WMS 3-7 Special Solenoid Saver Boards

barakandl

Nov 13, 2016, 12:14:06 PM11/13/16
Hey RGP

I came up with a special solenoid saver fuse board to help protect Williams system 3 to 7 driver boards. In these Williams games the special solenoids are directly controlled by a PF switch. If this switch gets stuck or if the circuit fails in some way, the solenoid will lock on and potentially burn the driver board and solenoid coil before the 2.5A SB fuse on the power board pops. The SSS board have an individual fuse (1.25A SB) for each of the six special solenoid circuits. If the solenoid locks on for about a half second, the fuse will blow which is well before any logic chips or driver transistors are going to be damaged.

I am offering the SSS in three ways.

1- Full kit, all parts included for you to assemble and mount the board ($15).
2- Assembled PCB and mounting hardware, but female connector parts comes not assembled($20).
3- Assembled board with mounting hardware, and assembled connector ($25).
Installation guide is on my website in the Repair and conversion kit section.

Use my website or send me an email if you would like to purchase.

Pics and installation guide on website.
http://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

Thank you
Andrew

railbender

Nov 14, 2016, 11:20:19 AM11/14/16

> I came up with a special solenoid saver fuse board to help protect Williams system 3 to 7 driver boards. In these Williams games the special solenoids are directly controlled by a PF switch. If this switch gets stuck or if the circuit fails in some way, the solenoid will lock on and potentially burn the driver board and solenoid coil before the 2.5A SB fuse on the power board pops. The SSS board have an individual fuse (1.25A SB) for each of the six special solenoid circuits. If the solenoid locks on for about a half second, the fuse will blow which is well before any logic chips or driver transistors are going to be damaged.

Hey Andrew,

Is there any reason these can't work on system 9-11 that have special solenoids?

Great idea btw

Kenny

trader...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2016, 12:23:55 PM11/14/16
Short answer - no.

Longer answer - on Sys11B games and later this isn't necessary since the special solenoids are not controlled by dedicated playfield switches.

Earlier games you would have issues with placement and wiring, especially the Sys11 games and where the special solenoid connector is located on those machines.

Still, a nice idea for the Sys3-7 games. Another useful piece from Andrew helping out the community. Good luck!

viperrwk

railbender

Nov 14, 2016, 1:19:46 PM11/14/16

> Longer answer - on Sys11B games and later this isn't necessary since the special solenoids are not controlled by dedicated playfield switches.

This is interesting because my System 11b Space Station definitely has special solenoids.

Since 1J19 (special solenoid drive) on system 11 appears to be a flipped version of 1J12 on system 3-7 even down to the pin location of the flipper grounds, I thought I could buy the kit and assemble a new harness. I do see locating the board might be a problem but mainly due to wires.

Andrew do you just pass the flipper grounds through the board?

Kenny

trader...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2016, 3:04:39 PM11/14/16
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 1:19:46 PM UTC-5, railbender wrote:

> > Longer answer - on Sys11B games and later this isn't necessary since the special solenoids are not controlled by dedicated playfield switches.
> >

> This is interesting because my System 11b Space Station definitely has special solenoids.

I didn't say it didn't have special solenoids. I said the special solenoids are not controlled by dedicated playfield switches. Now that I think about it Williams didn't institute this until Cyclone. You know this because there is no harness connector on the CPU board at 1J18 on Cyclone. So if your machine does not have a harness connector on 1J18 then you don't have switch controlled special solenoids. While Andrew's board is nice to have (heck Gottlieb fused individual solenoids in Sys3 machines) it isn't protecting you from a shorted special solenoid playfield switch on those machines.

viperrwk

stevenj...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2016, 12:58:33 AM11/15/16
Excellent. I'll be getting some...

Tim Iskander

Nov 15, 2016, 11:31:37 AM11/15/16
I'm too late for the kit form, but still a great idea... guess I'm skipping a trip to stasrbucks lol!
thanks Andrew!

barakandl

Nov 15, 2016, 2:12:17 PM11/15/16
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I did not anticipate the amount of demand for kits. They sold fast and not many people bought the assembled stuff, so i got that wrong. I have ordered parts to make lots of kits. Should come soon.

The flipper ground just passes through.

Andrew

barakandl

Nov 28, 2016, 6:09:09 PM11/28/16