Psionics

Adam Powell

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Just out of interest, how many muds out there have true psionics, ie.
don't just use the spell casting code, but have true and genuine psionics?

anyone got any ideas on the matter?

I've seen so many muds with:

cast 'balistic attack' mrtoughmobwithattitude

etc.

but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,
progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
didn't use the casting system... :)

Mark Stanford

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.961115122624.19925C-100000@granby>, Adam Powell
<lgy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

Envy has a class called psionicist. The spells for psionicist are all
supposedly done with psionics, but are mostly just given names to resemble
it, like "thought shield." There are a few spells which are actually
psionics, psychic drain, chameleon power, and a few others. By
"psionics," beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

--
kim...@inetworld.net
___ ___ _______ _______ _______ _______ ______

Dean Onyskevitch

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Adam Powell wrote:

> Just out of interest, how many muds out there have true psionics, ie.
> don't just use the spell casting code, but have true and genuine psionics?
>
> anyone got any ideas on the matter?
>
> I've seen so many muds with:
>
> cast 'balistic attack' mrtoughmobwithattitude
>
> etc.
>
> but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,
> progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
> didn't use the casting system... :)

You might want to check out The Rifts. They psionicist's there 'will'
there attacks instead of 'cast'. You'll find it the web page at
http://rifts.tcimet.net or you can telnet://rifts.tcimet.net:6666

Later,
Dean

Nguyen-Anh Le

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Adam Powell (lgy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk) wrote:
: but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,

: progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
: didn't use the casting system... :)

What sort of rates and costs would you be talking about? I'm kinda
interested in hearing how you can do such powers differently. The
two followups before this seem to use the conventional approach of
using up mana per cast (or whatever verb you may want to call it).

One idea would be to use up some mana for each tick in which the
spell remains in effect. Any others?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Nguyen-Anh D. Le l...@mail.id.net http://www.id.net/~len

Adam Powell

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96
to Mark Stanford

> > but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,
> > progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
> > didn't use the casting system... :)
>

> Envy has a class called psionicist. The spells for psionicist are all
> supposedly done with psionics, but are mostly just given names to resemble
> it, like "thought shield." There are a few spells which are actually
> psionics, psychic drain, chameleon power, and a few others. By
> "psionics," beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you mean.
>
> --
> kim...@inetworld.net

well, I don't know how to explain. I'll chuck out our help files to the
net and post here again tomorrow with the addy for all the details.

James Tripp

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Adam Powell wrote:

> Just out of interest, how many muds out there have true psionics, ie.
> don't just use the spell casting code, but have true and genuine psionics?
>
> anyone got any ideas on the matter?
>
> I've seen so many muds with:
>
> cast 'balistic attack' mrtoughmobwithattitude
>
> etc.
>
> but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,
> progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
> didn't use the casting system... :)

Armageddon (Diku Role Playing in a Desert Genre) at
ginka.armageddon.org (port 23)

Has some psionics that drain on the HP for maintenance and startup
cost. Psionics was our answer to the free 'tell' and 'shout' of old
diku.
There are a few psionic abilities that everyone has, the replacement
for tell, it is also a skill, so not 100% chance of getting the
message across.

I am pretty sure http://www.armageddon.org has some more info on it.
-Tenebrius
ones that

Vincent Louie - AERE/F92

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Adam Powell wrote:
> Just out of interest, how many muds out there have true psionics, ie.
> don't just use the spell casting code, but have true and genuine psionics?

> but only one with true psionics with different rates and upkeep costs,

> progressive powers, and one off powers like balistic attack. guess they
> didn't use the casting system... :)

Infinite Planes has psionicists that use energy instead of mana, with
xxx.obj and the source code heavily modified to reflect this and other
classes. A few spells may look similiar to other classes' spells, but
for the most part, they are unique.

--
vl

Thunder on Infinite Planes
38.241.8.101 4545

lin...@community.net

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96
to lgy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk

Although I don't know the lyrics, the name of the song is, "The Michigan
Rag"

P.S. On the cartoon, it's performed by Michigan J. Frog.

Good Luck:) Bren