unusual (or at least, original) way, and you get twice the rushes from
your Werewolves.
To be honest, the prospect of a TWD called 'Diary of a Zombie
Werewolf' alone makes me want to build this, really.

brandonsantacruz

Feb 11, 2010, 8:04:24 PM2/11/10
> To be honest, the prospect of a TWD called 'Diary of a Zombie
> Werewolf' alone makes me want to build this, really.

Samedi get some decent anarch tech, I look forward to seeing the
decklist >:)

Brandon

Malone

Feb 11, 2010, 8:37:50 PM2/11/10

> I suppose you could at least try to accelerate Khazar's Diary, in a
> unusual (or at least, original) way, and you get twice the rushes from
> your Werewolves.

Use the fortitude angle and your zombie werewolves can Freak Drive
after a successful rush, and live to rush again the next turn.

Dasein

Feb 11, 2010, 9:49:43 PM2/11/10

The next turn? Why wait?
zombie werewolves rush with their built-in, freak drive, then rush
with say a bum's rush card. Or the Haven Uncovered you put on someone.
Pity you can't order it the other way, because for them to be able to
freak drive you'll need the first rush to not be blocked.
I guess they can play Daring the Dawn? Or what would happen to them if
they did? Allies treat agg damage as normal, but what if that agg
damage comes from playing a card as a vampire?

Frederick Scott

Feb 11, 2010, 10:37:50 PM2/11/10
"Dasein" <dasei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 12, 12:37 pm, Malone <kffos...@indiana.edu> wrote:
> > > I suppose you could at least try to accelerate Khazar's Diary, in a
> > > unusual (or at least, original) way, and you get twice the rushes from
> > > your Werewolves.
> >
> > Use the fortitude angle and your zombie werewolves can Freak Drive
> > after a successful rush, and live to rush again the next turn.
>
> The next turn? Why wait?
> zombie werewolves rush with their built-in, freak drive, then rush
> with say a bum's rush card. Or the Haven Uncovered you put on someone.
> Pity you can't order it the other way, because for them to be able to
> freak drive you'll need the first rush to not be blocked.

I think the point of waiting for next turn is to prevent them from
starting their next untap phase tapped and thus burning via their own
card text.

> I guess they can play Daring the Dawn? Or what would happen to them if
> they did? Allies treat agg damage as normal, but what if that agg
> damage comes from playing a card as a vampire?

Ah, this appears to me to just be a reprise of the old "Rafastio Ghoul /
Burst of Sunlight" thing. That was ultimately resolved by changing the
rules. Rule 1.6.3, fourth paragraph, includes a sentences dealing with
an ally playing a card "as a vampire" and receiving aggravated damage
from it: "If the ally gains life in excess of his capacity, it doesn't
drain off, and if the effect inflicts aggravated damage on the ally, he
burns life as normal." So it appears allies who play Daring the Dawn
"as a vampire", simply burn two life after the action is complete.

Fred

XZealot

Feb 11, 2010, 11:44:55 PM2/11/10

> To be honest, the prospect of a TWD called 'Diary of a Zombie
> Werewolf' alone makes me want to build this, really.

It's pretty much the 90 card edition of the 3rd Twilight movie

Blooded Sand

Feb 12, 2010, 9:06:22 AM2/12/10

Lolz. Of course it would have to include many mind numbs for
accuracy's sake...