The pk List

Dimitri J. Langston-Wiebe

Dec 28, 1993, 9:30:41 AM12/28/93

THE | To have a new mud put on the list, have an
/----\ |/ Dim...@Krypton.Mankato.msus.edu
|----/ | \ Feel free to send any corrections or
| recomendations about curently listed muds to
| LIST me, and I will do my best to improve the list.

Notes on the list itself:

The 'pk meter' is a number from 1 ('We hate pk, but some scum of the earth
do it anyway') to 10 ('pk or die').

The 'difficulty' is a number from 1 ('On my first day, I immorted') to
10 ('Nobody has ever gotten past first level'). This number is supposed to
reflect the difficulty 'absent pk'.

I feel the rest is fairly self-explanatory. *smile*

********************
Aardvark
129.215.72.112 65000

pk meter: 10
difficulty: 5-6
base code: Merc
exp for pk: None as of yet, but will become profitable in future.
quotation: 'Die, scum!'

********************
AnotherMUD
bubba.clark.net 4000
198.17.243.6 4000

pk meter: 5 'You have the option to be in or out via a no-kill flag.'
difficulty: 4-10 'Easy to start.... hard later on.'
Base code: Gamma
exp for pk: no
quotation: 'I fear No 7.'

AnotherMud has: languages, original areas, class specialization, intelligent
weapons, slaying weapons, and more.

********************
Arctic Mud
192.147.171.2 2700

pk meter: 5.5 '*snicker*'
difficulty: 7
base code: Gamma 'Has changed a lot with 6 man years of coding.'
exp for pk: you _lose_ exp for pk now, might change to a simple 'no'
quotation: 'It's not a pk game and it's not a non-pk game.'

Over 60 unique zones (DragonLance Theme) with new ones being written. Mana
replaced by AD&D inspired Spell Memorization system. Skills improve with use.
Many mob/obj/room specials. Roleplaying is heavily enforsed, resulting in
player groups of varying alignment and races. Experienced Admin and Players.

********************
Armageddon
studsys.mscs.mu.edu 4444

pk meter: 5 'We do not differentiate between players and non-players.'
difficulty: 'Varies. It's more difficult with certain classes than others.'
base code: Vanilla Diku
exp for pk: 'We don't use experience, but I'd say yes.'
quotation: 'Was that a player? Good, maybe he had something cool.'

Original world. Lack of exp-- utterly skill based. Mounts and wagons.
Bartering with storekeepers. A semi-realistic 'feel'. Focus on role-play
as opposed to power-play environment.

********************
Crimson
gpx.lis.uiuc.edu 4000
128.174.4.40 4000

pk meter: 6 'It's legal, but slightly frowned upon.'
difficulty: 3 'It's gonna get harder. Trust me.'
base code: Vanilla 'Modified, will be modified more.'
exp for pk:
quotation:

"The Inquisition will feed the corrupted followers of Zaroth to the
undying flame! None will survive our wrath! We must cleanse the world of
this hideous corruption of Pallan!" --High Inquisitor Dhyraenath
"Ferk you." --The Full Heirarch of ZAROTH

********************
The Crystal Shard
eichstatt.cs.csbsju.edu 9000
152.65.167.12 9000

pk meter: 4 'Mostly ambivalent, but it is survival of the fittest.'
difficulty: 7 'When yer playin, yer playin russian roulette.'
base code: Silly 'Heavily revised.'
exp for pk: yes (?) 'Rules are not quite ironed out on pk.'
quotation: 'Nullae leges, solum kaos.'

The mud has aproximately 700 original rooms in the making.

********************
Kallisti
mud.csos.orst.edu 4000
128.193.40.23 4000

pk meter: 3
difficulty: 5
base code: Gamma
exp for pk: no
quotation: 'If I think you stole from me, I will hunt you down and kill you!'

********************
The Last Outpost
mud.proxima.com 4500 <----- is not up yet (Dec 7) but should be soon

pk meter: 6 'This was not a pk mud, but is starting a transformation.'
difficulty: 7 'Probably not the easiest mud on the net.'
base code:
exp for pk: not yet *wink*
quotation: 'Raid my clan house and I will tear out your lungs!!'

Last Outpost is a full multi-classing mud. Skills improve with use, and
deteriorate without it. Clans are instituted. You are a 'non-pk' till
you enroll into a clan. Items break. Entirely original areas (even the
city) and items. A strong following of players.

********************
Medeivia
bigboy.cis.temple.edu 4000
129.32.32.98 4000

pk meter: 4
difficulty: 5
base code: Merc 'But it's like 75% changed.'
exp for pk: yes in chaotic areas, no in neutral areas
quotation: 'Stay away from Rob and Fast!'

Medeivia has instituted a structured pk'ing format. Most areas are not
'pk areas' however a few are. These areas are either neutral (pk without
consequence) or chaotic ('true' pk). Medeivia has clans, houses, ansi color
capabilities, and tries to maintain a 'family atmosphere'.

********************
MissionMUD
zen.btc.uwe.ac.uk 3142

pk meter: 5(?) 'Not many pk'ers yet, but we'll be what the players want.'
difficulty: 5 'Not too easy, not too tough.'
base code: Circle 2.2
exp for pk: yes 'You get 20% of the victim's exp.'
quotation: 'Shoot & Loot.'

Mission is a fairly new mud (as of today, Dec 6). It is still 'wide open'
to new players, and does not have an established group of power mongers.
There are rules to pk. Most people pk for equipment or exp as opposed to
vengeance.... so far.

********************
Mudde Pathetique
flysex.berkeley.edu 2999
128.32.128.36 2999

pk meter: 8/0 'You are either a pk'er or a non-pk'er.'
difficulty: 3
base code: Gamma
exp for pk: yes 'It's good exp.'
quotation: 'To pk or not to pk.... that is the question.'

There are some safe rooms, where even pk'ers can't attack one another, and
there are some UNSAFE rooms where even non-pk'ers *can* attack one
another. Few players take the option to pk-- this is not a bloody mud.

********************
Mud Dry
eichstatt.cs.csbsju.edu
152.65.167.12
SEE: base code for explanation on porting

pk meter: 7 'There are some 'pk hounds' and some 'pk phobics'.'
difficulty: 3
base code: Circle (port 4000) or Silly (port 5000)
exp for pk: not yet
quotation: 'Why ask why?'

Mud Dry has instituted some guilds which have various relations to
pk'ing. Midgaard has been coded as a 'safe' zone. Flags for both
pk and player thieving have been instated. You cannot pk someone
who is 10 or more levels below yourself.

********************
NaVie DikuMUD
sandstorm.cs.odu.edu 4000
128.82.6.33 4000

pk meter: 5 'pk is legal, but frowned upon.... you will be flagged.'
difficulty:
base code: Gamma 'But heavily modified.'
exp for pk: no 'But there is a 'campaign' in favor of it.'
quotation:

NaVie is considering implementing two 'clans'.... one evil (pk) one
good (vigilante pk). Stats are 'purchased' with exp. The areas are
a mix of stock and original. pk'ing newbies is _heavily_ discouraged
and will be punished.

********************
Renegade Outpost
louie.cc.utexas.edu 9999
128.83.135.4 9999

pk meter: 1 'pk is illegal at all times except for chaos night.'
difficulty: 6 'Challenging, yet not too hard.'
base code: Silly 'We've been around for 2 1/2 yrs, so is altered.'
exp for pk: no
quotation: 'ROgaine.... the mud for old people.'

Renegade Outpost is a large mud with over 20,000 rooms, 16,000 objects, and
14,000 mobs. Multi-classing is allowed. Polymorphing has been instituted.
The people remain friendly and relaxed, more than willing to give a hand.
The imps continuously invest their time into improving the mud.

********************
Sea of Blood
128.153.32.10 6666

pk meter: 10 'pk'ing is greatly encouraged.'
difficulty: 7 'Harder than average, but not the hardest.'
base code: Merc
exp for pk: Double exp for pk
quotation: 'Hey! That warrior over there sure has a nice sword eh?'

Sea of Blood has guilds which can teach unique skills, a realistic sea
which requires a boat to cross, a skill-based character generation,
mob programs, an entirely original world (no stock areas), quests, items
with abilities, etc...

********************
ThunderDome
cyberspace.com 4444
198.145.8.11 4444

pk meter: 5 'Depending on how you treat others.'
difficulty: 7 'We don't give nothin away, but you EARN a lot.'
base code: 'Heavily modified Circle & other original stuff.'
exp for pk: yes 'Mobs and players are not treated too differently.'
quotation: 'Why did that ranger call me an asshole?'

ThunderDome is a Diku based on Circle code. All areas, mobs, items, etc
have been written from scratch. You will not find your favorite areas
here, but we have a lot of nice and not-so-nice surprises. Mortals take
care of their own problems - we hate lawyers, politicians, and whiners.

To all:
Contact me to change the address of a listed mud, inform me of a typo, or
to generally aid me in improving the list. Also, please feel free to
offer new quotations for your favorite mud. I will try to change the
'quotation' occasionally.

To imps:
You have the last word on your mud's entry on the list. I will make a
maximum of 4 lines of descriptive text per mud. Contact me if you would
like this text altered in any way.

Dima
Dim...@Krypton.Mankato.msus.edu

Prince Dimitri

Jan 4, 1994, 10:46:52 AM1/4/94

Aardvark <--------- mud is still down today (Dec 28)
[...]

exp for pk: no, but if you start repeat killing, then yes
quotation: 'Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!! Who killed my horse??!@#!?'

Over 60 unique zones (DragonLance Theme) with new ones being written. Mana
replaced by AD&D inspired Spell Memorization system. Skills improve with use.

Many mob/obj/room specials. Roleplaying is heavily enforced, resulting in

Armageddon
studsys.mscs.mu.edu 4444

quotation: 'If we ever get to play again, I'm gonna pk your ass!!'
keep em comin =)