Merged titles and anarchs?

Petri Wessman

May 7, 2007, 9:18:04 AM5/7/07
Quick question: say you have a vampire with the base version being
Camarilla (without title). Say the advanced version has a title
(Prince of XXX) as the "merged" ability. Now, what happens if you make
the base version an anarch (Independent) and then merge the advanced
vampire?

I can see two choices: either the merged title forces the vampire back
into the Camarilla (thus dropping the Anarch status), or the title is
ignored since the vampire is not Camarilla. I suspect the first
choice, but am not 100% sure here.

I guess that same question would apply to any outside effect that
would give a vampire a sect-related title.

//Petri

LSJ

May 7, 2007, 9:35:16 AM5/7/07
Petri Wessman wrote:
> Quick question: say you have a vampire with the base version being
> Camarilla (without title). Say the advanced version has a title
> (Prince of XXX) as the "merged" ability. Now, what happens if you make
> the base version an anarch (Independent) and then merge the advanced
> vampire?

The two versions have the same sect (Camarilla), so the merged copy doesn't
override the base copy. Meaning sect won't change when merged.

He does gain a title though, which remains inert until his sect is appropriate.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/26b2c4c1288ba57c

Morgan Vening

May 7, 2007, 9:44:11 AM5/7/07
On 7 May 2007 06:18:04 -0700, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote:

>Quick question: say you have a vampire with the base version being
>Camarilla (without title). Say the advanced version has a title
>(Prince of XXX) as the "merged" ability. Now, what happens if you make
>the base version an anarch (Independent) and then merge the advanced
>vampire?
>
>I can see two choices: either the merged title forces the vampire back
>into the Camarilla (thus dropping the Anarch status), or the title is
>ignored since the vampire is not Camarilla. I suspect the first
>choice, but am not 100% sure here.

It's the former, but not for the reason listed. When you merge a
vampire, you keep the text of the base, and ALL aspects of the
advanced. And then apply any merged ability.

1.5 Subsection 6.
When merged, the text on the base card still applies, but the rest of
the card is ignored (capacity, Disciplines, etc.). The advancement
card applies in full. If the advancement card conflicts with the base
card (a different sect, for example), the advancement card has
precedence. Some merged cards have an additional effect that only
applies if the card is merged with its base card.

This would include Sect. And as the Anarch rule states...
"If the anarch changes sect, then he is no longer anarch."

So in the end, Base Vampire Amarch gains Merge, he stops being Anarch.
Advanced Vampire Anarch gains Merge, unless there's some doo-hickey
I'm unaware of, he retains his Anarchness. The exceptions being Sascha
Vykos and Melinda Galbraith, who have sect specifically listed in
their Merge ability. Just gaining a title (Lucita) wouldn't be
sufficient, I don't think.

>I guess that same question would apply to any outside effect that
>would give a vampire a sect-related title.

If it doesn't change his sect, and is sect dependant, it goes inert.
If it does change his sect, he gains it and loses anarch status.

Morgan Vening

Morgan Vening

May 7, 2007, 9:54:30 AM5/7/07
On Mon, 07 May 2007 23:44:11 +1000, Morgan Vening
<mor...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>Quick question: say you have a vampire with the base version being
>>Camarilla (without title). Say the advanced version has a title
>>(Prince of XXX) as the "merged" ability. Now, what happens if you make
>>the base version an anarch (Independent) and then merge the advanced
>>vampire?
>>
>>I can see two choices: either the merged title forces the vampire back
>>into the Camarilla (thus dropping the Anarch status), or the title is
>>ignored since the vampire is not Camarilla. I suspect the first
>>choice, but am not 100% sure here.
>
>It's the former, but not for the reason listed. When you merge a
>vampire, you keep the text of the base, and ALL aspects of the
>advanced. And then apply any merged ability.
>
>1.5 Subsection 6.
>When merged, the text on the base card still applies, but the rest of
>the card is ignored (capacity, Disciplines, etc.). The advancement
>card applies in full. If the advancement card conflicts with the base
>card (a different sect, for example), the advancement card has
>precedence. Some merged cards have an additional effect that only
>applies if the card is merged with its base card.
>
>This would include Sect. And as the Anarch rule states...

Addendum - Seems there is a doo-hickey. I don't understand it (much
like a lot of the weird timing rulings), but there you have it. If the
printed Sects are the same on Base and Advanced, there is no change of
sect on a merge. Regardless of the state of Sect prior to merge. It's
weird things like this that discourage me from trying to figure out
how VTES rules work.

LSJ, does a base Tariq (Independant), who goes Anarch, the Merges,
change to Sabbat Black Hand, then return to Independant, retain his
Anarch status? Or is the Merge instantly applied? I know it looks like
a stupid question, but I honestly no longer know which way is up.

adam....@gmail.com

May 7, 2007, 9:58:46 AM5/7/07
On May 7, 9:44 am, Morgan Vening <mor...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

There was a neat trick that I asked about a long time ago concerning
this.

Normally, it is hard for amborgino giovanni (base) to go anarch, since
he has "1 vote".
But if you bring out amborgino giovanni (adv) first, go anarch, and
THEN merge, you become an anarch with 1 vote.
[Since anarch and giovanni are both Independent]

LSJ

May 7, 2007, 10:06:31 AM5/7/07
Morgan Vening wrote:
> LSJ, does a base Tariq (Independant), who goes Anarch, the Merges,
> change to Sabbat Black Hand, then return to Independant, retain his
> Anarch status? Or is the Merge instantly applied?

Tariq Base : Indy
Tariq Merged : Indy

-> Tariq Base in play merged with Tariq Adv from uncontrolled region doesn't
change sect.

Oko

May 9, 2007, 7:34:12 AM5/9/07

in other words, anarch Tariq-base never gets the Black Hand status
from the merge, having never been in Sabbat?

XZealot

May 9, 2007, 7:41:05 AM5/9/07

> > Tariq Base : Indy
> > Tariq Merged : Indy
>
> > -> Tariq Base in play merged with Tariq Adv from uncontrolled region doesn't
> > change sect.
>
> in other words, anarch Tariq-base never gets the Black Hand status
> from the merge, having never been in Sabbat?

Black Hand status is not tied to sect. Merged Tariq is and
Independent member of the Black Hand.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

LSJ

May 9, 2007, 7:47:37 AM5/9/07
XZealot wrote:
>>> Tariq Base : Indy
>>> Tariq Merged : Indy
>>> -> Tariq Base in play merged with Tariq Adv from uncontrolled region doesn't
>>> change sect.
>> in other words, anarch Tariq-base never gets the Black Hand status
>> from the merge, having never been in Sabbat?
>
> Black Hand status is not tied to sect. Merged Tariq is and
> Independent member of the Black Hand.

Correct.

Tariq Merged:
Independent, Black Hand, Red List, Assamite, 7 capacity, with cel AUS FOR OBF
QUI, who can rush, who can steal 1 blood as a ranged strike, on whom blood hunts
may not be called, and who is unaffected by the blood curse.