Tom: Draw phase and more...

ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu

Aug 6, 1994, 4:01:59 AM8/6/94
Tom,

Go fig, some questions:

1. Can there be more one draw phase in a turn? Asked another way,
when effects from cards like Braingeyser or Wheel of Fortune
resolve, is drawing the cards considered a 'draw phase'. If it
is a draw phase, then Howling Mine would cause the player(s) to
draw an extra card, Chains of Mephistopheles wouldn't kick in
until the second card drawn, and Underworld Dreams would be even
more nasty!

2. If there were two Chains of Mephistopheles in play, would each
player then have to discard two cards to draw one (barring the
first card drawn)?

3. An opponent tried to cripple my black vise with Sleight of Mind
changing 'Black Vise' to 'Red Vise' in the text box. Thus, there
was no Red Vice in play to squeeze him, since the name of the card
was still Black Vice. My question: is a color word in the text
box a legal target for SoM, or are name words invalid targets?

Thanks,
Neal

David DeLaney

Aug 8, 1994, 7:48:55 AM8/8/94
ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu writes:
>Tom,
>
>Go fig, some questions:
>
>1. Can there be more one draw phase in a turn? Asked another way,
> when effects from cards like Braingeyser or Wheel of Fortune
> resolve, is drawing the cards considered a 'draw phase'. If it
> is a draw phase, then Howling Mine would cause the player(s) to
> draw an extra card, Chains of Mephistopheles wouldn't kick in
> until the second card drawn, and Underworld Dreams would be even
> more nasty!

Only one draw phase per turn, thanks; any other time you're just drawing cards.

>2. If there were two Chains of Mephistopheles in play, would each
> player then have to discard two cards to draw one (barring the
> first card drawn)?

Not sure; I'd say no, looking at the text (like two Channels don't do
anything more for you than one), but I'll defer to Tom.

>3. An opponent tried to cripple my black vise with Sleight of Mind
> changing 'Black Vise' to 'Red Vise' in the text box. Thus, there
> was no Red Vice in play to squeeze him, since the name of the card
> was still Black Vice. My question: is a color word in the text
> box a legal target for SoM, or are name words invalid targets?

A color word in the text box is a legal target for SoM *and* name words are
invalid targets. Name words are not mana-color words or card-color words, they
are just adjectives in the name. You specifically cannot Sleight "Black Vise"
to read "<foo> Vise", or Hack "Lady of the Mountain" to read "Lady of the
Plains", etc. Also, wherever a card's name appears in its text box, it should
be considered shorthand for "this card"...

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. Disclaimer: IMHO; VRbeableFUTPLEX

Tom Wylie

Aug 8, 1994, 5:24:09 PM8/8/94
<ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu> wrote:
>1. Can there be more one draw phase in a turn?...

No.

> when effects from cards like Braingeyser or Wheel of Fortune

> resolve, is drawing the cards considered a 'draw phase'...

No, they create a series of "draw/discard steps". Each such step consists
of drawing or discarding a single card, and only effects that modify drawing
or discarding (as appropriate) may be used.

> Howling Mine would cause the player(s) to
> draw an extra card, Chains of Mephistopheles wouldn't kick in
> until the second card drawn, and Underworld Dreams would be even
> more nasty!

Howling Mine won't kick in during such a step. Chains applies during
all draw steps except the first during a draw phase. Underworld Dreams does
1 damage during each and every draw step.

>2. If there were two Chains of Mephistopheles in play, would each
> player then have to discard two cards to draw one (barring the
> first card drawn)?

Yes.

>3. An opponent tried to cripple my black vise with Sleight of Mind
> changing 'Black Vise' to 'Red Vise' in the text box. Thus, there
> was no Red Vice in play to squeeze him, since the name of the card
> was still Black Vice. My question: is a color word in the text
> box a legal target for SoM, or are name words invalid targets?

Card names are invalid targets for Sleight of Mind and Magical Hack.
So no Mountain Sanctuaries, either.

Tom Wylie rec.games.deckmaster Network Representative for
aa...@hal.com Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu

Aug 9, 1994, 5:17:58 AM8/9/94
In article <3267pp$o...@perv.hal.COM>, aa...@hal.COM (Tom Wylie) writes:
> <ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu> wrote:
>>1. Can there be more one draw phase in a turn?...
>
> No.

[snip]

> Chains applies during
> all draw steps except the first during a draw phase.

Odd. This seems to be saying that if Chains of Mephistopheles were
out and somebody Wheel of Fortuned, the first card drawn due to Wheel
will not be discarded due to Chains. But the text on Chains refers
to the first card drawn in 'the draw phase', and if there is only one
'draw phase' per turn, how can Chains affect the first card drawn
from the Wheel, and Howling Mine not cause an extra card to be drawn?
The Mine also refers to 'the draw phase'. On none of these cards are
the words 'the draw phase' capitalized or such to signify The Draw Phase
(following upkeep of course). So clearly I am thoroughly confused and
running on with my sentences.

To sum up: Are we supposed to play Chains of M as intended and not
as worded?

Thanks,
Neal

Tom Wylie

Aug 9, 1994, 4:53:51 PM8/9/94
<ocon...@cnsvax.uwec.edu> wrote:
>> Chains applies during
>> all draw steps except the first during a draw phase.
>Odd. This seems to be saying that if Chains of Mephistopheles were
>out and somebody Wheel of Fortuned, the first card drawn due to Wheel
>will not be discarded due to Chains.

Wheel of Fortune can't be used during the draw phase. Therefore, the
clause on Chains of Mephistopheles exempting the first card drawn during
the draw phase (i.e., the first draw/discard step during the draw phase)
does not apply to Wheel of Fortune. All 7 cards you would have drawn
from the Wheel go to the graveyard instead.

>But the text on Chains refers
>to the first card drawn in 'the draw phase', and if there is only one
>'draw phase' per turn, how can Chains affect the first card drawn
>from the Wheel, and Howling Mine not cause an extra card to be drawn?
>The Mine also refers to 'the draw phase'. On none of these cards are
>the words 'the draw phase' capitalized or such to signify The Draw Phase
>(following upkeep of course). So clearly I am thoroughly confused and
>running on with my sentences.

I think you're confusing "draw phase" and "draw/discard step". A draw/discard
step is like a damage prevention step, and happens whenever it's necessarily,
not at a rigidly defined point during the turn. The draw phase is rigidly
defined, and the Chains do not apply to the first draw/discard step during
the draw phase. This step can be either the card you draw for free, or the
card you draw from the Mine, at your discretion; it really doesn't matter
which one you take first, it gets exempted. The second one will then be
subject to the restriction of the Chains.