a neat thing to do with tintin

howard edgar iii tweddle

May 14, 1993, 8:27:04 PM5/14/93
What else is the storage going to be used for Mr. Stine? More monsters, rooms,
items, etc?
Why not put some part of that storage to use for players by allowing
a quicktyper?

howard edgar iii tweddle

May 14, 1993, 10:32:16 PM5/14/93
Mr. Brumleve, I believe you mistook my original posting. I didn't blame
the mud admins. I would merely like to know why it is so difficult to
put the quicktypers in place. I've seen them on other muds.
I also resent your remark about belligerance. My fingers don't get sore
that easy, but after an hour or two *small amounts of time compared to
what some of you addicts spend :) * my typing goes to hell, and instead
of typing cast 'fireball' dragon, I'll get some screwy thing that comes back
"huh?" or something. Some players can die from this. A spell that would
have saved them, fails because they had these long line commands to type.
I merely want to see if there is a reason for not having the quicktyper, and
if there is, is there a way the quicktyper "COULD" be put in.
Many players aren't great typers like yourself, and the occasional
mistyped sentence can have lethal results, for the caster or a group member.
I'm just interested in making the game better, and there is no reason for
your remarks about my intelligence. People like you are a hinderance
to progress, improvement, and overall game fun. So why not be productive
instead of being a foul mouth jerk on public media? Go play a game. :)

Jeffrey Stine

May 15, 1993, 12:13:07 AM5/15/93
In article <1t1kng...@python.cis.ohio-state.edu> twe...@cis.ohio-state.edu (howard edgar iii tweddle) writes:
> People like you are a hinderance
>to progress, improvement, and overall game fun. So why not be productive
>instead of being a foul mouth jerk on public media? Go play a game. :)

People like him are perhaps the only reason you even have these games to
play in the first place. I dare say that his work has advanced "progress"
a far sight more than anyone complaining about "why not this or that."
Progress can't be measured in how much you pleasure the masses.

You asked about why and I supplied my view on that question. Others
may be more sympathetic to your views, pat you on the back and say something
like, "It's ok, I'll work hard for your enjoyment." And there are those
that give the contrary evidance or take acception to people always trying
to take advantage of us or knock the people that do their own thing.
You think someone had to ask me to invent the code for HUNT?

Another point about supplying "quicktypers" at the server level:
Why re-invent the wheel every time? You have clients, use them.

If you publicly lament the fact that programmers don't put your favorite
tool in their servers and then mention the word lazy and you can pretty well
expect a less than warm responce. Some of us are just die-hard dinos.

Quite frankly I hope Dan and every other implementor takes your advice
to "go play a game." Of course then who ya gonna call? :)

-jeff

Dan Brumleve

May 15, 1993, 4:08:46 AM5/15/93
twe...@cis.ohio-state.edu (howard edgar iii tweddle) writes:

Hah! I've been flamed!

>Mr. Brumleve, I believe you mistook my original posting. I didn't blame
>the mud admins.

('#' designates lines from the original article)

# If you are too lazy to
#write the code yourselves, mud coders, then why are you admins/coders/imps?
#If you can make the game more pleasant for the players and maintain order, why
#not make quicktypers that autoload and save the aliases *no #actions* ?

In my opinion, at least, you _did_ blame the MUD administrators.

> I would merely like to know why it is so difficult to
>put the quicktypers in place.

I believe Mr. Stine already explained that in depth. Aliases aren't
"difficult" to put in, but will often consume a lot of disk space that
many administrators just don't have.

> I've seen them on other muds.

Some people have 2 meg disk quotas. Others have 50 meg disk quotas.
Go figure.

>I also resent your remark about belligerance.

Well, it certainly sounded belligerent to me.

> My fingers don't get sore
>that easy, but after an hour or two *small amounts of time compared to
>what some of you addicts spend :) * my typing goes to hell, and instead
>of typing cast 'fireball' dragon, I'll get some screwy thing that comes back
>"huh?" or something.

Try using a client?

> Some players can die from this.

Again, try using a client.

> A spell that would
>have saved them, fails because they had these long line commands to type.
>I merely want to see if there is a reason for not having the quicktyper, and
>if there is, is there a way the quicktyper "COULD" be put in.

The only really convenient way (that I can think of) to do
_complete_ aliases (not just command abbreviations) would be to
use fixed string sizes for the "input" and "output" text (say,
20 bytes and 40 bytes, respectively), and a fixed number of aliases
per player (say 10). That comes out to 8K per player, and a
large MUD could easily use 2 or more megabytes on aliases alone.

>Many players aren't great typers like yourself,

Why, thank you.

> and the occasional
>mistyped sentence can have lethal results, for the caster or a group member.

Again, either learn to type, use a client, find a MUD that has
aliases, pester your local MUD administrator until he/she/it adds them,
but don't post a whiny article to Usenet proclaiming that every MUD
in existence must conform to your standards.

>I'm just interested in making the game better, and there is no reason for
>your remarks about my intelligence.

I really just through that in for flavor (seemed the most apt
noun I could think of at the time.)

> People like you are a hinderance
>to progress, improvement, and overall game fun. So why not be productive
>instead of being a foul mouth jerk on public media? Go play a game. :)

Dan Brumleve, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
(brum...@atropa.stat.uiuc.edu, brum...@imsasun.imsa.edu)

"A computer chattered away to itself for no apparent reason.
This was because reason had in fact gone out to lunch."
-Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

howard edgar iii tweddle

May 16, 1993, 4:36:35 AM5/16/93
Ok, so I guess this means it is too much trouble to implement what's
already been done on some muds for your own mud. Hell, I don't care
whether you put them in on all the muds or not. I cannot play them
all anyway, not realistically...
Btw, I have ftp-ed and compiled tintin_v3 and it works just fine.
The main reason I started this article in the first place
was because I was reading all this bullshit about #sys -rm or some
shit like that. I've since found ways to protect myself *and friends
who also play know these protecting methods now* so go right ahead,
you assholes who like to do the force all to etc etc etc rm all
files, you'll only piss off everyone using the client and playing
YOUR mud!
You'll be lucky to ever get people to play there again, if you do it.
Well, that's all I have to say now, so think about it. If you don't
want or can't put quicktypers in, at least don't jest or make
comments about such serious matters as removing someones home directory
contents when they are using a client. Some of us need something that
saves our butt in the game because we are not fantastic typers.

howard edgar iii tweddle

May 16, 1993, 4:43:00 AM5/16/93
If nothing else comes from this, at least the reasons for not having
quicktypers on most muds have come to light. Thanks for that much.
I hope this discussion will continue amongst you until something
productive, even helpful, comes from all of it.
My intentions are still good, no matter what ANYONE says, even though
what I tried to get done has failed.
Hopefully, in the future, someone will find a way to cut down on
some of the problems facing us who are less than great typers.

Alan Krantz

May 16, 1993, 8:37:50 AM5/16/93
In article <1t4uej...@python.cis.ohio-state.edu> twe...@cis.ohio-state.edu (howard edgar iii tweddle) writes:

>Ok, so I guess this means it is too much trouble to implement what's
>already been done on some muds for your own mud. Hell, I don't care
>whether you put them in on all the muds or not. I cannot play them
>all anyway, not realistically...

Hey - it's not the imps who are lazy but the players. It's obvious if
they need a client they should simply write their own. Then they don't
have to worry about - er - unexpected behavior of those clients they
leisurely ftp. (non-existing problem of players using tintin on mud with
nasty imp follows)

atk (who really isn't sure if muds should have alias or not and really
doens't care)

Dan Brumleve

May 16, 1993, 12:40:13 PM5/16/93
twe...@cis.ohio-state.edu (howard edgar iii tweddle) writes:

Did you even read my last post? If you want aliases, do
the following:

1. Scream at the administrator of the MUD you play (but not r.g.m.d.)

If that doesn't work, then try

2. Use a client.

If you're afraid of morons making you remove all your files, then try

3. Use a client not written by a weenie like Unold.

There. Simple, isn't it?

Thenndrax, God of Death and Destruction=

May 16, 1993, 12:59:31 PM5/16/93

> Did you even read my last post? If you want aliases, do
>the following:
>
>1. Scream at the administrator of the MUD you play (but not r.g.m.d.)
>
> If that doesn't work, then try
>
>2. Use a client.
>
> If you're afraid of morons making you remove all your files, then try

Remove the #sys function...

>3. Use a client not written by a weenie like Unold.
>
> There. Simple, isn't it?

I don't see any version of the 'AlmightyBrumleveClient'
anywhere that one can ftp it..Why don't you write a better client
Danny? Or would that interfere with your nap time..what are you? 4
now? Your post gives me that impression..

>--
>Dan Brumleve, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
>(brum...@atropa.stat.uiuc.edu, brum...@imsasun.imsa.edu)
>
>"A computer chattered away to itself for no apparent reason.
> This was because reason had in fact gone out to lunch."
> -Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

| Watch your thoughts, they become words. | Phil Lawrence |

Dan Brumleve

May 16, 1993, 5:43:45 PM5/16/93
p_la...@oz.plymouth.edu (Thenndrax, God of Death and Destruction=) writes:

>> If you're afraid of morons making you remove all your files, then try

> Remove the #sys function...

Fine, if you know enough C to do it (most MUDders don't, and many
who do learn it from mangling DikuMUD code.) And Unold is still a weenie.

>>3. Use a client not written by a weenie like Unold.
>>
>> There. Simple, isn't it?

> I don't see any version of the 'AlmightyBrumleveClient'
> anywhere that one can ftp it..Why don't you write a better client
> Danny?

No, but there _are_ an assortment of non-weenie clients, like
TinyFugue, TinyTalk, and PMF, to name a few.

> Or would that interfere with your nap time..what are you? 4
> now? Your post gives me that impression..

Thenny, are you still mad about being zapped on my MUD about
a year ago? You'd think a wise and mature person such as yourself
would be able to get over it by now.

>| Watch your thoughts, they become words. | Phil Lawrence |

Jeffrey Stine

May 16, 1993, 10:11:22 PM5/16/93
In article <1993May16....@colorado.edu> a...@tigger.cs.Colorado.EDU (Alan Krantz) writes:
>In article <1t4uej...@python.cis.ohio-state.edu> twe...@cis.ohio-state.edu (howard edgar iii tweddle) writes:
>
>Hey - it's not the imps who are lazy but the players. It's obvious if
>they need a client they should simply write their own.

I admit I can't tell if this was just plain sarcasm or not. But I
wouldn't advocate this either. If players had to rely on their ability
to program their own client, then there wouldn't be enough to go around.

-jeff

Alan Krantz

May 17, 1993, 7:41:37 AM5/17/93

Of course it's sarcasm - i sincerely doubt every player who plays mud
has the ability to write their own client. However, if someone is going
to whine about tintin this or tintin that then they shouldn't use it as
oppose to whining.

Anyways, there are other real problems with alias and clients. I think
this discussion has come up several times - but it's the issue of things
like pk'ing. You know the pker with the local link and the alias and the
client vs the fellow from overseas using telnet. Even alias are bad -
like ones that do this:

use rose bonk
use rose bonk
use rose bonk
use rose bonk
remove rose
hold 2.rose
use rose bonk
use rose bonk
use rose bonk
use rose bonk

If the mud allows you to invoke a wand multiple times per round then the
defender (whether it be pc or npc) really has no defense (footnote 1).
Anyways - I guess we all have our vision of what a mud is - er should be
and probably no two vision are identical - though I have to say while i
think clients are a nice tool - the way most people use them sort of
goes against my vision of what a mud should be.

atk

footnote 1 - don't bother with the obvious followup that wands should
have a wait state. That isn't the issue - just an example.

Me

May 20, 1993, 5:08:48 PM5/20/93
a...@tigger.cs.Colorado.EDU (Alan Krantz) writes:

> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
> remove rose
> hold 2.rose
> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
> use rose bonk
>
> If the mud allows you to invoke a wand multiple times per round then the
> defender (whether it be pc or npc) really has no defense (footnote 1).
> Anyways - I guess we all have our vision of what a mud is - er should be
> and probably no two vision are identical - though I have to say while i
> think clients are a nice tool - the way most people use them sort of
> goes against my vision of what a mud should be.
>

> atk
>

> footnote 1 - don't bother with the obvious followup that wands should
> have a wait state. That isn't the issue - just an example.

Another small problem is the #100 drop 1 coin.
So, you end up getting this very large stack of one coin in a room.
Unless the mud has a max amount of onjects set in the room, anyone
who enters the room drops link. Yeah, it is a very old trick, but
is annoying if the mud has not done anything to prevent it.

reni
147.226.112.94 6969

Eric L. Pilcher

May 22, 1993, 5:11:04 PM5/22/93
In article <exelC7C...@netcom.com> ex...@netcom.com (Me) writes:

>Another small problem is the #100 drop 1 coin.
>So, you end up getting this very large stack of one coin in a room.
>Unless the mud has a max amount of onjects set in the room, anyone
>who enters the room drops link. Yeah, it is a very old trick, but
>is annoying if the mud has not done anything to prevent it.

Better yet, if you play a mud that doesn't auto advance characters to
the next level you can do mass coin drops at the dump and get an exp point
per coin dropped at low levels.

I've actually watched players give 5 or 6 or 10 mil coins to a level 1 player
and then issued commands such as #1000000 drop 1 coin (yeah, this will break
link eventually, which is why they tend to run this in the background).

Anyway, talk about boredom....

-Rasta
--
-Eric L. Pilcher gt7...@prism.gatech.edu ra...@tiegan.csos.orst.edu
Your next article key explodes in the face of the Article.| "I'm in trouble