Banned from EPIC

Rick Socia

Aug 25, 1992, 2:42:12 PM8/25/92
I too have had problems with the DeathAngel character. This person is no
sportsman at all, is very vulgar, and obnoxious to the extreme. He has gotten
so bad I do not want to be on when he is on. I used to like Epic for it's
pleasant atmosphere. Now there is nothing but fear and paranoia, or raw
nerves from the arrogance from this and other players. I will make immort soon,
and when I do, I am gone from Epic FOREVER! (unless the imp/creator comes to
his senses first).

--

(peace loving among players, feared by orcs)

Danny Brumleve

Aug 25, 1992, 7:56:06 PM8/25/92
p_la...@oz.plymouth.edu (Phil W. Lawrence) writes:

>Well..I guess this is my farewell address to EPIC. I was banned from
>the mud for actually giving a $hit about what happened there. A
>certain player there, who goes by the name of DeathAngel, is a friend
>of the creator and an implementor. Because of this friendship he
>feels he can do anything he wishes, say anything he wishes, be whoever
>he wishes. He was a constant annoyance to myself and many of the
>other players there. I repeatedly asked him to control his
>language and did everything in my power to stop him legally..BTW..I
>was a level 22 god who doesn't believe in player killing..but I felt
>this was a good time to exercise the powers i had. He was being his
>normal obnoxious self for a few hours, useing extremely vulgar
>language to many players, especially some of the women. He decided to
>summon and kill one player after i had asked that there be no player
>killing while i was running the quest. I was extremely sick of his
>attitude, as were many others. I went to him, fireballed him multiple times
>(about 40 times), and purged his corpse. He then cried to an
>implementor , who happened to live in the apartment right below him.
>The implementor, who didn't really like me in the first place, yelled
>at me for a short period and then nuked my character. Oh well...I
>feel no remorse for my actions and the results of them. The only
>reason i am posting this is to let the people involved know my side of
>the story and to let all of you potential Epic newbies know what you
>may encounter if you decide to play there.

*yawn*

I imagine most of this is total BS (although I'm not involved in
the situation). When Phil here was on Armageddon (well, he still comes
back occaisionally to shout something snide at me using yet another alias),
he repeatedly begged me to let him have another level. Each time I
refused, because he hadn't done any work on his zone and I don't like
to put up with that kind of crap anyway. Around the 20th time he asked
me for a level, he went beserk and started doing shit like "force all quit"
(repeatedly) and loading the one npc he had created a few billion times
into the room where I was standing. He then preceded to yell insults at
me, after which I promptly zorched him. Then he took it upon himself
to MAIL BOMB my account with about 20 megabytes of crap, and later
made up stories rather similar to the one posted here. As far as
I'm concerned, this is pure crap.

>Thenndrax, Ex-God of EPIC
>(still a god many other places tho) :)

Not Armageddon.

-Jhalavar-

AARON SCHINDLER

Aug 25, 1992, 9:20:55 PM8/25/92
[deleted: Thendrax's story about how DeathAngel is ruining Epic and how he
lost his immortal on Epic.]

>*yawn*
>
> I imagine most of this is total BS (although I'm not involved in
>the situation). When Phil here was on Armageddon (well, he still comes
>back occaisionally to shout something snide at me using yet another alias),
>he repeatedly begged me to let him have another level. Each time I
>refused, because he hadn't done any work on his zone and I don't like
>to put up with that kind of crap anyway. Around the 20th time he asked
>me for a level, he went beserk and started doing shit like "force all quit"
>(repeatedly) and loading the one npc he had created a few billion times
>into the room where I was standing. He then preceded to yell insults at
>me, after which I promptly zorched him. Then he took it upon himself
>to MAIL BOMB my account with about 20 megabytes of crap, and later
>made up stories rather similar to the one posted here. As far as
>I'm concerned, this is pure crap.
>
>>Thenndrax, Ex-God of EPIC
>>(still a god many other places tho) :)
>

>-Jhalavar-

Jhalavar, I don't understand why you even posted. As you say, you are not
involved with Thenndrax's situation, so who are you to comment whether his
story is bs?

I wasn't there when Thenndrax got purged, but I believe Thenndrax's story.
Thenndrax wasn't always such a good immortal because he was a push over for
helping out mortals. Sometimes I thought he interfered too much. But
he was a nice guy and I would much rather have ten Thenndraxes around than
one harassing DeathAngel. I don't mind the harassing much cuz I've seen it
a lot, but the problem is that Deathangel is one of the highest level
characters on Epic and he is a pkiller. There is just no way to get back
at him. Although at least he doesn't have to call me a b*tch while he is
killing me. *sigh*

Mista

Robert L. Thomas

Aug 25, 1992, 9:55:22 PM8/25/92

I believe that Jhalavar posted to make a character reference. After all
if one person decides to flame epic, then he opens himself up to all
flames. Since no one uses rec.games.mud.diku he might as well post it. :)

Powermonger God on Armegeddon
(But not many other places)

Danny Brumleve

Aug 26, 1992, 2:40:10 AM8/26/92
schi...@csa1.lbl.gov (AARON SCHINDLER) writes:

>[deleted: Thendrax's story about how DeathAngel is ruining Epic and how he
>lost his immortal on Epic.]

>Jhalavar, I don't understand why you even posted. As you say, you are not

>involved with Thenndrax's situation, so who are you to comment whether his
>story is bs?

>I wasn't there when Thenndrax got purged, but I believe Thenndrax's story.
>Thenndrax wasn't always such a good immortal because he was a push over for
>helping out mortals. Sometimes I thought he interfered too much. But
>he was a nice guy and I would much rather have ten Thenndraxes around than
>one harassing DeathAngel. I don't mind the harassing much cuz I've seen it
>a lot, but the problem is that Deathangel is one of the highest level
>characters on Epic and he is a pkiller. There is just no way to get back
>at him. Although at least he doesn't have to call me a b*tch while he is
>killing me. *sigh*

I posted because I know some people at Epic, and wanted to protect
their reputation from being destroyed by this guy, since he has similarily
tried to destroy mine and I seriously doubt his honesty. I suppose I spent
more time venting my anger at him than discussing the situation, but I felt
it needed to be said.

Wendell G. Wren

Aug 26, 1992, 2:13:29 AM8/26/92
Is that why he got away with so much...? I thought it was just because
he was careful only to be a jerk when there was no one around who could
do anything about him... or even sign the character in unless this was
the case... marvelous... makes a person have second thoughts about
trying out the "new improved" version when they decide to bring it up.

Wendell G. Wren
Wen...@Maine.Maine.Edu
02:16:23 Wednesday, 26 Aug 1992

Alan Krantz

Aug 26, 1992, 11:49:10 AM8/26/92
In article <92239.021...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> Wendell G. Wren <WEN...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> writes:
>Is that why he got away with so much...? I thought it was just because
>he was careful only to be a jerk when there was no one around who could

Well, the problem with Deathangel is that he's a friend of an imp and so
he's been given a god ship there. Also, though i don't know this for a
fact, i think his character was beefed up a little. This is the first
time he has ever played a mud and he managed to get over 500 hp at mid
level (around 50 total). While i believe that the owners of the mud are
at liberty to do as they please (after all it's their product and we
aren't forced to use it) i think they should adpopt some sort of
standard conduct of play. Anyways i suspect that Primus has decided to
take Epic down because of this incident - though i would have liked to
have seen him make DeathAngel start over with 'nautral' stats and
removed DeathAngel god character. Then again this might have been
politically difficult for Primus seeing that DeathAngel is his
roommate. Aw politics - don't you love them. Oh well - as you said I'm
not overly eager to see the new epic if this sort of conduct is going to
be routine...

atk

Christopher R. Boggs

Aug 26, 1992, 1:35:34 PM8/26/92
In article <BtKIo...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> rlt2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert L. Thomas) writes:
> Since no one uses rec.games.mud.diku he might as well post it. :)

Do I qualify as a NOONE? Gee....I hope so.

-Balstaff, Lesser Highlord at Armageddon
-Balstaff, Overseer at Arctic
-Chris, Immortal at Adversary and Apocalypse II

--
[]==========================================================================[]
| Christopher R. Boggs, MGT Major, Georgia Institute of Technology, Senior |

akh...@cs.concordia.ca

Aug 27, 1992, 12:44:25 AM8/27/92

My sympathies to you, Thenndrax, and as a brief note to those of you
who dont know Thenndrax, and/or Epic... I thought I'd throw in my two cents
worth.
I used to play on Epic too, and I remember Thenn as an honest and decent
person (one of the good-guys, basically) :)... I left Epic for roughly the
same reasons. Because the people who run the mud are ill-mannered, uncaring
and generally disrespectful to their players. Not all the Epic gods are like
this, but enough of them to make it a hellish place to be. That's why I left
after their first big "purge" and refuse to go back. Oh, and FYI, I was an
immortal there too, so I got to witness some of the politicking and general
nastyness that went on... it's nothing new.

Lomion, Son of Twilight

(nothing to do with the ex-Implementor of the mud, Twilight)

Wendell G. Wren

Aug 27, 1992, 1:16:01 AM8/27/92
>*yawn*
>
> I imagine most of this is total BS (although I'm not involved in
I couldn't say who, but *someone* has been a truly obnoxious twerp
and claiming he didn't care who knew... he also claimed his "real"
character was DeathAngel... whether he claims such because he/she
does feel safe because he has "protection" or if someone was trying
to get DeathAngel in a bad spot, I couldn't say... I'm just a poor
black child... ooops sorry... you get the picture.

>the situation). When Phil here was on Armageddon (well, he still comes
>back occaisionally to shout something snide at me using yet another alias),
>he repeatedly begged me to let him have another level. Each time I
>refused, because he hadn't done any work on his zone and I don't like
>to put up with that kind of crap anyway. Around the 20th time he asked
>me for a level, he went beserk and started doing shit like "force all quit"
>(repeatedly) and loading the one npc he had created a few billion times
this is similar to what this other guy is doing, except no god-like
abilities involved... straight abuses of TELL, GOSSIP, SHOUT/YELL
filling screens of whoever happens to be around, no one selected for
special abuse that I heard about.

>into the room where I was standing. He then preceded to yell insults at
>me, after which I promptly zorched him. Then he took it upon himself
>to MAIL BOMB my account with about 20 megabytes of crap, and later
>made up stories rather similar to the one posted here. As far as
>I'm concerned, this is pure crap.
so, no, this *isn't* pure crap... only problem is, who is doing it?
the accused? the accuser? someone else entirely who's laughing his
ass off cause the blame is falling everywhere else?

>>Thenndrax, Ex-God of EPIC
>>(still a god many other places tho) :)
>
>Not Armageddon.
>
>-Jhalavar-
Later folks

Wendell G. Wren
Wen...@Maine.Maine.Edu
01:31:41 Thursday, 27 Aug 1992
whose mud character(s) will not be posted cause I don't want any
special attention :)

Pat Steward

Aug 27, 1992, 9:48:37 AM8/27/92
In article <48...@daily-planet.concordia.ca> akh...@cs.concordia.ca writes:

> My sympathies to you, Thenndrax, and as a brief note to those of you
>who dont know Thenndrax, and/or Epic... I thought I'd throw in my two cents
>worth.
> I used to play on Epic too, and I remember Thenn as an honest and decent
>person (one of the good-guys, basically) :)...

It's my understanding that the Thenndrax who recently posted about
being banned from EPIC is *NOT* the original Thenndrax. He borrowed
the name when the test version came up, much to the surprise of the
original Thenndrax, who, being "one of the good-guys", didn't make a
big fuss about it.
--
Pat Martin Steward pat...@oz.plymouth.edu
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is;

Pop Life

Aug 27, 1992, 11:50:50 PM8/27/92
> My sympathies to you, Thenndrax, and as a brief note to those of you
>who dont know Thenndrax, and/or Epic...
>
> Lomion, Son of Twilight
>
>(nothing to do with the ex-Implementor of the mud, Twilight)

I too also knew Thenndrax to be an honest and decent person. I also
know that Epic has purged their player file at least 4 times that I know
of and lost many people in doing so. I also know that there have been
many complaints about how the Imps were maintaining Epic, and how some
of the GODS were doing their thing(s). Not all Imps, not all Gods
were ill-mannered, uncaring and disrespectful, but some were...and
it made it a hellish place to play at times.

I hope they have scorched these immortals and get with the program.
For if so, as I always said, Epic will be super.

-Meliere

BES...@psuvm.psu.edu

Aug 27, 1992, 10:06:12 PM8/27/92
Being that I have seen no one from the upper levels of the game take
the time to do any sort of responce to this as of yet, I'll take it on my
shoulders ( there getting bigger.. oof ) to try and pull some of this
together.
Yes, DeathAngel was a bit out of hand. I know that much, but as was
stated in previous posts, he was also a good friend of an imp. No, thats
still no reason to be a rampaging bull in a china shop, but it does put
a few restrictions upon other gods etc.. from repremanding him.
Unfortunately, I was not available for two weeks in there previous to the
recent shutdown ( was actually just logging in when it went kaboom ) so
I couldn't do anything about DA's actions till then. Before my absence, he
was certainly rude, obnoxious, and quite a pain to other players, but I had
yet to see him kill another. Much must have happened in those brief two
weeks I was away...
Now the 'new' version will be arriving and I don't even know where
I'll be standing, let alone where everyone else will be. Most of the pfile
will probably be purged ( yes, again... ) and this will hopefully be the
final time. Once the Creators start returning mail and letting us know whats
going on Epic should return to a more normal ( normal? ) mud, with is usual
twists to keep it different from other dikus.
I personally hope that Thenn's attack on an otherwise good mud ( ALL muds
have a few sour grapes ) won't discourage too many from playing Epic. You
folx can judge for yourself. When its up, come take a look ( inc me.. I
don't know what to expext either ) and decide for yourself.

Hope to see most of the old croud and lots of new people there for the opening
and following days to come :)

Coalfax Darkhorse ( of the Eternal Voyage )

Danny Brumleve

Aug 28, 1992, 4:24:07 PM8/28/92

Ok, I see your point, I guess. The experience I had with Thenndrax was
exactly as I described it, and what he posted about "bad gods" on Epic
is remarkably similar to the insults he spouts about me. I suppose I
was wrong about defending DeathAngel (whom I've never even heard of before),
judging from all the posts complaining of similar experiences with him, and
the lack of posts from Epic people explaining the situation. This is
*not* an apology to Thenndrax for mail bombing me and all that jazz,
which I would have got around to posting about anyway. I *do* however
apologize for misjuding his statements regarding DeathAngel, whom
other people have also recently posted against.

-Jhalavar-
(who posts his MUD characters because his *likes* getting flamed ;) )

Rick Socia

Aug 28, 1992, 7:12:26 PM8/28/92
In article <92240.220...@psuvm.psu.edu>, <BES...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
|> I personally hope that Thenn's attack on an otherwise good mud ( ALL muds
|> have a few sour grapes ) won't discourage too many from playing Epic. You
|> folx can judge for yourself.

Now call me stupid here, but this thread has had all but tow (including the one
mentioned above) reflect negatively on Epic. This is not entirely a case of sour
grapes. There has to be substance to these allegations.

Epic was only the second MUD I have ever played, actually the first bucause the
first was a play test. DA was everything the others described him to be. I got
tired of listening to him, so I got in the habbit of leaving gossip off. But
he was apparently trying to goad me on gossip one night and I was not responding,
(because I like to keep it off) and he took this real personal. So when I was
getting close to immort, he told me (via TELL) he was going to use me as a warm
up for Grum (the top non immort in the game). This was happening at a time that
pkilling was becoming vogue (the thing to do). So I would only play when he was
not there. I was terrorized, the fun gone, and living in fear. The ONLY reason
I continued was to try to win the big prize, immortality.

And as an aside, for a guy who spent most of his time using gossip, auction,
shout and yell to insult the female players, and brag about the size of his
manhood, he gained a lot of xp real fast! and good equip. Kinda curious isn't
it. Hmmmm!

I like Primus a lot. He is a really cool guy. I want to play epic again. But
Primus if you ever get to read this, you gotta not show that jerk any favoritism,
(assuming you have been - I cannot prove yu did) and ban him from you wonderful
MUD. Others wise, all you good work will be for naught.

joel braden wood

Aug 28, 1992, 10:54:31 PM8/28/92
In article <BtKv...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> brumleve@hermes (Danny Brumleve) writes:
>schi...@csa1.lbl.gov (AARON SCHINDLER) writes:
>
>>[deleted: Thendrax's story about how DeathAngel is ruining Epic and how he
>>lost his immortal on Epic.
>
>>I wasn't there when Thenndrax got purged, but I believe Thenndrax's story.
>>Thenndrax wasn't always such a good immortal because he was a push over for
>>helping out mortals. Sometimes I thought he interfered too much. But
>>he was a nice guy and I would much rather have ten Thenndraxes around than
>>one harassing DeathAngel. I don't mind the harassing much cuz I've seen it
>>a lot, but the problem is that Deathangel is one of the highest level
>>characters on Epic and he is a pkiller. There is just no way to get back
>>at him. Although at least he doesn't have to call me a b*tch while he is
>>killing me. *sigh*
>
> I posted because I know some people at Epic, and wanted to protect
>their reputation from being destroyed by this guy, since he has similarily
>tried to destroy mine and I seriously doubt his honesty. I suppose I spent
>more time venting my anger at him than discussing the situation, but I felt
>it needed to be said.

But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and realize
that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.

Robert L. Thomas

Aug 29, 1992, 1:31:07 AM8/29/92

Chuckle as far as I know Jhal has not killed people over and over on armegeddon.I DO know a god who has done this there, but it anit Jhalavar its DM. I know
that Jhal did try to kill a few 20's with a level 11, including my mortal.
He failed both times, and I fryed him to a light brown. Jhalavar #o has
prob the best code I have seen on a diku, and so far I have seen him treat
everyone fairly. He has earned my respect as a player and an Imm so what if
I am almost twice his age :).

Powermonger

Dan Brumleve

Aug 30, 1992, 2:21:01 PM8/30/92
jw...@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (joel braden wood) writes:

> But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
>play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
>slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and realize
>that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.

That I'm 14 is irrelevant to the situation. To insult me on the basis of
my age doesn't seem very mature either, does it to you?

A god killing characters over and over again: Let me see... I've occasionally
done that before. A few people from csupomona logged on as a few hundred
obscene names and shouted out insults at me... I killed them, do you
blame me for that? What are you referring to particuarily? I'd be
glad to explain.

Dan Brumleve

Aug 30, 1992, 2:24:30 PM8/30/92
rlt2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert L. Thomas) writes:

>Powermonger

Oh yes, I *do* do this occaisionally (and failed that time). I haven't played
any mortals in a while though (and when I do I try to role-play that class
and race... Powermonger was referring to a rather psychotic elven illusionist).
When I play a mortal I'm just as likely to do something nice. *shrug*

Dan Brumleve

Aug 30, 1992, 2:28:49 PM8/30/92
jw...@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (joel braden wood) writes:

> But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
>play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
>slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and realize
>that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.

Heh... It just occured to me that you're probably referring to immortal
switching. People who do this DO role-play correctly the majority of
the time. Also, having particular views on a topic such as immortal
switching doesn't exactl qualify me as having "questionable character",
does it? Armageddon players are about equally divided over it, and
all the immortals are in favor of it, so I'm going to allow it. If
you don't like it, don't play. Armageddon is for people who are
interested in role-playing seriously, not waltzing into an area
and murdering the inhabitnats for their equipment.

Wraith

Aug 31, 1992, 12:07:11 PM8/31/92
gt9...@prism.gatech.EDU (Christopher R. Boggs) writes:

>In article <BtKIo...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> rlt2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert L. Thomas) writes:
> > Since no one uses rec.games.mud.diku he might as well post it. :)

> Do I qualify as a NOONE? Gee....I hope so.

>-Balstaff, Lesser Highlord at Armageddon

Armageddon is still in betatesting and therefore doesn't really count, eh?

>-Balstaff, Overseer at Arctic

Arctic is still in betatesting (if it even works ... *chuckle* I have much more
respect for Gothmog's work on Armageddon) and therefore doesn't really count,
eh?

>-Chris, Immortal at Adversary and Apocalypse II

Apocalypse II is a cheesey clone of Adversary's older version, so it's not
surprising you have an immortal there. Adversary itself hasn't been up too
much of late (probably machine problems). Even if it were up, we'd try to
pretend you're nobody.

You are loud, obnoxious and occasionally quite stupid (there are people I know
who will probably tell me I'm being too kind). I didn't read the precursor to
this article, our braindead spooler probably hasn't gotten it yet anyway. The
point being that I've only ever seen you post one sort of article. The sort of
article that attempts to dominate fellow netters by spewing gunk about what a
wonderful and awesome person you are. If you need these kinds of postings it
is rather obvious to me that you need them to reinforce your own insecurities.
Nobody avoids making a fool out of themselves or making mistakes ... the most
we can hope for is to _avoid_ making them publically.
This response is public because I've watched you do this again and again.
I couldn't count the vast number of times I or another with me has mentioned
that yet another brag posting from Chris has appeared. Frankly, I want them to
know that I finally decided to be mean enough to just say what I think needed
to be said.
- DeathDealer of Adversary
Aktariel of Silly

| bai...@rigel.cs.pdx.edu | "The bomb lives only as it is falling." from |
| o--[=====- % @>-^-v---- | _Use of Weapons_ by Iain M. Banks |

Christopher R. Boggs

Aug 31, 1992, 1:52:27 PM8/31/92
In article <60...@pdxgate.UUCP> bai...@rigel.cs.pdx.edu (Wraith) writes:
>gt9...@prism.gatech.EDU (Christopher R. Boggs) writes:
>
>>In article <BtKIo...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> rlt2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert L. Thomas) writes:
>
>Apocalypse II is a cheesey clone of Adversary's older version, so it's not
>surprising you have an immortal there. Adversary itself hasn't been up too
>much of late (probably machine problems). Even if it were up, we'd try to
>pretend you're nobody.

Apoc II is far from an Adversary clone. Sure it had Adversary as base code
but if you took the time to check it out and play a bit, you might discover
this. I played Adversary for quite some time.....Apocalypse II doesn't smell
the same. I guess its the lack of overbearing Demi-Gods trying to act like
Imps. Upon reflection, I now think it was a dew of the Demi-Gods who pissed
me off the most. Abaddon always had the self-control to simply trash me and
move on. DeathDealer, Have you imprisoned any players lately for any comments
on lame titles you set? Just curious. Next time, make sure they even know you
set the title they joked about before transing them and forcing them into the
prison.

>is rather obvious to me that you need them to reinforce your own insecurities.
>Nobody avoids making a fool out of themselves or making mistakes ... the most
>we can hope for is to _avoid_ making them publically.

The post you took offense to was over a week old and was a weak effort at
humor. Actually, it was my first post in quite some time. I've been trying to
reduce my "asshole-image" ya know. You want to take over the job? You seem to
have what it takes.

>I couldn't count the vast number of times I or another with me has mentioned
>that yet another brag posting from Chris has appeared.

Yet again, I admit I went overboard at one point. I was excited about
creating. I was excited about new code in dikus. I was excited because I
think Arctic will be successful.
Yet again, It has been quite some time since I have posted anything about
Arctic, other than a few "site-needed" posts. I realized that people get tired
of repetitive posts of any kind.
Yet again, A simple harmless post from me, that was not soliciting a
response has gotten a barnfire started. Deathdealer, We know we don't like
each other, why else would you post this, But do you really want to fan the
flames? It won't be the first time I've dealt with morons dictating my actions
and feelings to me. I won't lose any sleep.

> - DeathDealer of Adversary
> Aktariel of Silly

How'd I guess it was you DD? Deja Vu I guess.

-Chris.......Needs new asbestos undies. His current ones are worn out.

>| bai...@rigel.cs.pdx.edu | "The bomb lives only as it is falling." from |
>| o--[=====- % @>-^-v---- | _Use of Weapons_ by Iain M. Banks |

Phil W. Lawrence

Aug 31, 1992, 3:14:43 PM8/31/92

I don't know....kinda sounds like what Deathangel was up to?(Minus the obscene
name of couurse)..Isn't that called unnecessary immortal interference?
You claim that your mud is strictly roleplaying...isn't it possibe
that one could have a name like that? Or that one could shout insults
to the gods? I don't know...why don't ya tell us what you think Jhal..

Thenndrax..

Robert L. Thomas

Sep 1, 1992, 5:11:14 AM9/1/92

Of course one could shout insults to the gods, but since diku gods are real
you would get fried like you did.

Powermonger who did'nt feel like posting but had to after that pityful post.

Dan Brumleve

Sep 1, 1992, 12:34:58 PM9/1/92
p_la...@oz.plymouth.edu (Phil W. Lawrence) writes:
>>A god killing characters over and over again: Let me see... I've occasionally
>>done that before. A few people from csupomona logged on as a few hundred
>>obscene names and shouted out insults at me... I killed them, do you
>>blame me for that? What are you referring to particuarily? I'd be
>>glad to explain.

>I don't know....kinda sounds like what Deathangel was up to?(Minus the obscene
>name of couurse)..Isn't that called unnecessary immortal interference?
>You claim that your mud is strictly roleplaying...isn't it possibe
>that one could have a name like that? Or that one could shout insults
>to the gods? I don't know...why don't ya tell us what you think Jhal..
>Thenndrax..

It *IS* strictly role-playing. I don't think I explained the whole
situation. These people logged on with names like "JhalavarSucks",
"FuckYouJhalavar", and then shouted things like:

"THIS MUD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

again and again and again (the MUD was unplayable for anyone who didn't have
NOSHOUT and QUIET for about an hour). I had to shutdown the MUD and
write site-ban code.

They were interfering with everyone else's enjoyment of the MUD. Do you
think they have a right to do that?

Besides, it turned out that the person who accused me of "multiple killing
of mortals by gods" was referring to my immortal switching policy (and I've
exchanged a few more friendly letters with him since).

Pop Life

Sep 1, 1992, 8:34:04 PM9/1/92
>That I'm 14 is irrelevant to the situation. To insult me on the basis of
>my age doesn't seem very mature either, does it to you?
>
>A god killing characters over and over again: Let me see... I've occasionally
>done that before. A few people from csupomona logged on as a few hundred
>obscene names and shouted out insults at me... I killed them, do you
>blame me for that? What are you referring to particuarily? I'd be
>glad to explain.

I will be the first one but not the only one to stick up for Jhalavar,
who may be 14...but is very mature for his age. In fact, he is more
mature than some older mudders. Let's NOT knock him for his age...
he can hold his own.

And I might as well add that this is beginning to sound like a bashing
party..let's try not to go full out bashing each other.

-Meliere

Christopher R. Boggs

Sep 1, 1992, 10:20:41 PM9/1/92
In article <27...@life.ai.mit.edu> v...@hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Pop Life) writes:
>I will be the first one but not the only one to stick up for Jhalavar,
>who may be 14...but is very mature for his age. In fact, he is more
>mature than some older mudders. Let's NOT knock him for his age...
>he can hold his own.
>
>And I might as well add that this is beginning to sound like a bashing
>party..let's try not to go full out bashing each other.
>
>-Meliere

I agree whole-heartedly. Jhalavar may be only 14, but in the last 7-8
months I have worked with him on Arctic and during the time I have been on
Armageddon, I am repeatedly impressed. He has an enthusiasm and desire for
code that I have not seen ANYWHERE else. When you mention a bug or problem,
it is fixxed immediately or the next chance he gets. Add to this, a basic
uniqueness in his code, and I consider him the foremost Diku coder around.
His love of the game seems to make him tackle projects most "mature" coders
would run from. He did Online Creation, Linked multiple Dikus, totally redid
the diku combat system, and did more special procedures and commands that I
myself have had time to play with.

In a "reality" where we judge each other by accomplishments and apparent
attitudes rather than a full view of one's personality, Jhalavar is head and
shoulders above the majority of people I have seen involved with mudding.

I consider him very much my superior, So what if I am almost 22.

-Chris aka Balstaff/Skurge/Kargen/NiteBreed

The Eternal One

Curtis Regentin

Sep 2, 1992, 6:15:08 PM9/2/92
Hehe, Nice plug ;)
Yeah, it's a good mud, every mud has bad day/weeks, no reason to not
play it, though I REALLY wish that the people in charge would leave a
sign up, or post as to what the plan is until the new code comes up.
I'd really like to finish what I started, yah know? ;)

Grum the Epic Adict

ken...@ducvax.auburn.edu

Sep 2, 1992, 4:21:54 AM9/2/92
In article <Btt6z...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, brumleve@hermes (Dan Brumleve) writes:
> jw...@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (joel braden wood) writes:
>
>> But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
>>play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
>>slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and realize
>>that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.
>
> That I'm 14 is irrelevant to the situation. To insult me on the basis of
> my age doesn't seem very mature either, does it to you?

How is this irrelevant? You're 14 years old, as you admitted. The poster did
not insult you on the basis of your age. He simply stated it and told you to
mature. There are people that I know that are younger than you are and might
possibly be more mature. There are adults I know who couldn't POSSIBLY be more
mature than you, based soley on my knowledge of them and what you have posted.

> A god killing characters over and over again: Let me see... I've occasionally
> done that before. A few people from csupomona logged on as a few hundred
> obscene names and shouted out insults at me... I killed them, do you
> blame me for that? What are you referring to particuarily? I'd be
> glad to explain.

You could possibly set up a file that automatically rejects obscene names,
for one. You could make the computer delete obscene words (ie. like words
that one can't say on the radio) if shouted. However, speaking of MATURITY,
why didn't you just talk to them?

If a "ruler" just went off and killed his/her "subjects" just because this
ruler didn't like what they were saying about him/her, this ruler would be
labeled a tyrant, and rightly so. So, he's right. Kiddo, GROW UP!

Ken

Dan Brumleve

Sep 2, 1992, 10:04:43 PM9/2/92
ken...@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>In article <Btt6z...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, brumleve@hermes (Dan Brumleve) writes:
>> jw...@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (joel braden wood) writes:
>>
>>> But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
>>>play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
>>>slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and realize
>>>that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.
>>
>> That I'm 14 is irrelevant to the situation. To insult me on the basis of
>> my age doesn't seem very mature either, does it to you?

>How is this irrelevant? You're 14 years old, as you admitted. The poster did
>not insult you on the basis of your age. He simply stated it and told you to
>mature.

"Calm down, mature" is an accusation of being immature, and I most
certainly consider it an insult.

>> A god killing characters over and over again: Let me see... I've occasionally
>> done that before. A few people from csupomona logged on as a few hundred
>> obscene names and shouted out insults at me... I killed them, do you
>> blame me for that? What are you referring to particuarily? I'd be
>> glad to explain.

>You could possibly set up a file that automatically rejects obscene names,
>for one. You could make the computer delete obscene words (ie. like words
>that one can't say on the radio) if shouted. However, speaking of MATURITY,
>why didn't you just talk to them?

This event occured a long time ago, and since then I *have* done such.
Speaking of maturity, I *did* talk to them, rather politely in fact. They
told me to fuck off, and continued to harrass creators on the MUD for the
next hour or so, and created around 150 characters during that period.

>If a "ruler" just went off and killed his/her "subjects" just because this
>ruler didn't like what they were saying about him/her, this ruler would be
>labeled a tyrant, and rightly so. So, he's right. Kiddo, GROW UP!

Exqueez me. They weren't starting an argument with me, they were repeatedly
hitting macros like "shout FUCK YOU JHALAVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". The
game was UNPLAYABLE for an hour or so, and if you had bothered to read the
other articles I wrote pertaining to this incident you would have known that.

-Jhalavar-

Wraith

Sep 8, 1992, 8:31:20 PM9/8/92
p_la...@oz.plymouth.edu (Phil W. Lawrence) writes:

>In article <Btt6z...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> brumleve@hermes (Dan Brumleve) writes:
>>jw...@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (joel braden wood) writes:

>>> But you have questionable character also, jhalavar. Trying to role-
>>>play is one thing, but a god killing characters over and over again is
>>>slightly overboard. Calm down, mature (I've heard your only 14.), and
>>>realize that most people playing on your mud don't like fighting gods.

>>That I'm 14 is irrelevant to the situation. To insult me on the basis of
>>my age doesn't seem very mature either, does it to you?

[ ... Jhalavar's reply as to why he killed some people removed ... ]

>I don't know....kinda sounds like what Deathangel was up to?(Minus the obscene
>name of couurse)..Isn't that called unnecessary immortal interference?
>You claim that your mud is strictly roleplaying...isn't it possibe
>that one could have a name like that? Or that one could shout insults
>to the gods? I don't know...why don't ya tell us what you think Jhal..

Give me a break. There is only one reasonable facility for a god to occupy.
That facility is to monitor and maintain those things which are out of the
realm of things that the server can maintain. Your namby pamby bit about
strictly roleplaying is just an attempt to confuse the issue. I'd say any
god who didn't reply appropriately to the use of obscene names, etc., was
simply asking for it to be used against him/her.
I mean, your own argument defeats itself. If a mortal can shout insults
to the gods, why can't the gods kill the mortals? Inteference? Nay, they're
just playing their roles as gods. There's a bit of difference between having
both the cause and right to do something and having neither. Jhalavar runs
his mud, he certainly has the right to say which names are acceptable.
Repeatedly violating his definition of acceptable is certainly just cause for
killing them off. *shrug*
As for Jhalavar being 14 ... well, it makes little difference if he acts
more mature than 90% of older rec.games.mud.* posters.