Compiling NetHack into Windows?

+VCC 5v

Apr 19, 2003, 9:06:29 PM4/19/03
What compiler should I use to make NetHack from sources, under
Windows? Microsoft Visual C?

I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
rename the shopkeepers.

[]s vcc
---
Ascensions: 1

Graham Cox

Apr 19, 2003, 11:20:28 PM4/19/03
renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in

> What compiler should I use to make NetHack from sources, under
> Windows? Microsoft Visual C?
>
> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
> rename the shopkeepers.

If you can get hold of Cygwin(www.cygwin.com), then I'd recommend that. It
is quite a size to download, and it's fiddly to get Nethack to compile
under it, but I've put together a Diff of my system if you want a copy of
that...

--
Graham
Note - Email @ needs to be moved one position

Boudewijn Waijers

Apr 20, 2003, 6:07:17 AM4/20/03
+VCC 5v, cunningly disguised as renan1...@bol.com.br wrote:

> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
> rename the shopkeepers.

Not asnwering your question, but still relevant: someone recently did the
same for the Spanish language. He posted a lot about this, which might be
very helpful in your project.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at tiscali.nl).

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Nephi

Apr 20, 2003, 1:53:33 PM4/20/03
renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in message news:<f9f812d4.03041...@posting.google.com>...

> What compiler should I use to make NetHack from sources, under
> Windows? Microsoft Visual C?
>
> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
> rename the shopkeepers.

Well, if you already have VC then, yes, use that. Otherwise use a
free compiler as others have suggested.
The source comes with project and workspace files for VC so it's
pretty easy to get it going. I use VC myself, so if you have any
major problems let me know.

--
Nephi
"Você está coberto com arroz."

+VCC 5v

Apr 20, 2003, 3:31:03 PM4/20/03
Graham Cox <aca00g...@ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Xns93632C2E9205F...@130.133.1.4>...

> renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in
>
> > What compiler should I use to make NetHack from sources, under
> > Windows? Microsoft Visual C?
> >
> > I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
> > rename the shopkeepers.
>
> If you can get hold of Cygwin(www.cygwin.com), then I'd recommend that. It
> is quite a size to download, and it's fiddly to get Nethack to compile
> under it, but I've put together a Diff of my system if you want a copy of
> that...

Too big for downloading with a 56k dial-up and too messy to set up.
:(

Ray Chason

Apr 20, 2003, 11:48:06 PM4/20/03
"Boudewijn Waijers" <bwai...@tiscali.REMOVETHIS.nl.invalid> wrote:

>+VCC 5v, cunningly disguised as renan1...@bol.com.br wrote:
>
>> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese and
>> rename the shopkeepers.
>
>Not asnwering your question, but still relevant: someone recently did the
>same for the Spanish language. He posted a lot about this, which might be
>very helpful in your project.

Soy yo. And as closely related as Spanish and Portuguese are, surely
some part of the Spanish Nethack code will be of use.

A 3.4.1 release is almost ready; my test game is now complete, and Xena
the quite unwillingly male barbarian now lives among the demigods. (I
tend to play females when testing Spanish Nethack, because certain
grammar bugs are easier to find that way, but Xena had to go and put on
an amulet of change.) All that remains is to build and test for MS-DOS
and, I suppose, to run this by my collaborators. I daresay Spanish
Nethack 3.4.1 will be available to the world before this week is through.

If you'll settle for 3.4.0, you can find the current release at
http://spanish-nethack.sourceforge.net/ .

The free Borland tools at http://community.borland.com/ (you'll need to
register to get them) build a perfectly functional Nethack; use "make -f
makefile.bcc". I also had a 3.4.0 built under OpenWatcom (requires some
tweaking) just before 3.4.1 came out, and I suppose I can do the same for
3.4.1 once the next Spanish Nethack is done.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
Just another Nethack source hacker

ras

Apr 21, 2003, 3:36:46 AM4/21/03
Is it possible to build the GUI version with MinGW at all, or do you
need MSVC++ for that?
--
What finally gave me away? Was it the hoyven or the mayven?

Darshan Shaligram

Apr 21, 2003, 3:55:25 AM4/21/03
nos...@all.ever.com (ras) writes:

[Subject: Re: Compiling NetHack into Windows?]

> Is it possible to build the GUI version with MinGW at all,

Yes. Read sys/winnt/Install.nt in your NetHack source directory.

--
Darshan Shaligram dars...@aztec.soft.net

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Apr 23, 2003, 10:21:33 AM4/23/03
Scary title:

Subject: Compiling NetHack into Windows?

Gad, a browser, a moviey player, assorted nannies and snitching devices,
crummy mail program, and the like aren't enough. Now Bill wants to
absorbe nethack?

arghhh!!!!!

:)

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
doc...@psu.edu Smeal 178 (814) 375-4700 \ / against HTML mail

+VCC 5v

Apr 24, 2003, 11:45:44 PM4/24/03
ha...@slytherin.ds.psu.edu (Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message news:<b867hd$1njc$3...@f04n12.cac.psu.edu>...

> Scary title:
>
> Subject: Compiling NetHack into Windows?
>
> Gad, a browser, a moviey player, assorted nannies and snitching devices,
> crummy mail program, and the like aren't enough. Now Bill wants to
> absorbe nethack?

LOL :)
just imagine MS-NetHack:
System requirements > Pentium 4, 256mb ram, 4GB free in HD, 128mb
video card, 17" monitor, 24x CD-ROM, etc... LOL

---
1 4767420 Renan-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod. 5263
[5318]

Benjamin Scott-Hopkins

Apr 25, 2003, 3:14:35 PM4/25/03
renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in message news:<f9f812d4.03042...@posting.google.com>...

> LOL :)
> just imagine MS-NetHack:

Hi! It looks like you are trying to
offer some corpses. Would you like to:

C)onvert an Altar
Convert Y)ourself
L)aunch the Cheat-mode Magic-user Helper (The wizard Wizard wizard)?

Chris 'Bob' Odorjan

Apr 25, 2003, 7:26:41 PM4/25/03

Yeah, I can see this happening:

[dialog box]
Convert Yourself
If you convert yourself, you might not be able to win the game.
Are you sure you want to convert yourself?
Yes No
[/dialog box]

--
Chris "Bob" Odorjan - bob...@canada.com
NH 3.4.1L C Freya-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu HP:247 Pw:68 AC:-23 Xp:21 T:140920

Yoshi348

Apr 25, 2003, 8:54:07 PM4/25/03
Chris 'Bob' Odorjan wrote:
> Benjamin Scott-Hopkins wrote:
>> renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in message
>>
>>> LOL :)
>>> just imagine MS-NetHack:
>>
>> Hi! It looks like you are trying to
>> offer some corpses. Would you like to:
>>
>> C)onvert an Altar
>> Convert Y)ourself
>> L)aunch the Cheat-mode Magic-user Helper (The wizard Wizard
>> wizard)?
>
> Yeah, I can see this happening:
>
> [dialog box]
> Convert Yourself
> If you convert yourself, you might not be able to win the game.
> Are you sure you want to convert yourself?
> Yes No
> [/dialog box]

Warning: BARBARIAN.EXE has performed an illegal operation and will be
terminated.
Do you want you possesions identified [yn]?

--
-Yoshi348

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason
so few engage in it." -Henry Ford

Jon Ericson

Apr 25, 2003, 8:22:23 PM4/25/03

I used gcc. Take a look at <www.cygwin.com>.

> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese

Have you seen <http://spanish-nethack.sourceforge.net>? Obviously
Spanish is different, but it might help you get started design-wise.

> and rename the shopkeepers.

To each his own I guess.

> []s vcc
> ---
> Ascensions: 1

Two things:

* If you're going to use a signature separator, you might as well use
the standard separator: two dashes and a space. Changing your
third '-' to a space should work.

* It isn't polite to brag. Lot's of folks here have zero ascensions
(including myself). There's no shame in that--NetHack is supposed
to be hard. Also, if you used wizard mode or something like that,
it isn't really a legitimate ascension.

Jon
--
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the
light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by

Seraph

Apr 25, 2003, 9:05:15 PM4/25/03
renan1...@bol.com.br (+VCC 5v) wrote in

> I want to make things like change the messages to Portuguese

Good luck on that, there are about 4,000 output messages in nethack.
(my count is 4068 but thats not 100% accurate).

--
Most people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features