Reply to Steve (Re Medievia)

Mike Smith

May 1, 1993, 11:39:51 PM5/1/93
For some unknown reason, Bigboy won't allow me to use the Follow up command, so I have to write this as a whole new article. Please pardon that, there is nothing I can do about it.

this is to ste...@cory.Berkeley.edu.

Steve, you seem to be someone who's had the experience of being on the mud once or twice, making a quick bunch of assumptions, and leaving.
The majority of the things you mentioned that were "wrong" with it, were things
that caused some great friction between some of the implementors, and were fixedin a matter of hours. You sure didn't stick around long, if you didn't see
the rent problem rectified. You completely neglected to mention the u-store-it
facility, and you totally misunderstand almost every thing you made a commentaryabout. For instance, you don't give the item to a mobile, there's no mobile there, the mud is interactive, show me another mud that can ask questions of a
player, they don't exist. The "Fount of Wisdom" is simply some text in that room, the
command to offer the crystal to the fount is just that, code, has nothing to do
with a mobile. As for my zones, you're wrong, they take quite a bit of time, and most of the mob's in the zones were made from scratch, with the exception
of the executioner, the rock slug, the green dragon, and various forrest
creatures (bear, fox, deer, etc) which we could not see duplicating the work on, since it'd be pointless. The others are totally original mobs. Also you
fail to mention that we have put together over 1000 rooms, in 15 zones in
under 1 month's time. You omitted the fact that if a user wants to he or she
can get around renting by buying a house (Something I've seen other muds
OFFER to add in at some later date, but have never done. You make some
stupid commentary about the gods forcing users to do this or that, or players
being purged or frozen, THAT SIR IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL LIE! Since the "FREEZE" command was STRIPPED right out of our code! We can't freeze, what we DO however do
is if a player is getting out of line, tempororally ban the site, until we can
have a conversation with that person, and if that gets us nowhere, a conversation with the operator of the server they are on. It appears to me that you are probably the asshole "Kiljoy" who took such pleasure in gossiping "FUCK YOU ALL"
a thousand times in a row, and caused a big ruckus on the mmud to the point where we had to take away the capability to shout/gos/auction etc from players below level 6.
People like you ruin muds, your ideas aren't of any value, you just start trouble. Your flame post isn't helping, it's just pissing me off. There isn't one single word of constructive critisism in it, you tell us "scrap the merc code" Oh yea, right, like we're going to just scrap all our work just because some drugged up smacked ass thinks we should. Get a clue man! It's a game, if you don't like it, DO NOT come on! We don't need your type. I said in the letter that the mud was under development, and we ac

cept ideas from our players, but we won't listen to garbage like this, this is nothing short of an insult, and you can go fuck off if you think I'm paying any attention to it, aside from telling you were to get off, and pointing out what an ass you are.

As for your opinion being "less-biast"? Yea right! I didn't give anyone an opinion of the mud, I welcomed them to come check us out, if they don't like us, they're free to NOT use it. Just like you. We aren't forcing you to use it. As a matter of fact, in the caseof total assholes like you, we'd prefer if you'd stay as far away as possible. We don't want jerkoffs!

Later on, simpelton!

Scarrow

May 2, 1993, 4:16:32 PM5/2/93
msmith@bigboy (Mike Smith) writes:
>the rent problem rectified. You completely neglected to mention the u-store-it
^^^^^^^^^^

>player, they don't exist. The "Fount of Wisdom" is simply some text in that
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>command to offer the crystal to the fount is just that, code, has nothing to
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>fail to mention that we have put together over 1000 rooms, in 15 zones in
>under 1 month's time. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>can get around renting by buying a house (Something I've seen other muds
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>It appears to me that you are probably the asshole "Kiljoy" who took such
>pleasure in gossiping "FUCK YOU ALL"

The ^s above should be self-explanatory (especially if you know my view of
things).

Just a quick comment. I really doubt Steve would do this. He brought his
dislikes here to netnews, which is a good forum. He's more mature than you
are, and I doubt he'd waste the time and effort to annoy you in such a petty
way.

>People like you ruin muds, your ideas aren't of any value, you just start
>trouble.

I'm sorry, but it's your ideas that aren't of any value. This is, of course,
a subjective argument. I guess you just wanted posts that would lick your
boots for being an awesome modifier of Merc code. Maybe you can fake a new
group for alt.mud.diku.merc and go play around in it.

>Your flame post isn't helping, it's just pissing me off. There isn't one
>single word of constructive critisism in it, you tell us "scrap the merc code"

The most constructive criticism I've seen to date. He's right. Scrap it.
You refer to Steve as the "drugged up smacked ass" and furthermore state the
age old (and quite boring and predictable) "It's a game ..." To me, it looks
like you're the one who could use a dose of reality, as you seem a bit
obsessed with what was, basically, an opinion (and not one that will be shared
by everyone).

>cept ideas from our players, but we won't listen to garbage like this, this
>is nothing short of an insult, and you can go fuck off if you think I'm

^^^^^^^^

>paying any attention to it, aside from telling you were to get off, and
>pointing out what an ass you are.

^^^
My my ... we seem to have missed a few terms. Surely you can do better.
Okay, look ... I don't like Merc-based MUDs (any of them I've been on), I
don't like your MUD. There are several reasons why I don't like your MUD.
(Refer to ^s above.) *Scarrow patiently twiddles his thumbs while waiting for
the name calling to begin.*

>As a matter of fact, in the caseof total assholes like you, we'd prefer if
>you'd stay as far away as possible. We don't want jerkoffs!

Heh. Perhaps that's because your quota is already quite full. In reality,
it's good to say: "This is my mud, I'll cater to a certain sort of player and
if people don't like it, they can go mud elsewhere." On the other hand, if
people don't like your mud, and they want to say publically they don't like
your mud, so what? You can, of course, point out the reasons for liking it
(in your opinion), but trying to defame the other person by using the word ass
as much as possible probably doesn't help much.

>Later on, simpelton!

Scarrow the Simple-minded Solicitor of Souls

--
Shawn L. Baird (Scarrow) | "By all means, take the moral high ground --
bai...@ursula.ee.pdx.edu | all that heavenly backlighting makes you a

Steve Lumetta

May 2, 1993, 9:10:00 PM5/2/93
(The following quotes are edited to have < 80 chars per line. Not sure
about the majority of readers, but I know long lines make my emulator
miserable...)

msmith@bigboy (Mike Smith) writes:
>Steve, you seem to be someone who's had the experience of being on the mud
>once or twice, making a quick bunch of assumptions, and leaving.

No, actually I've spent quite a bit of time there now (> 24 hours play
time). Can't really rationalize why, mostly just to talk to people I
know I guess.

>The majority of the things you mentioned that were "wrong" with it, were
>things that caused some great friction between some of the implementors,

>and were fixed in a matter of hours. You sure didn't stick around long, if

>you didn't see the rent problem rectified. You completely neglected to

Funny, I was on last night. You have some kind of autosave now, but
people who are on there more often than I were still pretty nervous
about gaining xp and having the place crash. I haven't timed your
autosaves, so maybe there's not a problem. Yes, I didn't mention
"U-Store-It," which has some nice bugs of its own (which I've pointed
out to you).

>For instance, you don't give the item to a mobile, there's no mobile there,

This is, I assume, referring to the 'dragon crystal,' which you
originally put forth as a 'quest.' Granted, I did not know the exact
details of the special procedure or two involved, only that it was not
more than one or two small bits of code, unassociated with any
background (since it was used about 20 times for various 'quests' one
night--one of the quests was to find and kill 2 aggressive mobs--not
sure how many crystals were given out for this one--another 'qst' was to
be the last mortal alive in the arena--I think everyone was killed by a
single backstab from the highest level player, wielding a 10d2+6+5
shortsword--anyway, there were 3 crystals given as a reward for killing
maybe 7-8 other players (completely risk-free, except for a minor xp
loss)).

>the mud is interactive, show me another mud that can ask questions of a
>player, they don't exist.

Well, someone told me last night that Carnage has some pattern-matching
capability in its special-writing-language (this is hearsay, I've
never been there). I've never seen anything or heard of anything even
remotely 'interactive' on Medievia, although I've seen quite a few
things one might call 'interactive' on other muds (if one calls special
procs interactive).

>As for my zones, you're wrong, they take quite a bit of time, and most of
>the mob's in the zones were made from scratch, with the exception
>of the executioner, the rock slug, the green dragon, and various forrest

I don't think I said anything about you using old mobs. I said that you
had only a handful of mobs in each zone, which were reused in other
zones. The items were what I said were snatched from older zones (e.g.,
drow). By the way, I asked the highest player in the database to name
10 aggressive mobs for me last night. Between the two of us we came up
with 9 (in the world).

>fail to mention that we have put together over 1000 rooms, in 15 zones in
>under 1 month's time. You omitted the fact that if a user wants to he or she
>can get around renting by buying a house (Something I've seen other muds
>OFFER to add in at some later date, but have never done.

Hmm, I can put together 1000 rooms in about a minute's time if I wanted
to just copy descs. Maybe a little longer to write some code to link
the rooms semi-randomly (e.g., Labrynth [sic]) or in straight lines (as
in most of your other zones).

> You make some
>stupid commentary about the gods forcing users to do this or that, or players
>being purged or frozen, THAT SIR IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL LIE! Since the
>"FREEZE" command was STRIPPED right out of our code!

Well, it's your word against mine. Perhaps you just don't remember--it
was when you were using the 2.0 code. You froze 'NoOneReally,' purged
'Potato,' and I think the forces were on the former. Anyway, no big
deal--just thought you were quite immature about the matter.

>It appears to me that you are probably the asshole "Kiljoy" who took such
>pleasure in gossiping "FUCK YOU ALL" a thousand times in a row, and caused a

No, sorry, not me. I expect you record the sites of people entering and
leaving, and that this person was from Berkeley? If not, you should put
that in--in fact, saving node information with the players will help a
lot in tracing people.

>big ruckus on the mmud to the point where we had to take away the capability
>to shout/gos/auction etc from players below level 6.

Hmm, don't forget those other silly commands--clshout and ashout. Ever
consider a more realistic communication scheme? At least put something
innovative in on the cheesy side--maybe 256/65536 channels that players can
name and block etc.--like irc on a diku :) Sorry, not a big fan of
global communication.

[Baseless insults and namecalling deleted]
>Later on, simpelton!
That's 'simpleton.' As I'm sure people know, I'm not a big fan of
cheesy muds--the kind where you start up and gain 20 levels in the first
hour, become a walking tank, get 12 attacks and can boast about doing
1824 average damage per round. But there's really a place for cheesy
muds--sometimes when you're just braindead you don't feel like
thinking--or maybe you just want that feeling of smashing everything you
see to relieve some stress. But it's kind of silly to be half cheesy
and half realistic, and that's where I see Medievia going right now.

I'm tempted to be insulting, having been needlessly verbally assaulted,
but I don't think anyone out there is really interested in more
name-calling or trivia about Medievia.

What do people think about getting together a team of mud-visitors?
We'd have to allow some cheesy fans, I guess, but no one affiliated with
any of the muds themselves. Try to give unbiased reports on what good
features available on new muds? Hmm, I'd like to see something like
that. Most imps tend to exaggerate their accomplishments in
announcements, and I'd like a more boiled-down summary on where to go
and what to see than a list of the 75 dikus in existence. I guess it'd
be hard to formalize.

--Steve

Jeffrey Stine

May 2, 1993, 10:55:42 PM5/2/93
In article <1993May2.0...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu> msmith@bigboy (Mike Smith) writes:

>this is to ste...@cory.Berkeley.edu.
> [ A great deal of name calling and trash talking deleted. ]
>Later on, simpelton!

Boy was I wrong. I hope everyone ignores my request not to say anything
about Medevia or at least the type of person that would post such garbage
about someone that is more mature, creative, knowledgable and intelligent
than Mr. Smith could ever imagine to be.
I have known Steve for some time now and he is not the type of person
to idly post the sort of critisms he made nor is he a lier. While the
critisms made were possibly largely based on certain preformed opinions,
they were nonetheless valid and deserved a much better reply or no reply
at all.
Personal attacks like Mr. Smith's have no real place in public debate.
That sort of rhetoric is old, pathetic and juvenile. If you really want
to be taken seriously and win a lot of support for your efforts, I ask
you Mike to make an apology and either debate the critisms or dismiss them.
Your temper may be the undoing of your mud ventures otherwise.
I would rather see any possibilty of using Avi's resources for the running
of Adversary disappear, than listen to such ridiculous and vicious personal
attacks on people, friends or otherwise.

-jeff

"He who restrains his words has knowledge,
and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding."
-Proverbs 17.27

Zwei-Tseng Chang -- ACF

May 3, 1993, 1:11:56 AM5/3/93

I hate reading/editing article that does not have a new line character at
end of every line.

(Mike Smith) writes:

>For some unknown reason, Bigboy won't allow me to use the Follow up command,
>so I have to write this as a whole new article. Please pardon that, there is
>nothing I can do about it.
>
>this is to ste...@cory.Berkeley.edu.
>
>Steve, you seem to be someone who's had the experience of being on the mud
>once or twice, making a quick bunch of assumptions, and leaving.

Mike, you are wrong. Steve has much more experience of being on the mud once
or twice, and what he wrote were his opinions and observations of the mud
not assumptions. I know because I was on the mud with him several times.
And you did ask for players' ideas/suggestions didn't you? How come you arm
yourself with flametorch (and worse...) as soon as you hear negative remarks
without realizing that they actually make sense?

>The majority of the things you mentioned that were "wrong" with it, were things
>that caused some great friction between some of the implementors, and were
>fixedin a matter of hours. You sure didn't stick around long, if you didn't see

How long does it take to find and fix the board problem? But I guess limiting
certain board access to only immortals or just take the board away from game
will do.

>the rent problem rectified. You completely neglected to mention the u-store-it
>facility, and you totally misunderstand almost every thing you made a

Talk about the wonderful autosave/rent features and u-store-it. Just the other
day, the lockers started disappearing along with all items stored. Also,
I kept getting 'Sorry disk error' message every time game attempt an
autosave. So I rented and came right back, not only all my items were gone,
my char disappeared as well.

>commentaryabout. For instance, you don't give the item to a mobile, there's no
>mobile there, the mud is interactive, show me another mud that can ask
>questions of a player, they don't exist. The "Fount of Wisdom" is simply some

Hmm... Don't I remember years back in the original lp mud where in order
to become an wizard, one would have to get another senior wizard to sponsor,
and it was done by both going to the grand wizard and answer some questions.
And the grand wizard was not human controlled. Is that what you mean by
'..mud that can ask questions of a player..'?

>text in that room, the command to offer the crystal to the fount is just that,
>code, has nothing to do with a mobile. As for my zones, you're wrong, they
>take quite a bit of time, and most of the mob's in the zones were made from
>scratch, with the exception of the executioner, the rock slug, the green
>dragon, and various forrest creatures (bear, fox, deer, etc) which we could
>not see duplicating the work on, since it'd be pointless. The others are

How about the objects in the game? How many of them are original? From what
I've seen I would say that more than 80% of the objects were taken from other
muds. But again, I haven't see all of the objects in your mud and I haven't
played all other muds either. And I feel that designing original and meaningful
objects would take quite a bit of time too.

>totally original mobs. Also you fail to mention that we have put together
>over 1000 rooms, in 15 zones in under 1 month's time. You omitted the fact

And you failed to mention how many times you had to purge the playerfile
completely due to the ongoing development and bugs. I think I'm capable
of putting together a mud of over 1000 rooms, in 15 zones and crashes like
every other minute in under 1 month's time. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating :-)

>that if a user wants to he or she can get around renting by buying a house
>(Something I've seen other muds OFFER to add in at some later date, but have
>never done. You make some stupid commentary about the gods forcing users to
>do this or that, or players being purged or frozen, THAT SIR IS A COMPLETE
>AND TOTAL LIE! Since the "FREEZE" command was STRIPPED right out of our code

>We can't freeze, what we DO however do is if a player is getting out of line,
>tempororally ban the site, until we can have a conversation with that person,

Here you use 'we', have you actually sit down and talk with all the people with
immortal or above characters on your mud? If some of them are honest, you'll
find out who's been forcing players to do this and that. And it doesn't
take a 'freeze' command for someone with implementor power to freeze or
purge a player.

>and if that gets us nowhere, a conversation with the operator of the server
>they are on. It appears to me that you are probably the asshole "Kiljoy" who
>took such pleasure in gossiping "FUCK YOU ALL" a thousand times in a row,

And with the same information you provided, I can also say that Steve is
'probably' not the guy who gossiped those words. Please don't accuse someone
of doing something when you have no proof.

>and caused a big ruckus on the mmud to the point where we had to take away
>the capability to shout/gos/auction etc from players below level 6.
>People like you ruin muds, your ideas aren't of any value, you just start
>trouble. Your flame post isn't helping, it's just pissing me off. There isn't
>one single word of constructive critisism in it, you tell us "scrap the merc
>code" Oh yea, right, like we're going to just scrap all our work just because
>some drugged up smacked ass thinks we should. Get a clue man! It's a game, if

I thought Steve's post was honest and constructive. Isn't that what you asked
for? Or would you rather have people lie and post something to tell others
how great your mud is? I guess I won't tell you my opinions/suggestions
of your mud, just to save myself from being called names. Or is it too
late now :-)

>you don't like it, DO NOT come on! We don't need your type. I said in the
>letter that the mud was under development, and

>cept ideas from our players, but we won't listen to garbage like this, this
>is nothing short of an insult, and you can go fuck off if you think I'm
>paying any attention to it, aside from telling you were to get off, and
>pointing out what an ass you are.
>
>As for your opinion being "less-biast"? Yea right! I didn't give anyone an
>opinion of the mud, I welcomed them to come check us out, if they don't like
>us, they're free to NOT use it. Just like you. We aren't forcing you to use
>it. As a matter of fact, in the caseof total assholes like you, we'd prefer
>if you'd stay as far away as possible. We don't want jerkoffs!
>
>Later on, simpelton!

Hey, mudding is supposed to be fun. Don't be too hard on yourself, just
because the mud keeps crashing, players doing things you don't want them
to do, your recently implemented bug fix code introduce new problems...
You have a mud running on an approved site, which is what a lot of us
dream of having. Let your action speaks for itself and not your words.

Ray

Mike Smith

May 4, 1993, 5:06:21 PM5/4/93
Jeffrey Stine (st...@handel.psu.edu) wrote:

I really don't care what you think Jeff, Steve's post, and the posts that
followed it were blatent flames, and were uncalled for beyond belief. Every
issue he brought up that had any validity, had been fixed within a day. So
he was never anyone who frequented the mud. He is a trouble maker, and that
is all there is to it. If you find my personal attacks on your gay lover
insulting, bummer. Live with it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be made
the subject of ridicule for being so rotten and fucking nasty as to waste
all my time putting up a mud for people to enjoy! God I must be a fucking
asshole! How dare I do something so rotten as try to make people happy!?!?
I sure deserved that ripping apart I got, I'll say. Well anyway, I said
I wouldn't come back into the conference, and after today I won't, I just
have one last independant posting to make before I leave for good, and it
regards to future of this kind of conference on the Internet.

In the meantime, I strongly advise you, and your faggot friend, to get a
fucking clue. You think other people don't have feelings? Our team worked
it's collective asses off to get done what we were able to in the short
time it's been since we've been up, and thanks to you, and yer little buddy
there, I have given up. I see no reason to want to continue to work on a
project to help scum such as yourself have a good time, you don't deserve
it, and quite frankly, I'm too good for the likes of you pal! You don't
deserve Medievia, and you sure as hell don't deserve an implementor with
my talents. Vryce won't quit, he doesn't care what you say, but you sure
as hell don't deserve him either. You're ungrateful, uncaring, ignorant
little fucking worms!

: -jeff

Steve Lumetta

May 4, 1993, 8:38:42 PM5/4/93
(Warning, includes counterflame garbage. You might find it funny, or
it might just make you yawn.)

In article <1s6lse$e...@netaxs.com> sp...@netaxs.com (Mike Smith) writes:
>I really don't care what you think Jeff,

Jeff didn't mail to you, he posted to the net. Your opinion is of no
consequence with regard to his ability to post.

> But I'll be damned if I'm going to be made
>the subject of ridicule

Fine, you're damned.

>have one last independant posting to make before I leave for good, and it

That would probably be good, since you seem to have nothing to offer the
net besides name-calling and braggadocio. Ironically, your attempt at
slurring my relationship with Jeff (we've never met in real life, just
talked on muds) was the same style of 'humor' you used in forcing my
character (and later denied). Amusing.

> I see no reason to want to continue to work on a
>project to help scum such as yourself have a good time, you don't deserve
>it, and quite frankly, I'm too good for the likes of you pal! You don't
>deserve Medievia, and you sure as hell don't deserve an implementor with
>my talents.

No, we don't deserve you. You're quite right.

> You're ungrateful, uncaring, ignorant

Yes, very ungrateful. Uncaring, too. And, lawks, I couldn't even find
my way through the first section of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner this
morning. Talk about ignorance!

--Steve

Jeffrey Stine

May 5, 1993, 5:35:49 AM5/5/93
In article <1s6lse$e...@netaxs.com> sp...@netaxs.com (Mike Smith) writes:
>all my time putting up a mud for people to enjoy! God I must be a fucking
>asshole!

You said it.

>I wouldn't come back into the conference, and after today I won't, I just
>have one last independant posting to make before I leave for good, and it

Hallelujah.

>In the meantime, I strongly advise you, and your faggot friend, to get a
>fucking clue. You think other people don't have feelings? Our team worked
>it's collective asses off to get done what we were able to in the short

Oh dear. You pathetic little shit. You don't think I didn't work for
OVER 2 YEARS on Adversary?! How dare you come here and cry about the
sacrifices you made. You didn't even begin to scratch the surface.
And if you would listen to a tiny bit of criticism from experienced
people, then maybe you could accomplish what I did in oh say.. only 1 year.

You toss what I did out the window overnight and slap up your pathetic
piece of code and then have the audacity to cry about your feelings.
You need an anema.

>time it's been since we've been up, and thanks to you, and yer little buddy
>there, I have given up. I see no reason to want to continue to work on a
>project to help scum such as yourself have a good time, you don't deserve

I was on your precious Medevia once, and only to speak with you and Vryce.
I wouldn't touch your mud with a ten foot pole, because there is no way
in hell I could have a good time at a place like that.

>it, and quite frankly, I'm too good for the likes of you pal! You don't
>deserve Medievia, and you sure as hell don't deserve an implementor with
>my talents.

Damn right, nobody deserves your talents as implemenetor (read as: has none).
Your were one for what? 2, 3 weeks? Try being one for 2 years. Try
starting out mudding to learn what people want and what makes a good mud.
I may have drawn some fire in the past for losing touch, but at least I
started out as a player.

> Vryce won't quit, he doesn't care what you say, but you sure

At least he seemed to have his sanity when I talked to him. I still
wish HIM luck. Now that he doesn't have your ball and chain, maybe
he can make a go of it.

>as hell don't deserve him either. You're ungrateful, uncaring, ignorant
>little fucking worms!

Oh yeah.. hell, not me. I don't care that you subverted my site or that
you insulted me by attempting to chastise me for something another person
did. No I don't care that you insulted a friend with vile language after
he tried to be helpful. Hell yes.. my intelligence pales compared to your
might. My god what a golden tongue you have. Twerp.

-jeff

Alan Krantz

May 5, 1993, 7:38:58 AM5/5/93
In article <1s6lse$e...@netaxs.com> sp...@netaxs.com (Mike Smith) writes:
>Jeffrey Stine (st...@handel.psu.edu) wrote:
>: In article <1993May2.0...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu> msmith@bigboy (Mike Smith) writes:
>: >
>: >this is to ste...@cory.Berkeley.edu.
>: > [ A great deal of name calling and trash talking deleted. ]
>: >Later on, simpelton!
>
>I really don't care what you think Jeff, Steve's post, and the posts that
>followed it were blatent flames, and were uncalled for beyond belief. Every
>issue he brought up that had any validity, had been fixed within a day. So
>he was never anyone who frequented the mud. He is a trouble maker, and that
>is all there is to it. If you find my personal attacks on your gay lover
>insulting, bummer. Live with it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be made
>the subject of ridicule for being so rotten and fucking nasty as to waste
>all my time putting up a mud for people to enjoy! God I must be a fucking
>asshole! How dare I do something so rotten as try to make people happy!?!?
>I sure deserved that ripping apart I got, I'll say. Well anyway, I said
>I wouldn't come back into the conference, and after today I won't, I just
>have one last independant posting to make before I leave for good, and it
>regards to future of this kind of conference on the Internet.

As an independent observer (you might not take me as one though) - I saw
nothing 'flamish' about Steve's posting. He pointed out 'features' he
didn't like (as of the day he made his post). He was in no positiion to
say how things would change. I will admit that the followup posting by
the fellow in Washinton was a flame - but don't confuse his posting with
Steve's.

Anyways, You will find that no matter how well the mud is run some
people will be critical of your work. Often running a mud will have few
rewards (in terms of people acknowledging a job well done) with many
people complaining. I suggest that if you can't hack the complaints
(much less the flames) then you give it up since you will be fighting a
loosing battle.

atk

Greg Domeno

May 5, 1993, 8:38:22 AM5/5/93
In article <1s6lse$e...@netaxs.com> sp...@netaxs.com (Mike Smith) writes:
>he was never anyone who frequented the mud. He is a trouble maker, and that
>is all there is to it. If you find my personal attacks on your gay lover
>insulting, bummer. Live with it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be made
I truely find myself becoming embarassed for you as I read this tripe.
Evidently you dont appreciate how juvenile it makes you look; of the
unfavorable light it casts on what is evidently a low and vicious
character.

>the subject of ridicule for being so rotten and fucking nasty as to waste
>all my time putting up a mud for people to enjoy! God I must be a fucking
>asshole! How dare I do something so rotten as try to make people happy!?!?

You were not the subject of ridicule then, though you certainly are now.
Your mud received some criticism but that is to be expected. That is
how anything in life improves, not just muds. I suppose you could even
look at evolution that way.

Did you really do it to make people happy? I find that hard to believe.
That someone would make such a fatuous statement I find nearly as hard
to believe. If that it why you put it up then why are you getting so
angry? Its for making people happy right? Not for the gratification of
you ego? Not for some pathetic little power trip suitable for a
miniscule mind? It just seems to me that if the mud was an expression
of a deep and abiding need to make people happy then you would not cease
in this important task because someone said that your efforts were less
than perfect.

>I wouldn't come back into the conference, and after today I won't, I just
>have one last independant posting to make before I leave for good, and it
>regards to future of this kind of conference on the Internet.

Gonna pick up your marbles and go home eh? Were you an only child,
accustomed to nothing but absolute doting affection from all the people
around you? The kids don't want to play your game so you are leaving.
I am sure that I, and all the other kids in the sandbox, will survive
the shock of your departure.

>In the meantime, I strongly advise you, and your faggot friend, to get a
>fucking clue. You think other people don't have feelings? Our team worked
>it's collective asses off to get done what we were able to in the short
>time it's been since we've been up, and thanks to you, and yer little buddy
>there, I have given up. I see no reason to want to continue to work on a

If this is your attitude then there is no need to flame you; life will
flame you better than all of us ever could.

>my talents. Vryce won't quit, he doesn't care what you say, but you sure

He is more of a man than you are evidently.
'Course, that's not much of a complement given the comparison.

>: -jeff
>
>: "He who restrains his words has knowledge,
>: and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding."
>: -Proverbs 17.27

Cute quote, Jeff. :)

This has been the gospel according to the Buckaroo.