More on problem players

Danny Brumleve

Jul 26, 1992, 10:34:50 PM7/26/92

The other day I had a player on who was threatening to send me a bomb
in the mail if I didn't meet his 'demands', which I didn't let him live
long enough to state. He claimed affiliation with MOD, which I believe
is a hacker organization. He called in from a local site, and knew
my name, address, phone number, and age. For the time being I'm
not opening any large packages, but my question is: has anyone
ever had problems with scumbags like this?

Ross Williamson

Jul 26, 1992, 11:23:02 PM7/26/92
brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:

Is this serious ( no insult intended ). A bomb in the mail is a little
heavy... what were his demands to threaten you with a bomb. All in all
you/we have to think along the lines ....
Have we talked to the sysadmin do we have his/her agreement to use
the machine.....
If the answers to the above question is yes tell the sysadmin, see
what they think. You never know this person may just be having a prank
at your expense.

But a bomb why do people get so emotionally and ego 'lly linked with
MUD's.....

It's a mystery to me.

Ross.

PS I'm really curious about these demands that warrent bomb threats.

Danny Brumleve

Jul 27, 1992, 12:35:20 AM7/27/92
ro...@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ross Williamson) writes:

>brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:

>> The other day I had a player on who was threatening to send me a bomb
>>in the mail if I didn't meet his 'demands', which I didn't let him live
>>long enough to state. He claimed affiliation with MOD, which I believe
>>is a hacker organization. He called in from a local site, and knew
>>my name, address, phone number, and age. For the time being I'm
>>not opening any large packages, but my question is: has anyone
>>ever had problems with scumbags like this?

>Is this serious ( no insult intended ). A bomb in the mail is a little
>heavy... what were his demands to threaten you with a bomb. All in all

When I say he threatened me with sending me a mail bomb, I'm completely
serious, although I doubt his intent to actually do so.

> If the answers to the above question is yes tell the sysadmin, see
>what they think. You never know this person may just be having a prank
>at your expense.

I already have.

> But a bomb why do people get so emotionally and ego 'lly linked with
>MUD's.....

>It's a mystery to me.

We've had similar problems with this particular person. He was on a while
ago, doing basically obnoxious things, like insulting people for no reason.
We simply ignored him and he went away.

>Ross.

>PS I'm really curious about these demands that warrent bomb threats.

As I said, I didn't bother to listen to him. I 'froze' him first. *grin*

John M Morrill

Jul 27, 1992, 1:05:32 PM7/27/92
No, I have never be threaten with a bomb in the mail. However, this kind of
threat is not funny. I sugguest you stop by your friendly local post office and
ask how you can make an appointment to speak to a postal inspector.

After a visit from a postal inspector, where this guy will be enlighten as to
the taxpayer sponsored vacation at Club Fed he can earn if he continues to
threaten to use the U.S. mail to deliever bombs, I think you will see a whole
new attitude on his part.

Strange problems call for strange solutions.

Ross Williamson

Jul 27, 1992, 3:57:36 PM7/27/92
brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:

>ro...@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ross Williamson) writes:

>>brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:
< stuff deleted >

>We've had similar problems with this particular person. He was on a while
>ago, doing basically obnoxious things, like insulting people for no reason.
>We simply ignored him and he went away.

>>PS I'm really curious about these demands that warrent bomb threats.

>As I said, I didn't bother to listen to him. I 'froze' him first. *grin*

"'Froze' him first." the best ploy I've found :)

Your in a sort of sticky situation. A while ago here we covered the topic
of abusive players. I'm right in the middle of creating a FAQ entry on this
very subject. One thing we didn't cover though is physical threats.
How should we as Mud Admins handle it.
Down here where I admin a mud I've had some ( only a little ) physical
violence on the part of players but as yet nothing directed at me. One
of the real questions is that unless your a real tough guy the idea of
someone kicking your face in isn't all that appealing. ( Well at least not
to me ) What can you do when someone physically threatens you... ok were
not the police so theres nothing lawful ( directly ) that we can do.
If we block the person from the mud then they might take that as provaction
And in some cases just freezing them could be taken as provacation.
Tricky........

One thing I wonder is that these players that threaten the admins for
something (usu. more powers) whether they are actually serious to any degree.
Now I understand that at the time it's worrying but how many of these
players actually carry out their promises (?) .
A nice ploy I've used once is that you inform the player that if he/she
gets the mud shutdown that you will inform all the other players who got
the mud shutdown. Now this is in some ways dropping to the same level
but it did work :)

Have other admins had this problem ????

Ross.

Antony Chen

Jul 29, 1992, 1:42:40 AM7/29/92
brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:

Holy shit! When stuff like this happens, I wonder what the purpose is of
putting up a mud where people obviously don't enjoy themselves. Hell, it's
just a game. I've had people beg, but I've never had a person threaten
physical harm. I'm not exactly sure how seriously you're taking it, but
I'd like to know.

MMMMM MMMMM Antony Chen aka MELVIN @ University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
MMMM MMMM GO BLUE!! THE FAB 5 RULES: Mama said knock you out!
MMM MM MM MMM Mud-related mail: tony...@engin.umich.edu
MMM MMMM MMM Personal mail: Anton...@um.cc.umich.edu
MMM MM MMM Misc mail: tc...@churchst.ccs.itd.umich.edu
MMMMM MMMMM ***********************************************************

Danny Brumleve

Jul 29, 1992, 8:08:01 AM7/29/92
ch...@crs.cl.msu.edu (Antony Chen) writes:

>brumleve@atropa (Danny Brumleve) writes:

Not all that seriously... I imagine it's probably some low-life playing
a 'joke' on me, but it really freaked me out at the time. The same guy had
logged on before causing various problems - he knew very little about
MUDs; he was some IRC reject - and didn't have the opportunity to do
much harm besides being generally rude and annoying. I froze him
after the mail bomb threat (quite a handy command), and he hasn't
been back since.

-Jhalavar-