Release: WIZARDS COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF TSR

Adam!!!

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

WIZARDS OF THE COAST NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WIZARDS OF THE COAST COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF TSR INC.

June 3, 1997 (Renton, Wash.)--Wizards of the Coast Inc. today announced the
completion of its acquisition of TSR Inc., finalizing a transaction that
began in April when the two leaders of the adventure gaming industry
announced the signing of a letter of intent. Both companies are privately
held, and financial terms of the deal are not being disclosed. A product
and employee integration plan is currently being developed and details will
be announced at a later date.

Wizards of the Coast is the publisher of the world's best-selling trading
card game, *Magic: The Gathering*(R). Lake Geneva, Wis.-based TSR is the
publisher of the world-renowned adventure game *Dungeons & Dragons*(R).

Peter Adkison, president and CEO of Wizards of the Coast, commented, "I am
personally and professionally thrilled with the finalization of this
agreement. The Dungeons & Dragons legacy has dominated the adventure
roleplaying game category for more than 22 years, and we are thrilled to be
new providers to its enormous worldwide audience."

Founded in 1975, TSR rose to a market leadership position that endures
today with the introduction of Dungeons & Dragons. The internationally
famous game further generated a wide variety of best-selling adventure and
roleplaying games and merchandise, including the _New York Times_
best-selling book series, *Dragonlance*(R). The game Dungeons & Dragons was
featured in an early scene of the 1982 Steven Spielberg hit movie, _E.T.:
The Extra-Terrestrial_.

Wizards of the Coast is a privately held game company that publishes the
world's best-selling trading card game, Magic: The Gathering. Headquartered
outside of Seattle, Wash., in the city of Renton, Wizards of the Coast is
the leading authority on card games and adventure board games, with
top-selling titles such as the *BattleTech*(R) TCG and *RoboRally*(R).
Wizards of the Coast also has international offices in Antwerp, Paris and
London. For more information on Wizards of the Coast, visit the company's
website at <http://www.wizards.com> or its CompuServe forum at <GO WIZARDS>.

WIZARDS OF THE COAST, Magic: The Gathering and RoboRally are registered
trademarks of Wizards of the Coast Inc. Dungeons & Dragons and Dragonlance
are registered trademarks of TSR Inc. BattleTech is a registered trademark
of FASA Corporation. The BattleTech universe is owned by FASA Corporation
and used under license.
©1997 Wizards of the Coast Inc.

Tim Breen

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Any ETA on the FAQ regarding the deal?

-- Tim

Personal: http://personalweb.lightside.com/Pfiles/breen1.html
Gaming: http://www.rpga.org/Home.html

To subscribe to the RPGA-Talk mailing list, send a blank message to
requ...@lists.consultantalliance.com with a "subject of subscribe
RPGA-Talk" (no quotes).

Bridget Farace

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Adam!!! wrote:

> WIZARDS OF THE COAST NEWS RELEASE
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> WIZARDS OF THE COAST COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF TSR INC.

<snip>
Yeah! No more rumors! No more silliness! Now can I have my
Dragon magazine?
Please?
:)

Bridget

Paul MacDonald

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Bridget Farace wrote:

> Yeah! No more rumors! No more silliness! Now can I have my
> Dragon magazine?
> Please?
> :)
>
> Bridget

Nope! I get it. It was a part of the deal. <g>

Paul

Adam!!!

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

In article <637cd$17d1d.350@NEWS>, Bridget Farace
<janetf@*nospam*popalex1.linknet.net> wrote:

> <snip>

> Yeah! No more rumors! No more silliness! Now can I have my
> Dragon magazine?
> Please?
> :)
>
> Bridget

It'll be a little while yet, but the magazines should be the first things
to get rolling. We're working on it, don't lose your head!

Oh, trust me, there will be more silliness. I assure you.

Adam Conus
Customer Service
wild...@wizards.com
Wizards of the Coast
and TSR!!!

Hugo Jonker

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Adam!!! (wild...@wizards.com) thought about:

> Oh, trust me, there will be more silliness. I assure you.
> Adam Conus
> Customer Service
> wild...@wizards.com
> Wizards of the Coast
> and TSR!!!

Say, as long as you are posting here, could you please (pretty please with
sugar on top and strawberrys in it) post a FAQ about the take-over ?
Ie, which campaign settings will be continued, will you make a 3rd ed.
(erm.... rather not), will the prices drop etc etc.

Please ?

(Btw, I am interested mainly in Dark Zon (not breaking any tm's there ;),
so if you only wish to respond to this message, then please contain that
info.)

Thanx in advance (from probably everyone of the NG).

--
Bel...@stack.nl
.oO Real programmers do it fast Oo.

Pesach CV Lattin, Publisher & Writer

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Yeah, will TSR be such a continual pain in the ass regarding copyrights?

--
Pesach Lattin
Publisher, Sphere Online Publications

Sphere Fantasy
http://www.fantasylink.com
----

Sean K Reynolds

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

>Say, as long as you are posting here, could you please (pretty please with
>sugar on top and strawberrys in it) post a FAQ about the take-over ?
>Ie, which campaign settings will be continued, will you make a 3rd ed.
>(erm.... rather not), will the prices drop etc etc.

If you read the press release on the TSR site about the buyout being complete,
you'd notice a little line at the bottom that says:

[A FAQ for questions that we can now answer, such as what is being
planned for immediate release, relocation, etc., is in progress and
will be posted as soon as it is an organized state.]

- Sean Reynolds, crusader for literacy on the internet

--
Sean K Reynolds a.k.a. Veggie Boy skr...@netcom.com skr...@aol.com
"Universities are full of knowledge; the freshmen bring a little in and

Jason Hatter

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Sean K Reynolds (skr...@netcom.com) wrote:
: - Sean Reynolds, crusader for literacy on the internet

Sure you want to do that, Sean? That's a thankless job, and it will take
the rest of your life....
--
Jason
http://www.cris.com/~towonder/

DJorgen104

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

In article <wildcard-050...@w11-61.wizards.com>,
wild...@wizards.com (Adam!!!) writes:

>It'll be a little while yet, but the magazines should be the first things
>to get rolling. We're working on it, don't lose your head!
>

>Oh, trust me, there will be more silliness. I assure you.
>
>Adam Conus
>Customer Service
>wild...@wizards.com
>Wizards of the Coast
>and TSR!!!

Hmmm.... WotC customer service answering questions about TSR product...
Does this mean Sean's job is at risk of being downsized in the transition?

Dana Jorgensen
Alternate Realities Publications.

Sean K Reynolds

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

> Hmmm.... WotC customer service answering questions about TSR product...
> Does this mean Sean's job is at risk of being downsized in the transition?

No.

--
Sean K Reynolds | "Football combines the two worst things
a.k.a. Veggie Boy | about America: it is violence punctuated

Sean K Reynolds

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Jason Hatter (Towo...@cris.com) wrote:

>Sean K Reynolds (skr...@netcom.com) wrote:
>: - Sean Reynolds, crusader for literacy on the internet

>Sure you want to do that, Sean? That's a thankless job, and it will take
>the rest of your life....

Like my current job is any different? ;)

--
Sean K Reynolds a.k.a. Veggie Boy skr...@netcom.com skr...@aol.com

"Later, alone, Belial will curl himself up undere the mountains and
remember Seraphiel, and archangel who fell by his side, who was one of
few Belial had considered a friend."

Otis Viles

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:47:29 GMT, skr...@netcom.com (Sean K Reynolds)
wrote:

>If you read the press release on the TSR site about the buyout being complete,
>you'd notice a little line at the bottom that says:
>
> [A FAQ for questions that we can now answer, such as what is being
> planned for immediate release, relocation, etc., is in progress and
> will be posted as soon as it is an organized state.]

Maybe it just needs to be a larger line for those of us who are hard
of hearing.

Otis.

We used to hate people, now we just make fun of them.
It's more effective that way. -- KMFDM

Ed Taychert

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Sean K Reynolds wrote:

> > Hmmm.... WotC customer service answering questions about TSR product...
> > Does this mean Sean's job is at risk of being downsized in the transition?
>
> No.

Nice to see you being so active again ...

and I take that as a Good Thing (tm).

- Ed.

Jason Hatter

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Sean K Reynolds (skr...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Like my current job is any different? ;)

Presumably, it pays better...*gryn*

Rob Sanders

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:59:23 GMT, skr...@netcom.com (Sean K Reynolds)
wrote:

>> Hmmm.... WotC customer service answering questions about TSR product...
>> Does this mean Sean's job is at risk of being downsized in the transition?
>
>No.

The victims are always the last to know......

:)

-----------
Shine on,
Rob

The WeReCHiCKeN

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
<snip>

> >The victims are always the last to know......
>
> Yeah, which is why I got an offer from WotC today ... all part of
> the master plan to trick me.... :P''''

You'll be replaced by some men in black soon, don't you worry :)

> OPPORTUNITY always involves some risk. You can't steal second base and
> keep your foot on first.

You can if you're Mr. Fantastic.