My thoughts: What Stern has gotten RIGHT on the 'last 5' titles :-)

Sep 15, 2011, 3:38:48 PM9/15/11
BTW the 5 games I'm referring to are BBH, IM, Avatar, TRS, and TRON.
Ya know the shorter ball time, dumbed down, whatever you wanna call
them. Plus, I now always go for the 3 games for $2.00 which I NEVER
did in the past because I don't expect a string of 10 replays on IM,
LOL.

- LANES: Each game has something unique. BBH has "ELK" inlanes for a
multiball. IM is VERY unique in that the top 2 lanes combined with
the bottom 4 are part of SIX shields. Avatar lets you collect a
character Via 'the bond', and it along with TRS lights multipliers
when you complete the top lanes. Also the 'lane change' on TRS is
unique and I like the way it works. TRON spells "CLU" to start a
mode. Every pin made has inlanes; might as well make them count for
more than just Bonus X

- Short ball times. Each game has at LEAST one 'dangerous' shot.
BBH's buck and TRS Mick can be instant death. BBH Ram works kinda
like the disc on TRON and the Amp on Avatar, shooting the ball back
fast and furious. And then IM where the War Machine, Whiplash, AND
Iron Monger shot are ALL dangerous has the lowest ball times. Plus
don't forget BBH's Buck targets, IM's drone targets, TRS Rock Star
targets and TRON Zuse targets can all be a quick hit and SDTM. IMO
the most forgiving game is Avatar coz there's no dangerous targets
like that, and the Amp is manageable. TRON also isn't too bad because
the disc is far away so you can usually handle it.

-Ramps- a great game can have NO ramps. A turd can have 5 ramps. FGY
has only one, as does Avatar. But I like variety, and got bored of
the string of one-ramp games that came for a while. I like a mix of
1,2, and 3 ramp games. FGY is a better game than TRS, in my opinion
and the one ramp FGY has barely adds ANYTHING to the game. On the
other hand I feel that the 2 ramps on TRS are very well utilized, and
the Mick on a Stick is REALLY used well to make some challenging super
jackpot shots.

-On TRS and TRON thank GOODNESS they did something with the 'skill
shot'. TRS has 2, and TRON has like 4 or 5. Skill shots of hitting
the top lane WITH lane change is just totally lame. At LEAST add a
hands free, or a 'super' skill shot like AFM, or a choice with a 3rd
flipper like SM and TRON. Mix it up.

There's lots more I like, but the games all have one thing in common-
usually my first game is quick. It takes a while to get 'warmed up'.
After a while IM gets easier, but it's not like SM where game ONE
lasts 20 minutes. And each of these has a 'just one more game'
quality to them that can last 2 hours.

ovfdfireman

Sep 15, 2011, 3:44:09 PM9/15/11

I ave reAlly been enjoying the newer sterns. It will be nice to have
some additional designers on the team alot will change I'm sure

--
ovfdfireman
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

wesley

Sep 15, 2011, 4:01:41 PM9/15/11
Stern does get several things right when one looks at the economy and
market which has changed a lot since the Bally/Williams glory days.
My hope is competition from JJP will make Stern and the new company
really storng in their products and sales and profits.

ldnayman

Sep 15, 2011, 4:56:43 PM9/15/11
Stern cabinets have really looked nice lately.

And Tron is a ton of fun to play.

That's about all I have to say about everything since Spidey.

KenH

Sep 15, 2011, 5:45:13 PM9/15/11
Nice post. I've played the first 3 on the list, and agree. To sum it
up, it is difficult, if not impossible, to stop after just *one* game
of any of these.

Wizardry

Sep 15, 2011, 6:09:12 PM9/15/11

I enjoy the longer ball ball time games like LOTR and SM, but on those
games I usually only play one credit. I hardly ever play the replay.
Therefore, I have to say that I agree that the shorter ball time games
are more addictive, and as mentioned, I also go for the $2 option, which
I would never do on a longer playing game.

--
Wizardry

Lippert

Sep 15, 2011, 6:18:30 PM9/15/11

I love how Stern pinball machines make me feel like a pinball wizard.
Like I'm really good with the silver ball! Love it. I don't understand
why some people here complain about long ball times and wanting a short
game instead. ESPECIALLY, on location when you want to milk that $2.00.
lol.

I bet Transformers will join the "A" list shortly.

--
Lippert

BC_Gambit

Sep 16, 2011, 12:11:58 AM9/16/11

Its a problem for 2 reasons.

If I put $2.00 on Spider Man, and spend the next 2 hours on the machine,
you had better hope you went to venue by yourself, because at that point
you are probably by yourself anyways :).

Or, you could play multiplayer and easily wait 20 minutes for your turn.
Whatever floats your boat.

If that still sounds like fun to you, it doesn't matter because the
sound you just heard was the location pulling the game out and not
replacing it with another pinball. Earning $2.00 in a night because an
average pinball player dared to step up? Yeah, that's really good for
pinball :)

And that is why some people like games with shorter ball times.

Lippert;1782408 Wrote:
> I love how Stern pinball machines make me feel like a pinball wizard.
> Like I'm really good with the silver ball! Love it. I don't understand
> why some people here complain about long ball times and wanting a short
> game instead. ESPECIALLY, on location when you want to milk that $2.00.
> lol.
>
> I bet Transformers will join the "A" list shortly.

--
BC_Gambit

John I

Sep 16, 2011, 12:25:47 AM9/16/11

I just spent some serious time and effort to remove the playfield
backboard from a Scared Stiff, remove all of the components and install
a backboard decal. Why do I mention this? Because one of the great
overlooked features of all the new Sterns is the full backboard plastic
artwork. Also, the row of GI lights along the top of the backboard
which lights up the playfield and greatly cuts down on the glare on the
playfield glass. This is definitely something that Stern continues to
do right.

Very few Williams/Bally games had anything more than an ugly black board
back there. MB and the prototype IJ had plastics. Thanks to Treasure
Cove for making so many great backboard decals. SS certainly looks a
ton better with this decal.

John

.

--