U7b & Strange places

Olivier Marcoux

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?
Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?
Is there a way to go there without cheating?

On this isle there is a stairs that brings you to the realm of dreams
Once there without falling asleep, you cannot escape via the Pillar of
Flames. The only way I found is to be killed and you come back to Gorlab
Swamp losing all you equipment.. Did someone find another way to escape
the realm of dreams?

If you cheat to go east of monitor and follow the beach you will get
to a teleporter that brings you to ruins. something to do there?
(teleporter is at 7C9 A1E)

What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
with it
I know that Selina has one she "uses" to escape the ambush
There is one in a tree at 363 92B
I think I found one during the game (perhaps in the mountains of
freedom)
There is also one on an island at 828 9CF. By the way what is this
island ??

Other interesting places are:
-2E9 463: climb the stairs, stack the crates to complete the stairs
(like in the mountains of freedom) and you will reach a viewpoint in
the mountain with a statue and... skeletons
-943 0A8: this is another viewpoint in the mountain
it seems to be part of the claw isle (when you go down you'll be
teleported to a place inside claw isle that is not designed yet)
Sounds like another part of the game the creators abandonned

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
> What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?
> Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?
> Is there a way to go there without cheating?

AFAIK this is in SI, not in BG - the Cat's isle. The teleport to there is in
one
of the gardens in Monitor. The island itself is south to Moonshade.

Max

Sabine van der Horst

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Which garden in Monitor and how do you use it?
Maxim S. Shatskih heeft geschreven in bericht <7mcrh4$lt$5...@ns.mtu.ru>...

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
> Which garden in Monitor and how do you use it?

Switch cheat mode on & you will see the teleporter egg in one of the
gardens. BTW - it is described in some document which can
be found on the web. Look here - one of these links will lead you to
the document.

http://www.bos.nl/homes/fridael/ultima/reslib/resource/101-9.htm

Max

Wayfarer

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Olivier Marcoux wrote:

> What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?

Dunno. But I believe it's an homage to one "Dr. Cat" of Ultima fame...

> Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?

In the Magister's building in Moonshade, there is a scroll(?) that describes
experiments performed on cats. That's about the only thing I can link to the
island.

> Is there a way to go there without cheating?

IIRC, the teleport egg is behind a tree in a garden in Monitor. You might
have to stand on a crate to get it to activate.

> On this isle there is a stairs that brings you to the realm of dreams
> Once there without falling asleep, you cannot escape via the Pillar of
> Flames. The only way I found is to be killed and you come back to Gorlab
> Swamp losing all you equipment.. Did someone find another way to escape
> the realm of dreams?

I don't know any other ways--unless you haven't completed the quest to squish
Rabindranath (or whatever his name is). If you've yet to save the people of
Gorlab, perhaps completing that quest will allow you to leave unscathed. (But
I haven't tested this, so be careful!)

> If you cheat to go east of monitor and follow the beach you will get
> to a teleporter that brings you to ruins. something to do there?
> (teleporter is at 7C9 A1E)

Are these ruins surrounded by cows? If so, the teleporter takes you deep
within the shrine of Chaos (IIRC). Nothing much to do there, especially since
you arrive on the wrong side of locked doors.

> What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
> with it

It's just a prop, AFAIK. And a nice trophy, once you've vanquished Selina.

> I know that Selina has one she "uses" to escape the ambush
> There is one in a tree at 363 92B
> I think I found one during the game (perhaps in the mountains of
> freedom)
> There is also one on an island at 828 9CF. By the way what is this
> island ??

Hmm, never seen this before. Thank for the tip! :)

> Other interesting places are:
> -2E9 463: climb the stairs, stack the crates to complete the stairs
> (like in the mountains of freedom) and you will reach a viewpoint in
> the mountain with a statue and... skeletons

Been there. Kinda spooky, isn't it? Wish I knew the story behind it...

> -943 0A8: this is another viewpoint in the mountain
> it seems to be part of the claw isle (when you go down you'll be
> teleported to a place inside claw isle that is not designed yet)
> Sounds like another part of the game the creators abandonned

Possibly could be... Wish I could get my hands on that source code... 8)

--

\ / Supernova Dragon -==<UDIC>==- d++e+N+T--Om++U1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!A!L!
- * - a.k.a. Telerandil the Wayfarer u+++uC++uF+++uG++++uLB+uA++nC++nR-nHnPn
/ \ jl0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu I--nPTnS+++nTwM+wC++wS-wI++wN+ y a19

rus...@wku.edu

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <37891DF2...@polymtl.ca>, Olivier Marcoux <olivier...@polymtl.ca> writes:

> What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?
> Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?

No it is not mentioned in the game, however there is an interesting
book on cats that sheds a very faint light on what it possibly was
ment to become. Claw, or Cat Island was ment to be another Kilrathi
(from Wing Commander) tie in. We saw in U7a a Kilrathi ship. In U7b
perhaps there was ment to be an actual Kilrathi character that was
trying to highten the intelegence of the local cat population. I also
wonder if the cat creature in the Silver Seed add-on was originally
ment to be someone else.

If there is ever a remake of Serpent Isle I hope this quest as well as
many other loose ended quests is put back into the plot of the game.
If half of what I heard is true from the creators, we got half of what
the original plot of SI was ment to be....as good as it was...

Graciously,

Grimlock Dragon

Paulon

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
As Olivier Marcoux speaks, the words sprout from the ground and grow into
vines, recording them in living beauty...

> What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?

Um, a cheat room? ;-)

Actually the map of SI is that of the Lands of Danger and Despair from
U1, and there was an island there in the original game, so there still
has to be one there now. Much of the plot relates to the original place
names from U1 as well, in this case the current Claw Isle was the site of
a dungeon named Dead Cat's Life II. Hence the feline theme...

> Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?

As has been said elsewhere there is a tale of a temple where cats were
experimented on to give them extra lives.

> Is there a way to go there without cheating?

There is a clearing in a park in Monitor. You need to put three crates
out, to make a step up to a teleporter which transports you there. The
teleporter on Claw takes you back to the same general area I think.

> On this isle there is a stairs that brings you to the realm of dreams
> Once there without falling asleep, you cannot escape via the Pillar of
> Flames. The only way I found is to be killed and you come back to Gorlab
> Swamp losing all you equipment.. Did someone find another way to escape
> the realm of dreams?

Give all your items to another party member and I think you can get them
back after you die.

> What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
> with it

By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.

> I know that Selina has one she "uses" to escape the ambush
> There is one in a tree at 363 92B
> I think I found one during the game (perhaps in the mountains of
> freedom)
> There is also one on an island at 828 9CF. By the way what is this
> island ??

I think it's a space filler (why have a big blank space when you can put
something in it?

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer.
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II XVI

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
> By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
> noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
> Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.

Very strange. And is there any way in SI of using magic before Moonshade?
Avatar has no spellbook! It will get one in Moonshade only - am I right?

Max

PyngThyng

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Paulon wrote:
> > What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
> > with it
>
> By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
> noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
> Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.

*sigh* I can't help thinking that the Blink spell was originally meant
to work once you got the Blink Ring. You can get the Blink spell for the
spellbook (although it never works). There is much in Serpent Isle which
doesn't seem to serve much purpose other that scenery and may have had a
more important role in the original game. There was an awful lot left
out of the game in the interests of getting it out on time. Which is
something that Origin isn't apparently worried about with U9 :). Is this
a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? Only time will tell.
--
Background Dragon
aka PyngThyng

"The way I see it, logic is just a way of being ignorant by numbers."
Small Gods, Terry Pratchett

"I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now I find it
weird and frightening. And one day, It'll happen to YOU!"
Abe "Grampa" Simpson, The Simpsons

HelgrazB

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
>> > What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
>> > with it
>>
>> By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
>> noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
>> Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.
>
>*sigh* I can't help thinking that the Blink spell was originally meant
>to work once you got the Blink Ring. You can get the Blink spell for the
>spellbook (although it never works). There is much in Serpent Isle which
>doesn't seem to serve much purpose other that scenery and may have had a
>more important role in the original game. There was an awful lot left
>out of the game in the interests of getting it out on time. Which is
>something that Origin isn't apparently worried about with U9 :). Is this
>a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? Only time will tell.

Someone (Gustachio) in a scroll (I think) commented on how Blink either failed
(9 times out of 10) or when it "succeeded" basically tore the person casting it
apart.

This is how I visualized the matter :

Selina (Celennia) works for the Guardian / Batlin. The Guardian, as we all
know, is capable of mana weaving on a tremedous scale - and to some extent,
Batlin can draw on this (I presume that's how he maintains his
pseudo-immortality and ability to capture the banes in the game)

Batlin/Guardian contracts Selina to assassinate the Avatar - and since she
might prove useful later, stabilizes the Blink spell on her ring for her use.

Regular blink spells still have the Gustachio problem (failure or catastrophie)
and the ring only works for Selina (Batlin, not being stupid, realizes Selina
may fail - and does not want a functioning Blink ring falling into the Avatar's
hands)

Which wraps things up rather neatly to my mind.
Helgraf Dragon, the NSA Dragon
d++ e+ N T+ Om+ U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!KA!L!

u+++ uC++ uF uG++ uLB+ uA+ nC+ nH+ nP nI+ nS++ nT
oA++
y++ a24 - or 1,600 depending on opinion
((If you see the Void, remove it to reply))

Ken Rice

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
In article <7mf7ls$pcv$1...@ns.mtu.ru>, maxi...@mtu-net.ru says...

>> By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
>> noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
>> Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.

>Very strange. And is there any way in SI of using magic before Moonshade?

>Avatar has no spellbook! It will get one in Moonshade only - am I right?

You can cast spells at the beginning of the game, before the first lightning
storms steals your spellbook and other items. Not that it is very useful to do
so.

http://www.erols.com/kennrice = Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice = Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2,
= Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire &
= Crusaders of Dark Savant.
http://members.xoom.com/CWRTDC = Civil War Round Table of DC

Paulon

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
As Maxim S. Shatskih speaks, the words sprout from the ground and grow
into vines, recording them in living beauty...
> > By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
> > noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
> > Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.
>
> Very strange. And is there any way in SI of using magic before Moonshade?
> Avatar has no spellbook! It will get one in Moonshade only - am I right?

Not without cheating or using a scroll, and the spell doesn't work before
you get to Moonshade, making Selina's use of her ring a plot hole.
The spell's probably one one of the things they cut in the rush to
release the game.

Olivier Marcoux

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

rus...@wku.edu wrote:

> In article <37891DF2...@polymtl.ca>, Olivier Marcoux <olivier...@polymtl.ca> writes:
> >

> > What is the point about CLAW ISLE ?

> > Is it mentionned somewhere in the game ?
>

> No it is not mentioned in the game, however there is an interesting
> book on cats that sheds a very faint light on what it possibly was
> ment to become. Claw, or Cat Island was ment to be another Kilrathi
> (from Wing Commander) tie in. We saw in U7a a Kilrathi ship. In U7b
> perhaps there was ment to be an actual Kilrathi character that was
> trying to highten the intelegence of the local cat population. I also
> wonder if the cat creature in the Silver Seed add-on was originally
> ment to be someone else.

ohh!! there is a cat creature in SS add-on ??
i understand why I found (in FACES.VGA) the face of a cat creature that
does not appear in my version of the game...

Olivier Marcoux

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

Paulon wrote:

> As Olivier Marcoux speaks, the words sprout from the ground and grow into

> vines, recording them in living beauty...
>

> > On this isle there is a stairs that brings you to the realm of dreams
> > Once there without falling asleep, you cannot escape via the Pillar of
> > Flames. The only way I found is to be killed and you come back to Gorlab
> > Swamp losing all you equipment.. Did someone find another way to escape
> > the realm of dreams?
>
> Give all your items to another party member and I think you can get them
> back after you die.

yep, and by the way, i just found a hint page explaining that if you
cast
Serpend Bond before entering the swamp, you will get your companions
back
when you're no longer a serpent... and it works!... and here too you can
give objects to a party member...

> > What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
> > with it
>

> By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
> noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
> Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.

you mean the blink spell does work somewhere else ?

> > I know that Selina has one she "uses" to escape the ambush
> > There is one in a tree at 363 92B
> > I think I found one during the game (perhaps in the mountains of
> > freedom)
> > There is also one on an island at 828 9CF. By the way what is this
> > island ??
>
> I think it's a space filler (why have a big blank space when you can put
> something in it?

I thought it was some kind a place like the room where the dead NPC are
transported.. but seems not...
about big blank space, there is a lot of unused water space in the South
East corner of the map (this is maybe the place that is filled when you
install Silver Seed)

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
> I thought it was some kind a place like the room where the dead NPC are
> transported.. but seems not...
> about big blank space, there is a lot of unused water space in the South
> East corner of the map (this is maybe the place that is filled when you
> install Silver Seed)

The House of the Dead in SI is in South West corner - the house hangs in
space. You can find Simon, Shmed etc. there. Also there is a strange
queen-like aggressive woman there (I think she is mage from Moonshade).
Also there is Boydon there.
Also there is a Vampire dressed in blue in a separate room there. The
game hangs if you will try to talk with him....

Certainly, all this stuff is accessible via cheat only.

Max

Paulon

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
As Olivier Marcoux speaks, the words sprout from the ground and grow into
vines, recording them in living beauty...

> Paulon wrote:

> > > What is the meaning of the blink ring ? It seems you cannot do anything
> > > with it
> >
> > By the time you get to Moonshade the Blink spell no longer works (found
> > noted in a scroll somewhere - either with Gustacio or on the Mad Mage's
> > Isle IIRC), thus the ring no longer operates by the time you get it.
>
> you mean the blink spell does work somewhere else ?

Selina uses the Blink Ring to leave after she sets you up for the ambush
at the Mint. She _says_ she is using the ring to escape, thus the Blink
Ring is _supposedly_ working at that point. That's just a plot device
though - it's never done anything for me, regardless of when I had it.

Patrick Mcginley

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
I seem to recall Paulon babbling somthing about:
: As Olivier Marcoux speaks, the words sprout from the ground and grow into
: vines, recording them in living beauty...

: Selina uses the Blink Ring to leave after she sets you up for the ambush

: at the Mint. She _says_ she is using the ring to escape, thus the Blink
: Ring is _supposedly_ working at that point. That's just a plot device
: though - it's never done anything for me, regardless of when I had it.

Yeah and if you steal it from her before the ambush as a pre-emptive
strike, she still *uses* it. I was ready to turn the tables on that
back-stabber - DENIED!
--
The northern lights, the neons signs, the progress that ruined once quiet
nights - they raped the past and sold it back, on restaurant menus and

Wayfarer

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

> > I thought it was some kind a place like the room where the dead NPC are
> > transported.. but seems not...
> > about big blank space, there is a lot of unused water space in the South
> > East corner of the map (this is maybe the place that is filled when you
> > install Silver Seed)

Well, almost correct. The Silver Seed seems to take up a couple rows or so
off the bottom of the map. In the southeast is mostly Furnace and the
Gargoyle city there.

> The House of the Dead in SI is in South West corner - the house hangs in
> space. You can find Simon, Shmed etc. there. Also there is a strange
> queen-like aggressive woman there (I think she is mage from Moonshade).

The House of the Dead is actually in the northwest. As for the aggressive
woman, I _think_ it's Rotoluncia of Moonshade, though I can't be certain.

> Also there is Boydon there.
> Also there is a Vampire dressed in blue in a separate room there. The
> game hangs if you will try to talk with him....

That's good old Vasculio. Rather nasty fellow.

> Certainly, all this stuff is accessible via cheat only.

AFAIK, that's true.

--

\ / Supernova Dragon -==<UDIC>==- d++e+N+T--Om++U1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!A!L!
- * - a.k.a. Telerandil the Wayfarer u+++uC++uF+++uG++++uLB+uA++nC++nR-nHnPn

/ \ jl0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu I--nPTnS+++nTwM+wC++wS-wI++wN+ y a20

Hai Wong

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
In article <7mgi3i$klq$1...@ns.mtu.ru>,

"Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxi...@mtu-net.ru> wrote:

> The House of the Dead in SI is in South West corner - the house hangs
> in space.

I remember quite clearly(but not positively) that the place dead NPC's
were stored in was near the northwest corner of the map. Maybe the
Silver Seed add-on moved it.

> You can find Simon, Shmed etc. there. Also there is a strange
> queen-like aggressive woman there (I think she is mage from
> Moonshade).

> Also there is Boydon there.
> Also there is a Vampire dressed in blue in a separate room there. The
> game hangs if you will try to talk with him....

That's Vasculio(sp?) I think.

Hai Wong

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Patrick Mcginley

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I seem to recall Ken Rice babbling somthing about:
: In article <7mf7ls$pcv$1...@ns.mtu.ru>, maxi...@mtu-net.ru says...

: You can cast spells at the beginning of the game, before the first lightning

: storms steals your spellbook and other items. Not that it is very useful to do
: so.

Has anyone ever killed their party members before the first visit by
Karnax and whaterface? Is it possible before they get struck by lightning
- interparty combat? You know, take all their armor, and beat them
senseless?

JP Morris

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Patrick Mcginley wrote:

> I seem to recall Ken Rice babbling somthing about:
> : In article <7mf7ls$pcv$1...@ns.mtu.ru>, maxi...@mtu-net.ru says...
>
> : You can cast spells at the beginning of the game, before the first lightning
> : storms steals your spellbook and other items. Not that it is very useful to do
> : so.

I can't 'cause I haven't got any reagents!

> Has anyone ever killed their party members before the first visit by
> Karnax and whaterface? Is it possible before they get struck by lightning
> - interparty combat? You know, take all their armor, and beat them
> senseless?

Death by starvation. Punching the bunnies to get them into a frenzy
also works, but may take 30 minutes or more.

--
* JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- DOU...@bigfoot.com
*

Ken Rice

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
In article <378E674E...@HotPOP.com>, jpmo...@HotPOP.com says...

>Patrick Mcginley wrote:

>>I seem to recall Ken Rice babbling somthing about:
>>:In article <7mf7ls$pcv$1...@ns.mtu.ru>, maxi...@mtu-net.ru says...

>>:You can cast spells at the beginning of the game, before the first lightning
>>:storms steals your spellbook and other items. Not that it is very useful to
>>:do so.

>I can't 'cause I haven't got any reagents!

That would make it difficult to cast spells. I never tried it, but just thought
since the party had been eguipped so well at the beginning, reagents would have
been included.

Wayfarer

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Patrick Mcginley wrote:

> I seem to recall Ken Rice babbling somthing about:
> : In article <7mf7ls$pcv$1...@ns.mtu.ru>, maxi...@mtu-net.ru says...
>
> : You can cast spells at the beginning of the game, before the first lightning
> : storms steals your spellbook and other items. Not that it is very useful to do
> : so.
>
> Has anyone ever killed their party members before the first visit by
> Karnax and whaterface? Is it possible before they get struck by lightning
> - interparty combat? You know, take all their armor, and beat them
> senseless?

It _is_ possible. Just use the "Iolo effect." Take the burst arrows (and the
bow, of course), back off a bit, and fire in their general direction--isn't it
amazing how badly you can hurt your own party members? 8) Taking their
armour tends to help.

IIRC, when I tried it, I got my party members back at appropriate points in
the storyline... Though they were none too talkative. In fact, they just
stood where they appeared. Must've been a traumatic experience for them...

Olivier Marcoux

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
strange, for me the house of the dead is at North West corner...
(no silver seed)

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

> > I thought it was some kind a place like the room where the dead NPC are
> > transported.. but seems not...
> > about big blank space, there is a lot of unused water space in the South
> > East corner of the map (this is maybe the place that is filled when you
> > install Silver Seed)
>

> The House of the Dead in SI is in South West corner - the house hangs in

> space. You can find Simon, Shmed etc. there. Also there is a strange

> queen-like aggressive woman there (I think she is mage from Moonshade).
> Also there is Boydon there.
> Also there is a Vampire dressed in blue in a separate room there. The
> game hangs if you will try to talk with him....
>

> Certainly, all this stuff is accessible via cheat only.
>

> Max

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
> strange, for me the house of the dead is at North West corner...
> (no silver seed)

Unfortunately, I was unable to run U7SI without SS due to "run-time terra
morph" error. Only installing SS solved the problem.

Max

Olivier Marcoux

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
I don't have SS and i get often the same error...
the only way I found to fix the error is to use the original floppy
disks and completely reinstall the game

Maxim S. Shatskih

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
> I don't have SS and i get often the same error...
> the only way I found to fix the error is to use the original floppy
> disks and completely reinstall the game

Looks like the bug in EXE.
SS possibly contains a newer build of the EXE.

Max