Player killing: The much vaunted why i kill arguement...

GAV...@psuvm.psu.edu

Nov 24, 1992, 4:44:36 PM11/24/92
After reading all those articles on pking and all...(and unfortunately losing
them all and not being able to respond to darryl personally) i decided to step
forth and say why i enjoy pking....well..its fun...:) Now why do you play mud?
well....its fun....
WOW....amazing....its fun....no explanation needed...but lets try to make one
anyways...as it seems many feel that so called 'asshole' tactics are cheap...
cited are...killing low-levelers and waiting at recall points to finish them
off...lemme add a few more to that list of merriments...summoning to
aggressives, summoning to no exit rooms, letting them tank and finish them
off, sneak fun filled paralyzation items into their inventory in reception
and when they wear all summon them out of reception and steal all their stuff
and kill them....i can think of other merriments....
but you get the general idea...(excuse my lack of intelligent sentence
structure) now lets see...why pk...
equipment..intelligent combatant..the joy of hearing them scream for hours
about hey they were (my personal favorite) 'unfairly pked' its never a fair
fight in a pk
games promote pking....especially the flag system...
why have a flag if not to pk? but all this is the same basic arguement...
so why kill ppl who have invested so much time and effort into playing a mud...
who knows...theres not a REAL answer to that....its like asking why do you kill
mobs? its there...you want to kill...and as for asshole tactics...if your
stupid enough to fall for them..then you deserve to die...its a live and die
mud out there :) (cute, huh?) many players deserve to die..i can think of tons
of reasons to kill some...especially low levelers who get all that help and
have tons of equipment they didn't earn...personally i feel pkers have mostly
earned their position...and are probably some of the better players on a mud...
anyways...i don't know if this really answers your question..but if you think
it doesn't i'd be happy to try and answer any that i can...and take as many
insults that i can bear :)
good luck,
(sorry no sign-off thinger)
eric (aka gambit and various other ppl)

Dan Brumleve

Nov 25, 1992, 10:20:42 AM11/25/92
<GAV...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

Ah, I remember you. I worshipped you during my days on Adversary. ;)

There are some good points raised here... "Asshole tactics" among them.
"Asshole tactics" are more than often the result of some bug/imbalance
in the MUD itself, and therefore are the head-deity's responsibility to
fix. "Asshole tactics" not falling into this category are the player's
responsibility to avoid.

The "ruining other people's hard work" argument doesn't really apply to
MUDding, since MUDding has no ultimate goal. If I walk in and stomp all
over your monopoly game, that's different, since monopoly has a definite
goal (to win). There's no winning or losing in MUDding. You just play,
and live with it. Some people like killing players simply for the fun
of it (me among them ;) ). Personally I don't go hunting down low level
characters, but only because there isn't much of a challenge in it, but
anyone who does certainly has the right to do so.

-Jhalavar-

Dan Brumleve ---> brum...@atropa.stat.uiuc.edu, brum...@imsa.edu

Henri R Helanto

Nov 29, 1992, 9:02:19 PM11/29/92
In <92329.164...@psuvm.psu.edu> <GAV...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

<snip>

>have tons of equipment they didn't earn...personally i feel pkers have mostly
>earned their position...and are probably some of the better players on a mud...
>anyways...i don't know if this really answers your question..but if you think
> it doesn't i'd be happy to try and answer any that i can...and take as many
>insults that i can bear :)

I agree with you - playerkillers _are_ 'better players'.
A playerkiller won't sacrifice 2-3 days of work in form
of a lev20 fighter just to have some fun for 20 minutes.
Tactics I've seen are like getting a new lev1 character,
boosting it up to lev3-5 (to be able to buy a pet) and
killing with the pet (easy, pets have 'citizen' flag on,
guards defend pets and rescue them after you've told
them to attack another player), gathering piles of eq on
a lev15-20 fighter (with good stats) and blasting off
everybody (and renting just before they caught you),
mass-murder in public places (does anyone remember Sejnet?
..reboot at 02.00 GMT, everybody renting at the same time)
with earthquake or equivalent.
Playerkillers are really smart or they won't make it in
the long run.

But I really don't want to see newbies getting killed or
others getting robbed for fun.

-Henri
--
Henri Helanto - SysOp