Armageddon DikuMUD.... Play or die.

Santiago Zorzopulos

Apr 3, 1992, 12:23:17 AM4/3/92

A new MUD will be going up soon, with lots of new modifications
I've been working on for quite a while. This is the same code that
ArcticMUD is using, and I'm still doing lotsa new shit... Here's a
list of some of the things I've done/am working on:

(1) Room creation:
I'm about done with some code for online room editing, which
includes creating rooms from in the game (most online diku editors
don't have that). You can basically do anything: extra descs, doors
locked and unlocked, direction descs, etc.

(2) Object creation:
I'm not quite done with this, but I will be soon. Everything
works fine, but if you work at it diligently you can usually find
SOME way to crash it. You can edit and create objects of any kind,
even set affects, types, and flags by referring to the name, like this:
"otype sword weapon", "owflags hat head", "oaffect1 ring mana 10"

(3) New areas:
Hell, we're even doing new KINDS of areas... The MUD has an
apocalyptic setting, much like Dark Sun. We aren't imitating the
areas on Athas, but we're making areas with similar themes. So far
we have over 3000 rooms in creation, but I imagine only 2000 or so
will be open when the MUD is public.

(4) Roleplaying:
Yes, we're actually encouraging players to role-play (perish the
thought!) So therefore player killing laws are identical to those
governing NPC killing, and you will receive a criminal flag for doing
any malicious deed to anyone in the city if you are caught. This is
not a 'flag' system, it's merely a realistic roleplaying system. NPCs
can also get criminal flags, ya know. ;-)

(5) New guilds:
We have 12 guild planned, and almost all of them are completed,
titles and all. They are mostly combinations of existing guilds, but
all of them have at least one or two unique talents. There are also
a few special guilds that offer completely original skills and spells
to the players. Heres a summary of what we have done so far:

Warrior: Kick, Bash, Rescue, Dodge, Disarm, Parry, Dual Wield.
Mage: All the old Mage spells, including over 20 new ones.
Priest: All the old Cleric spells, including over 30 new ones.
Thief: Backstab, Sneak, Hide, Steal, Pick, Climb, Listen, Trap.
Ranger: Kick, Disarm, Dual Wield, Lower level Priest spells, Hunt, Listen.
Assassin: Disarm, Dodge, Backstab, Sneak, Dual Wield, Listen, Trap, Throw.
Dawnmagus: Passive, lower level Priest and Mage spells.
Shadowmage: Backstab, Sneak, Hide, Mostly Offensive Mage spells.
Druid: Many nature-oriented Priest spells at low levels, Listen, Hunt
Warlock: Dodge, Disarm, Parry, Dual Wield, Offensive Mage spells.
Shadowdancer: Sneak, Hide, Pick, Mostly Priest spells, and many new ones.

We're still trying to decide on the last one... I'm kinda stuck betweem
Illusionist, Alchemist, and Templar. ;-)

(6) New spells/skills:
We're up to 91 (original code has 53) so far... We hope to add lots
of variety to this MUD, and make it one of the best around.

(7) Special procedures:
We're getting a shitload of these done... I just finished an elite guard
that hunts down criminals, charms them, blinds them, strips their equipment,
leads them out into the desert and sells them to a wandering slave trader.
I've also added a magical sword that can be enchanted by putting a special
gem inside it, and another sword that energy drains with a command word.
As you can see, I want to make more adventures and quests to the game.
I will also allow things like immortals switching to NPCs, provided they
correctly role-play and not use their immortal at all to interfere. (Role-
playing cityugards with strange brain diseases would be out of the
question).

(8) New room flags:
We've added "fall" rooms, where all players and objects fall down to
the room below. Also things like sandstorms will add flavor to the MUD.

We hope to see you all there as soon as we open! See ya!

-------------------------------------- Acidion -> brum...@iboga.stat.uiuc.edu
A M G D O Achilles -> sa...@phylo.life.uiuc.edu
R A E D N Yxya -> free...@vmdfs.cso.uiuc.edu