Missle Weapons

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 5, 1994, 1:06:24 PM9/5/94
Asside from all the flame, I would like some input on a dilema I have
concerning missile weapons in Diku Muds.

I have been coding range weapons for Sojourn for a month or so now, and
have run into many interesting problems with the concept that must be
overcome. One is the fact that our range code will have an unlimited range
theoretically. Granted that long bows will be able to fire up to 3 rooms
away at best(4 inside a city), you run into the vision problem. I have yet
to see a mud where you can look 4 rooms away and see what is in the room
with enough clarity to fire a range weapon that way. Normally in real life,
you can indeed see a long distances barring obstacles, to make your shot.
In DikuMuds however, range has been classically limited to one, or perhaps
two, rooms away. I have several methods concokted that will avert this
problem, but would like intelligent opinions as to yours.

The second problem is mob intelligence. Normally, when you fire a ranged
weapon at someone, they run for cover, charge, or retaliate in some manner.
Because rooms do not have all the realism of a real world, gaining cover can
be difficult. Plus, many mobiles stand in a certain room to guard something
like a guild entreance or kings chambers. It would not do good to have this
mobile charge to meet the attack because that means the other 10 people in
the party slip through without ever having to really confront the mobile.
(In some cases this would actually be cool strategy, but we need another
alternative in cases where we dont want this to occur). For wandering mobs
its simple, we just track the mofo all the way. For sentinels though, the
matter is a bit more complex. There are of course ways to bypass it, with
like a new mobile flag that prevents charging at an enemy archer. But then
does the mobile just stand there and get pelted with 100,000 arrows? *flee*
I have my own ideas, but lets hear yours first.

Kris

Kristopher Scott Kortright * Sojourn Systems Administrator
Co-Owner of Sojourn DikuMud as Lloth (Forger) - sojourn.cem.msu.edu 9999
Email Address: mi...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu, ro...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."

Friedrich Nietzsche

R. Huber

Sep 5, 1994, 2:08:03 PM9/5/94
Kristopher Kortright (mi...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu) wrote:

[...]

I think you had it there with the 'gaining cover'. You can't REALLY
hide behind something, but you can _Hide_. If a sentinal gets nailed by an
arrow, have him hide. There is no way for a person 3-4 rooms away to see a
hidden mob, and all the rest of their arrows will miss. Also, if they walk
into the room to see what the hell happened to mob, BOOM, they get attacked!
Just a thought :P
R.H.

-sigh- One of these days I will have to make a sig :P

Mathue Moyer

Sep 5, 1994, 4:01:09 PM9/5/94
In article <34fmq3$e...@gondor.sdsu.edu> hu...@ucssun1.sdsu.edu (R. Huber) writes:
> I think you had it there with the 'gaining cover'. You can't REALLY
>hide behind something, but you can _Hide_. If a sentinal gets nailed by an

Hmm... using normal 'hiding' seems a bit too limited. Why not create a new
flag, FAR_HIDE, that specifies that the mob cannot be seen from a distance?
This flag could be set on mobs when created for certain cases, or added to
victims of missile weapons (along with a hatred of the attacker, perhaps).
--
-Mathue Moyer
-mat...@ucsd.edu

Mark Thomas Kundinger

Sep 5, 1994, 9:38:26 PM9/5/94
In article <72...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>,

Naw, I don't see why a mob really has to hide, how bout just after
a few volleys, the mob gets a lot harder to hit with projectiles?

But as for really evening out the situation, how about the mob just
whips out his own long bow and puts the archer in the role of
javelin-catcher?

(G)
Mark

The guy with the biggest stomach will be the first to take off his
shirt at a baseball game.
-Glenn Dickey

JayBird

Try Armageddon at thrash.isca.uiowa.edu
>l north
[Very Far]
A hairless human raider crouches here.
[Far]
nothing
[Near]
A grey kank is here, resting comfortably.

Just a rough example of 3 rooms, 4 shouldnt be much harder.

[...]

Ok... Well, if it's logical, have the sentinel call out a bunch of his
buddies to attack the missile users while he maintains his post (albeit a
little more aware and stealthful than before). This sounds good for stuff
like castle entrances or forts, but you may not want to do this if its
one guy standing outside his mud hut. You might have them enter a building
(if they are guarding one) and have them lock the door and hide. This would
make it a little counter-productive to use missiles against sentinels.

:> Kris

J. Pierce
jpi...@tamu.edu

charcoal grey

Sep 6, 1994, 10:50:19 AM9/6/94
In article <34gh6j$q...@larry.rice.edu>,

Mark Thomas Kundinger <m...@owlnet.rice.edu> wrote:
>In article <72...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>,
>Mathue Moyer <mmo...@sdcc10.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>In article <34fmq3$e...@gondor.sdsu.edu> hu...@ucssun1.sdsu.edu (R. Huber) writes:
>

>>Hmm... using normal 'hiding' seems a bit too limited. Why not create a new
>>flag, FAR_HIDE, that specifies that the mob cannot be seen from a distance?
>>This flag could be set on mobs when created for certain cases, or added to
>>victims of missile weapons (along with a hatred of the attacker, perhaps).
>>--
>
> Naw, I don't see why a mob really has to hide, how bout just after
>a few volleys, the mob gets a lot harder to hit with projectiles?

If your first arrow fired at a mob from a few rooms away has, say, a 40%
shot at hitting the mob, drop the chance of your second arrow to 20%, and
just keep halving it. After a set maximum, three arrows or so, the target
is set to unhittable.

If a skill is useless, it's never going to see any use. To make players
actually want to use range weapons, give the arrow a small chance to inflict
damage with a high multiplier (Why charge in on that dragon when we could hurt
it kinda badly from here?).

To counter this, and keep it from being abused, let the percentage drop from
arrows fired carry over to the first round or two of combat with the mob,
with the idea that it's alert, and prepared to defend itself, whether the
arrows actually hit it or not. That, and make arrows tough to come by, and
in limited supply, so that players will have to use judgement as to when they
use a missile attack. (That sort of implies that an arrow is lost when you
fire it as well, which would stop a player from using one arrow to kill
seven thousand different things, or you could just give the arrow a percentage
chance to snap when it flies past its target and strikes a stone wall as full
speed, or whatever.)

ben.
cc@hw

F. Sullivan Segal

Sep 6, 1994, 11:39:09 AM9/6/94
In article <34fj6g$l...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,

Kristopher Kortright <mi...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu> wrote:
> Asside from all the flame, I would like some input on a dilema I have
>concerning missile weapons in Diku Muds.
>
> I have been coding range weapons for Sojourn for a month or so now, and
>have run into many interesting problems with the concept that must be
>overcome. One is the fact that our range code will have an unlimited range
>theoretically. Granted that long bows will be able to fire up to 3 rooms
>away at best(4 inside a city), you run into the vision problem. I have yet
>to see a mud where you can look 4 rooms away and see what is in the room
>with enough clarity to fire a range weapon that way. Normally in real life,
>you can indeed see a long distances barring obstacles, to make your shot.
>In DikuMuds however, range has been classically limited to one, or perhaps
>two, rooms away. I have several methods concokted that will avert this
>problem, but would like intelligent opinions as to yours.

Development of any kind is driven by opposing forces of the inspired
elegance of a system when seen as a whole, and the request for specific
features from clients who carry weight. Whenever possible it is always
best to let the feature requests flow into your elegant design, but that
isn't always possible.

Clearly the creators of Diku didn't intend to offer ranged combat between
rooms, and such combat raises serious problems with the system they have
defined for creating pseudo-realities. So I basically see three alternatives.

First of all, you could kludge in ranged weapons, multiple rooms, etc,
on top of the existing architecture. You all ready seem to have this
idea in hand, so I won't go into the mechanics. Besides I really hate
this kind of development. (One possible point in this is that you don't
have to develop an entirely automatic ranged attack system; you could
require the room designer to indicate specifically that one room can
attack into another (option flags on the exit?) )

Second, you could rebuild the architecture around ranged weapons, possibly
keeping the current architecture as a subset of the new architecture. For
instance, you might give the world an underlying grid system of cartesian
coordinates (in three space?), and locate each of the actual room
descriptions at a location in real world space, and bounded by the room
size. Then to determine visibility of a mob, you would crawl across
world space toward the mob, until either you get to the mob, or hit
some other object that is in the way, like a wall, or another mob.

Third, you could keep the existing architecture and work within it.
Presumably this would be done by restricting ranged weapons to a
single room. (No shooting out of windows into crowded market squares.)
The question then is if you could make the ranged weapons satisfy the
requirements of your users. One way might be to assume that for normal
weapons, you are always standing next to your opponent (while not
entirely reasonable, this is a simplification that reduces the tedium
of waiting for mobs to close before fighting), and that ranged weapons
always start with mobs on opposite corners of the room, requiring
fighters to close before they can attack, and requiring that fighters
engage other fighters grouped with the mob before engaging the mob
itself.

Lastly, no matter which path you choose such combat would obviously
unbalance any system all ready in place, so you would probably have to
play test, and reduce the strength of all classes who were given the
new ability.

--
-F. Sullivan Segal
_

Mail to: flet...@netcom.com

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 6, 1994, 6:24:57 PM9/6/94
Mark Thomas Kundinger (m...@owlnet.rice.edu) wrote:
: In article <72...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>,

: Mathue Moyer <mmo...@sdcc10.ucsd.edu> wrote:
: >In article <34fmq3$e...@gondor.sdsu.edu> hu...@ucssun1.sdsu.edu (R. Huber) writes:

: >
: >Hmm... using normal 'hiding' seems a bit too limited. Why not create a new
: >flag, FAR_HIDE, that specifies that the mob cannot be seen from a distance?
: >This flag could be set on mobs when created for certain cases, or added to
: >victims of missile weapons (along with a hatred of the attacker, perhaps).
: >--

: Naw, I don't see why a mob really has to hide, how bout just after
: a few volleys, the mob gets a lot harder to hit with projectiles?

I have added MISSILE_AWARE which reduces the chance of another shot by
30%, as if you have been hit once, you will be trying to activley avoid
other such missiles.

: But as for really evening out the situation, how about the mob just

: whips out his own long bow and puts the archer in the role of
: javelin-catcher?

I does not make sence for every mob to have a long bow, but in some
cases this will indeed work.

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 6, 1994, 6:29:42 PM9/6/94
charcoal grey (lev...@magritte.its.rpi.edu) wrote:

: If your first arrow fired at a mob from a few rooms away has, say, a 40%

: shot at hitting the mob, drop the chance of your second arrow to 20%, and
: just keep halving it. After a set maximum, three arrows or so, the target
: is set to unhittable.

See earlier post on MISSILE_AWARE. I dont think dropping the chance to
0 is realistic enough, but if the chance is slim and arrows break easily
when hitting a wall (Which is what happens with a miss), then this will
probably be ok. Not sure tho =)

: To counter this, and keep it from being abused, let the percentage drop from

: arrows fired carry over to the first round or two of combat with the mob,
: with the idea that it's alert, and prepared to defend itself, whether the
: arrows actually hit it or not. That, and make arrows tough to come by, and
: in limited supply, so that players will have to use judgement as to when they
: use a missile attack. (That sort of implies that an arrow is lost when you
: fire it as well, which would stop a player from using one arrow to kill
: seven thousand different things, or you could just give the arrow a percentage
: chance to snap when it flies past its target and strikes a stone wall as full
: speed, or whatever.)

I like this idea. =) We can make common arrows easy to find, but at 1d6,
they arent going to be that useful. Magical arrows that can do real damage
will be rare.

: ben.
: cc@hw

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 6, 1994, 6:41:15 PM9/6/94
F. Sullivan Segal (flet...@netcom.com) wrote:

: First of all, you could kludge in ranged weapons, multiple rooms, etc,

: on top of the existing architecture. You all ready seem to have this
: idea in hand, so I won't go into the mechanics. Besides I really hate
: this kind of development. (One possible point in this is that you don't
: have to develop an entirely automatic ranged attack system; you could
: require the room designer to indicate specifically that one room can
: attack into another (option flags on the exit?) )

You are correct in that we are building with the current architecture,
but it isn't as bad as some think. With a single loop, you can track across
the rooms in a direction which to archer fires, moving from room to room,
to see if the victim is there. Then, after calculating the hit/miss, you
drop the missile into the room (obj_to_room), and track it along the path.
In this method, you can hit random target that might happen to be in the
way, allow for monks with missile snaring skills to grab it, and anything
else tasty along its flight path. Once it reaches the traget, it hits, and
goes into the victims inventory.

: Second, you could rebuild the architecture around ranged weapons, possibly

: keeping the current architecture as a subset of the new architecture. For
: instance, you might give the world an underlying grid system of cartesian
: coordinates (in three space?), and locate each of the actual room
: descriptions at a location in real world space, and bounded by the room
: size. Then to determine visibility of a mob, you would crawl across
: world space toward the mob, until either you get to the mob, or hit
: some other object that is in the way, like a wall, or another mob.

I love it. Perhaps when we code Sojourn ][ we will use this method.

: Third, you could keep the existing architecture and work within it.

Too restricting. People will laugh at us if we implement range weapons
that cannot leave the room. You loose to much of the feel, and could simply
implement range code with a slight mod of the exsisting combat system.

Its not the implementation I worry about as most of that is done. Its the
extras and details/balancing that requires most of the tweaking, and is the
fuel for most debates on what is good/bad about a particular range weapon
system.

Kenneth R Whittaker

Sep 7, 1994, 1:01:05 AM9/7/94
Kristopher Kortright (mi...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu) wrote:
: Asside from all the flame, I would like some input on a dilema I have

: Kris

Okay, I have been pondering this problem, but haven't been brave enough to
tackle it just yet. The way I see it, the big facter is that things would
have to be added to the obj files. Mainly, the range of the weapon. No matter
where you are, the weapon has a certain range. Even in a forest, if you aim
a long bow at 45 degrees and fire, and the arrow is lucky enough not to hit
a tree, it will go it's maximum range (theoretically). Second, use a FOR loop
to make the arrow "travel" in the proper direction "range" number of times.

Problems: Does the arrow hit something?
Can the attacker see what he/she is shooting at?

Answer: (best I can do anyway) Look at the sector_type of the rooms as the
arrow passes through (or as the attacker looks through). The
sector_type could be forest, for example. Then give the player a
modified chance to hit. Chance is modified by sheer distance,
visibility via sector_types of imposing rooms, and population of
the target room (if there are 10 mobs standing there, what is the
likelyhood that someone else gets hit? Or no-one?).

Taking cover: Chances are that in any "room" there is something useful for
taking cover. A wall, a trashcan, the ground. Add a skill
COVER that people and mobs use when someone is firing at them
from a distance. Or heck, not a skill, a simple command.
Anybody can successfully hide behind a tree in a forest.
COVER will greatly decrease the attackers chance to hit.

Looks like a nasty problem. I have been too busy with boats, carriages, and
coffins (player containers) myself. Hope this inspires a tiny bit anyway.

L8ers!
* Kenneth R. Whittaker INTERNET: k...@sprint.uccs.edu *

FORD PREFECT

Sep 7, 1994, 1:04:59 PM9/7/94

I like the idea of FAR_HIDE for guardian mobs. Another possibility is a
protection from normal missles type spell. A couple of questions about ranged
combat on Soujourn: Is there going to be an archer-type class with
far-look/scan? Or are missle weapons only for clerics? I'd definitely like to
see mobs with missle weapons. I can't remember off-hand which mud it was, but
I had logged on with a newbie, blundered up to the dwarven area to check eq,
got about 3-4 spaces from the guards outside the queen's castle, and started to
get shelled by a dwarven guard with a bow. After the initial suprise (wtf!)
wore off, I thought this was kinda nifty, and would like to see it on more
muds. After all, if pcs can use missle weapons, why not mobs?

---
Starwind K'treva, Healer-Adept

Andrew Smith

Sep 8, 1994, 2:39:59 PM9/8/94

About this ranged combat stuff...

um.
first off I think a worm should go through the areas and set
all the rooms to have Cartesian coordinates.
Using the flags to set the majorityof them to defaults
say 12x12x12 for indoors and 50x50x50 for outdoors etc.
and them characters and mobs also would have a 3D volume sizes
thus limiting rooms for ceratain races and having limits for how
many can fit in a room. fine.

For weapons then a calcualation of distances can at least be approximated.

Then for a room itself it could be subdivied into 9 or 16
I prefere 9. thus one square in the center is the "center"
you could assume that all who enter the room end up in the
center... but you could then have an added movement
<1hp 3000m 50k mv>
> approach east
You approach the eastern part of the room.
>approach north
You approach the north-east of the room.

Now with this idea.. people (magic users could) disengage and retreat
to a wall and cast spells while fighter could keep mobs from
breaking through and attacking the magic users.
If the group had to protet someone.. they could remain
inthe center square/grid and the others could surround in a
protective formation.
Perhaps group formations could be implemented (Med**via) *giggle*

Perhaps the grid is too small now that I think of it..
also it need to include vertical dimensions.
also what if the room simple is too small to be subdivided like that...
well then.. the system reverts to the orginal form.
*think* *ponder*
Well.. then when you come in a room.

Temple of Doom.
A blackened temple tears out of the scarred earth into the sky.
A cloud of soot and sulfur surrounds it obscuring the view of
its pinnacle.

Lloth is here on her kank in the north east corner of the room.
Boggmeister is standing here drooling over Sojourn's ranged weapon system.
A Templar from Armageddon smirks knowing they hve a good system already.
Alander sits here listening to "Satisfaction" dreaming of ROM 3 towards
the south.

Something like that...

BYE!
Just an idea...
--
|Andrew R. D. Smith - Carleton University Computer Science
|am...@freenet.carleton.ca + Psychology

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 8, 1994, 3:39:59 PM9/8/94
FORD PREFECT (af...@orion.alaska.edu) wrote:

: I like the idea of FAR_HIDE for guardian mobs. Another possibility is a

There will be no specific archer class on Sojourn, but Rangers, Warriors,
and Mercenaries will recieve the Archery skill, and Thieves, Assassins, and
a few others (yet undecided who) will recieve the Throwing Weapon skill for
dagger, axes, and such. There will also be a new mob flag, AFF_HUNTER, which
will have the mob firing arrows or daggers at people if they are in other
rooms and such. (this assuming they have a bow and can see the player). When
missile code goes in, scan goes in with it. Player will be able to see mobs
up to 3 rooms away in at least some detail (as suggested earlier in this
thread). CAnt really have range code without scan code! =) If a mob is showered
with arrows and is not sentinel, it will charge and beat your ass.

: ---
: Starwind K'treva, Healer-Adept

Kris

Kristopher Scott Kortright * Sojourn Systems Administrator
Co-Owner of Sojourn DikuMud as Lloth (Forger) - sojourn.cem.msu.edu 9999
Email Address: mi...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu, ro...@sojourn.cem.msu.edu.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."

Friedrich Nietzsche
:

Bill Brown

Sep 9, 1994, 8:09:26 PM9/9/94
Also, agressive mobs should be able to charge at you from 3 spaces
away... they should see you too right?

You notice something heading this way from the east.
A large orc arrives.
A large orc massacres you to tiny bits with his slash!
You are dead. R.I.P.!

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: kif...@elwha.evergreen.edu :: Josh Kifer :: The Evergreen State College ::

Philip Priston

Sep 13, 1994, 5:20:07 AM9/13/94
In article: <34qtfm$u...@rs6a.wln.com> kif...@elwha.evergreen.edu (Bill Brown) writes:
:
: Also, agressive mobs should be able to charge at you from 3 spaces
: away... they should see you too right?
:
: You notice something heading this way from the east.
: A large orc arrives.
: A large orc massacres you to tiny bits with his slash!
: You are dead. R.I.P.!

*GRIN* nice Idea... might be worth doing just to see the look on those
mortal faces! *GRIN*
I can hardly wait!!!!
Fenris...

__________________________________________-------------------------_____
_______--------- __-- _______-- ___-- ____ Marley Extrusions Ltd. _____
______--_____-- __-- _____________-- _____ _____
_____--------- __-- _____________-- ______ Phil Priston. _____
____-- _________-------- __-- __-- _____...@marleyex.demon.co.uk_____
___-- _________-- ___-- __-- __-- ________ _____
__-- _________-- ___-- __-- __----------__ Fenris _____
__________________________________________-------------------------_____

Edward Aart Korthof

Sep 13, 1994, 4:19:25 PM9/13/94

>Also, agressive mobs should be able to charge at you from 3 spaces
>away... they should see you too right?

This would be cool (and at least one god indicated that it would happen,
so I think it's in the works), but...

>You notice something heading this way from the east.
>A large orc arrives.

Fear the spam this would create in cities. :) It'd be cool if you could do
it outside of cities, and turn it off inside cities, though. -- here, I'm
thinking of if you recieved messages when something moves into a room
adjoining yours (did you mean that? right now, we'd get the message "A
large orc has arrived from the east," or something similar--one line, not
two). Which is logical--and it'd be neat if, with a toggle set, you would
notice movement toward you (I've seen scan on Armageddon, and it's good,
but it's a pain if aggro mobs are going to charge you--esp. considering
the fact that mobs tend to act faster than players).

Damn. Does this mean mobs like Imix will charge you?
<shiver in fear>
<chuckle>

But it will be good to see mobs become more inteligent... so long as
their stats are adjusted accordingly (I know, I know, it's in progress and a
hell of a large task).

Athairne
--
-Ed Korthof ku...@uclink.berkeley.edu CAA Memberships Chair

Shawn L. Baird

Sep 14, 1994, 2:03:38 PM9/14/94
ku...@uclink.berkeley.edu (Edward Aart Korthof) writes:
>two). Which is logical--and it'd be neat if, with a toggle set, you would
>notice movement toward you (I've seen scan on Armageddon, and it's good,
>but it's a pain if aggro mobs are going to charge you--esp. considering
>the fact that mobs tend to act faster than players).

Hmmm, now there's an idea. Send messages based upon actions which are
likely to be of interest to the player, and ignore some others. For
example, suppose you are in a crowded city. You might normally see
something like:

The dark clothed man wounds you deeply with his thrust.
% flee
You panic and run ...
The Bazaar
The crowds milling around you seem to press back and forth,
and you spend a lot of wasted time just negotiating passage.
Various stalls and street vendors litter the area, packed with
buyers and sellers all trying to make a deal. Street urchins
sneak between the stalls, pilfering goods from unwary merchants.
A gate in the city wall leads to the south, and the market
extends to the east and west.
Lazarus is standing here.
Ponder is standing here.
Kalliste is standing here.
A cityguard is standing here.
A merchant is standing here displaying a fine collection of knives.
A vendor stands nearby with his cart, selling apples and grapes.
A street merchant sits nearby, displaying his jewelry on a worn rug.
%
A man clothed entirely in black has arrived from the north.
---
Perhaps instead you could reorganize things somewhat (you'd need to know
a lot about the intentions of mobiles and what the player seems to be
doing) to look like:

The dark clothed man wounds you deeply with his thrust.
% flee
You panic and run ...
The Bazaar
The crowds milling around you seem to press back and forth,
and you spend a lot of wasted time just negotiating passage. A
city gate stands to the south and the market extends east and
west.
The dark clothed man spots you in your flight and begins heading
your way.
%
---
This presupposes we've added a few things like brief descriptions for
rooms which still give needed information, but aren't quite as lengthy.
Note also that the same people are standing in the room, the game just
didn't bother to display them. I'm not sure whether that's a very good
supposition or not. It might be enough to just display a shorter
description and indicate what your pursuer is doing (of course I'm not
talking about pursuing fleeing people alone, this is just a particular
example), while going ahead and listing all the mobiles in the room.
The poster's point is valid that I wouldn't want to see things like:

To the east, Bob goes to the north.
To the west, Shayna goes to the south.
Jill walks in from the south.
To the east, Agmar attacks the small puppy.

You could also do some awareness based checking. I.e., does the player
see the small magician standing two rooms to the east who is pointing his
wand at the player?

Kristopher Kortright

Sep 15, 1994, 1:30:13 PM9/15/94
Andrew Smith (am...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:

: In a previous article, sca...@netcom.com (Shawn L. Baird) says:

: >ku...@uclink.berkeley.edu (Edward Aart Korthof) writes:
: >>two). Which is logical--and it'd be neat if, with a toggle set, you would

: >>notice movement toward you (I've seen scan on Armageddon, and it's good,
: >>but it's a pain if aggro mobs are going to charge you--esp. considering
: >>the fact that mobs tend to act faster than players).

: >
: >Hmmm, now there's an idea. Send messages based upon actions which are

: >likely to be of interest to the player, and ignore some others. For
: >example, suppose you are in a crowded city. You might normally see
: >something like:

: >

: Well... I think it would be very simple.

: Based on a characters INT,WIS and DEX and say farsee ability.
: whatever..

: The hairs on the back of your neck raise, something is about to happen!?

: or

: Goose pimples break out on your skin, a sense of dread comes over you.

: MEssages such as this.. would simple be warning messages that
: convey the idea that YOU are a target of "something" and then
: YOU BETTER SCAN. =)

: Of course this works really well if like Armageddon it takes a round to
: do the incantation for a spell so you have time to flee the caster
: or kill them. =)

: of course with ARmageddon down. *sigh* this is irrelavant a bit.

: p.s yes my spelling sucks.. but its the message not the medium.

: Sojourn... yes you can take my idea.. and hurry up about it. =)
: *cackle* glad I'm not an IMM that has to deal with silly users
: wanting a perfect mud in 2 days.

*laugh* I.I. cap'im! =) This is possible to do, but not for awhile. Missile
weapon code as Im imping it will technically have no maximum range limit. I
could take my god dagger and throw it 100 rooms in a stright line if the
weapon were set to go that far. :p Normal range weapons have a max range of
3 rooms right now, and the SCAN command will allow you to see mobiles in
some detail at that range. There is a delay for every reload of a range
weapon, depending on the weapon, and bow strings can break real easy. Ill
illustrate in more detail when its done.

Andrew Smith

Sep 14, 1994, 11:08:07 PM9/14/94

In a previous article, sca...@netcom.com (Shawn L. Baird) says:

>ku...@uclink.berkeley.edu (Edward Aart Korthof) writes:

>>two). Which is logical--and it'd be neat if, with a toggle set, you would
>>notice movement toward you (I've seen scan on Armageddon, and it's good,
>>but it's a pain if aggro mobs are going to charge you--esp. considering
>>the fact that mobs tend to act faster than players).
>

>Hmmm, now there's an idea. Send messages based upon actions which are
>likely to be of interest to the player, and ignore some others. For
>example, suppose you are in a crowded city. You might normally see
>something like:

Well... I think it would be very simple.

Based on a characters INT,WIS and DEX and say farsee ability.
whatever..

The hairs on the back of your neck raise, something is about to happen!?

or

Goose pimples break out on your skin, a sense of dread comes over you.

MEssages such as this.. would simple be warning messages that
convey the idea that YOU are a target of "something" and then
YOU BETTER SCAN. =)

Of course this works really well if like Armageddon it takes a round to
do the incantation for a spell so you have time to flee the caster
or kill them. =)

of course with ARmageddon down. *sigh* this is irrelavant a bit.

p.s yes my spelling sucks.. but its the message not the medium.

Sojourn... yes you can take my idea.. and hurry up about it. =)
*cackle* glad I'm not an IMM that has to deal with silly users
wanting a perfect mud in 2 days.

Moosehead? why are you down for? that new machine you've been saying
for all of the summer.? finally?

*shake*
BYE.
Cron.