7DRL Challenge 2013: Date is Chosen!

Jeff Lait

Jan 31, 2013, 9:38:43 AM1/31/13
What is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
after they started writing code.

--------------

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
on the 167th hour.

The week has been chosen for the Ninth Annual 7DRL Challenge!

After an unscientific straw poll, the following scientific-looking
graph was generated:

Feb 23 - Mar 3: #######
Mar 2 - Mar 10: ##############
Mar 9 - Mar 17: ################

A discursive analysis of this shows that the use of the # sign makes
for an aesthetically pleasing method for representing bar graphs.

The week for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge has been chosen!

Within the week of March 9th to March 17th, you are hereby challenged
to write a roguelike in 168 hours!

To participate, follow these simple steps:

1) Any time on March 9th to March 17th (as measured in your time
zone), register on http://7drl.roguetemple.com.
2) Write a roguelike.
3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, add your
download link to 7drl.roguetemple.com! If not, set your status
to failed and we will all commiserate and agree that given a few scant
more hours, it could have been great.

In case something goes wrong with 7drl.roguetemple.com registration
(It won't!), use rec.games.roguelike.development as a backup.

You are encouraged to use http://7drl.org for blogging your game development.

Good Luck!

I will try to post a reminder message the Wednesday before the
challenge.
--
Jeff Lait

numeron...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2013, 6:11:37 PM1/31/13
On Friday, 1 February 2013 01:08:43 UTC+10:30, Jeff Lait wrote:

> In case something goes wrong with 7drl.roguetemple.com registration
>
> (It won't!), use rec.games.roguelike.development as a backup.

Firefox prevented this site from opening 3081 popup windows :O

And unresponsive script.

-Numeron

numeron...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2013, 6:19:46 PM1/31/13
Despite my better judgement, I allowed popups for the site and got a Log4js window with the following:

9:47:31 AM FATAL Log4js - Error in (http://7drl.roguetemple.com/jslib/yui/datatable/datatable-min.js?version=0.3) on line 19 with message (TypeError: m is null)

On topic: Looking hella forward to the 7drl.

-Numeron

sl...@slashware.net

Feb 1, 2013, 7:40:14 AM2/1/13
My bad, this happened because of the removal of the table to prevent people from submitting prior to the challenge start. :S

--
Slash

larsen....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2013, 10:36:21 PM3/2/13
Is there a Facebook event or group for 7DRLC 2013 yet? If so, I'll add it to 7drl.org.

Cheers,

Tom.

Darren Grey

Mar 3, 2013, 3:38:35 PM3/3/13
On Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:36:21 AM UTC, larsen....@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a Facebook event or group for 7DRLC 2013 yet? If so, I'll add it to 7drl.org.

Here you go:

http://www.facebook.com/events/539172886103181/

--
Darren Grey

dlcra...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2013, 1:48:27 PM3/4/13
Greetings to all 7DRL gladiators!

I am writing a book entitled Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls. The book covers the history of the roguelike genre, how the genre evolved from game to game, the state of the genre today, and how the genre's mechanics have influenced games that one might not categorize as a "pure roguelike." (You can learn more about me and my work, including my upcoming book "Stay Awhile and Listen," at www.davidlcraddock.com)

This morning I received an invite to the 7DRL challenge. I'm considering dusting off my programming skills and participating, but regardless of my participation, I'd like to document YOUR participation in a special chapter of Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls.

Here's how it would work. For those interested, I would give you a call each day and we would talk about your game's progress: the concept you started with, your schedule and work environment, challenges and how you overcame them, how the concept changed along the way, the mechanics at the heart of your game and how you went about designing and implementing them, the sacrifices you made in order to get the game done on time, and so forth--essentially chronicling each participant's personal journey, your reasons for participating, and culminating in how your project turned out and what you learned.

I would then take our interviews and flesh them out into a full chapter in Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls devoted to the 7DRL. I'd probably use the content in other ways, such as splicing interview excerpts together, weaving a narrative around them, and turning it into a 2-plus-hour audio story available for download, or packaged with the book.

Who would be interested in doing this? I'm looking for at least 5 volunteers, but if 30 people or more wanted to participate, I would do my best to accommodate everyone. We would chat over Skype once each day, at a time convenient for you, for roughly 20 minutes or as long as needed to cover anything you wanted to talk about for that day.

Please let me know if you are interested. Feel free to chime in here or send me an email at da...@davidlcraddock.com with your contact information.

Thank you in advance for any interest, and best of luck to all of you!