The Return of Sojourn

Kris Kortright

Dec 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/25/98
Sojourn, the mud legend that spawned both Toril and Duris,
that existed as a powerhouse in the mudding world, is about to return.
It is not the same Sojourn of legend, most of the original founders
are gone, but the code base is powerful, the areas are without equal
anywhere else, and the new management promises an atmosphere better
and friendlier than existed before..

The Forgers of Toril, Lloth and Mystra, have retired from muding
more or less. They still own Sojourn, but have no part in it's creation,
upgrade, and management. In fact, it is unlikely we will be around much
at all. Instead, the four elder gods of Toril, Shevarash, Cyric,
Kiaransalee, and Mask are now the head Forgers that run and control
Sojourn. Many of you who hated Lloth and Mystra, some with good reason
and some without, can rejoice in the fact that we have retired. :p
(cheer, have a beer, whatever). In truth, we recognized that we had
been burned too many times, and had become cynical and mean to many.
The life cycle turned upon itself with us, and we realized it was time
to step down and let others build the future.

The original owner of Duris MUD, Cython, has given us a legal
copy of Duris code and areas for use with Sojourn. We shut down
Toril 3 months ago to begin a transition from the old to the new,
changing many policies and adding elements of Durian code to the
Toril code tree to produce a superior mud. This process is still
underway, and will take some time to complete, but the end result
will be a mud that combines the best qualities of both into one.
It is almost as if the two straggling children have come home at
last. :) It will continue to run on my hardware at MediaOne,
nested comfortably on a dual-T3 backbone that is fast for most
people.

The vision of Sojourn is not that of Duris, or Toril. In the
beginning, there will still be no pkill, but only until the code
has been set right to allow player killing between guilds and any
who wish to participate. It will not be fallopian pkill as Duris
had, but nor will be it devoid of player killing as Toril was. We
have added many new features to the game, such as a completely new
set of mage classes, a full trade and economic system that will
govern wealth and power, expanded guild systems that allow for
both simple to make and complex association structures, and many
small fixes and changes to improve upon what Toril was. A full
feature list will be posted on opening day, January 1st, 1999.

The biggest change is in the attitude of the place.. Duris was
known for its Chaos and lack of player government, Toril was known
for its ultra strict government and tyranny. Sojourn will be
neither of these, but instead a relaxed government where twinkies
are still not tolerated, but nor will deletion be an everyday
occurrence. Having retired from mudding, myself and Mystra have
ensured the success of this new management in deviating from our
old ways.

In following with our finest traditions, Sojourn is Not intending
to compete with Basternae, or Medevia, or any other mud on the net.
That's not the point, we never claimed to be the best and nor will
we do so with Sojourn. Our goal is to build a great environment for
mudding, Diku style, and to hopefully rebuild the great empire and
continue the glorious tradition of Sojourn.

Miax

Kristopher Kortright k...@mediaone.net
Systems Engineer for Service Co. LLC.
Road Runner Broadband Data Services 734.641.3893

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."
Friedrich Nietzsche

sthrn...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
It's Jan 1....is it open? What's the addy?

A full
> feature list will be posted on opening day, January 1st, 1999.
>
> The biggest change is in the attitude of the place.. Duris was
> known for its Chaos and lack of player government, Toril was known
> for its ultra strict government and tyranny. Sojourn will be
> neither of these, but instead a relaxed government where twinkies
> are still not tolerated, but nor will deletion be an everyday
> occurrence. Having retired from mudding, myself and Mystra have
> ensured the success of this new management in deviating from our
> old ways.
>
> In following with our finest traditions, Sojourn is Not intending
> to compete with Basternae, or Medevia, or any other mud on the net.
> That's not the point, we never claimed to be the best and nor will
> we do so with Sojourn. Our goal is to build a great environment for
> mudding, Diku style, and to hopefully rebuild the great empire and
> continue the glorious tradition of Sojourn.
>
> Miax
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Kristopher Kortright k...@mediaone.net
> Systems Engineer for Service Co. LLC.
> Road Runner Broadband Data Services 734.641.3893
>
> "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."
> Friedrich Nietzsche

Mark

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
On Fri, 01 Jan 1999 19:12:40 GMT, sthrn...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

It will open at 6pm eastern time. We're giving people time to recover
from their hangovers. :) Address will be:

24.131.3.33 9999

Jorak of Sojourn
Mask of Toril

-AW

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99

Hrm... You don't seem to be allowing new character creation.
When will we be able to -play-?

-AW

Mark

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 02:18:05 GMT, -AW <n...@spam.com> wrote:

Should be fine, although we may lock char creation early in the
morning when no one is online. No point in letting your name bounce
over and over with no one to accept.

Jorak of Sojourn