Tektronix

Dan Brumleve

Oct 15, 1992, 4:52:16 PM10/15/92

I heard about a way to do actual graphics in the form of control codes
known as Tektronix, and I noticed that the terminal program I use supports
it (it occaisionally lapses into printing lines all over the screen when
the phone is picked up or when there's lots of line noise). I have since
obtained a manual on it, but I can't seem to get it to work... I thought it
would be interesting to incorporate it into a mud, perhaps allowing
players to make graphical descriptions of themselves. If anyone has
any information on how I can get it to work (or just has some comments
about using it in MUDs), please respond.

Thanks.

-Jhalavar-

Joi L. Ellis

Oct 16, 1992, 9:30:10 AM10/16/92
brumleve@gauss (Dan Brumleve) writes:

> I heard about a way to do actual graphics in the form of control codes
>known as Tektronix, and I noticed that the terminal program I use supports
>it (it occaisionally lapses into printing lines all over the screen when

I used to program fortran output to Tek graphics tubes. It's not that
difficult but you do have to have it exactly right. It's also been
about 6 years since I worked that job.

Tektronics code is 8-bit binary. You might also consider looking at
VT200-compatible graphics, that's mostly plain ascii prefexed with an
escape character. It's not at fast at Tek code but it'd be a lot more
robust over telnet/whatever if you're not sure of a true 8-bit path
between your host and your client.

--
Joi Ellis ms...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
Student Residential Programs Western Illinois University

Alan Krantz

Oct 16, 1992, 5:21:17 PM10/16/92
I have some old code sitting around that shows you the esc sequence
for a textornic. If you really want it let me knwo and i'll try to
dig it out. The code is for an 4010 which only supports vecotr graphics
- I'm not sure what the newer tektronics support. Basically what you can
do in the 4010 is say goto position x,y draw a vector to nx,ny and so
on...