NEW: Rulings summary for Jyhad

Tom Wylie

Nov 9, 1994, 4:11:24 PM11/9/94

All of the information herein should be correct. Note that I am not
diligently recording every single ruling, just jotting down what doesn't
seem obvious from card text or rules. New or modified entries since 11/9/94
marked with a +++.

GENERAL RULES

A vampire can only have one title. If it is given another one, the old title
is ignored, even if the new title would be a demotion.
Vampires burned by aggravated damage do not pass through torpor on their
way out.
Action modifiers can be used after everyone has declined to block. This will
not give people a chance to change their minds.
You cannot choose "no strike" as a strike.
Caitiff are clanless.
If a "combat ends" strike is played, the combat ends immediately, so if the
acting minion ends combat, the blocking minion doesn't get a chance to
play a strike.
If multiple players want to do things before range is chosen, the acting
player does something first, then the blocking player, then clockwise
from the acting player.
If a vampire takes a mix of aggravated and normal damage (e.g., Dragon
Breath Rounds), the normal damage is applied first.
If you play a card which gives you votes, you must cast those votes.
Dodges are always strikes, even if a card forgets to say so.
You cannot play a modifier which doesn't match the action being modified.
For example, you can only use Bonding during a bleed.
Contesting a title does not make the vampire as a whole unusable, just
the title.
If you use a titled vampire's votes, then both you and the vampire are
considered to be casting them. For example, using the votes of an untapped
prince to vote against something backed by Scorn of Adonis would result
both in the prince becoming tapped, and in losing a pool.

CARD-SPECIFIC RULINGS

Aaron's Feeding Razor:
An ally can have this, and just won't get any use out of it.

Anarch Troublemaker:
Does not tap when used, or when it changes controller (card text).
Must tap two minions, or none at all.
Can be used when a minion attempts to block, to tap that minion (and another)
and thus prevent it from blocking.

Army of Rats:
Having multiple copies out are not cumulative (errata).

Astrid Thomas:
Tremere can choose to abstain (this is under dispute).

Betrayer:
Each of their turns, the person subjected to Betrayer names a vampire.
If the guess is correct, Betrayer is burned.
Can be damaged by multiple Betrayers each turn.
If the vampire chosen for Betrayer is burned, so is Betrayer.
If the vampire chosen for Betrayer becomes contested, Betrayer is
nullified until the contention is resolved, at which time the Betrayer
is either burned or reactivated as appropriate.

Black Cat:
The lower pool cost is used for purposes of cards such as Peace Treaty.
If she is equipped with something and that equipment is transferred to
another minion, then it regains its normal pool value.
Conversely, if a piece of equipment moves onto her, its effective pool cost
is lowered by 1.

Bonding:
The superior version cannot be used to increase the stealth of a
non-bleed action; action modifiers which modify/replace bleed may
only be used on bleed actions.

Brujah Frenzy:
As with any other "attack a minion" card, the Brujah affected may attack
a tapped minion.

Business Pressure:
Can only be used during a political action. Consider this errata.

Cat Burglary:
The inferior version to just bleed at +1 stealth, maximum of 1 bleed. The
superior version is to bleed any player in this manner (errata).

Chainsaw:
Is not a melee weapon. Yes, we know this makes it inferior to
Sawed-off Shotgun.

Charming Lobby:
Allows the next vote to pass automatically, regardless of what the vote
is for, or who calls the vote.
Blocking an attempted political action will not "use up" the automatic yes.
Current ruling is that a second action ("call a vote") has to be taken
to get the Lobby to work. This is under dispute.

Charnas the Imp:
Does nothing to an empty vampire which untaps in torpor.
Cannot be damaged by host, but does not stop host from using effects which
would normally damage it. For example, the host can use Body of Sun, but
would not damage Charnas as a result.

Claws of the Dead:
Cannot make melee weapon damage aggravated.

Cloak the Gathering:
Its superior ability can be used to aid another minion even while the
modifying vampire is tapped.
Multiple vampires can use its superior version during a single action.

Computer Hacking:
You can use this to bleed anyone (other than yourself).

Cryptic Mission:
Its effect doesn't damage vampires, so cannot send a vampire to torpor.
The superior version will always give a blood to the acting vampire even
if the victim has no blood.

Cryptic Rider:
Blocking an attempted political action will not "use up" the automatic yes.

Dawn Operation:
Causes all damage dealt during the round to be aggravated; for example, it
would make the damage from Lady Thunder's ability aggravated.

Deflection:
Cost is paid from the vampire, not from your pool (errata).

Disarming Presence:
The tapping is a side effect, not a cost, so tapped vampires can still vote.

Domain Challenge:
Tapped minions are counted after the vote is completed.

Dragon Breath Rounds:
The non-aggravated damage is done first, then the aggravated damage is
applied (before the vampire would go to torpor, if it couldn't heal all
the non-aggravated damage).

Drawing out the Beast:
Does 1 damage at end of round, regardless of how the round ends.

Eagle's Sight:
Present ruling is that it allows blocking of unblockable actions. This is
under dispute.

Embrace:
The new vampire will be of the same clan as the sire (unless the sire
is Caitiff).
If no skill card can be found, then the new vampire simply enters play
with no skills.

Fame:
Putting multiple copies on the same vampire is not cumulative (errata).

Flak Jacket:
Yes, a minion can make use of more than one of these.

Form of Mist:
If the superior form is used to continue an action, then all action
modifiers, including stealth and Dawn Operation, are still in effect.
The superior version can be used by a blocking vampire, but this will
not cause the action to be continued.

Freak Drive:
Can be played just after combat ends.

Frenzy:
The press is not optional.

Gangrel De-Evolution:
While its effect is permanent, it is not in play, so cannot be burned, even
if the Methuselah playing it is ousted.

Giant's Blood:
If burned with Sudden Reversal, this still counts as its one play for
the game.

Gird Minions:
May be used on a vampire in torpor.

Glaser Rounds:
Must wait until the second time a given gun is used in a given combat.

Govern the Unaligned:
If the younger vampire is filled up, it still won't come into play until
the end of the influence phase.

Haven Uncovered:
Does not allow its victim to be attacked while its victim is in torpor.

High Stakes:
The last two sentences are talking to each player in turn.

Kine Resources Contested:
At least one damage must be done to each Methuselah chosen.

Madness Network:
If another player's Malkavian takes an action during your turn, you cannot
use reaction cards because it's your turn.
Allows Malkavians to take action at the end of each minion phase.

Major Boon:
You are still the player being bled, even though someone else is losing pool.
For example the player who's losing pool for you may not Deflect the bleed.

Malkavian Dementia:
If you lose control of the Malkavian before your next untap phase, the new
controller retains possession of the Malkavian, even after it gets back
to your untap phase.

Mask of 1000 Faces:
The new vampire takes over the action completely, even if it could not
legally perform that action normally. Any action modifiers remain in
full effect, even if the new vampire could not legally use those modifiers.

Minion Tap:
May be used on a vampire in torpor.

Minor Boon:
The Boon itself saves the vampire from going to torpor; another card
is not necessary.

Monocle of Clarity:
It is highly recommended that the questions pertain directly to the game.

Murder of Crows:
Follows all Wolf Companion rulings, except that the damage can happen
when the combat is at range.

Nosferatu Putresence:
Says to "put it on" the Nosferatu affected, so is in play, and will be
burned if its player is ousted (but cannot be removed otherwise).

Obedience:
Note that Social Charm and Legal Manipulation would be two different
actions (i.e. they're not both "bleed" action), and encountering a
vampire to diablerize would be the "encounter V to diablerize" action,
not simply "encounter some vampire in torpor", so another diablerie
attempt would be possible.
Can be used if blocking vampire is tapped, but this will not untap the
blocking vampire.

Owl Companion:
While its "host" is in combat, any player may look at the hand of the
player controlling the other minion.

Peace Treaty:
Weapons with no cost, including weapons on Black Cat which normally
have a cost of 1, may be kept for free.

Protracted Investment:
See "Short Term Investment" for rulings on this card.

Psyche:
"Do not replace until after combat" cards are replaced before the new
combat begins.

Pulled Fangs:
Used during the press step, and counts up damage successfully inflicted
during the round.
The actions to burn this card may be taken by different vampires, and may
be taken on different turns.

Pulse of the Canaille:
Built-in bleed enchancers will still be cumulative, so a Pulsing Lydia would
bleed for 4.

The Rack:
If the vampire using The Rack is burned, it is stranded until some player
takes control of it.

Rampage:
Since burning one's own location with this card is a directed action, it
would be essentially unblockable by other players; cards such as Eagle's
Sight would be required to block it.

Ritual of the Bitter Rose:
It's very rare that a vampire with blood on it would be burned during
combat, but it can happen (aggravated damage + Amaranth).

Rotschreck:
Cannot be used during your turn.
Any aggravated damage works, even "passive" aggravated damage such as
that done during a Dawn Operation.
Hoses the vampire about to receive the aggravated damage, not the
vampire dealing it (errata, clarification, whatever).

Second Tradition - Domain:
Only usable by a tapped Prince or Justicar. This vampire untaps and
attempts to block at +2 intercept.

Short Term Investment:
If a player has multiple master actions, can take multiple counters off of
Investment(s). This is not possible if an out-of-turn Master card has
been played, as that burns the entire master phase, not just an action.
Because it says "take a counter off *the* Short Term Investment", you
cannot take counters off multiple Investments if you only give up
one master action to do so.

Society Games:
Is only burned if the vampire chooses to let it move on, and there is no
vampire to move it to.

Spying Mission:
When used to add the card to the vampire, will beat Telepathic Counter
since the acting player gets to use modifiers before other players
can use reactions.

Storm Sewers:
Eliminates the "choose range" steps for that combat. Any card which is
played before range is chosen is then played before strikes are chosen.

Sudden Reversal:
The card being Reversed is actually played, and then is burned. So if the
card is only useful once per game (e.g., Giant's Blood) then it's still
used up its one shot per game.
Cannot burn something already in play (*reversal*).

Talbot's Chainsaw:
Is not a melee weapon.

Third Tradition - Progeny:
See "Embrace" for rulings on the vampire which enters play.

Uriah Winter:
Can still defect if in torpor, and will remain in torpor if he does so.

Vast Wealth:
If this action is taken, the acting player must attempt to pay for the
weapon so retrieved. If she cannot, then she is ousted.

Wolf Claws:
Cannot make melee weapon damage aggravated.

Wolf Companion:
The damage is not a strike, so cannot be prevented by a dodge.
The damage is done during normal damage dealing, so a Combat Ends will
stop it, as will sending its controller to torpor during first strike.
Only does damage at close range.
Does not gain any additional strikes of its controller.
As with any retainer, the number of lives is set when it is recruited, and
will not change if its controller's level of Animalism changes.

Zip Gun:
Ammo cards just modify the strike, not the damage done to the wielder.

Michael Constant

Nov 10, 1994, 5:05:43 PM11/10/94
In article <39rdts$s...@perv.hal.COM>, Tom Wylie <aa...@hal.COM> wrote:
>Eagle's Sight:
> Present ruling is that it allows blocking of unblockable actions. This is
> under dispute.

Why is this? It seems to me, from the card text, that the reacting vampire
would *attempt* to block the unblockable action, fail, and the action would
continue just as if the acting vampire had had too much stealth.
--
Michael Constant (mco...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu)

Tom Wylie

Nov 10, 1994, 8:43:21 PM11/10/94
Michael Constant <mco...@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>>Eagle's Sight:
>> Present ruling is that it allows blocking of unblockable actions. This is
>> under dispute.
>Why is this? It seems to me, from the card text, that the reacting vampire
>would *attempt* to block the unblockable action, fail, and the action would
>continue just as if the acting vampire had had too much stealth.

I don't know why they ruled at first that Eagle's Sight would allow blocking of
unblockable actions, but they have since changed their minds (whew!).
Eagle's Sight, Anneke, and so on won't allow a vampire to block in spite
of Day Operation, Seduction, etc.

Tom Wylie rec.games.deckmaster Network Representative for
aa...@hal.com Wizards of the Coast, Inc.