Deflect to Self, still valid?? WTF? LSJ?

jeff...@pacbell.net

May 25, 2006, 11:15:14 AM5/25/06
This situation comes up all the time, but I don't think this ruling is
common knowledge.

Deflection - Reaction (do) (1)
* Cannot be used to direct a bleed to a Methuselah who
would be an invalid target for a bleed (after Minor
Boon, e.g.) [RTR 950622]
* Can be used to redirect the bleed to yourself, thereby
granting you another opportunity to block. :B02:
[RTR 970630]

Is the second Deflection ruling still accurate?

This post indicates that is not the case any more:
http://tinyurl.com/m477e

I also noticed that the [RTR 970630] ruling is absent from this
location:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings

Deflection
dom: Only usable when you are being bled. Tap this reacting vampire.
Choose another Methuselah other than the controller of the acting
minion. The acting minion is bleeding that Methuselah.
DOM: As above, but do not tap this vampire.
(from Monger)

That "choose another" text seems to require that the new chosen Meth
must be different from yourself.

Please clarify. I don't want to find out that I've played this card
wrong for the past several years. :)

Jeff

Greg

May 25, 2006, 11:29:29 AM5/25/06

jeff...@pacbell.net wrote:
> This situation comes up all the time, but I don't think this ruling is
> common knowledge.
>
> Deflection - Reaction (do) (1)
> * Cannot be used to direct a bleed to a Methuselah who
> would be an invalid target for a bleed (after Minor
> Boon, e.g.) [RTR 950622]
> * Can be used to redirect the bleed to yourself, thereby
> granting you another opportunity to block. :B02:
> [RTR 970630]
>
> Is the second Deflection ruling still accurate?

No.

--
- Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

LSJ

May 25, 2006, 12:03:46 PM5/25/06

Greg wrote:

> jeff...@pacbell.net wrote:
> > Is the second Deflection ruling still accurate?
> No.

Correct. You cannot use Deflection to choose yourself as the target of
the bleed.

kula...@gmail.com

May 25, 2006, 1:24:04 PM5/25/06

You can use My Enemy's Enemy to send it back to you... Right? If it's
down to 2 players... Not sure how's that's helpful...

LSJ

May 25, 2006, 1:34:36 PM5/25/06
kula...@gmail.com wrote:
> You can use My Enemy's Enemy to send it back to you... Right? If it's
> down to 2 players... Not sure how's that's helpful...

Yes. It is useful in that it moves the card -- you might draw something
useful.

Or it'll get you closer to decking and then you can withdraw. :-)

kula...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 1:57:08 AM5/26/06
Or another chance to block?

If my block attempt was cancelled and if redirected to myself, can I
attempt to block again?

LSJ

May 26, 2006, 7:59:28 AM5/26/06
kulaid...@gmail.com wrote:
> If my block attempt was cancelled and if redirected to myself, can I
> attempt to block again?

No. Only when the target changes does a new block opportunity result.