Wolfpack Hvy Winter Fever 2013 is over

Wolfpack

Dec 4, 2013, 2:09:12 PM12/4/13
The Wolfpack Hvy Winter Fever is over, Whodat won. Congratulations!

- = [ Empire Power Report ] = -
as of Mon Dec 2 15:51:01 2013

sects eff civ mil shell gun pet iron dust oil pln ship unit money
Whodat 424 93% 314K 12K 2.2K 450 4.2K 13K 366 2.6K 137 169 77 54K
12801.14
1 183 94% 130K 12K 1.3K 245 6.7K 4.2K 68 1.5K 56 72 29 7.2K
4551.85
Spider 151 94% 97K 11K 313 100 1.6K 3.0K 2 1.8K 29 95 37 41K
3780.69
CH4 6 60% 3.0K 1.4K 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 -18K
72.80
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
worldwide 764 93% 544K 37K 3.8K 795 13K 20K 436 5.9K 222 343 143 84K

Coming up: Wolfpack Common Winter Fever! Watch this space for the
announcement.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Fri Nov 1 19:44:12 2013
Remember to change your country name *before* breaking sanctuary!

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Fri Nov 1 19:57:47 2013
In this game, you start with a pre-developed country. Your start
island has been set up by a highly trained monkey. The setup is
probably not disastrously bad. If you can improve on it, you're
probably not a monkey.

Your harbors got available work, and your warehouse has plenty of
materials. Your radar station is fully operational. Your budget
predicts a large positive delta. Suggest to put all that to use
immediately.

In previous Hvy Fever games, the Natives out there defended their
wilderness bravely, but the poor guys they were no match for a fully
loaded frigate.

Enjoy!

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Mon Nov 4 18:20:03 2013
FYI: I'm going to be offline until Nov 13.

> Announcement from visitor, (#9) dated Tue Nov 5 13:08:31 2013
Hey, how big are the start islands?

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Tue Nov 5 13:10:59 2013

Big, as in, plenty of room for making webs!!

But in terms of numbers between 50 and 60.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 8 18:03:30 2013
anyone who uses methane as their country name is probably
safe.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Fri Nov 8 18:05:21 2013
Safe from ??

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Fri Nov 8 18:07:18 2013
Hey, smoke if you have em....
:)

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 8 18:08:13 2013
little bastards they are.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Fri Nov 8 18:12:48 2013
Never liked them Natives anyway !

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Fri Nov 8 18:49:09 2013
Gotta love the 1-sector mountain-islands!

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sat Nov 9 17:26:11 2013
an obligatory golf joke
Three guys are waiting to tee of for what looks like a nice day of walking around
interspersed with hitting a small white ball. But then to make the day even
better, a really hot red headed woman (note - This joke was origianlly about a
blonde, but the teller here has a thing for red heads. Swap if you must.) sets
her clubs donw next to the 3 men and asks if she can join. Naturally, they say
yes.
So 17 and a half holes later, the round has been very enjoyable and the woman
has an 8 foot putt left. She tells the men "I'm having my best round ever and
if I sink this putt, it will be a personal best. They guy that helps me the most
to sink this gets to spend the night with me."
Well, the youngest guy, 25, walks up behind her, grabs her wrists and tells her
"you have to blah blah blah blah" and proceeds to tell her nothing she doesn't
already know. She is not impressed. The next guy, 35, then starts to talk about

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sat Nov 9 17:29:00 2013
how the green is going to break and there is a slight grade how hard or soft she
needs to hit the ball. She nods and seems to take in the information a bit more
than what the younger guy said. He thinks he might be in, so to say.
then the last guy, 45 years old, walks up to the ball, looks at it, looks at the
cup, looks at her, back to the ball, the cup, her, studying the situation. He is
deep in thought. Then he lets out a deep breath and gives her his advice.
"Pick it up lady, you're close enough."

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Sat Nov 9 17:55:58 2013
Not a great joke, IMHO.

Please submit another.

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sat Nov 9 18:01:32 2013
Give me an example of a great joke first, so I know what one is!!

> Announcement from 1, (#1) dated Sun Nov 10 17:28:47 2013
WhereDat WhoDat?

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Sun Nov 10 17:30:40 2013
So, there was this guy from Nantuckit

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sun Nov 10 17:32:39 2013
Was that the guy that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket?
I always get him confused with somebody else...

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sun Nov 10 17:50:04 2013
well, let's talk football. Make your predicts for the "early" games.
Seattle (+4) @ Atlanta. Not even close. Seattle by a lot.
Cincinnatti @ Baltimore (Even) Baltimore just lost to Cleveland. No hope for them here
Detroit @ Chicago (+1) Hope the Bears win, but I have a feeling they won't
Philly @ Green Bay (+1) No Aaron Rogers? I go with Eagles.
St Louis @ Indy (+7.5) Just 1 TD in the spread? Go with the Colts
Oakland @ NY Giants (+7) Really? I'll take Oakland.
Buffalo @ Pittsburg (+3) Buffalo, on the road? But I am still taking them.
jacksonville @ Tennessee (+12) Have the Jaguars even covered a spread this year? Titans here.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Sun Nov 10 21:38:32 2013
nothing like missing TWO updates!
woot woot.

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Sun Nov 10 22:07:24 2013
So how did I do with the early game picks.
Seattle at Atlanta. nailed it. 1-0
Cincy @ Baltimore. It went to OT but I was on the wrong side. 1-1
Detroit @ Chicago. Sad results, but I got it right. 2-1
Philly @ GB. When the Packers lose, it is a good day for everyone. 3-1
Rams at Indy. Holy $#!(. Nobody saw that coming. 3-2
Oakland @ Giants. Raiders lost, but beat the spread. 4-2
Jacksonville @ Tennessee. Uhh, Titans didn;t cover, did they. Oh well, 4-3.
So that makes me over .500 which means I am over qualified to work as an
analyst at ESPN.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Sun Nov 10 22:24:01 2013
Nothing like giving up a 50 sector lead, slam bang thank you
the red headed lady. (BTW) that is why I missed the update. The red-head.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Mon Nov 11 14:45:54 2013
going hostile in all directions for fort fire.
fyi.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Mon Nov 11 15:01:22 2013
anyone know why my winace doesn't like some boat types? shows
????? but at least ids.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Mon Nov 11 15:58:33 2013
got it figured, my database is NOT automatically updating. Hmmm...

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Mon Nov 11 16:18:19 2013
A golfer marries a woman who wants to learn to play so that they can enjoy the game together. The husband tries to teach his wife how to hit the ball properly, but every ball she hits she slices. No matter what adjustments her husband recommends, every ball is sliced. Her distance is ok, but the direction is always to the right.

They decide to get lessons from the local gold pro. He arranges a lesson time with the woman alone so that the husband doesn't interfere. He asks the woman to hit some golf balls to observe her stance and swing, and every ball she hits is sliced.

He finally says to her, "I think you are gripping the club to tight. Try holding the club like you would hold your husband's penis, and let's see how that works."

Her first ball goes dead straight, about 50 yards. The next goes sraight again, about 75 yards. The third ball....straight again, about 65 yards.

After the third shot, he says to her, "OK, let's get the club handle out of your mouth and work on distance".

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Mon Nov 11 16:31:44 2013
and the congeniality award goes to

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Mon Nov 11 16:32:01 2013
???

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Mon Nov 11 16:33:43 2013
WhoDat

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Tue Nov 12 15:18:14 2013
Uh oh

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Tue Nov 12 16:21:39 2013
If Spider notices, my anno brought about
negotiations with #1. Little does the padawan understand
the ways of the Obewan.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Tue Nov 12 17:43:26 2013
Yo, Obi!
I wasn't talking about you.

You are NOT the center of the universe.

;-)

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Tue Nov 12 17:49:53 2013
I can fully back Spider's assertion that Obi is NOT the center of the universe.
I know that because I am standing here, right in the center of the universe,
all by myself.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Tue Nov 12 17:54:43 2013
There we go!

> Announcement from CH4, (#4) dated Tue Nov 12 17:58:00 2013
And remember kids, it's a lot easier to shave the neighbor's cat if you drug it 1st

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 13 18:08:03 2013
where is the update

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 13 18:08:57 2013
shit are we saying no update today?
did we just go to every other day!
are you kidding me.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 13 18:12:27 2013
no it says we were suppose to have one on show updates.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 13 18:13:22 2013
fricking aye... just went to everyother day.
SIGH....
piss me off!

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Wed Nov 13 18:23:04 2013
Hello?

You mean you didn't check updates earlier or read the MOTD?

hmmm

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Wed Nov 13 18:26:41 2013
So does this mean that Obi is moving center?

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 13 20:10:19 2013
"You mean I did't...." My wife frequently begins
a conversation with me: "Hubby, You mean you didn't!...."
and I use the technique of 'duck and cover'. But every once
in a while I use 'Shock and Awe'.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Wed Nov 13 20:21:29 2013
That explains the first message.
What about the other two?

;-)

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Wed Nov 13 20:22:47 2013
Not to speak on behalf of Holy Hanuman here, but
I don't think he does much kidding...

maybe it's just me...

> Announcement from 1, (#1) dated Wed Nov 13 20:52:19 2013

Seams like a sneak attack against CH4
is not quite so sneak
anymore.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Fri Nov 15 10:52:02 2013
A player observed that his capital made him just 120 BTUs in 40', and
none after another 10'. He wished he could get more, and more
frequently.

You get BTUs at the update, and when you log in. How much depends on
your capital, and on how much game time (measured in ETUs) passed
since you last got BTUs.

In this game, a fully populated and efficient capital makes 120 BTUs
per ETU, and there are 60 ETUs per update. Right now, updates are 48
hours apart (give or take the update window, but let's ignore that for
simplicity). Therefore, one ETU is 48 minutes.

Example: you're out of BTUs, you've been logged continiously in since
the last update, and "show updates 1" prints

Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:28:19 +0000, Turn 7, ETU 20
Updates occur according to schedule:
7. Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:00:00 +0000
Updates occur within 300 seconds after the scheduled time

We know the last update was at 6pm yesterday. ETU 20 started 20 * 48'
= 16h after the update, at 10am today.

If you log out and back in now, you'll get 640 BTUs (20 ETUs * 120
BTU/ETU, capped at the maximum of 640 BTUs). You can get 120 more
when game time reaches ETU 21, at 10:48.

Unfortunately, there is no command telling you when the next ETU
starts, and none to tell you how many BTUs you would get then,
assuming your capital remains as it is now.

For more information, see "info BTU".

BTUs and their generation rate have always been controversial.
Conventional wisdom is that they're needed to limit what an attacker
can do in a short time span (i.e. while the defender is offline). But
they also limit counter-attacks, and the combined effect can favor the
attacker rather the defender at times.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 15 19:00:51 2013
A comment for Hanuman.
I consider this game a blitz and I have mentioned this numerous times before.
In any blitz like game eliminate any possibility of btu-crunch.
God's comments on HOW btus are made is fine, but it does address blitz playability! Wait
until you want to strip aircover and shell sectors in conjuction with a pre-post
update attack and have forgot to log in TWO.5 hours before the update to gaurantee your
btu generation after you run out of btus.
I would prefer massively faster btu generation.
Secondly, I have comments about the cm CRUnCH! but we will leave that to
another anno.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Sat Nov 16 10:10:35 2013
} A comment for Hanuman.

Always appreciated.

} I consider this game a blitz and I have mentioned this numerous times before.
} In any blitz like game eliminate any possibility of btu-crunch.

You're free to consider this game whatever you want. On a technical
level, however, it's not a blitz, it's a repeating game.

} God's comments on HOW btus are made is fine, but it does address blitz playability! Wait
} until you want to strip aircover and shell sectors in conjuction with a pre-post
} update attack and have forgot to log in TWO.5 hours before the update to gaurantee your
} btu generation after you run out of btus.

Two separate issues here: blitz-style play, and the fact careful
scheduling of your logins can give you more BTUs. I have nothing more
to say on the former right now. On the latter: it's always been that
way, and I've always hated it. It's a fine example of what I call
"gamey": strategic or tactical competence doesn't help you with it at
all, you just need to know exactly how the game mechanics work.

} I would prefer massively faster btu generation.

Until you're at the receiving end of it, perhaps :)

} Secondly, I have comments about the cm CRUnCH! but we will leave that to
} another anno.

Looking forward to it.

> Announcement from 1, (#1) dated Sat Nov 16 15:31:02 2013

two and a half hours to update

all is quiet

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Sat Nov 16 17:54:02 2013
Can't you hear the waves lashing against the ships sides as
the engines move from idle to full speed?

Oh wait...that's another game...scratch that.

> Announcement from Spider, (#7) dated Sat Nov 16 18:39:15 2013
Looks like CH4 has gone looking for red heads ;-)

> Announcement from 1, (#1) dated Mon Nov 18 17:54:32 2013

All is quiet on the eastern, western, southern, and northern fronts.

Could it be the calm before the storm?

Who knows.

The Shadow Do.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Mon Nov 18 18:06:19 2013
one donwn.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Wed Nov 20 16:46:51 2013
WOoot woot an actual attack
woot woot.
Call in the advisors!
Call in the troops,
gather the whores.
Time to party!

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Thu Nov 21 15:20:11 2013
WINACE PEOPLE: viewing options: please put a selector choice
rather than just giving us YOUR favorite choices, with tons
of radio buttons. That way I can see the ships I want!

my 1.5 cents.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 22 17:59:13 2013
sheez nothing like signing on and you have 40 telegrams!
and all fricking patrol boats.
update time!!!!

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 22 18:06:43 2013
Range 8 woot woot.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Tue Nov 26 17:58:19 2013
A wind is blowing easterly across the lands...
A lone outlook sees ships hovering on the horizon...
he wonders...

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Thu Nov 28 03:21:09 2013
It is weird, found another island covered in death arachnids, large ones.
Place was dark and evil. But we didn't kill them.

Then as we were gathering the bodies we found a message scralled on the side
of a row of coccons: Frodo was here.

Fricking weird.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Thu Nov 28 16:31:16 2013
the smell of mixing napalm in the morning
with the sound of c-41
firing up. Diesel, wind, the morning air. What could make a
man happier?

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Thu Nov 28 17:08:50 2013
Drums are beating in the distance. Almost a hypnotic
effect. Rythm of the idling diesel engines accompanied by
primitive island drums. Scenes of near naked women, pagan dancers
weaving around the fire, stomping the ground. Mens hearts are
pounding at the thought of war and pilaging.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Thu Nov 28 19:05:54 2013
A player observed rebels massacring his land units, and inquired how
casualties are allocated among the occupying forces in a rebellion.

The player further observed that he didn't lose the sector, and that
he still had military in it right after the update.

Rebellion rules are a mess that makes little sense.

Che always fights for the sector's old owner. When an occupied sector
becomes yours, any che there also become yours. But that doesn't stop
them from fighting you.

Casualties are taken first from military, then from land units. The
code tries to damage units with capability security first, but kill
them last. The precise workings are too confused to permit
description.

If the rebels win, the old owner takes over the sector. Except when
the sector is old-owned, it merely becomes old-owned by POGO.
Explains how the player could keep the sector.

20% of the civilians become military (free of charge). Explains how
the player could have military in the sector.

Happy COINing!

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Thu Nov 28 20:20:46 2013
that doesn't really explain how a sector woould have 22 mil killed 19 che and still have
29 mill left in it but then 8 units all get killed including a 100% train.
I was always told that if mil are in a unit say 2 and 1 mil of the unit diess
the unit take 50% damage. BUT if a unit has 0 mil it can't fight and cant take damage.
But inaddition, since mil take damage first, if your mil are still present the units should
not have taken damage... Just my two cents. I know there is noone to do
much code clean up considering how our numbers have dropped... but still...
documentation on lots of stuff is old or lacking and when things don't
quite go a planned a bit frustrating.

But Spider should be glad I lost 8k in units.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Fri Nov 29 17:46:31 2013
Ok, so unless those others doth protest, I am going to claim victory.
I can invade Spiders homeland now or let him capitulate at which time
1 and I would just wait for nukes.
sup?

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Sat Nov 30 18:03:23 2013
and now it ends.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Sat Nov 30 18:35:19 2013
Ok so I have Spider's Captial and bank and am just going to stop for now
and wait to see if anything happens.

> Announcement from Whodat, (#6) dated Sat Nov 30 19:39:49 2013
Ok I have taken 22 sectors of SPiders mainland his cap and bank.
He has no units left on the mainland and I have 22 there.

Unless I hear an objection from anyone GAME OVER.
Ding

> Announcement from 1, (#1) dated Sun Dec 1 01:03:57 2013
looks like WhoDat
is a winner
I have troble taking sectors from a country in flux
much less an av=ctive player

Congrates Whodat

loser (1)
,

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Sun Dec 1 10:20:03 2013
A player found that one of his sectors suddenly needs military control
for moving stuff. His production report had a line "Revolutionary
subversion reported" for that sector. He wonders how subversion could
lead to a need for military control.

"Revolutionary subversion" happens when there are rebels but no
military in a sector. Same effect as a successful revolt. In
particular, the rebels take over the sector, provided the sector isn't
too loyal to its owner already.

As explained in my previous announcement, sector takeover transfers an
occupied sector to its old owner, but for an old-owned sector, it
merely changes the old-owner to POGO. This turns it into an occupied
sector, which needs military control.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Sun Dec 1 10:29:04 2013
} that doesn't really explain how a sector woould have 22 mil killed 19
} che and still have 29 mill left in it but then 8 units all get killed
} including a 100% train.

Oh yes, it does :)

First, your guys slugged it out with the rebels. The rebels won, and
your occupying force got wiped out, including your land units. Sector
had zero military then.

Next, the rebels took over the sector. Since you old-owned it, you
kept the sector, but POGO became old-owner.

Finally, 5% of the sector's civilians joined your military.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Sun Dec 1 10:46:15 2013
} I know there is noone to do much code clean up considering how our
} numbers have dropped... but still... documentation on lots of stuff
} is old or lacking and when things don't quite go a planned a bit
} frustrating.

"info Empire4" shows a fair amount of development activity. 2013 saw
two releases, which added more than 3000 lines of code, deleted more
than 2200. The total churn is much bigger, mostly because of improved
self-tests.

Far more work is needed. Contributors welcome. If you'd like to
help, but don't know how, contact me.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Sun Dec 1 11:01:24 2013
*** Attention, please ***

Whodat's victory declaration is pending. #1 conceded. No reaction
from Spider, yet.

Unless there are formal objections by Monday noon server time, the
game will end then.

> Announcement from Hanuman, (#10) dated Mon Dec 2 15:52:31 2013
*** Hvy Winter Fever 2013 is over ***

Congratulations to the winner Whodat!

Updates are disabled. A brief game report will be posted to
rec.games.empire.

- = [ Empire Power Report ] = -
as of Mon Dec 2 15:51:01 2013

sects eff civ mil shell gun pet iron dust oil pln ship unit money
Whodat 424 93% 314K 12K 2.2K 450 4.2K 13K 366 2.6K 137 169 77 54K
12801.14
1 183 94% 130K 12K 1.3K 245 6.7K 4.2K 68 1.5K 56 72 29 7.2K
4551.85
Spider 151 94% 97K 11K 313 100 1.6K 3.0K 2 1.8K 29 95 37 41K
3780.69
CH4 6 60% 3.0K 1.4K 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 -18K
72.80
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
worldwide 764 93% 544K 37K 3.8K 795 13K 20K 436 5.9K 222 343 143 84K

Mon Dec 2 15:50:35 2013
# name tech research education happiness capital
1 1 111.33 0.00 4.05 0.00 40,16
4 CH4 101.22 0.00 5.32 0.00 17,-1
6 Whodat 130.99 0.00 14.79 0.00 -17,15
7 Spider 127.41 0.00 20.86 0.00 52,-20

Marisa Giancarla

Dec 4, 2013, 11:32:54 PM12/4/13
Congrats!

timothy sorenson

Dec 7, 2013, 5:10:31 PM12/7/13
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:32:54 PM UTC-6, Marisa Giancarla wrote:
> Congrats!

So when it the next one?
Message has been deleted

timothy sorenson

Dec 18, 2013, 11:39:24 PM12/18/13
argh.... sooner... but what the heck are standard rules>>>>> I can't drive over and punch out my enemy?

Is the one starting Jan have daily updates? and about what time? and what is the version report and where can I find it(the version) and update schedule? and can we make it a NON-mega ocean game like say rivers say 2 wides everywhere instead and lots of useless land but still land. Lots of mountains, perhaps hidden?

Message has been deleted