YA Extinctionist AP (long)

Kate Nepveu

May 1, 2002, 11:16:40 PM5/1/02
This 3.3.1 wizard started out normally, but then I ran into a ton of
Hearse bones files. After the Castle & the Quest, I was at 600+ HP/PW
and -40 AC, and decided to run a non-genocide extinctionist for a
challenge--which turned out to be a challenge to my fingers and my
patience more than anything. I stretched this out over a _long_ time,
playing a bit at a time when I needed a break from work.

My goal was for create monster to fail, and for me to "feel lonely," on
every level (except for the Quest; I didn't want to kill my Quest Leader,
and create monster doesn't fail there. So I left every level but the
Home level empty, and considered it done.). I didn't bother with dipping
for water demons, reverse-genociding, or any other esoteric methods of
generating monsters (I just didn't feel like it). I did let monsters
gate in other monsters--though I stopped playing with arch-liches once I
realized that summon nasties ignores extinction.

I alternated between the bottom level of the dungeon, level 15 (the
lowest co-aligned altar), and level 1 for the initial stages. After a
while, I tamed some tough pets to kill off co-aligned unicorns and other
peacefuls. This led me to polypile for a ring of protection against
shapechangers, after I lost the usefulness of a few pets to shapechanger
corpses (it also saved me from a few close calls where I almost
reflexively sacrificed a doppelganger corpse).

Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the bottom
level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff (I'd pick-axed it out
entirely), and then trapped it in a corner with a scroll of earth. I'd
let it out occasionally to clean up--which, at one point, was a problem
when someone with a bullwhip pulled Magicbane to the ground without my
noticing. I had to page through a _lot_ of stuff to get it back (and
then revivify the corpse). Finally, on the bottom level, I stopped
getting anything (I'd only been getting sandestins for quite a while), so
I put the gelatinous cube back in its corner and then zapped it with a
magic missile.

Then I went back upstairs, where I'd set up shop with boulders around the
altar, to simplify the sacrificing/praying cycle. (My naked AC was -53
when I ascended, and I had _lots_ of spellbooks--I didn't know how long
this would take, so I was nervous about running out, though I did also
have a dozen magic markers.) The last things I got there were ki-rin and
Angels. Annoyingly, I ran out of monsters there _just_ after I'd gone to
the trouble to wish up another bag of holding, put most of the junk I'd
kicked under boulders into it, and explode it--things were starting to
get worryingly sluggish and jerky when a bunch of monsters would appear.

Down to the level above the Castle, where all I got were Archons--well,
and the monsters they summoned. I used charm monster a lot there, and
eventually ended up with one Archon pet that survived, LilyRowan3. I
gave her the blessed +6 Sunsword and a bunch of potions of gain level;
she had 400 HP by the time they stopped working. It seemed like a good
idea to have a really buff pet around for dirty work.

Then down in the Valley of the Dead, where all create monster yielded was
lemures; in Vlad's Tower, I got the high-level babies (dragons and long
and purple worms). I had a bunch of other pets too from the Archon
sessions, so mostly I just hit "create monster" and let them play--and
collected the potions, of which baby dragons drop a lot. (Eventually I
would leave all of my pets but the Archon on a different level, so they
would go wild and I could kill them; there were really way too many, and
they got in the way when I was spellcasting.)

Then I went up to level 1. There, I created just a few foxes and
kobolds; in the Mines, I went through naga hatchlings and baby
crocodiles. From there, I was done creating; I just worked my way down
level-by-level to make sure nothing was left alive.

At one point during this, I lost my Archon to a level teleport trap;
thanks to all the potions of gain level, it took a _lot_ of tries to
re-tame her by the time I found her again...

At T:428122, I was ready to re-read things, carefully pack my ascension
kit, and go see the Wizard.

It was _weird_. Besides the Wizard's Tower, things were very empty. The
Sanctum had a few ghosts, wraiths, priests, and one nalfeshnee. There
was a few episodes of the WoY sending in friends, but other than that, it
was an almost eerily calm ascent.

The save file (PatchHack DOS) was 1006KB just before going up the stairs
for level 1.

On Earth, I had the guaranteed WoY and minotaur, and one other lonely
minotaur. Air had the 3 djinni. Fire had one minotaur (why a
minotaur?). Water had a bunch of ;, of course. Here I was really
nervous about blundering into the portal, so I wore the Amulet; I *just*
managed to get LilyRowan across.

Which was good, because she killed all the high priests for me, and the
Riders too when I was busy. I see why Archons are so necessary for
pacifists...

I thought I would try to tame Pestilence and Famine, but drain life
didn't seem to do anything on Pestilence. So I said oh well, and killed
him.

I did decide not to kill the Riders umpteen times, just to leave with
them dead--which took some luring to get them all near the right altar so
I could offer the Amulet before they resurrected.

The edited dump:

Priscilla the Mage St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18 Neutral
Astral Plane $:0 HP:7945(7945) Pw:4927(4932) AC:-94 Exp:30 T:433816

Your inventory

Weapons
the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
a blessed +7 silver dagger (wielded in other hand)

Armor
an uncursed +5 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
a blessed greased fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
a blessed rustproof +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
a blessed greased rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)

/* Did get my brain sucked a few times over the game, but with magic
mapping & identify it wasn't a problem. */

a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)

Tools
a blessed greased bag of holding
a blessed +0 unicorn horn
a blessed magic lamp (lit)
the blessed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
a blessed stethoscope
a blessed blindfold
a blessed magic whistle
the blessed Bell of Opening (0:2)
a blessed greased oilskin sack named DO NOT PUT IN BAG!

Comestibles
a blessed lizard corpse named fred

/* I did get hit with a cockatrice corpse once or twice in melee, which
made me really paranoid about getting to the corpses first. */

Spellbooks
the uncursed Book of the Dead

Wands
a wand of teleportation (0:8)
a wand of death (0:7)
a wand of secret door detection (1:0)

/* Hmm. Should have put this away & taken out the wand of probing. The
teleportation & death wands were just in case; I didn't use them at
all. */

Rings
a blessed ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
a blessed ring of free action (on right hand)
a blessed ring of levitation

Amulets
the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica (being worn)

/* Hey, I like ESP, what can I say? */

Gems
a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:
11 uncursed lembas wafers
10 potions of holy water
10 blessed potions of full healing

/* I had about 200 potions of holy water in my stash. I drank all the
spare full healing before I left, which was about 90 at that point; I
would empty the stockpile every so often. I used alchemy too, because
why not? */

a magic marker (1:96)

/* All hail the RNG. Not that I used most of the magic markers I
polypiled. */

the +2 Fire Brand
the +0 Trollsbane
the +0 Dragonbane
the +0 Frost Brand
the +0 Giantslayer
the +0 Orcrist
the blessed rustproof +0 Demonbane
the +0 Werebane
the +0 Cleaver
the blessed rustproof +6 Vorpal Blade
the cursed greased +0 Mjollnir

/* Mojo was from a bones pile. I took Demonbane off an Archon and one of
the Brands off something's corpse. */

/* snip some other emergency wands, scrolls, spellbooks */

Contents of the oilskin sack named DO NOT PUT IN BAG!:

/* I really should start naming this the Emergency Kit. */

a blessed potion of full healing
a cursed wand of wishing (0:2)

/* From a bones pile, never used. (Hi, Joan, killed by a touch of death
in a maze level above the Castle!) */

a wand of wishing (1:3)

/* The Castle wand, I believe. Must have been at 0:1; I got two wishes
early, and then used this for the explodable BoH. */

2 blessed scrolls of remove curse
3 blessed scrolls of charging
a wand of cancellation (2:12)
2 potions of holy water
a blessed magic lamp

/* Left four at the stash.* /

Final attributes
You were the Envoy of Balance
[...]
You were sensing the presence of monsters
[...]
You survived

Vanquished creatures

/* Don't worry, it's not the whole list. */

Demogorgon
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Dispater
Geryon
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (8 times)

/* FoD every time. Never stole anything. */

Death (11 times)
Pestilence (10 times)
Famine (10 times)
168 arch-liches

/* Whee, summon nasties... */

4 high priests

[...]
255 Olog-hai

/* Oh yes--troll revival doesn't increment the created counter, also. */

[...]
255 black puddings

/* Whoops. */

[...]
187 ghosts

/* Also keep being generated in temples. I used the one in Minetown for
a while for this purpose, before I realized. */

[...]
2 water demons

/* Diluting potions. */

[...]
120 winter wolves

/* Though fortunately they didn't go extinct before a gremlin stole cold
resistance from me. */

[...]
255 gremlins

/* See under "black puddings". */

[...]
9 jellyfish

/* Lowest non-extinct monster. */

35770 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species

/* Okay, _this_ is the whole list. */

giant ants (extinct)
killer bees (extinct)
soldier ants (extinct)
fire ants (extinct)
giant beetles (extinct)
acid blobs (extinct)
quivering blobs (extinct)
gelatinous cubes (extinct)
chickatrices (extinct)
cockatrices (extinct)
pyrolisks (extinct)
jackals (extinct)
foxes (extinct)
coyotes (extinct)
little dogs (extinct)
dogs (extinct)
large dogs (extinct)
dingos (extinct)
wolves (extinct)
wargs (extinct)
winter wolf cubs (extinct)
winter wolves (extinct)
hell hound pups (extinct)
hell hounds (extinct)
gas spores (extinct)
floating eyes (extinct)
freezing spheres (extinct)
flaming spheres (extinct)
shocking spheres (extinct)
kittens (extinct)
housecats (extinct)
jaguars (extinct)
lynxes (extinct)
panthers (extinct)
large cats (extinct)
tigers (extinct)
gremlins (extinct)
gargoyles (extinct)
winged gargoyles (extinct)
hobbits (extinct)
dwarves (extinct)
bugbears (extinct)
dwarf lords (extinct)
dwarf kings (extinct)
mind flayers (extinct)
master mind flayers (extinct)
manes (extinct)
homunculi (extinct)
imps (extinct)
lemures (extinct)
quasits (extinct)
tengu (extinct)
blue jellies (extinct)
spotted jellies (extinct)
ochre jellies (extinct)
kobolds (extinct)
large kobolds (extinct)
kobold lords (extinct)
kobold shamans (extinct)
leprechauns (extinct)
small mimics (extinct)
large mimics (extinct)
giant mimics (extinct)
wood nymphs (extinct)
water nymphs (extinct)
mountain nymphs (extinct)
goblins (extinct)
hobgoblins (extinct)
hill orcs (extinct)
Mordor orcs (extinct)
Uruk-hai (extinct)
orc shamans (extinct)
orc-captains (extinct)
rock piercers (extinct)
iron piercers (extinct)
glass piercers (extinct)
rothes (extinct)
mumakil (extinct)
leocrottas (extinct)
wumpuses (extinct)
titanotheres (extinct)
baluchitheria (extinct)
mastodons (extinct)
sewer rats (extinct)
giant rats (extinct)
rabid rats (extinct)
rock moles (extinct)
cave spiders (extinct)
centipedes (extinct)
giant spiders (extinct)
scorpions (extinct)
lurkers above (extinct)
trappers (extinct)
white unicorns (extinct)
gray unicorns (extinct)
black unicorns (extinct)
ponies (extinct)
horses (extinct)
warhorses (extinct)
fog clouds (extinct)
dust vortices (extinct)
ice vortices (extinct)
energy vortices (extinct)
steam vortices (extinct)
fire vortices (extinct)
baby long worms (extinct)
baby purple worms (extinct)
long worms (extinct)
purple worms (extinct)
grid bugs (extinct)
xans (extinct)
yellow lights (extinct)
black lights (extinct)
zruties (extinct)
couatls (extinct)
Aleaxes (extinct)
Angels (extinct)
ki-rin (extinct)
Archons (extinct)
bats (extinct)
giant bats (extinct)
ravens (extinct)
vampire bats (extinct)
plains centaurs (extinct)
forest centaurs (extinct)
mountain centaurs (extinct)
baby gray dragons (extinct)
baby silver dragons (extinct)
baby red dragons (extinct)
baby white dragons (extinct)
baby orange dragons (extinct)
baby black dragons (extinct)
baby blue dragons (extinct)
baby green dragons (extinct)
baby yellow dragons (extinct)
gray dragons (extinct)
silver dragons (extinct)
red dragons (extinct)
white dragons (extinct)
orange dragons (extinct)
black dragons (extinct)
blue dragons (extinct)
green dragons (extinct)
yellow dragons (extinct)
stalkers (extinct)
air elementals (extinct)
fire elementals (extinct)
earth elementals (extinct)
water elementals (extinct)
lichens (extinct)
brown molds (extinct)
yellow molds (extinct)
green molds (extinct)
red molds (extinct)
shriekers (extinct)
violet fungi (extinct)
gnomes (extinct)
gnome lords (extinct)
gnomish wizards (extinct)
gnome kings (extinct)
stone giants (extinct)
hill giants (extinct)
fire giants (extinct)
frost giants (extinct)
storm giants (extinct)
ettins (extinct)
titans (extinct)
jabberwocks (extinct)
liches (extinct)
demiliches (extinct)
master liches (extinct)
arch-liches (extinct)
kobold mummies (extinct)
gnome mummies (extinct)
orc mummies (extinct)
dwarf mummies (extinct)
elf mummies (extinct)
human mummies (extinct)
ettin mummies (extinct)
giant mummies (extinct)
red naga hatchlings (extinct)
black naga hatchlings (extinct)
golden naga hatchlings (extinct)
guardian naga hatchlings (extinct)
red nagas (extinct)
black nagas (extinct)
golden nagas (extinct)
guardian nagas (extinct)
ogres (extinct)
ogre lords (extinct)
ogre kings (extinct)
gray oozes (extinct)
brown puddings (extinct)
black puddings (extinct)
green slimes (extinct)
quantum mechanics (extinct)
rust monsters (extinct)
disenchanters (extinct)
garter snakes (extinct)
snakes (extinct)
pit vipers (extinct)
pythons (extinct)
cobras (extinct)
trolls (extinct)
ice trolls (extinct)
rock trolls (extinct)
Olog-hai (extinct)
umber hulks (extinct)
vampires (extinct)
vampire lords (extinct)
barrow wights (extinct)
wraiths (extinct)
Nazguls (extinct)
xorns (extinct)
monkeys (extinct)
apes (extinct)
owlbears (extinct)
yetis (extinct)
carnivorous apes (extinct)
sasquatches (extinct)
kobold zombies (extinct)
gnome zombies (extinct)
orc zombies (extinct)
dwarf zombies (extinct)
elf zombies (extinct)
human zombies (extinct)
ettin zombies (extinct)
giant zombies (extinct)
ghouls (extinct)
straw golems (extinct)
paper golems (extinct)
rope golems (extinct)
gold golems (extinct)
leather golems (extinct)
wood golems (extinct)
flesh golems (extinct)
clay golems (extinct)
stone golems (extinct)
glass golems (extinct)
iron golems (extinct)
wererats (extinct)
werejackals (extinct)
werewolves (extinct)
Woodland-elves (extinct)
Green-elves (extinct)
Grey-elves (extinct)
elf-lords (extinct)
Elvenkings (extinct)
doppelgangers (extinct)
nurses (extinct)
soldiers (extinct)
sergeants (extinct)
lieutenants (extinct)
captains (extinct)
horned devils (extinct)
succubi (extinct)
incubi (extinct)
erinyes (extinct)
barbed devils (extinct)
mariliths (extinct)
vrocks (extinct)
hezrous (extinct)
bone devils (extinct)
ice devils (extinct)
nalfeshnees (extinct)
pit fiends (extinct)
balrogs (extinct)
sandestins (extinct)
newts (extinct)
geckos (extinct)
iguanas (extinct)
baby crocodiles (extinct)
lizards (extinct)
chameleons (extinct)
crocodiles (extinct)
salamanders (extinct)
0 species genocided.

/* By a quick compare to mons-331.txt, that's everything but queen bees,
woodchucks, all K, water moccasins, water trolls, shopkeepers, guards,
priests, ghosts, shades, water demons, djinni, and all ;. */

Voluntary challenges
You have never genocided any monster
You have used 3 wishes
You did not wish for any artifact
You did not use lifesaving
You did not use conflict

/* I polyselfed once, into an Xorn, to see if I could eat some of the
junk to tidy up, but that was too slow, so I didn't try again. */

Goodbye Priscilla the Demigoddess...
You and the invisible LilyRowan3 and the guardian Angel of Thoth
went to your reward with 61237394 points,
Magicbane (worth 400 zorkmids and 1000 points)
Fire Brand (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Trollsbane (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
Dragonbane (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
Frost Brand (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Giantslayer (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Orcrist (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
Demonbane (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Werebane (worth 7500 zorkmids and 18750 points)
Mjollnir (worth 500 zorkmids and 1250 points)
Cleaver (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)

/* LilyRowan had Sunsword, but apparently that doesn't get counted. */

Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 300000 zorkmids and 750000 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 15000 zorkmids and 37500 points)
Book of the Dead (worth 350000 zorkmids and 875000 points)
Bell of Opening (worth 100000 zorkmids and 250000 points)
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 433816 moves.
You were level 30 with a maximum of 7950 hit points when you ascended.

Whew. Now I can really start in on 3.4.0, once I have time again...

Kate
--
http://www.steelypips.org/ kate....@yale.edu
Nethack Spoilers--Updated!; Paired Readings; Book Reviews; Book Log

Wolfe

May 2, 2002, 12:04:24 AM5/2/02
On Wed, 01 May 2002 23:16:40 -0400, Kate Nepveu wrote:

> decided to run a non-genocide extinctionist for a
> challenge--which turned out to be a challenge to my fingers and my
> patience more than anything.

WOW. I've been thinking about an extinctionist for a while, but after
reading your post, I cower at the sheer amount of work necessary... I'm
not so sure anymore.

> Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the bottom
> level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff

Very cool - I call them "dungeon janitors". They are very handy for troll
corpses for vegetarians without pets/tinning kits.

> also have a dozen magic markers.

How? Random or polypiled? I always run out. I've never been able to
polypile one in my ascensions (if I get one, I *know* I'm going to die,
heh), and I've never seen a random one outside a tool shop. I end up
using half my wishes on them.

> At T:428122, I was ready to re-read things, carefully pack my ascension
> kit, and go see the Wizard.

That's almost ten times longer than my ascensions, and that felt long. I
cannot even fathom moving around for half a million turns.

> a magic marker (1:96)
> /* All hail the RNG. Not that I used most of the magic markers I
> polypiled. */

I'm green with envy. ;-)

> Genocided species
> /* Okay, _this_ is the whole list. */
> giant ants (extinct)

<HUGE snip>

Wow... I assume you need patchhack for it to show the extinct species?
AFAIK vanilla doesn't (not that I've had many chances to check). Is there
a way to see this list before the end, to check your extinctionist
progress?

> Voluntary challenges
> You have never genocided any monster
> You have used 3 wishes
> You did not wish for any artifact
> You did not use lifesaving
> You did not use conflict

Not too shabby. Few wishes even (though ready-made AKs from bones helps a
lot with that).

> and 0 pieces of gold, after 433816 moves. You were level 30 with a
> maximum of 7950 hit points when you ascended.

Congratulations!

Wolfe, the green one.

Kate Nepveu

May 2, 2002, 1:04:21 AM5/2/02
Wolfe <wolfe-und...@yahoo.example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 May 2002 23:16:40 -0400, Kate Nepveu wrote:

> > decided to run a non-genocide extinctionist for a
> > challenge--which turned out to be a challenge to my fingers and my
> > patience more than anything.

> WOW. I've been thinking about an extinctionist for a while, but after
> reading your post, I cower at the sheer amount of work necessary... I'm
> not so sure anymore.

I'm not actually sure when I started this game, but I know I was already
into the extinction mode in January.

It's actually kind of soothing after a while--very mindless.

> > also have a dozen magic markers.

> How? Random or polypiled? I always run out. I've never been able to
> polypile one in my ascensions (if I get one, I *know* I'm going to die,
> heh), and I've never seen a random one outside a tool shop. I end up
> using half my wishes on them.

A couple random, mostly polypiled. I had a big stack of stuff on the
level with the altar; Elbereth on the bottom, boulder on top, and every
so often I'd move the boulder and polypile tools (killed a lot of
unicorns), scrolls, spellbooks, wands, and potions. Polypiling scrolls
and spellbooks, of course, meant I really didn't need that many magic
markers...

> > Genocided species
> > /* Okay, _this_ is the whole list. */
> > giant ants (extinct)
> <HUGE snip>

> Wow... I assume you need patchhack for it to show the extinct species?

Yup.

> AFAIK vanilla doesn't (not that I've had many chances to check). Is there
> a way to see this list before the end, to check your extinctionist
> progress?

I admit, I savescummed just to check the list a couple of times--I had no
idea what progress I was making. I didn't reset gameplay, though. I
think there might be other patches out there to address this, though.

> > and 0 pieces of gold, after 433816 moves. You were level 30 with a
> > maximum of 7950 hit points when you ascended.

> Congratulations!

Thanks.

Steveyo

May 2, 2002, 8:19:04 AM5/2/02

Kate Nepveu wrote:

> Priscilla the Mage St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18 Neutral
> Astral Plane $:0 HP:7945(7945) Pw:4927(4932) AC:-94 Exp:30 T:433816

> Weapons
> the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
> a blessed +7 silver dagger (wielded in other hand)
>
> Armor
> an uncursed +5 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
> a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
> a blessed greased fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
> a blessed rustproof +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
> a blessed greased rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)

> a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)

> and 0 pieces of gold, after 433816 moves.

Congratulations!

Really large workload with no genocide, eh?

My extinctionist wizard used ?'s Genocide liberally, first on
non-treasure-carrying types, but after a while, on everything Geno'able.
OK, it's cheesy, but only took 120K moves.

But, hey Kate, where's the +7 armor, and the +9 or +10 weapons?

--
Steve
"Chance favors the prepared mind." - L. Pasteur

Kate Nepveu

May 2, 2002, 8:51:31 AM5/2/02
"Steveyo" <steveyo@cannedmeat,nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> Kate Nepveu wrote:

[snip YAEAP]

> > Priscilla the Mage St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18 Neutral
> > Astral Plane $:0 HP:7945(7945) Pw:4927(4932) AC:-94 Exp:30 T:433816
> > Weapons
> > the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
> > a blessed +7 silver dagger (wielded in other hand)
> >
> > Armor
> > an uncursed +5 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
> > a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
> > a blessed greased fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
> > a blessed rustproof +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
> > a blessed greased rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
> > a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
> > and 0 pieces of gold, after 433816 moves.

> Congratulations!

> Really large workload with no genocide, eh?

Yup.

> My extinctionist wizard used ?'s Genocide liberally, first on
> non-treasure-carrying types, but after a while, on everything Geno'able.
> OK, it's cheesy, but only took 120K moves.

Nah, it's a different philosophy, is all.

> But, hey Kate, where's the +7 armor, and the +9 or +10 weapons?

Well, I never enchant up MB. And I wanted to see how much protection I
could get just from praying, so I didn't bother spending the time on
armor--I spent enough time managing spells/scrolls/wands/potions that I
just couldn't work up the energy...

Steveyo

May 2, 2002, 9:24:20 AM5/2/02

Kate Nepveu wrote:
> ...--I spent enough time managing spells/scrolls/wands/potions that I

> just couldn't work up the energy...

Create, Kill, Sacrifice is kinda boring, but neat when you get to mop up all
the loads of loot left behind.

Also, you gotta love alchemy when you're dipping 50+ stacked potions, or
blanking, blessing, and poly'ing 100 scrolls. It's fun, fun, fun.

Kate Nepveu

May 2, 2002, 12:41:13 PM5/2/02
Jukka Lahtinen <juk...@despammed.com> wrote:
> Kate Nepveu <kate....@yale.edu> writes:

>>I'm not actually sure when I started this game, but I know I was already
>>into the extinction mode in January.

> There are two dates in the record / logfile entry. One of them is the date
> the game was started and the other one is when it ended.

December 2001, then.

Kate
--
http://www.steelypips.org/elsewhere.html -- kate....@yale.edu
Paired Reading Page; Book Reviews; Outside of a Dog: A Book Log

Tina Hall

May 2, 2002, 2:03:00 PM5/2/02
Kate Nepveu wrote:

> Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the
> bottom level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff (I'd
> pick-axed it out entirely), and then trapped it in a corner
> with a scroll of earth. I'd let it out occasionally to clean

> up [...]

That's a nice idea, just like the one with kicking stuff under
boulders.

In any games where I dawdle around altars and poly-piles (not
extinctionist, just no-conduct), I tend to polypile anything into
nonexistence, but with sorting and stashing, it's kind of tedious
(does make for smaller save-files, though ;) ) and I haven't got
the patience to let any piles grow too large...

> Fire had one minotaur (why a minotaur?).

Nothing else left?

> a magic marker (1:96)
>
> /* All hail the RNG. Not that I used most of the magic
> markers I polypiled. */

Wanna play a polypiling wizard too. :)

> Goodbye Priscilla the Demigoddess...

Congratulations!

--
Tina the Loony St:10 Dx:6 Co:8 In:10 Wi:14 Ch:10 Chaotic
Home2:0 $0 HP:61(63) Pw:15(15) Ac:10 Exp:10/8191 T:>15379200

Kate Nepveu

May 2, 2002, 5:25:39 PM5/2/02
Tina Hall <ti...@kruemel.dnsalias.com> wrote:
> Kate Nepveu wrote:

Sorry if this appears twice; ignore the first one, it wasn't done yet.

>> Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the
>> bottom level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff (I'd
>> pick-axed it out entirely), and then trapped it in a corner
>> with a scroll of earth. I'd let it out occasionally to clean
>> up [...]

> That's a nice idea, just like the one with kicking stuff under
> boulders.

Though this makes monsters with wands of striking an annoyance,
if the boulders are at your back.

> In any games where I dawdle around altars and poly-piles (not
> extinctionist, just no-conduct), I tend to polypile anything into
> nonexistence, but with sorting and stashing, it's kind of tedious
> (does make for smaller save-files, though ;) ) and I haven't got
> the patience to let any piles grow too large...

Yup. It was really only a problem towards the end of the monster
generation on that level, though I don't really have an estimate of
how many items I blew up in that BoH.

>> Fire had one minotaur (why a minotaur?).

> Nothing else left?

Huh--I thought I'd extincted those, as I killed 130 and nothing was being
generated anywhere by create monster except on the Quest--but they don't
show up on the extinct list. I don't understand.

>> Goodbye Priscilla the Demigoddess...

> Congratulations!

Thanks.

Paired Reading Page; Book Reviews; Outside of a Dog: A Book Log

Rast

May 2, 2002, 7:32:50 PM5/2/02
Kate Nepveu wrote on 2 May 2002 21:25:39 GMT in article
<aasasj$jfn$2...@news.ycc.yale.edu>:

> >> Fire had one minotaur (why a minotaur?).
>
> > Nothing else left?
>
> Huh--I thought I'd extincted those, as I killed 130 and nothing was being
> generated anywhere by create monster except on the Quest--but they don't
> show up on the extinct list. I don't understand.

If it was Earth, it would make sense, because probably the guaranteed
one that shows up there doesn't check extinction.

Anyway, congratulations. -53 AC naked -- that's pretty sick. It amazes
me that anyone can go so long without pissing off his god; it's all I
can do not to destroy an altar by sacrificing 2 humans in a row.

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Jimmy_B

May 2, 2002, 9:13:27 PM5/2/02
Kate Nepveu wrote:

> Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the bottom
> level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff (I'd pick-axed it out
> entirely), and then trapped it in a corner with a scroll of earth. I'd
> let it out occasionally to clean up--which, at one point, was a problem
> when someone with a bullwhip pulled Magicbane to the ground without my
> noticing. I had to page through a _lot_ of stuff to get it back (and
> then revivify the corpse).

> <snip>

> Annoyingly, I ran out of monsters there _just_ after I'd gone to
> the trouble to wish up another bag of holding, put most of the junk I'd
> kicked under boulders into it, and explode it--things were starting to
> get worryingly sluggish and jerky when a bunch of monsters would appear.

I recall reading that the (in)famous Efembe had a clever method for
getting rid of useless junk: put it into a cursed bag of holding and
#loot until it all disappears. This seems easier than using a gelatinous
cube or blowing up extra bags.

Tina Hall

May 2, 2002, 10:48:00 PM5/2/02
Kate Nepveu wrote:
> Tina Hall <ti...@kruemel.dnsalias.com> wrote:
> > Kate Nepveu wrote:
>
> Sorry if this appears twice; ignore the first one, it wasn't
> done yet.

Haven't seen it.

[keep a gelatinous cube in reserve to sweep a level]

> > That's a nice idea, just like the one with kicking stuff
> > under boulders.
>
> Though this makes monsters with wands of striking an
> annoyance, if the boulders are at your back.

One way to stop that could be putting them to sleep first, with a
spell.

> > In any games where I dawdle around altars and poly-piles
> > (not extinctionist, just no-conduct), I tend to polypile
> > anything into nonexistence, but with sorting and stashing,
> > it's kind of tedious (does make for smaller save-files,
> > though ;) ) and I haven't got the patience to let any piles
> > grow too large...
>
> Yup. It was really only a problem towards the end of the
> monster generation on that level, though I don't really have
> an estimate of how many items I blew up in that BoH.

Probably endless pages full of stuff. Maybe a cursed BoH could be
useful to get rid of gear too. I dimly remember someone proposing
that here a while ago.

> >> Fire had one minotaur (why a minotaur?).
>
> > Nothing else left?
>
> Huh--I thought I'd extincted those, as I killed 130 and
> nothing was being generated anywhere by create monster except
> on the Quest--but they don't show up on the extinct list. I
> don't understand.

Wasn't there a mention of minotaurs not appearing with create
monster in an extincionist AP a while ago? Maybe this is just
something weird with summon nasty and the counter of created,
killed or exctinct. (I'm pretty much confused about all that
anyway.)

Vladimir Florinski

May 3, 2002, 2:43:02 AM5/3/02
On Thu, 02 May 2002 19:48:00 -0700, Tina Hall wrote:

> Wasn't there a mention of minotaurs not appearing with create monster in
> an extincionist AP a while ago? Maybe this is just something weird with
> summon nasty and the counter of created, killed or exctinct. (I'm pretty
> much confused about all that anyway.)

The problem is, minotaurs are not randomly generated, and the code, as it
is now, simply does not trigger the EXTINCT flag for such creatures
(nothing to do with summon nasty). It would be nice to see this behavior
changed in the future (actually I would prefer a solid 255 limit on all
monster generation). This, at least, would leave an extinctionist with
some sense of accomplishment :)

--

Vladimir

Kate Nepveu

May 3, 2002, 10:03:49 AM5/3/02
Jimmy_B <jimmy...@postmarkme.notnet> wrote:
> Kate Nepveu wrote:

>> Housekeeping became an issue--I like a tidy dungeon. On the bottom
>> level, I had a gelatinous cube hoover up stuff (I'd pick-axed it out
>> entirely), and then trapped it in a corner with a scroll of earth.

[...]

>> Annoyingly, I ran out of monsters there _just_ after I'd gone to
>> the trouble to wish up another bag of holding, put most of the junk I'd
>> kicked under boulders into it, and explode it--things were starting to
>> get worryingly sluggish and jerky when a bunch of monsters would appear.

> I recall reading that the (in)famous Efembe had a clever method for
> getting rid of useless junk: put it into a cursed bag of holding and
> #loot until it all disappears. This seems easier than using a gelatinous
> cube or blowing up extra bags.

I like the gelatinous cube because it doesn't require any work on my part,
besides trapping it--and that was only because of my pets--but the cursed
BoH is really elegant, and I'll remember that.

Kate Nepveu

May 3, 2002, 10:04:49 AM5/3/02

Ah. Well, I killed 130 of them, I'm going to be happy with that. =>
Thanks for the information--and shame on my for not noticing that they
weren't on the extinct list.

Nethack Spoilers--Updated!; Paired Readings; Book Reviews; Book Log

bd

May 3, 2002, 2:57:54 PM5/3/02

Joan Christoph

May 16, 2002, 1:55:43 PM5/16/02

Kate Nepveu wrote:

> This 3.3.1 wizard started out normally, but then I ran into a ton of
> Hearse bones files.

(snip huge ascension tale)

> the +2 Fire Brand
> the +0 Trollsbane
> the +0 Dragonbane
> the +0 Frost Brand
> the +0 Giantslayer
> the +0 Orcrist
> the blessed rustproof +0 Demonbane
> the +0 Werebane
> the +0 Cleaver
> the blessed rustproof +6 Vorpal Blade
> the cursed greased +0 Mjollnir
>
> /* Mojo was from a bones pile. I took Demonbane off an Archon and one of
> the Brands off something's corpse. */
>

> /* From a bones pile, never used. (Hi, Joan, killed by a touch of death
> in a maze level above the Castle!) */

Well, that was probably me, as I am not very creative about player names most
of the time. Congratulations. And the Mojo was probably also from that
character, unless you found it earlier, as I see the only PatchHack touch of
death death I had was a Valkyrie. Have no idea what actually happened to
that character, have some sort of dim recollection of a Valk trying to do the
Castle without magic resistance, and being attacked by an upperlevel Lich or
Titan, and trying to run away upstairs. Although I don't know why if I a had
a wand of wishing I didn't have MR, unless that was the Valk I was trying to
run wishless, just to prove to myself that I could do it. Anyway,
congratulations on your extinctionist!

Joan

Kate Nepveu

May 16, 2002, 2:03:01 PM5/16/02
Joan Christoph <j.chr...@attbi.com> wrote:
> Kate Nepveu wrote:

>> This 3.3.1 wizard started out normally, but then I ran into a ton of
>> Hearse bones files.

>> /* Mojo was from a bones pile. I took Demonbane off an Archon and one of

>> the Brands off something's corpse. */

>> /* From a bones pile, never used. (Hi, Joan, killed by a touch of death
>> in a maze level above the Castle!) */

> Well, that was probably me, as I am not very creative about player names most
> of the time. Congratulations. And the Mojo was probably also from that
> character, unless you found it earlier,

It may well have been; I wasn't taking detailed notes.

> as I see the only PatchHack touch of
> death death I had was a Valkyrie. Have no idea what actually happened to
> that character, have some sort of dim recollection of a Valk trying to do the
> Castle without magic resistance, and being attacked by an upperlevel Lich or
> Titan, and trying to run away upstairs. Although I don't know why if I a had
> a wand of wishing I didn't have MR, unless that was the Valk I was trying to
> run wishless, just to prove to myself that I could do it. Anyway,
> congratulations on your extinctionist!

Thanks. I think it was probably a L, who was promptly smacked down, so
you may considered yourself avenged. =>

Nethack Spoilers; The Paired Reading Page; Book Reviews; Book Log