[Pern] YASD (#$# Nazguls)

1 view

John Q. Smith

Oct 28, 2001, 5:04:07 AM10/28/01
My poor Unbeliever was doing great... clvl ~35, *just* completed stat
gain with one last strength potion (why did he have to die right
*then*), had leveled one of the -thancs (electric one, I forget the
names, didn't dump the char, sorry) and I was hanging out right in
whichever dungeon is right next to Mirkwood, popping in & out to kill
ancient dragons & other nice things, being sure to stay close to the
stairs. Well, not close enough... he was just dumb for being in there
to begin with, I guess. To make a long story short, I only had cure
crits with me (I'm beginning to find them useless--no idea why I was too
dumb to keep any healing or *healing* on me...) was a few steps from the
stairs (it was onscreen... sheesh) and some Nazgul surrounded me with
undead and I was torn to shreds before I could complain about it.

I would've loved to kill the pest, since he (not the undead whatevers
who were barely hurting me) was the one wasting me with various spells,
but my weapon was too "mundane" for that. Of course, I'm new enough to
Pern that I have no idea what that means yet, but it seems like an
artifact with slay undead on it should've done *some* damage. Then
again, the pest was disenchanting it like mad before I learned to run
like mad.

Any ideas on what I should've done (aside from looking around the level
more with my ESP & running like mad next time I see a Nazgul)?

Andreas Koch

Oct 28, 2001, 5:09:29 AM10/28/01

John Q. Smith wrote:

> Of course, I'm new enough to
> Pern that I have no idea what that means yet, but it seems like an
> artifact with slay undead on it should've done *some* damage.

slay undead and slay demon both should work...
(and not give "mundane" messages).
Strange....

--
Andreas
Who doesn't live can never die

John Q. Smith

Oct 28, 2001, 5:26:56 AM10/28/01
slay undead and slay demon both should work...
(and not give "mundane" messages).
Strange....
________________

Wasn't for me. Does it make any difference that it was on a leveled
-thanc? I'm quite sure it had "It strikes at undead with holy wrath."
listed in there, but it's a tad late to look at it now ... :[ Go figure.

DarkGod

Oct 28, 2001, 6:17:04 AM10/28/01
While under the effect of drugs "Andreas Koch" <ma...@kochandreas.com>
wrote:

> John Q. Smith wrote:
>
>> Of course, I'm new enough to
>> Pern that I have no idea what that means yet, but it seems like an
>> artifact with slay undead on it should've done *some* damage.
> slay undead and slay demon both should work... (and not give "mundane"
> messages).
> Strange....

Slay undead and evil. Nazguls are not demons

--

-----------------------+----------------------------------------------
DarkGod comes from | Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards

Andreas Koch

Oct 28, 2001, 6:10:13 AM10/28/01

DarkGod wrote:

>>slay undead and slay demon both should work... (and not give "mundane"
>>messages).
>>Strange....
>>
> Slay undead and evil. Nazguls are not demons

Right. They are worse :)

Pat Gunn

Oct 28, 2001, 3:19:18 PM10/28/01

> stairs (it was onscreen... sheesh) and some Nazgul surrounded me with
> undead and I was torn to shreds before I could complain about it.
>
> Any ideas on what I should've done (aside from looking around the level
> more with my ESP & running like mad next time I see a Nazgul)?

Scrolls of mass genocide, scrolls of teleport, and a kick-ass bow
generally are prerequisites for killing Nazguls in Pernband. But..
there's a good reason not to bother fighting nazgul until later on
in the game (but it's spoily). Normally when I'm ready to fight the
Nazgul, I have a kit of entirely alternate gear to go at them. Don't
wear anything you can't afford to lose (or get muddy).
Good luck next time.

nyra

Oct 28, 2001, 6:49:13 PM10/28/01
"John Q. Smith" schrieb:

> My poor Unbeliever was doing great... clvl ~35, *just* completed stat
> gain with one last strength potion (why did he have to die right
> *then*), had leveled one of the -thancs (electric one, I forget the
> names, didn't dump the char, sorry)

Dethanc.
Unbelievers are slightly monstrous. And they even get that nifty
trap detection now...
My Rohan Knight Zombie Unbeliever is still going strong - Explvl
50, 1400ish hitpoints and Vorpal Blade. I'm using an "easy"
setting, though: nuked most breeders (so only every fifth level
gets flooded[1]) and monsters behave stupidly. Oh, and Death
Swords have been cast into the orcus of the "joke" monsters.

> and I was hanging out right in
> whichever dungeon is right next to Mirkwood,

Dol Guldur, most likely. It's a bit deeper than Mirkwood, with a
mirkwood-ish layout. The "real" past-mirkwood dungeon is the
land of Mordor, i think: at least it's the nearest abode of
princesses.

> To make a long story short, I only had cure

> crits with me, was a few steps from the
> stairs and some Nazgul surrounded me with

> undead and I was torn to shreds before I could complain about it.

Even at lvl 35 you _should_ have had enough time to "mc" (stop
disrupting the continuum), read a scroll of teleportation, turn
disruption back on. Turning disruption on/off doesn't cost a
turn - if you're disrupting, no-one in your immediate vicinity
can blink or teleport - including you: you have to turn it off
before teleporting.

> I would've loved to kill the pest, since he (not the undead whatevers
> who were barely hurting me) was the one wasting me with various spells,
> but my weapon was too "mundane" for that.

Meleeing a nazgul is a bad idea. They can afflict you with Black
Breath in melee, and if you attack them with too poor a weapon,
it (the weapon) may get disintegrated. I don't know the
conditions, but i twice accidentally ran into Nazgul with this
character and thus wasted two dark swords. Artefacts may be more
resistant to utter destruction, but in previous releases one
full round of melee attacks (5 blows) was enough to disintegrate
an artefact weapon; one blow was enough for anything else.

> Any ideas on what I should've done (aside from looking around the level
> more with my ESP & running like mad next time I see a Nazgul)?

The general idea with Nazgul is to leave them alone, and _if_
you fight them, fight from a distance (e.g. use a companion to
beat them up, then deal the killing blow yourself). In order to
ensure you notice them early enough, make them stand out
visually - i'm using ascii optics and have set the appearance of
all nazgul to a _violet_ W.

[1] Also, breeders will start to in-fight once they've reached a
large enough number. This disrupts _any_ continuous action
you're engaging in (resting, running, digging, waiting for
recall...) by swamping the message buffer with about a dozen
useless messages per turn.

John Q. Smith

Oct 28, 2001, 8:02:25 PM10/28/01
To me, scrolls defeat the purpose of unbelievers. E.G. I don't
use them. Not even *Acquirement* ...

Honestly, I shouldn't have been that deep, that was the main
problem. I was meeting Nazguls about every other time I went in there,
too. It seems like when you jump to the really deep depths, you start
to meet uniques like ever time or every other time, for some reason.
*shrug* Or was it because "auto scum for good levels" is on by default?

Jonathan Ellis

Oct 29, 2001, 11:23:51 AM10/29/01

John Q. Smith wrote in message <3BDCAAA1...@az.rmci.net>...

If you ever jump to deep depths, you stand a good chance of meeting all
the uniques you missed out, in the in-between depths you missed...

Jonathan.

DarkGod

Oct 29, 2001, 2:09:58 PM10/29/01
While under the effect of drugs "John Q. Smith" <jsm...@az.rmci.net>
wrote:

> To me, scrolls defeat the purpose of unbelievers. E.G. I don't use
> them. Not even *Acquirement* ...

Yeah I thought about disallowing them, but a game without recall is ..
well .. ironman

kanzid

Oct 30, 2001, 5:55:38 PM10/30/01
"DarkGod" <dar...@ifrance.com> wrote in message

> While under the effect of drugs "John Q. Smith" <jsm...@az.rmci.net>
> wrote:
>
> > To me, scrolls defeat the purpose of unbelievers. E.G. I don't use
> > them. Not even *Acquirement* ...
> Yeah I thought about disallowing them, but a game without recall is ..
> well .. ironman

It wouldn't be as bad in Pern though as none of the dungeons come anywhere
close to 100 levels, and there are also shafts up and down to make things
even easier. ( Not that I want scrolls removed though).

> --

> DarkGod comes from | Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards
> the hells for YOU ! :) | because they are subtle and quick to anger.
> Pe W Olorin YSo L:50 DL:696 A+++ R+++ Sp++ w:Mage Staff of Mana(240%)
> Pe*/PM*(Cr) D H- D c++ f- PV s- TT- d++ P++ M+ C- S++ I+++ So++ B/-
> ac- GHB- SQ+ RQ V+++ F:Mage playing Mage-like(see Pernangband Sorcerors)

--
Die! Die! Everyone must Die!