Avatar LE just unpacked

GMM

Dec 9, 2010, 8:38:08 PM12/9/10
I ended up with number 34. There is a plate mounted above display
stating this is 34 out of 250. The differences I noticed right away is
3 figures mounted on left side of playfield. Flying dragon in back of
playfield. Apron has laser cut out triangles with blue translucent
inserts that interact with game play. (not very bright though) The
power ball is white and comes up as navi ball when in shooter lane.
Mine has a problem with sensor it comes up navi ball when normal ball
gets kicked out. I noticed in shooter lane it has metal guides
installed so it dosen't wear shooter lane. I don't no if this is on
regular avatar or not. Amp suit shakes when you hit it and falls down
after so many hits. Navi ball gives double scoring. I have only played
a few games so I don't know if it does anything else. (this would be
very disappointing if that's all it does) Sounds are awesome. Has
complete chrome package except for coin door. Sully's pod is motorized
which opens and closes. Backglass looks awesome. Mine is short plumb
bob. I think I am missing other things to. The book is real thin maybe
a dozen pages. No extra plastics. That's all I got right now.
Message has been deleted

Rare Hero

Dec 9, 2010, 8:46:24 PM12/9/10
Does the powerball just come out randomly...just in the trough w/ the
rest of the balls? The amp suit shakes and falls on the normal
game...what are the new leg coils doing? He's supposed to stomp up and
down in the LE.

Take some pics, brothah!!!!

Greg

MB

Dec 9, 2010, 8:54:55 PM12/9/10

What about the "extra clear" on the pf? Noticeably thicker??

GMM

Dec 9, 2010, 8:59:24 PM12/9/10

Leg coils seem to make it shake when you hit amp suit. Power ball just
comes out of trough. Downloading pics as we speak.

Rare Hero

Dec 9, 2010, 9:05:27 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 5:59 pm, GMM <srx_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Leg coils seem to make it shake when you hit amp suit.

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to just see what it's all about when mine
shows up. The regular version's coil or motor or whatever already
made it shake when you hit it. I'm hoping the new leg coils do
something noticeably different.

Greg

GMM

Dec 9, 2010, 9:09:21 PM12/9/10

Who is signed up with photo bucket. I will send them pics and they can
post.

Woz

Dec 9, 2010, 9:44:50 PM12/9/10

Why don't you cut out the middleman and sign up yourself? :)

vidgameseller

Dec 9, 2010, 9:57:17 PM12/9/10

Tom G

Dec 9, 2010, 10:00:37 PM12/9/10

I thought the apron was suppose to be metal.?!

Lloyd Olson

Dec 9, 2010, 10:01:37 PM12/9/10
Thank you for the pictures.

No flipper button guard rails ? LTG :)

"vidgameseller" <vidgam...@aol.com> wrote in message

GMM

Dec 9, 2010, 10:07:07 PM12/9/10
Clearcoating looks awesome. I have never seen our played a Avatar so I
don't know what amp suit does on standard Avatar.

Taylor-VA

Dec 9, 2010, 10:13:56 PM12/9/10
Are the pics of the LE version? no offense but that little figure in
the coffin looks horrible. So what they stuck on some crappy toys,
chrome and stuck a power ball in it? There is more to it than that,
right?

Tom G

Dec 9, 2010, 10:17:28 PM12/9/10

badbilly27

Dec 9, 2010, 10:17:48 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 9:07 pm, GMM <srx_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Clearcoating looks awesome. I have never seen our played a Avatar so I
> don't know what amp suit does on standard Avatar.

Thanks for posting so quick. Keep playing to let us know if anything
different. But I guess if you never played original hard to tell.

Rare Hero

Dec 9, 2010, 10:20:49 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 7:00 pm, Tom G <tgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the apron was suppose to be metal.?!

It is. You can tell by the shape of the middle...the plastic ones are
flat in the middle, and the metal ones are rounded.

Greg

Rare Hero

Dec 9, 2010, 10:22:56 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 7:13 pm, Taylor-VA <taylorv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are the pics of the LE version? no offense but that little figure in
> the coffin looks horrible.

It's the same toy that's on the regular version. I mean, look...how
exciting can a "Jake Sully" figure laying down be? Heh....the link pod
is begging for some detail mods, though...some squishy greenish
silicone for him to lay in (like the movie) would be a start....and
then maybe some of the little wirey things on his body and head.

Greg

GMM

Dec 9, 2010, 10:24:01 PM12/9/10
Looked on pinball news at standard Avatar. Amp suit definitely looks
more realistic on LE. Shooter ball guard is not on standard either.
Sent pic to Tom he should post shortly.

PinAffliction

Dec 9, 2010, 10:25:29 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 9:01 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the pictures.
>
> No flipper button guard rails ?  LTG :)

I prefer the no loli-pop look of the straight LE side rails, might
want the guard type more on a routed game.
It looks cleaner this way to me, covers less art, fewer fingerprints
on the chrome too.
Can use clear mylar protectors if wear is a concern.

Seems that might be a different AMP suit, maybe a utility version??
Will have to check some other photo's to compare., thanks for sharing
the photo's.

Scott

Tom G

Dec 9, 2010, 10:27:27 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 9:17 pm, Tom G <tgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same pics just on photobucket:
>
> http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab241/pinballwizard2009/Avatar%20L...

Added photo of metal arch protector over shooter lane to photobucket
for GMM.

Taylor-VA

Dec 9, 2010, 10:31:06 PM12/9/10
I am not looking for exciting, it is a Stern, but they could do more
than slap an out of the box action figure in there.
I just thought the LE would have been a couple steps forward of their
regular production model.

Dec 9, 2010, 10:39:44 PM12/9/10
They made another game that uses a powerball?

qbert-wpc

Dec 9, 2010, 10:56:27 PM12/9/10

Your LE also has an extra microswitch at the ramp entrance and ramp
protectors which should have been standard on the Costco edition
Avatar...I mean regular version that feels like a cheap Chinese toy.

Never again will I buy NIB Stern...much less be a pre-order

sinistar

Dec 9, 2010, 11:04:05 PM12/9/10
> Never again will I buy NIB Stern...much less be a pre-order- Hide quoted text -

Horrible game with cheap toys.

Tom G

Dec 9, 2010, 11:47:39 PM12/9/10

Thanks for confirming Greg. I couldn't tell from the pics.

BC_Gambit

Dec 9, 2010, 11:57:03 PM12/9/10

I look forward to being able to play an Avatar, and the sound package
appears superb, but the cheap toys plus powerball scoring wonkiness
kill any additional excitement over the LE version.

I hope those who get them enjoy them; I just do not get a $6000 sense
of excitement by thinking of the additions (or +$2000 over the regular
version, depending on your point of view).

I hope to be proven wrong someday if I get the chance to play both a
regular and a LE one and am blown away!

Mick406

Dec 10, 2010, 12:10:20 AM12/10/10
Oh man! Now I can't make up my mind!!! I have one of the first
Avatar's made (standard edition) and have made a committment to buy
the LE (Stern has yet to ship it to the distributor). I don't want to
bust your bubble GMM, for I know you are excited to own this machine,
but after seeing yours and the very little difference I can discern,
I'm now thinking about cancelling my order. I wasn't so interested in
the toys or cosmetic appearances, as I was in how the game play
differed because of the addition of the white ball. PLEASE give some
more detail after you play it awhile to explain how that ball affects
the game.

I LOVE my Avatar and think it is a GREAT game by Stern. I got SO
excited about the LE with what I thought would be TONS of
modifications and additions. BUT . . . for nearly $1,500 more . . . I
dunno . . . I'm now getting cold feet. I just can't see that much
difference for that kind of money. The more I think about it the more
I don't think I'm going to take the plunge and purchase this.

By the way, you got a pretty good number (34). I BELIEVE that the
first 35 were sort of reserved for 'special dealers' and select
people.

DO post more pictures and explain anything you believe is worthwhile
for the rest of us to know. I would like to see a better view of the
Banshee and how it is mounted. I thought it was going to be huge!

Thanks,
Mike

Dr_Gonzo

Dec 10, 2010, 12:15:56 AM12/10/10

What's with the figure bent over with a rod stuck up his ass?

BC_Gambit

Dec 10, 2010, 12:23:28 AM12/10/10

His tail?

hobs

Dec 10, 2010, 12:35:23 AM12/10/10

Thats one of the custom toys. You are supposed to send a pics of
yourself in when you preorder the LE addition.

Hobbs

qbert-wpc

Dec 10, 2010, 12:46:36 AM12/10/10

Stern is sending those out to all the early buyers as well. :-(

SaBbRa CaDaBra

Dec 10, 2010, 3:42:55 AM12/10/10
On Dec 9, 8:38 pm, GMM <srx_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I ended up with number 34. There is a plate mounted above display
> stating this is 34 out of 250. The differences I noticed right away is
> 3 figures mounted on left side of playfield. Flying dragon in back of
> playfield. Apron has laser cut out triangles with blue translucent
> inserts that interact with game play. (not very bright though) The
> power ball is white and comes up as navi ball when in shooter lane.
> Mine has a problem with sensor it comes up navi ball when normal ball
> gets kicked out. I noticed in shooter lane it has metal guides
> installed so it dosen't wear shooter lane. I don't no if this is on
> regular avatar or not. Amp suit shakes when you hit it and falls down
> after so many hits. Navi ball gives double scoring. I have only played
> a few games so I don't know if it does anything else. (this would be
> very disappointing if that's all it does)  Sounds are awesome. Has
> complete chrome package except for coin door. Sully's pod is motorized
> which opens and closes.  Backglass looks awesome. Mine is short plumb
> bob. I think I am missing other things to. The book is real thin maybe
> a dozen pages. No extra plastics. That's all I got right now.

Is there a 3D hairdick on the bg?

David Pinball Wizz

Dec 10, 2010, 5:20:23 AM12/10/10
What brand of toys are used for the banshee and figures?
What is their height?

And where does the banshee tail go? Through the backpanel? Or has he
been cut ;)?

GMM

Dec 10, 2010, 6:58:16 AM12/10/10
On Dec 9, 8:46 pm, Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does the powerball just come out randomly...just in the trough w/ the
> rest of the balls?  The amp suit shakes and falls on the normal
> game...what are the new leg coils doing? He's supposed to stomp up and
> down in the LE.
>
> Take some pics, brothah!!!!
>
> Greg

Greg amp suit shakes from the feet. I wouldn't call it stomping. It
does interact with the ball very nice. Especially with shaker motor.

Pinsgonewild

Dec 10, 2010, 7:53:24 AM12/10/10
You would think that after 18 years (might be off a year or two) since
the DMD pin was introduced you would see vast improvements in pinball
design and quality. That game looks like it was made by Mattel for
ages 5 to 13. I'll stick with my professional version Bally and
Williams Games.
Don...

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 8:35:11 AM12/10/10

What's the next williams/balky title: left out in the cold.

Seriously, I don't get what people where expecting from the LE
version. People go crazy over Black Spiderman b/c it has a different
backglass. At least they made some an effort with the powerball,
coffin lid and amp suit. I liked the game at expo when I played it.
Was it Stern's best? No. But it's not a terrible game. Hell
all the sudden WPT is the best thing around here since sliced bread
was invented. No offense WPT SUCKS.

I can understand qbert being pisses though. He bought Avatar and then
Stern releases LE a month later. I would be pissed too.

Jason

Dec 10, 2010, 9:04:50 AM12/10/10
One positive thing I can say... It really is a sharp looking game.
Seriously.

Max Badazz

Dec 10, 2010, 10:30:28 AM12/10/10
>>  No offense WPT SUCKS.

I disagree. Just because you are mad that people are dissing Avatar
doesn't give you the right to bash Sterns best game :-)

I will go on record by saying I am 100% glad I did not try to trade in
my regular Avatar for this LE. Although the Amp suit looks cooler
with the added numbers and yellow detail, the coffin still blows
(someone please make a mod to sell)

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

mr tobias

Dec 10, 2010, 10:32:05 AM12/10/10
>No offense WPT SUCKS.

Really? Each to their own I suppose, but I've gotta say that for the
money I'd take a nice condition WPT anyday over a new Avatar, LE or
otherwise.

Max Badazz

Dec 10, 2010, 10:32:29 AM12/10/10
> And where does the banshee tail go?  Through the backpanel?  Or has he
> been cut ;)?

I bought a Banshee for my regular Avatar. They are made by Mattel and
are cheap on Ebay. They come unassembled, so you need to snap on the
tail. Looks like they just left that part off

JimB

Dec 10, 2010, 10:36:38 AM12/10/10

> Horrible game with cheap toys.

Jack has played Avatar LE and he likes it.

EZ E

Dec 10, 2010, 10:48:57 AM12/10/10
Par for the course with Stern! Damn you just flushed $2000+ down the
crapper!!! OUCH! All hype with nothing in the game. The $1000
powerball! Smart Gary! You got the chumps to bite!!! E

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 11:00:40 AM12/10/10

I wouldnt put it quite as harshly but in my opinion you guys got
screwed. Avatar is a turd anyway and you just paid $1000 more for a
turd with a dolly and a powerball. Does it hurt to sit down ?

CEllison

Dec 10, 2010, 11:20:08 AM12/10/10
Diversity is what makes life interesting so I say congrats to all new
Avatar owners. May they live up to your expectations.
I've also played non LE Avatar and I simply can't see how the LE
version will make this machine much better if any especially at $6K.
For $6K quite honestly I'd rather have a pristine A list B/W title.
And no, I'm not a B/W snob. Plenty of stern titles I enjoy as well.
I'll break out my crystal ball and predict this game won't hold it's
value and will join the ranks of the modern day $2500 Stern game
realm.

ldnayman

Dec 10, 2010, 11:20:34 AM12/10/10

Harsh but true.

I find it hard to believe people fork over $4,500 for NIB sterns...I
find it even harder to belive that some are upset they didn't get the
chance to spend $6000 on the LE edition. Hey, it's your money...I make
plenty of purchases that would be mocked around here.

flip...@hotmail.com

Dec 10, 2010, 11:44:33 AM12/10/10

I love all the opinions of folks who haven't seen it or played it.

Kitch

EZ E

Dec 10, 2010, 11:45:06 AM12/10/10
Who cares how you spend your money!! Really the game was hyped! That's
OK. Looks like they delivered on the cheap again. Why buy a game
before you buy it? Not smart with a Stern. You get burned. $$$ E

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 11:49:14 AM12/10/10

Agreed.

EZ E

Dec 10, 2010, 11:50:10 AM12/10/10
Hey kitch, put me down as played regular Aviatar. I want my money
back!! E

Lloyd Olson

Dec 10, 2010, 11:54:43 AM12/10/10
To be fair, not enough are out getting played yet. So we don't know if there
is more programing to make it better.

So far the LE has lived up to chrome rails, shaker motor, real lockdown bar,
playfield support rails, and maybe another thing or two I'm missing.

People that bought tham haven't been let down yet. LTG :)

"brokenvette" <zr1...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 12:00:51 PM12/10/10

All though it would be nice if it holds its value, but it's not why I
bought the game. I like the game. When the LE was announced I
thought it would be better to get than the standard. I agree that
sticking a couple a figures on the game doesn't make it an LE. I have
many B/W games and love them but I also like my Stern games that I
love. I really don't care if it sells for $8 bucks in the future. As
long as I enjoy playing the game that is all that matters to me.

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 12:02:33 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 10:50 am, EZ E <erikhoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey kitch, put me down as played regular Aviatar. I want my money
> back!! E

I have played the regular one and have no desire to play it again LE
or not.

flip...@hotmail.com

Dec 10, 2010, 12:03:05 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 10:54 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> To be fair, not enough are out getting played yet. So we don't know if there
> is more programing to make it better.
>
> So far the LE has lived up to chrome rails, shaker motor, real lockdown bar,
> playfield support rails, and maybe another thing or two I'm missing.
>
> People that bought tham haven't been let down yet. LTG :)
>
> "brokenvette" <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> On Dec 10, 9:48 am, EZ E <erikhoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Par for the course with Stern! Damn you just flushed $2000+ down the
> > crapper!!! OUCH! All hype with nothing in the game. The $1000
> > powerball! Smart Gary! You got the chumps to bite!!! E
>
> I wouldnt put it quite as harshly but in my opinion you guys got
> screwed. Avatar is a turd anyway and you just paid $1000 more for a
> turd with a dolly and a powerball. Does it hurt to sit down ?

Ahh but EZ E you haven't played the LE version yet have you. All I'm
saying is that I think its early to say how good/bad it is until
everyone has had a chance to play it and figure out all the changes to
rules/cosmetics, etc.

Kitch

Kitch

Rare Hero

Dec 10, 2010, 12:09:36 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 8:20 am, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:
> I find it hard to believe people fork over $4,500 for NIB sterns...

Cuz they're the only company making pinball machines, and most of them
are super fun! Sometimes I look at my collection, which is now half
Sterns - and I think "I wonder if I should have more
'classics'" ...but I really REALLY enjoy playing my Stern games and
play them more than my B/Ws. I just shopped out an Elvis and I'm
having a blast with it!

> I find it even harder to belive that some are upset they didn't get the

> chance to spend $6000 on the LE edition. Hey, it's your money...I make
> plenty of purchases that would be mocked around here.

First of all....who's paying $6000? ;) ...so, there's that. ...and I
don't see what everyone's freaking out about - there really aren't
many surprises here. I feel like there's definitely added value from
the "regular" Avatar. Things that WOULD have cost me extra money and
time had I purchased them separately and put on myself: Installed
shaker, chrome legs/rails, metal apron (w/ blue windows), metal
support rails, regular lockdown bar assembly, extra clearcoat ...and
things that are cheap enough, but nice to have anyway - extra Na'vi,
Quarich & Banshee ....and things that I could not have done myself -
closing Link pod lid, extra AMP feet coils, and the
powerball. ...and, who knows if there are other things in the code
that have improved? The only possibly disappointment for me is that
the new AMP feet coils might not really do what I thought they were
going to do....anyway - I'm looking forward to mine! Fun fun fun! :)

Greg

Lloyd Olson

Dec 10, 2010, 12:11:00 PM12/10/10
Jesse pointed out to me the extra clearcoat and motors on link and amp suit.

So far stern has delivered.

I'm sure the people getting the LE version are going to be quite happy with
them. LTG :)

<flip...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

turbo20lbs

Dec 10, 2010, 12:24:15 PM12/10/10
This looks to be Stern's best attempt at making a game a true LE with
all the add ons and extra features. However the game just sucks to
begin with, too bad it isn't LOTR, TSPP, SM, etc.

Rare Hero

Dec 10, 2010, 12:33:29 PM12/10/10

I think the worst thing about Avatar is that it's too similar to Iron
man .....but, I fucking love Iron Man ....so, YAY! :)

Greg

Ron Lyons

Dec 10, 2010, 12:57:50 PM12/10/10
Big Surprise in this thread. RGP is at the same exact time...

- Pissed that Stern made a LE model

- Pissed that the LE model isn't different enough

"BAH HUMBUG" - RGP

PinAffliction

Dec 10, 2010, 1:40:40 PM12/10/10
I find it sad how some people feel the need to bash this game so
viciously, in a similar way to little kids who are mad because someone
else has something they don't, we're gonna see enough of that with the
kids at Christmas! :))
The bashing arguments hold even less weight by jumping on the name
calling band wagon as though it's clever, "Dancing With Smurfs",
"Avatard", "Turd with a dolly and a power ball", and so on.
Seems the goal is to try and hurt the buyers feelings and burst their
new game feel-good bubble, I see it as mean spirited and troll worthy,
diminishing their argument's value in the process.
But people do have the freedom to say what they will, and as such so
shall I.
On a specific point, I do wonder what people thought the power ball
feature would do.
As in TZ the Avatar LE changes scoring rules while the PB is in play,
changes the physical dynamics when PB is in action on the playfield,
negates the effect of the magnet, so your game play strategy will need
to take these effects into account.
So please what else should the PB do?
Kinda repeating what Greg (Rare Hero) said here, but go out and price
a full chrome package, shaker kit, custom metal apron with software
integrated lighting mod, standard lockdown bar and lock mechanism,
playfield supports, and the action figures. Then add the extra
solenoids or motors, and software changes to that price too, oh, and
it is a limited production run too!
Throwing out a $6000 price tag seems inflammatory unless you know
anyone who has payed that, but I can assure you, I and several others
with whom I have talked price did not pay anything close to that
number.
The official Stern press release (email) gave the distributor price at
under $5K, so choose your source wisely. ;)
Perhaps some distributors will be asking $6k+, then again some are
asking similar inflated prices for other LE type games that had far
less value added, great for them if they can get a buyer, but it won't
be me!
Would I like Stern prices to be lower? DUH!
Personally I am amazed Stern has survived perhaps the second worst
economic collapse of all time and is still in business.
I will definitely feel a loss when no more new pinball machines are
being made, then we can all fight over the same old games for the rest
of time, woo-hoo...
So I've added my views to the conversation, to all who have bought the
Avatar LE, I say congratulations.
I am every bit as excited about getting my LE as I was the day I
placed my order.
I hope it provides a Merry Christmas for everyone getting the game,
and I wish happy holidays to everyone else on RGP too!

Scott

monkeybutt

Dec 10, 2010, 1:42:43 PM12/10/10

Agreed. The TECH posts on rgp are great, but other than that, its
mostly just whiny lil bitches armchair quarterbacking. "I don't like
this. That's stupid. You're dumb." Hey guess what? NOBODY CARES WHAT
YOU THINK MALCONTENTS. We all get it. Your life sucks. Go beat your
fat wife and yell at your ugly, mildly retarded kids.

FTRMech

Dec 10, 2010, 1:42:50 PM12/10/10

So....do I buy an Avatar LE? or keep saving for a MM?

VegasAlleycat

Dec 10, 2010, 1:43:06 PM12/10/10

Greg, I couldn't agree more! Everything Stern promised in the LE is
in this machine--I already enjoyed the regular Avatar but that is why
I ordered the LE; I want those extras in my machine and will be happy
to have them! I can't wait for mine to be delivered!

Tom

azpinlawyer

Dec 10, 2010, 1:43:38 PM12/10/10

Well said.

VegasAlleycat

Dec 10, 2010, 1:53:18 PM12/10/10

Your post is spot-on. Merry Christmas to you too Scott...!

Tom

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 2:04:06 PM12/10/10

Not at all. I have played Avatar and I dont like it. I dont like the
art of it and most sterns, I dont like the bare pf or the lack or
creativity of it, I dont like the sparce rules. I would feel ripped
off if I had payed that much for that game and $1000 more for chrome
rails, a powerball, a doll and a few other things. If you guys are
happy with it Im glad for you so maybe I shouldnt piss in your
cheerios by dising the game but I just dont see how it is worth it for
the LE or the regular one.

phishrace

Dec 10, 2010, 2:14:40 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 11:04 am, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Not at all. I have played Avatar and I dont like it. I dont like the
> art of it and most sterns, I dont like the bare pf or the lack or
> creativity of it,  I dont like the sparce rules...

Sparse rules? How so? I find the game to be deeper than both IM and
BBH. If you feel the rules are sparse, is it safe to assume you
reached the wiz mode at least once? Please elaborate.

-phish

honda350r

Dec 10, 2010, 2:49:30 PM12/10/10

LMAO !

stevenp

Dec 10, 2010, 2:49:37 PM12/10/10

phishrace;1580471 Wrote:

> Sparse rules? How so? I find the game to be deeper than both IM and
> BBH.

That is not saying much at all. Set the bar any lower and a gnat can
step over it.

--
stevenp
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Message has been deleted

Rare Hero

Dec 10, 2010, 3:12:52 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 11:04 am, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Not at all. I have played Avatar and I dont like it.

Just admit it...you don't like it cuz James Cameron's a
LIBRUUUUUHL!!!!!!! ;)

Greg

azpinlawyer

Dec 10, 2010, 3:21:23 PM12/10/10

IM's rules are sparse. Avatar's, by comparison, are well-developed.
The similarity to IM is simply that wiz mode achievements don't carry
ball-to-ball (it would be great to have a Taxi-like "carry passengers"
feature!) and that there are character inserts that both flash and
light up, depending on what's achieved. Not really--its playfield is,
though. Other than a lack of drop targets (which I will whine about
forever), Avatar's playfield is well-developed, IMO. IM's is sparse.

azpinlawyer

Dec 10, 2010, 3:25:09 PM12/10/10

Boy that last part made no sense. Delete "not really--its playfield
is, though."

MHS

Dec 10, 2010, 3:28:10 PM12/10/10

The one thing that concerns me most about this game is the powerball.
I still don't fully understand when it is released. If it is cycled
through like a regular ball, I feel like that really inhibits the
fairness of a multiplayer game. Can someone who owns one please
elaborate on this?

--
---

http://tiltwarning.com/blog/
www.papa.org

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 3:30:22 PM12/10/10

You think he is? I never noticed. Maybe thats why I dont like Family
Guy either.

I have to add, even though it kind of ruins the joke, that I am
kidding just like you.

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 3:36:33 PM12/10/10
> http://tiltwarning.com/blog/www.papa.org- Hide quoted text -

TZ doesn't randomize the powerball, why should Avatar LE.

chuck

Dec 10, 2010, 3:41:27 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 1:40 pm, PinAffliction <s.to...@comcast.net> wrote:

I think the main problem is stern is going about this backwards. They
want three lines (collector, arcade, home) and thats fine. With Avatar
they took an arcade (see new lower feature) model and added stuff and
call it the collectors model. Why not do what they did with BDK and
design a collector model keeping in mind things that can be removed or
replaced to make the two lower end models. That way we get our SM and
the cheaper models can go to everyone else. A reduced feature pin with
stuff added isn't a true collectors pin IMO. More importantly I'm not
going to spend the extra money on these type of pins.

phishrace

Dec 10, 2010, 4:03:13 PM12/10/10

Still waiting to hear about the sparse rules. Or were you just kidding
about that too?

If no reply, I'll assume the latter.

-phish

ChrisH

Dec 10, 2010, 4:10:05 PM12/10/10
I have spoken to someone who has played the LE and said the powerball
really adds to the play, especially in multiplayer games. I was
concerned that the powerball would just give someone lucky enough to
get it on their turn an unfair advantage by allowing their score to be
doubled. According to the player(s), the powerball doubles all scores
whenever it is on the playfield. So locking the ball in the link
allows it to stay alive and keep scoring doubled while you continue to
play with a regular ball, hopefully adding multipliers to your shots
for 4x values, jackpots etc.

According to him, there is never a question as to where the powerball
is and when it will appear. So it is important not only to work as a
player to get the powerball into play but also to drain it last in
multiball or do whatever it takes to dump it at the rear of the trough
before your ball is over, essentially making the next player work to
get to it.

He never made it sound like the powerball is a lucky scoring jump or
that it unbalances the scoring. This could be a feature that is
really a love/hate kind of thing and will depend on the players view
of it to determine if it is a good feature or bad. Only playing it
will tell if you as a player like it or not on this one.

Max Badazz

Dec 10, 2010, 4:11:41 PM12/10/10
> Still waiting to hear about the sparse rules. Or were you just kidding
> about that too?

He means there's no video mode :-)

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 4:21:39 PM12/10/10
> -phish- Hide quoted text -

Well ya got me on Avatar as I only played 3-4 games on it the first
time and then again at a later date and I can honestly say I dont like
the game. On IM however I was 1 shot away from the wizard mode without
realizing it having only played the game a few times. Unless the code
has changed the ramps on Im only gives points. As far as AFM and MM, I
own both and their rules are somwhat shallow as well but the games
arent as easy to me as IM and from what I noticed Avatar.

MHS

Dec 10, 2010, 4:23:59 PM12/10/10

Very interesting. Could lead to some real unusual strategy decision
when it comes to cradling / separating cradled balls during
multiball. I'm looking forward to playing this.

raddroxx

Dec 10, 2010, 4:28:13 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 11:02 am, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 10:50 am, EZ E <erikhoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey kitch, put me down as played regular Aviatar. I want my money
> > back!! E
>
> I have played the regular one and have no desire to play it again LE
> or not.

I concur, Avatar blows chunks compared to Iron Man

Ron Lyons

Dec 10, 2010, 4:48:24 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 3:41 pm, chuck <ch...@clhess.com> wrote:
> I think the main problem is stern is going about this backwards. They
> want three lines (collector, arcade, home) and thats fine. With Avatar
> they took an arcade (see new lower feature) model and added stuff and
> call it the collectors model. Why not do what they did with BDK and
> design a collector model keeping in mind things that can be removed or
> replaced to make the two lower end models. That way we get our SM and
> the cheaper models can go to everyone else. A reduced feature pin with
> stuff added isn't a true collectors pin IMO. More importantly I'm not
> going to spend the extra money on these type of pins.- Hide quoted text -

I don't understand what you're saying Chuck. Are you basically saying
that you don't agree with the order that it came out in? What you
described is exactly what Stern did with Avatar.

phishrace

Dec 10, 2010, 4:56:47 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 1:21 pm, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Well ya got me on Avatar as I only played 3-4 games on it the first
> time and then again at a later date...

Yet you had no qualms at all about trashing the game earlier in the
thread. Going so far as to say that people who bought the game should
feel 'ripped off'. After maybe 6 or 8 plays. How is that fair?

You really need to think about your contributions here. I'll leave it
at that.

-phish

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 5:09:10 PM12/10/10

I said I would feel ripped off if I had payed $1000 more for a LE game
with nothing more than chrome armor, a powerball a doll in the chamber
and a metal apron that it should already have. I did correct myself
and say I probably shouldn't piss in other peoples cheerios and dis
the game because others are excited about it. My personal opinion is
that the newer sterns a simplistic and cheap. I don't like them and
there is no way I would pay that price for one. Stern has made quite a
few good games that are worth buying whether I like the way they do
the PFs or not but the last few have made a turn for the worse IMO

chuck

Dec 10, 2010, 5:11:43 PM12/10/10

If you look at BDK as the perfect example. This was a pin designed and
created before the new world order. Today's stern pins are already
cost reduced compared to the previous pins. So what I'm saying is
don't design a cost reduced pin and add stuff to it and call it a
collectors edition. Create a pin similar in scope and features to the
older pins, make it the collector's edition, and then create two cost
reduced versions of it. Is that a better explanation?

c2

Dec 10, 2010, 5:12:06 PM12/10/10

Not speaking for Chuck, but we may be of a similar opinion. I'm only
interested in purchasing full-featured pinball machines like they were
producing with SM. I don't care if they want to call them LEs and
charge more - I'll pay more if the product justifies the expense.

To get there, you could design a full-featured machine out of the gate
with all the bells and whistles, call it an LE model, and sell it for
whatever it takes to turn a profit. Strip it down to the "pro" level
for wider consumption.

Or you could start with a stripped down machine (the current "pro" line)
and make whatever upgrades the original cost-reduced platform allow you
to make. Sell the upgraded Pro as an LE. This is what Stern has done
with Avatar. Was it limited by the already skinny original platform? I
don't know, but there still seems to be much less game there than SM,
LOTR, POTC, TSPP, etc.... And thus I'm uninterested.

To me, it seems you get a better LE product with the first method. Jury
is still out I guess.

-Craig

Rare Hero

Dec 10, 2010, 5:15:03 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 1:21 pm, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Unless the code has changed the ramps on Im only gives points.

BZZZZT...WRONG! IM ramp inserts build up to BOGEY mode...a 30 second
mode where you can get a ton of points from all the loop/ramp shots.
You can double it to 60 seconds if you have a Shield lit at War
Machine. IM may look simple, but there's a great stacking strategy
that makes the game very fun for me.

It's quite a challenge to get a full stack of:

-Bogey
-IM Scoring
-Double them BOTH
-Raise Monger (but don't beat him yet)
-Start War Machine Multiball
-THEN start Monger Multiball
(or instead of Monger, you can start War Machine then Whiplash)

You can't raise Monger once you've started War Machine....you can't
start Whiplash once you've raised Monger...you can't start ANYTHING
once you start Monger Multiball....so, yeah, the simple route is to
just get Monger going right away...but it's so much more satisfying
(and beneficial) to play the stacking game!

Greg

phishrace

Dec 10, 2010, 5:24:55 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 2:09 pm, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> My personal opinion is
> that the newer sterns a simplistic and cheap.

My personal opinion is that you make yourself look like a shallow fool
when you trash any game after 6 or 8 plays. Stern, or otherwise.

Talking shit in someone's NIB thread just makes you look like an ass.
HTH

-phish

EZ E

Dec 10, 2010, 5:27:25 PM12/10/10
Hey Chuck don't talk business or common sense. It dosen't float here
or at Stern HQ!! Stern works off the cash flow model! What do have to
do to get cash NOW! What you're talking about is called a business
plan/model. E

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 5:28:30 PM12/10/10

Whatever, Im not the only one who has said he doesnt like the game. Im
glad you like yours.

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 5:32:30 PM12/10/10

But you know what, Ill agree with you. I should have just not said
anything instead of bursting the guys bubble.

SilverUnicorn

Dec 10, 2010, 5:41:46 PM12/10/10
On Dec 9, 8:38 pm, GMM <srx_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I ended up with number 34. There is a plate mounted above display
> stating this is 34 out of 250. The differences I noticed right away is
> 3 figures mounted on left side of playfield. Flying dragon in back of
> playfield. Apron has laser cut out triangles with blue translucent
> inserts that interact with game play. (not very bright though) The
> power ball is white and comes up as navi ball when in shooter lane.
> Mine has a problem with sensor it comes up navi ball when normal ball
> gets kicked out. I noticed in shooter lane it has metal guides
> installed so it dosen't wear shooter lane. I don't no if this is on
> regular avatar or not. Amp suit shakes when you hit it and falls down
> after so many hits. Navi ball gives double scoring. I have only played
> a few games so I don't know if it does anything else. (this would be
> very disappointing if that's all it does)  Sounds are awesome. Has
> complete chrome package except for coin door. Sully's pod is motorized
> which opens and closes.  Backglass looks awesome. Mine is short plumb
> bob. I think I am missing other things to. The book is real thin maybe
> a dozen pages. No extra plastics. That's all I got right now.

Well, despite what I think of Stern, and what others have said here, I
would like to say the following:

1) Thank you for the photos. I think it looks like a nice machine. I
have not played one, so I can't say if I like it or not.
2) I hope you get much enjoyment from your new game. What's important
is that YOU enjoy it.
3) NO game will please everyone. Looks like you have a nice space
there to enjoy your machines.

Enjoy!
Chris

brokenvette

Dec 10, 2010, 5:48:58 PM12/10/10
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

Yes, what he said. Sorry for my bad manners.

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 6:06:30 PM12/10/10
> -Craig- Hide quoted text -

It makes sense to the buyer Craig but not to a business man. If you
put $5000-5500 LE machine on the market and it flops who's to say a
slimmed down pro or classic version would sell. If they released
Avatar LE and nobody likes it, like 80% of RGP (ok I'm overflatting or
maybe I'm not), why the hell would they try and sell a slim down
version that noby likes and people are going to rip them for because
it is slimmed down. If I was Donald Trump I would have two words for
you: YOUR FIRED!
I agree with you that it is less game than previous titles. However,
I'm assuming there selling less games and probably can't add every
feature into a game they want too. You can blame Stern all day long
but in the end if they can't produce enough product and cash, their
not going to make better games. If me buying an Avatar LE keeps Stern
making games I'm happy to purchase one.

stevenp

Dec 10, 2010, 6:19:37 PM12/10/10

Tom G WI;1580659 Wrote:

> It makes sense to the buyer Craig but not to a business man. If you
> put $5000-5500 LE machine on the market and it flops who's to say a
> slimmed down pro or classic version would sell. If they released
> Avatar LE and nobody likes it, like 80% of RGP (ok I'm overflatting or
> maybe I'm not), why the hell would they try and sell a slim down
> version that noby likes and people are going to rip them for because
> it is slimmed down. If I was Donald Trump I would have two words for
> you: YOUR FIRED!
> I agree with you that it is less game than previous titles. However,
> I'm assuming there selling less games and probably can't add every
> feature into a game they want too. You can blame Stern all day long
> but in the end if they can't produce enough product and cash, their
> not going to make better games. If me buying an Avatar LE keeps Stern
> making games I'm happy to purchase one.

I'm pretty sure the Donald actually says: "YOU'RE FIRED!" And I won't
even guess at what 'overflatting' is supposed to mean!!

--
stevenp
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

c2

Dec 10, 2010, 6:25:02 PM12/10/10

Good point, Tom. WoF Classic probably wouldn't have moved many
units. However, they don't have to build the full featured version,
just have a plan that allows them to get there if demand justifies.
Based on what we've seen so far, the LE model seems limited by the
cost reduced original.

I'm glad you guys got one and hope you love it. I just think they're
leaving some money on the table by not building full throttle
machines. For me, I'm going the Kingpin route with money that in the
past went to Stern. I can't be the only one, although perhaps in the
minority.

-Craig

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 6:28:22 PM12/10/10

Thanks for the correction Steve. Use your imagination on the
overflatting. :)

Tom G

Dec 10, 2010, 6:32:39 PM12/10/10

I also thought about Kingpin. $5500, $7000. There both a lot of
money. The things that worries me about Kingpin are will it be made +
when (it probably will since BBB got done) and I have never played
one. I've played the 'pro' Avatar and liked it. I also just
considered buying a Monster Bash when one came up. I like the NIB
feel. I'm sure Kingpin will be fun.

cody chunn

Dec 10, 2010, 6:35:32 PM12/10/10
No biggie. One facet of this forum is opinions being voiced no matter what
the topic, positive or negative. Carry on.

--\
=cody>
--/

--