Stupidest death EVER

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Mar 10, 2012, 5:29:15 PM3/10/12
That game was going so well. I had practically everything I needed.
Okay, there were a couple of things I still _wanted_ (not least, DSM),
but I could have got them with the castle wand, no problem. My
Samurai was sufficiently high-level to go on the quest whenever I
decided to get around to it. I had a really good stash, and had
identified almost all of the really important things (the only really
notable exception being scroll of genocide). I was ready to go into
the castle and get the wand.

So I came to Medusa's level, and rather than take any dangerous
risks with such a promising game, I trotted back upstairs looking
for polearm, so I could take out the moat createres with no risk
of drowning. Safer that way. I found a bec de corbin, brought it
back down, went ahead and put on my ring of levitation just in case
a typo plonked me in the drink, and prepared to start killing eels.

Huh? I can't apply a pole-arm while wearing a shield? Okay, so I
checked that there were no other monsters around (dragons, for
instance) that would be a problem, then took off my shield of
reflection and started killing eels with the bec de corbin.

Can you guess what I forgot to do when I was done with the polearm?
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/J/Jonadab/dumplog/1330733119.nh343.txt

Gah.

G-Mon

Mar 10, 2012, 6:58:50 PM3/10/12
On 10 Mar 2012, Jonadab the Unsightly One
<jonadab.the...@gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> <YASD story snipped>
>
> Can you guess what I forgot to do when I was done with the
> polearm?
> http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/J/Jonadab/dumplog/1330733119.nh343.
> txt
>
> Gah.

Before reading dumplog: Forgot to put the shield back on. (Lemme guess:
Sokoban had the bag?)

After reading dumplog: Yep, called it. On both counts.

Added comments: You had a blindfold, and were wearing an amulet of ESP.
Why didn't you at least put the blindfold on when you saw the extra @
show up on the map?
--
ATTENTION:

Our trolls are kept on a very strict diet.
Please do not feed them.

The Management,
REC.GAMES.ROGUELIKE.NETHACK TREASURE ZOO

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Mar 10, 2012, 10:23:14 PM3/10/12
On Mar 10, 6:58 pm, "G-Mon" <gmon5...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Added comments: You had a blindfold, and were wearing
> an amulet of ESP. Why didn't you at least put the blindfold
> on when you saw the extra @ show up on the map?

It didn't even occur to me that there would be a problem,
since I had reflection. Thought I had reflection. Could
have had reflection. Should have had reflection.

Capt. Cave Man

Mar 11, 2012, 12:46:55 AM3/11/12
Did have reflection... neatly tucked away over your back.

You put your arm up to shield against the shot, and then said to
yourself,

"Oh shit, there's no shield on that arm, and there is a 'bolt of certain
death' headed my way!"

Famous last words...

G-Mon

Mar 11, 2012, 8:49:08 PM3/11/12
On 10 Mar 2012, Jonadab the Unsightly One
<jonadab.the...@gmail.com> wrote in news:371f10aa-e733-4373-
902c-d09...@cj6g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
I've made it to Medusa herself twice, not counting a Valk YASD on her
level before reaching her. Both times, I had reflection (SDSM from an
early wish--both were Wizards) and still put on a blindfold before
going into her room (at least once via stairs from below).
Overpreparation, maybe, but better to overprepare than suffer Yet
Another Stupid Stoning.

rpresser

Mar 13, 2012, 12:59:11 AM3/13/12
On Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:29:15 PM UTC-5, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Can you guess what I forgot to do when I was done with the polearm?
> http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/J/Jonadab/dumplog/1330733119.nh343.txt
>
> Gah.

I died in a very similar fashion this afternoon. I was so excited about
the Eye of the Aethiopica, and that I had learned to spell it, that
I forgot to put back my amulet of reflection (from Sokoban) when I got
across the moat.

derek.t...@anritsu.com

Mar 13, 2012, 8:02:08 PM3/13/12
On Monday, March 12, 2012 9:59:11 PM UTC-7, rpresser wrote:
> I died in a very similar fashion this afternoon. I was so excited about
> the Eye of the Aethiopica, and that I had learned to spell it, that
> I forgot to put back my amulet of reflection (from Sokoban) when I got
> across the moat.

Why did you need to wear the Eye? The great thing about it is that its most useful properties (MR, branchport, and energy generation) don't require that it be worn, only that it be carried.

Anyway, lack of armor you were counting on must account for quite a high percentage of later deaths. My favorite is taking off GoP to cast a spell (or after a foocubus), and then touching a cockatrice. or you could trade your CoMR for an oilskin cloak near an eel, only to watch a spellcaster touch of death you. ; are dangerous, but at least you usually get a turn to fix the problem before they kill you.