IRONMAN a keeper or just another bar pin

vrco...@rochester.rr.com

Apr 15, 2010, 8:11:50 PM4/15/10
For those who have played the New Stern IronMan pin, In your
opion is the game deep enough for home ownership or is it just another
bar pin.???

Please let me know - I was considering it for my next pin -maybe to
pick up at the Allentown show - if one is for sale there

Thanks for everyones input

cody chunn

Apr 15, 2010, 8:14:38 PM4/15/10
It is really too early to make that call. Anyone making a decision is
deciding without all of the info possible. You must wait for the final
release to make an informed decision.

--
-cody
--

<vrco...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

pinhead

Apr 15, 2010, 8:27:04 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 5:14 pm, "cody chunn" <cchu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It is really too early to make that call. Anyone making a decision is
> deciding without all of the info possible. You must wait for the final
> release to make an informed decision.
>
> --
> -cody
> --
> [Note: Following any advice given in this message
>  may result in property damage, minor injury, serious injury or death.
>  Follow advice at your own peril.]
>
> <vrcol...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

> >          For those who have played the New Stern IronMan pin, In your
> > opion is the game deep enough for home ownership or is it just another
> > bar pin.???
>
> > Please let me know  -  I was considering it for my next pin -maybe to
> > pick up at the Allentown show    - if one is for sale there
>
> > Thanks for everyones input

My Iron Man will be here tomorrow, I will play it for a couple days
and let ya know what I think. Its always different playing pins in a
home setting. I will be fair too, if it sucks I won't be scared to
admit it.

shlockdoc

Apr 15, 2010, 8:28:15 PM4/15/10
> admit it.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you - I am really on the fence and would love one but space is
tight and want only keepers. I look forward to your review.

underlord

Apr 15, 2010, 8:36:55 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 8:27 pm, pinhead <donblatt...@msn.com> wrote:
> admit it.- Hide quoted text -

Ok Pinhead, all RGP eyes are now focused on you!! No pressure
though! ;)

--Rick.

Rare Hero

Apr 15, 2010, 8:39:49 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 5:28 pm, shlockdoc <mkl...@nj.rr.com> wrote:
> Thank you - I am really on the fence and would love one but space is
> tight and want only keepers. I look forward to your review.

I wish I was more impulsive ...I'd just buy one.....as much as I'm
disappointed that it's not more creatively designed, it does look fun,
and the music and lights are pretty awesome....it's only money,
right? ;)

Greg

gman

Apr 15, 2010, 8:46:15 PM4/15/10

It's not only the money but it's the room. Has anybody ever taken a
poll to see the average amount of pins that RGP owners have? Lookinf
forward to review.

shlockdoc

Apr 15, 2010, 8:47:39 PM4/15/10

If room was unlimited yes - otherwise I need space for 4 other must
haves

John In WI

Apr 15, 2010, 9:00:37 PM4/15/10
One man's keeper is another's turd....play and decide for yourself.

mnpinball

Apr 15, 2010, 9:05:28 PM4/15/10

It's got the theme, looks, and sounds !
2 bonus modes were implemented this past week. I hear that the code is
being worked on heavy for the next 3 weeks in preperation for the
release parties May 7th. Much more to come. Really can't judge untill
then but it's getting positive reviews from everybody except Korn ;-))
My game is currently a few miles from Bryan Kellys home and being
dispatched tomorrow for delivery.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

flippinpins

Apr 15, 2010, 10:13:51 PM4/15/10

Okay here is my review. Been playing it heavily the past two days. Of
course the game is not finished, It has tons of speed, so much so that
you have to try to control it and do a lot of trapping of the ball
with the flippers.This is not a bad thing. You do have to line your
shots up for each ramp and shoot them straight on. If it is a weak
shot it will go up and then back down. Right ramp does this more and
drains down the middle alot. Terry from Pinball Life is making me a
coil with 10% more juice. He has his LOTR and his Guns n Roses coils
which I feel would be too strong for this game, especially bashing the
monger so going with a 10% increase in the standard coil. Will let
everyone know how they are.

Magnets in front of the Monger and Whiplash make the ball wild which
I like very much. Huge GnR fan and love the magnets under the field.

The 3 Spinners are awesome, and they make the game more exciting.
Spinners help you spell monger but it is a little too easy too get
right now. Spiner sounds is cool

Whiplash multiball is pretty darn cool and so is the scene on the dot
martix. You have to hit the target 5 times to activate the Whiplash
multiball. Again magnets make the ball wild.

Marx I through Mark V are hard to get. You must complete all the
shields on the playfield to advance the Marx. There is suppose to be a
multiball mode called Jericho Missle Mayhem when you get to Marx V but
it is not programed in yet.

There are five Heros or Villians on the Playfield, Iron Man, Whiplash,
Droids, Iron Monger and War Machine. Right now they do night light up.
Instruction cards say once you get all five this is Do or Die Time
Wizard Mode.

"We got a Bogey" mode was not present yet, so it will be exciting to
see that mode.

To get War Machine multiball you first have to shoot the Droid targets
and get them all lit. Love the War Machine because it fires the ball
right back at you and keep you on your toes. You have to have fast
reaction time to save the ball with your flippers .

Pop bumpers, well are Pop bumpers, but the machine gun sound effects
are pretty cool. Super pop, pop bumpers were not active yet. Hopefully
differant sounds will be present when you get Super Pops.

Music is totally cool and has a heavy metal riff to it. The music is
faced paced and there are differant soundtrack again with metal
sprinkled in and through out the music.

The orbits are very fast and you can get the ball to loop two or three
times around the playfield.

Things I would like to see incorporated into the game.

1.) Combo shots, love them and they were awesome on Spidey. Love
getting the Spidey combo award and to see if I could beat my previous
combo.

2.) As for the skill shot I would like to be able to choose on the
DMD, wither I want to go for the skill shot, start a mode or get a
mystery award. The current skill shot needs to be reworked. won't say
much more than that.

3) I think there should be an option to turn off the narration for
home use. It gets repetitive and when I am playing in the home I
really don't want to hear the some call outs.

4.) I hope the ramp points go beyond 800 K, because I hit them
numerous times after 800 K and the game awarded me no points.

5) On Whiplash Multiball, I would like to see the magnet in front of
the monger also activated. to send the ball wild like its getting
whipped. Tow magnets activeate on the field is better than one

I like the game because it is simple straight forward, fast paced,
very wild and hard to keep the ball in play. Very challenging game,
even when the outlane posts are closed all the way. Rigth now I am
having a tough time getting past 29 Million. I have played the deep
rule set games, playing for 30 minutes going through all the modes,
but this games is quick simple, fun fast and easy to understand. Its a
who can get the high score game and then defending your score, as
well as see some cool toys and mechs.

My 11 year old said it is addicting!

I would encourage anyone if you are looking to buy it for your home
find one that you can play with the music volume cranked up.

thanks for reading my review

Mike Nogle
www.greatamericanpinball.com

brokenvette

Apr 15, 2010, 10:33:02 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 8:00 pm, John In WI <jhen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One man's keeper is another's turd....play and decide for yourself.

Ill bet it turns out to be an awesome game... now that I spent my
money on a Scared Stiff.

d rock

Apr 15, 2010, 10:40:00 PM4/15/10
> Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com- Hide quoted text -

Mike,
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it si going to be a very special
game

woodrails

Apr 15, 2010, 11:23:11 PM4/15/10
Vance you do not need another 4 thousand dollar
Dmd pinball you need to get your self a ball bowler
and make your gameroom complete
just my opinion

Mickey

raddroxx

Apr 16, 2010, 4:47:03 AM4/16/10
> Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanx for the detailed review.

vrco...@rochester.rr.com

Apr 16, 2010, 8:15:19 AM4/16/10
> > Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com-Hide quoted text -

> Thanx for the detailed review.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Mike for the review That was just what I was looking for.
Thanks for taking the time answer the post.
from watching the utube video - the machine looked a little simple too
me - if you compare it to Spider man -one of Stren's nicer pin's

flippinpins

Apr 16, 2010, 9:09:43 AM4/16/10
> > > Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com-Hidequoted text -

> > Thanx for the detailed review.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks  Mike for the review    That was just what I was looking for.
> Thanks for taking the time answer the  post.
> from watching the utube video - the machine looked a little simple too
> me - if you compare it to Spider man   -one of Stren's nicer pin'

It does have the Spiderman feel. Spidey has a 3rd flipper on the right
side and when you are playing Iron Man and the ball comes down the
right orbit you have the tendency to try to hit the ball where there
is not a flipper. It is a simpler game, but that is the way Stern
designed it and they are not hiding that fact. They are working hard
on the code and I know they want this to be a success so I have faith
that it will be. Spiderman started out the same way and it is Stern's
best. Sometimes its hard to embrace a simpler concept. We all like
toys and ramps.

On another note, what I would like Stern to do is come out with two
games a year and put quality into the research and design of the game.
Send the ball under the playfield, continue to use magnets and develop
another Gizmo that will wow the customer, not collectors but future
players! Put in a LCD and sell advertisement through the Game. You
could probably get a number of Console Gaming Co's(Ninetendo, Sega,
Electronic Arts to advertise their latest blockbuster hit on Stern's
Game. They also need to work on what the operators needs are,
reinforce that bridge! They are the ones that need to buy from
Stern. I think Stern is doing the right thing by getting different
focus groups together to talk about the future of Pinball. Something
Gary has never done in the past,. To me that is a step in the right
direction. Times are tough and the arcades are suffering, business
models need to change in these times if the arcade is going to
survive!

Old School Al

Apr 16, 2010, 10:55:32 AM4/16/10
Bar pin, fun enough to play on location if I see one but nothing all
that interesting I would get for home use. Keep in mind I am
ambivalent towards this theme so just judging strictly on gameplay. I
suppose if you are really into the theme it may be enough to make it a
home purchase for you. Maybe the second movie will really wow me and
make me a fan of the Iron Man theme, it does look better than the
first from previews.

My main problem with the game thus far is it is not that intuitive.
Starting the various multiballs is obvious enough but what you are
suppsed to do while in them is not.This may simply be due to early
software but I have to judge it as-is. Example: on BBH when you start
Buck MB you figure out fairly quickly that each shell lights a
correspnding major shot for double jackpot and once you get all those
the spinner is lit for Super jackpot. Other MB's in BBH are also easy
to understand. IM it is not clear on what/where the double and super
are or what ever else is going on during MB.

Also, keep in mind the review in this thread is by someone who sells
the game. He has every reason to pump the game up. Nothing wrong with
that, just sayin.

flippinpins

Apr 16, 2010, 11:39:01 AM4/16/10
> > Thanks for everyones input- Hide quoted text -

Yes I sell them, and I have one in my collection now. I would
recommend to anyone to try the game out first and see if you like it.
Please do not buy it because of my review!!!!!!!! If you don't want
to try it and want to purchase one on impulse I would be more than
happy to sell you one! If you are thinking of buying one and you want
to try it, You can go to Gameworks in Schaumburg or swing on by, no
obligation to buy.

Message has been deleted

flippinpins

Apr 16, 2010, 11:47:26 AM4/16/10
On Apr 16, 10:39 am, Steven <steven.vander.sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike: Thanks for the review! Sounds like a good game to me. Good
> sounds, well themed (?) and easy to understand rules combined with low
> ball-times... makes me think of BSD, but with modes as an 'extra'!
> > Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com-Hide quoted text -

Yes its like BSD. That game kinda is similar.

tktlwyr

Apr 16, 2010, 12:28:06 PM4/16/10
> > > Mike Noglewww.greatamericanpinball.com-Hidequoted text -

> Yes its like BSD. That game kinda is similar.

So wait a few years and you can pick it up for $1,200! Sorry, I
couldn't resist.

Rare Hero

Apr 16, 2010, 3:25:15 PM4/16/10
On Apr 15, 7:13 pm, flippinpins <msno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Terry from Pinball Life is making me a
> coil with 10% more juice.  He has his LOTR and his Guns n Roses coils
> which I feel would be too strong for this game, especially bashing the
> monger so going with a 10% increase in the standard coil.  Will let
> everyone know how they are.

Hey Mike, did you try setting Coil Pulse to HARD in the settings? I
found Spidey's flips to be a bit weak until I did this ...once set to
Coil Pulse HARD, the flips are super strong and snappy. Maybe same
deal on Iron Man?

Greg

flippinpins

Apr 16, 2010, 9:12:31 PM4/16/10

Took Greg's Advise and porgrammed the coils to hard,Pulse, it does
seem to make a little differance, Also there is a setting for music,
turned the bacground music up and it defintely made a differance in
the sound.

Slosed the outlanes to its maxim hole. .

Just waiting on the code.