Angband Rule Number One!

Robin Smith

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
Rule Number One: No matter how frustrated you get with Angband, no matter
how sincerely you swear that you never play the blasted game again, DON'T
throw it out! You WILL want to play it again, sooner or later, and you
WILL regret throwing it out! It's just too addictive to ever give up!

(Fortunately, you can just download another copy from
ftp://export.andrew.cmu.edu/angband, and feel the overwhelming relief of
having it back again!)

. + . + . . * + . . * . +
. * . . . + . . *
. . + . . Life is too short . + . . . +
. * ~ . . + . . * . . + . * . .
. + . to play anything but Angband . . . .
. . . . . + . + . * . ~ .
. . + . + . . . . * * . . * + . . . + + . ~ + . . + .
. * . http://www.ozemail.com.au/~robinsmith * . . . * . . +
. + . + Robin Smith + . . + ~ ` . .
. . + . . . + . . . +
* . ' + . . + . * . * . * '

W. Gregory Klett

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
In article <robinsmith-26...@dy09.marconi.dialix.com.au>,
robin...@ozemail.com.au (Robin Smith) wrote:

>Rule Number One: No matter how frustrated you get with Angband, no matter
>how sincerely you swear that you never play the blasted game again, DON'T
>throw it out! You WILL want to play it again, sooner or later, and you
>WILL regret throwing it out! It's just too addictive to ever give up!
>
>(Fortunately, you can just download another copy from
>ftp://export.andrew.cmu.edu/angband, and feel the overwhelming relief of
>having it back again!)

And here I thought rule #1 was, "Don't get Cocky" 'cause it is sure to
slap you down! :)

Chris Kern

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
On 25 Jul 1998 22:04:07 GMT, robin...@ozemail.com.au (Robin Smith)
wrote:

>Rule Number One: No matter how frustrated you get with Angband, no matter
>how sincerely you swear that you never play the blasted game again, DON'T
>throw it out! You WILL want to play it again, sooner or later, and you
>WILL regret throwing it out! It's just too addictive to ever give up!

Actually that's rule #3.

Rule #1 of Angband is this: NEVER forget that you are a but a
pathetic slave to the entity that is the Random Number God. The RNG
will laugh in your face and taunt you in many ways. No matter how you
may try to evade it or con it, it knows your deepest desires. You
cannot hide from the RNG's mind what you are attempting to scum for.
It can see your character sheet and find out what resists you are
missing. It knows many insidious ways to inflict harm upon your
psyche and drive you to emotional turmoil. The RNG is a marionette,
and you are the slavering puppet. You will cry in relief when he
gives you an artifact and then wail in despair while the RNG laughs at
your pitiful failures. You CANNOT escape the horror.

Rule #2 is to always carry Phase Door scrolls.

Then comes rule #3.

-Chris
Life is short. Then it breathes nether. You die. -more-
Assumption makes an ass out of "u" and "mption."

Aidan Ryder

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
In article <35bd64aa...@news.netnitco.net>, Chris Kern
<ck...@netnitco.net> writes

>On 25 Jul 1998 22:04:07 GMT, robin...@ozemail.com.au (Robin Smith)
>wrote:
>
>>Rule Number One: No matter how frustrated you get with Angband, no matter
>>how sincerely you swear that you never play the blasted game again, DON'T
>>throw it out! You WILL want to play it again, sooner or later, and you
>>WILL regret throwing it out! It's just too addictive to ever give up!
>
>Actually that's rule #3.
>
>Rule #1 of Angband is this: NEVER forget that you are a but a
>pathetic slave to the entity that is the Random Number God. The RNG
>will laugh in your face and taunt you in many ways. No matter how you
>may try to evade it or con it, it knows your deepest desires. You
>cannot hide from the RNG's mind what you are attempting to scum for.
>It can see your character sheet and find out what resists you are
>missing. It knows many insidious ways to inflict harm upon your
>psyche and drive you to emotional turmoil. The RNG is a marionette,
>and you are the slavering puppet. You will cry in relief when he
>gives you an artifact and then wail in despair while the RNG laughs at
>your pitiful failures. You CANNOT escape the horror.
>
>Rule #2 is to always carry Phase Door scrolls.

Teleport staves, not pd scrolls. You can use a stave when confused or
blind.

>Then comes rule #3.
>
>-Chris
>Life is short. Then it breathes nether. You die. -more-
>Assumption makes an ass out of "u" and "mption."

----
Aidan Ryder -- http://members.tripod.com/~Aidan_Ryder/Start.htm

john thomas flanagan

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Aidan Ryder <Ang...@broomlee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: >
: >Rule #2 is to always carry Phase Door scrolls.

: Teleport staves, not pd scrolls. You can use a stave when confused or
: blind.

I typically carry both, unless I've got a character who can cast Phase
Door and has enough mana to use it a lot. Phase door is very useful when
pounding on a wide range of uniques, since you remain fairly close by
to continue the fight, while Teleport requires you to trudge back to the
unique every time. For the keeping-a-little-distance tactic, the
blindness/confusion problem is less of a consideration.

But then I frequently play with Stormbringer, which makes the whole
teleportation issue moot.

John Flanagan

Chris Kern

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:12:52 +0100, Aidan Ryder
<Ang...@broomlee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Rule #2 is to always carry Phase Door scrolls.
>
>Teleport staves, not pd scrolls. You can use a stave when confused or
>blind.

Teleport staves cost 3000. Phase Door scrolls cost 20. Never take
your first trip to 50' without at least one phase door scroll, and
never go to 100' without five. I carry both until stat gain, and
throughout the whole game as a warrior.

Joseph N. Hall

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Non sequitur except shallow in the dungeon. You've got to get confusion
and blindness resist before descending under 1000 or at worst 1500 feet
(in vanilla anyway). The staff is heavy and useless. Scrolls never fail
if you're not confused or blind. (Actually I'm not sure about stunning).
Note the greatly increased chance of failure for magic device use when
confused or stunned. If you don't have resist confusion and you encounter a
room full of baddies, treasure, and a confusion-breathing dragonfly, it's
best not to get started. Even worse is running into Ariel, Queen of Air
without confusion resist. You'll be lucky to *ever* get out of there.

-joseph

Thomas Scott Moyles

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Nein, nein, nein!

Think about how hard it is to get confusion resistance. You usually don't
start finding items that grant you it until you're already deep enough so
that confusion and blindness are problems!

So what do you do? Carry a staff of teleportation. For how useful they
are, they're worth the extra weight. Many a time one of my early
characters fell to an Umber Hulk before I started carrying around
Teleport staves.

Another good option is Scrolls of T-port and Potions of Cure Critical
Wounds, which cure confusion when quaffed. The big problem here is that
it takes two turns to quaff and read, as opposed to just one to use the
staff. And yes, it does make a difference, I once lost a character
because Umber Hulks do gaze every turn, and I ran out of CCW potions
before I could read a scroll.

Thomas Moyles http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/eject142

Thomas Scott Moyles

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Phase door scrolls are also an excellent buy because they allow you to
use one of the more effective combat techniques in *band.

The strategy is to use missle attacks (magical or otherwise) to pare down
an opponent running at you. When they close to melee, read the phase
door, you appear somewhere close, usually still within LOS if you're in a
a big room. Then repeat. This strategy works great against monsters that
hit to steal something, or uniques who are faster than you. It doesn't
matter if their faster if they waste all that energy chasing you!

This used to be included in this great series of tactics called "The
Angband Strategy Guide" that was posted here years ago. It was a great
thing, and if I could remember who did it, I would beg them to make it a
regular post.

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Chris Kern wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:12:52 +0100, Aidan Ryder
> <Ang...@broomlee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>Rule #2 is to always carry Phase Door scrolls.
> >

> >Teleport staves, not pd scrolls. You can use a stave when confused or
> >blind.
>

> Teleport staves cost 3000. Phase Door scrolls cost 20. Never take
> your first trip to 50' without at least one phase door scroll, and
> never go to 100' without five. I carry both until stat gain, and
> throughout the whole game as a warrior.
>
> -Chris
> Life is short. Then it breathes nether. You die. -more-
> Assumption makes an ass out of "u" and "mption."

Thomas Moyles http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/eject142

Andrew Berman

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Joseph N. Hall wrote:

> Non sequitur except shallow in the dungeon. You've got to get confusion
> and blindness resist before descending under 1000 or at worst 1500 feet
> (in vanilla anyway).

Wow, you guys play it safe! Scared of a few dragon flies? Or
some piddling young bronze dragons?
I don't worry about confusion or blindness until I start
seeing Nightmares and Lesser Titans.

If I'm ever in a true bind, I speed up, drink a cure critical or two,
and teleport-scroll out. Or a rod of ball-something in case
I'm surrounded by dark/light hounds and they keep blinding me.

Mark Howson

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Andrew Berman wrote:

> Wow, you guys play it safe! Scared of a few dragon flies? Or
> some piddling young bronze dragons?
> I don't worry about confusion or blindness until I start
> seeing Nightmares and Lesser Titans.

Heh. Expect the RNG to come crashing down on you any second now...

Mark

Joseph N. Hall

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
A bronze dragon fly and some bad luck, bad combination. As I'm
SURE you know, against a high speed opponent you can drink all
the potions you want and you can still get re-confused before you can
do anything. Your chance of getting the rod to work isn't very
good either. It's one of those things where you'll probably get
out of it, but ....

It's a really really aggravating way to die, one of those "totally
avoidable stupid macho deaths."

-joseph

Andrew Berman wrote:

> Joseph N. Hall wrote:
> >
> > Non sequitur except shallow in the dungeon. You've got to get confusion
> > and blindness resist before descending under 1000 or at worst 1500 feet
> > (in vanilla anyway).
>

> Wow, you guys play it safe! Scared of a few dragon flies? Or
> some piddling young bronze dragons?
> I don't worry about confusion or blindness until I start
> seeing Nightmares and Lesser Titans.

Phleb...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98

ck...@netnitco.net (Chris Kern) wrote:
> On 25 Jul 1998 22:04:07 GMT, robin...@ozemail.com.au (Robin Smith)
> wrote:
>
> >Rule Number One: No matter how frustrated you get with Angband, no matter
> >how sincerely you swear that you never play the blasted game again, DON'T
> >throw it out! You WILL want to play it again, sooner or later, and you
> >WILL regret throwing it out! It's just too addictive to ever give up!
>
> Actually that's rule #3.
>
> Rule #1 of Angband is this: NEVER forget that you are a but a
> pathetic slave to the entity that is the Random Number God. The RNG
> will laugh in your face and taunt you in many ways. No matter how you
> may try to evade it or con it, it knows your deepest desires. You
> cannot hide from the RNG's mind what you are attempting to scum for.
> It can see your character sheet and find out what resists you are
> missing. It knows many insidious ways to inflict harm upon your
> psyche and drive you to emotional turmoil. The RNG is a marionette,
> and you are the slavering puppet. You will cry in relief when he

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
marionetteer, marionette being a puppet itself - which reminds me...

(To the tune of 'ABBA' 'Marionette' song...)

Start my game - 'torture' is old Angband's truest name,
What to buy - how to die, all the same.

Played a mage, wasn't it true that at my every stage,
Found a shield, something to wield, made me rage.

Diving deep - nothing useful that I can keep,
Read a scroll, summon a Troll, 'go to sleep'.

Angband marionette, Angband marionette, read my $string,
Angband marionette, Angband marionette, strip my $string,
Angband marionette, Angband marionette, replace my $string,
Angband marionette, Angband marionette, set to zero all of my $strings.

OK so it was off the top of my head ... but you get the point.

cheers,

Ed

Andrew Berman

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Did I mention that I die a lot?

BTW, I just started playing with Random Artifacts and they're
cool! Dagger of Hydrae 3d4 *9,+11 flame tongue, res. fire,
+3 Wisdom, Charisma, sust. Charisma, Blessed Blade for my priest!