Roguelet's ABCs...

D.J. Schreffler

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Someone asked me for these, but then their email server seems to have
gone down so it looks like I have to post for the newsgroup again...

Here we go...I wrote verses preceded by asterisks

*A: A greenish liquid on the ground,
Slow to move and makes no sound.
At its touch, though, you will sob:
You just met an ACID BLOB.

B: Flitter flutter in the air,
How I wonder why you're there!
Chasing BATS is not much fun--
The worst is when you're killed by one.

*C: A hissing lizard stads before you,
And your movement's slowing down, too.
The COCKATRICE is getting hoarse;
Time to eat that lizard corpse.

*D: O.K., Roguelet, here's a task:
Kill that think with a pick-axe.
The DWARF he is in mines of stone,
But rarely is he all alone.

E: Think again before you try
To impale a FLOATING EYE.
If you miss one with your sword,
You may soom be very bored.

F: When into a room I plunge, I
Sometimes find some VIOLET FUNGI.
Then I linger, darkly brooding
On the poison they're exuding.

*G: Nothing makes you less at home
Than conversing with a GNOME.
Shrunken, twisted, gnarled, and stooped--
An easy kill, unless you're pooped.

H: If a 'GOBLIN (HOB) waylays you,
Slice him up before he slays you.
Nothing makes you look a slob
Like running from a HOB'LIN (GOB)

*I: You've done well, so take a break,
Go to sleep, no need to wake.
Hey! You're nettled by an IMP!
Dispose of him, 'cause he's a wimp.

*J: You've made it far to see this creature:
The JABBERWOCK is gonna eat'ya!
It's appetite is quite voracious,
But not without its head! Oh, gracious!

K: Cobalt's metal, hard and shining;
Cobol's wordy and confining;
KOBOLDS topple when you strke them;
Don't feel bad, it's hard to like them.

L: See the funny little man,
Try and catch him if you can.
Quickly now! That's too slow--
Where did all your money go?

*M: I'm not what I appear to be:
I MIMIC what you want to see.
Eat my corpse if it's not old:
You can't help looking like a pile of gold!

*N: I met a veteran, drinking ale:
"I saw the beautifullest sleeping female:
I woke her up with a ringing bell--
She stole my stuff and vanished! Hell!"

*O: From Amiga to Unix; Adventure to Zork
You will not see a creature as cowardly as the ORC.
They only travel in a pack
So if you see one, watch your back!

*P: You see them goopy, thick and pasty,
And think 'Butterscotch would be quite tasty.'
But black or brown or ooze of gray,
This PUDDING's *alive*....and it's coming *your* way!

*Q: "How fast are you goint? It's not quite clear."
Says a man who proceeds to disappear.
Faster, slower, where am I?
The QUANTUM MECHANIC is quite a guy!

*R: "You keep your armor well-oiled? Good!
Your weapon, too? Heh! Knock on wood!
You ain't seen the likes of me!
I crumble any iron seen!"

*S: In the dungeon there's a hider.
Small and gray: The CAVE SPIDER.
With it's bite you start to weaken,
For a cure now go a seekin'!

T: One big monster, he called TROLL.
He don't rock, and he don't roll;
Drink no wine and smoke no stogies.
He Just Love To Eat Them Roguies.

U: There's a U -- a Unicorn!
Run right up and rub its horn.
Look at all those points you're losing!
UMBER HULKS are so confusing.

*V: A creature sure to raise some ire
Is the flying, reflectionless VAMPIRE.
He takes a bite--draws some blood--
A level gone! Your name is mud.

*W: Here ye, one of little faith:
Nothing tastes as good as WRAITH!
The vaporous form (if upon it you're dieting)
Can be a rewarding experience! Enlightening!

*X: Nothing here looks more forlorn
THan seeing afar a lonely XORN.
But wait, it's coming thorugh the wall!
I didn't think it was *that* tall.....

*Y: Of adventurers, only those most bold
Will dare to eat a YELLOW MOLD.
'I'm tired of reality--
I just don't quite know what I see...'

*Z: The Tatran being is the ZRUTY.
Wild and gigantic fellow is he?
Swing your sword and he will die.
Time for me to say "Good-Bye!"

There you go.

D.J. "The Bard" Schreffler

BPCramer

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Hi there.

My wizard Washu and her pet cat Ryo-ohki ran into a polymorph trap in the
Gnomish mines, and Ryo-ohki became a skeleton. It seems a fairly good pet, as
more than one shopkeeped has died to its bony clutches. However, I was curious
as to what such a pet would say if #chatted to, so I tried it.

#chat
Ryo-ohki rattles noisily. You freeze for a moment.--More--
You can move again.

Huh? What happened? Did my pet accidently paralyze me? Or do wizards have a
phobia about rattling bones?

Any info would be appreciated, as I've never heard this discussion happen
before.

BPCr...@aol.com
"You got whacked cuz you're weak." - Magus, Chrono Trigger
BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE. (RROOAARR!!!!)

Matthias Oettl

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

BPCramer wrote:

> #chat
> Ryo-ohki rattles noisily. You freeze for a moment.--More--
> You can move again.
>
> Huh? What happened? Did my pet accidently paralyze me? Or do wizards have a
> phobia about rattling bones?

I think you get the standard message as if the skeleton wasn't your pet and
in peaceful state. The funniest response is from a mind flayer IMHO

Matthias

di...@altavista.net

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <199807060134...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

bpcr...@aol.com (BPCramer) wrote:
> #chat
> Ryo-ohki rattles noisily. You freeze for a moment.--More--
> You can move again.
>
> Huh? What happened? Did my pet accidently paralyze me? Or do wizards have a
> phobia about rattling bones?

All characters have. When you chat to a bonesy creature, it rattles and you're
frozen for 2 turns. Scary, isn't it, those skeletons!

--
---. /) |
/ \ / _ _ | _ _ _ Dion Nicolaas

BPCramer

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Hello everybody!

I've been trying to ascend a wizard for quite a while, and gave up after two
YASD's. First was with me, at the castle, trying to enchant my armor. My
gauntlets of dexterity were in slot 'q'... you can guess what happened! Second
near ascension was with my wizard back on the way out of the dungeon with the
Amulet. Accidently zapped myself with a wand of death instead of teleport.
Apparently, magic resistance doesn't help you if you zap yourself directly,
however a ricochet off of a wall does no harm. D'oh!

On with my question:

I found a brass ring in the dungeon. My pet 'moved reluctantly' over it, so I
decided to drop it down a sink rather than trying it on. I got a message that
I've never seen before. It was something like: You hear the ring bouncing
down the drainpipe.
Also, it didn't identify the ring or even give the message 'Call a brass ring:'
so I have no idea what the ring is. Could somebody help? Thanks.

Irina Rempt

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
BPCramer (bpcr...@aol.com) wrote:

> It was something like: You hear the ring bouncing
> down the drainpipe.
> Also, it didn't identify the ring or even give the message 'Call a brass ring:'
> so I have no idea what the ring is. Could somebody help? Thanks.

It was probably a ring of hunger. That's the only ring that doesn't
give a message (if you're not blind) unless there's something on top of
the sink when you drop the ring. If there is an object on the sink (say
a rock) the ring of hunger will 'eat' it and it will disappear.

Leva the Demigoddess

--
ir...@rempt.xs4all.nl
| An elephant is a mouse with an operating system. |

WllBrkee

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
>I've never seen before. It was something like: You hear the ring bouncing

>down the drainpipe.
>Also, it didn't identify the ring or even give the message 'Call a brass
ring:'
>so I have no idea what the ring is.
Exactly. That message means nothing appeared to happen. (though this probably
makes it a ring of hunger)
---

Liam Burke
"I don't know how/you were diverted/you were perverted too;
I don't know how/you were inverted/no one alerted you...."

Sascha

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
BPCramer wrote on 15 Jul 1998 03:31:32 GMT :

> Also, it didn't identify the ring or even give the message 'Call a brass ring:'

> so I have no idea what the ring is. Could somebody help? Thanks.

it is lost. That's all.

Sascha

--
net...@gmx.de | the old E-Mail and URL
NETHACK 3.2.x SPOILER SITE : http://come.to/nethack | are still valid, but

Junebug Spade

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
AFAIK, if you were asked to call the call ring, but got no identifying
message the two ring possibilities are ring of hunger and invisibility.
To test if it's hunger, put something onto of the sink before dropping
the ring. Only hunger will eat its way through. Ummm, better test for
hunger first then:)