Deathmatch '95

Robert E. Huntley

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95

Rules for Deathmatch '95

Registration
============

TO PARTICIPATE YOU MUST OWN A REGISTERED COPY OF EACH THE FOLLOWING:

HERETIC (V1.2)
DOOM II (V1.9)
THE ULTIMATE DOOM

...and the DWANGO client software.

Registration will be held Monday, September 18th through Friday, September
29th on the registration BBS at 713 467-5627.

Your randomly selected opponent, scheduled match time and date will also
be available on the registration BBS ( see schedule of postings under Match
Information ).

BEFORE CALLING TO REGISTER YOU MUST HAVE A VALID DWANGO ACCOUNT.

- Call 713-467-5627 to register.

- Match information (including opponent and scheduled
play time & date will be posted on the registration BBS.

- After you are registered call the tournament BBS
beginning October 1st for schedules of play.

- For information on how to create a valid DWANGO account
call DWANGO Tekops at 713 467 0405

Each player may only register for tournament play once.

You will be required to provide the following information for registration:

DWANGO server location where you want to compete (area code).
(If the server you select is "FULL" you may select another from your
region).

Of course you must first create a DWANGO account on that server.

Tournament Match
================

Upon completion of registration you will receive VIP status at the server on
which you are competeting on. You will maintain VIP status as long as you
move up in the tournament. VIP status allows for unlimited play on DWANGO
throughout your active partcipation in the tournament.

Competition throughout the tournament will be between two players in each
match. The winner from each server will be brought to Seattle for the
finals to be held on October 30 to compete for the Championship.

All tournament play will occur on Saturday and Sunday between the hours of
NOON and 4 pm. Any player that does not complete a scheduled match will
not advance in the tournament.

Each server will hold as many rounds as needed to produce one winner.

Your first match may not begin in Round One. The first match will be
determined by the total number of registered contestants on each server.

NOTE: The following prizes are subject to change.

The finalist from each server will win:

- Three-month VIP membership on DWANGO
- A copy of Hexen, the sequel to Heretic
- A tournament t-shirt
- A trip to Seattle to compete in the final rounds
of Deathmatch '95

The runner-up in Seattle will win:

- Six-month VIP membership on DWANGO
- Sound card, Video Accelerator card and a joystick

The first-place finisher in Seattle will win:

- One-year VIP membership on their DWANGO server
- STATE OF THE ART MULTIMEDIA GAME SYSTEM PENTIUM PC
- Lifetime supply of games by id Software

Teams will be randomly assigned a episode/map in Heretic and The Ultimate
DOOM and a map in DOOM II to play. If both contestants agree, another
episode/map may be selected.

Tournament rounds will consist of three five-minute matches of registered
Heretic, The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II. YOU MUST OWN ALL THREE GAMES.
Matches will be played in succession in any order. You will have a 30
minute window to complete all three game matches. Failure to play all 3
matches in the scheduled time will result in disqualification. The player
with the most combined frags out of the three matches wins. In the event
of a match tie, play will continue until a tie breaking frag is scored.
At the end of the match game you will receive a message in the game telling
you to stop play.

Match Schedule
==============

Round One..............Saturday October 7th 1995 and Sunday October 8th 1995

Round Two..............Saturday October 14th 1995

Round Three............Sunday October 15th 1995

Rounds Four to Seven...Saturday October 21st 1995

Round Eight............Sunday October 22nd 1995
(Qualify one winner per server)
The winner from each server will go to Seattle
for the playoffs.

Playoffs...............Monday October 30th 1995 in Seattle, Washington

Match Information
================

All information pertaining to the first three rounds (including opponent
and play schedule) will be posted on the registration BBS at 713 467-5627.

Match Information Schedule

Round Post date
----- -------------------
One October 1 1995 6PM

Two October 15 1995 6PM

Three October 21 1995 6PM

Match information for rounds Four, Five, Six and Seven will be posted on each
server and will be coordinated by online tournament coordinators.

Round Eight match information will be posted on the registration BBS.

The Playoff matchups will be announced in Seattle.

General Rules
=============

Cheating or causing any disturbances in the tournament will result in
immediate disqualification.

Servers will be assigned a maximum number of players based on the capacity of
the server. IVS Corp. reserves the right to suspend registration at any time.
Total number of entrants is left to the sole discretion of IVS Corp.

Employees of IVS/DWANGO, id Software, Microsoft, and GT Interactive Software,
their suppliers, affiliates, agencies, participating retailers, and their
families living in the same household are not eligible.

Failure to show up at your agreed upon time with an opponent will result in
disqualification. In these cases, the absent player will be replaced with
the most recent player that was eliminated from a previous round.

Please limit all tournament practice to the following schedule:

Monday - Friday 2:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 2:00 am to Noon

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
========================

For the purposes of this disclaimer, Interactive Visual Systems Corporation,
DWANGO, INC., Dwango of California, Inc., Dwango Franchise Sales, Inc., and
their affiliates, employees, agents, officers, directors, principals,
licensors, and anyone else involved in the business of creating, producing or
distributing the DWANGO Client Software or the DWANGO Network Service shall
be collectively referred to as "IVS". The DWANGO Client Software and the
DWANGO Network Service shall be hereinafter referred to as the "Software"
and the "Service", respectively. IVS provides the Software and the Service
on an "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE" basis, without warranties of any kind, either
express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of
merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and
non-infringement, other than those implied warranties precluded from
exclusion by the laws of some states. The entire risk as to the Software
and the Service is borne solely by the user. Should the Software or the
Service prove defective, the user, and not IVS, assumes the entire cost of
any service and repair. No oral advice or written information given by IVS
shall create a warranty, nor shall any user rely on any such information or
advice.

Under no circumstances and under no theory at law, whether contract, tort,
including negligence, or otherwise, shall IVS be liable to a user or any
person for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential
damages of any character or kind that result from the user or inability
to use the Software or the Service, including, without limitation, reliance
by a user on information obtained on the Service, or that results from
mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files or e-mail, errors,
defects, viruses, delays in operation or transmission, or any failure of
performance, whether or not limited to acts of God, communications failure,
theft, or destruction.

User expressly agrees that use of the Software and the Service is at user's
sole risk. IVS neither represents nor warrants that the Service will be
uninterrupted or error free; nor does it make any representation or warranty
as to the results that may be obtained from the user of the Software or the
Service, or as to the accuracy, reliability or content of any information
or service provided by or through the Service. IVS makes no representations
or warranties, either express or implied, that any available access number
to a Service Game Server will be a local call from your area code and
exchange.

Because some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability
for consequential or incidental damages, in such states IVS's liability is
limited to the greatest extent allowed by law. Notwithstanding the foregoing,
in no event shall the total liability of IVS for all damages, losses and
causes of action, whether in contract, tort, including negligence, or
otherwise, either jointly or severally, exceed the aggregate dollar amount
paid by the user to IVS during the twelve (12) month period preceding the
date of the claimed injury or damage.

With regard to Deathmatch '95 (hereinafter referred to as the "Tournament"),
in addition to the disclaimers set forth above, IVS further makes no
representations or warranties with regard to:
(1) the number and/or identity of participants in the Tournament; (2) the
number of games any participant in the Tournament might or might not
play; (3) availability of particular user names; (4) the particular games,
episodes and/or maps to which participants will be assigned for Tournament
play; and (5) assignment of participants to any particular game server(s).
Any violation of Tournament rules may result in disqualification of a
participant.

Nick Lindert

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95

This sounds really cool! Now mabye the closet doomers will come out
and play for the chance to give the finger to Microsoft up close! :O

Hehe. Hey: if I won on 2 different servers, could I bring a friend
to Seattle? :)

Of course, some servers are easier to win than others.... SF looks
a lot easier than San Jose at this point (thresh at San Jose could
take it all) since San Fran has all but died.

I wonder if Merlock and Chunkk will get on the dwango bandwagon for
the chance to win a trip to seattle? Oh, I forgot, they only play
well on levels 1 and 7. ;)

What levels will this tourney be on? Hopefully it won't be run
exclusively on doom2 levels cause those are terrible for deathmatch.
Later.
--
Nick Lindert
nlin...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

Lance Lancaster

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
In article <43q9pk$7...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
nlin...@imref.EECS.Berkeley.EDU says...

>Of course, some servers are easier to win than others.... SF looks
>a lot easier than San Jose at this point (thresh at San Jose could
>take it all) since San Fran has all but died.

I heard Arakis is pretty good in San Francisco. Have you played him?

>I wonder if Merlock and Chunkk will get on the dwango bandwagon for
>the chance to win a trip to seattle? Oh, I forgot, they only play
>well on levels 1 and 7. ;)

Merlock resides in Dallas now, and I have heard from a few people who
know him that you can almost bet on the fact that he will be playing in
it. I would also assume Xoleras will be competing on the Phoenix
server. Wouldn't it be great to see a Merlock vs. Xoleras matchup in
Seattle? (I would rather see THAT live and in person than a Superbowl!)

"This is John Madden live from Seattle where we have the big game today,
Xoleras vs. Merlock!"...oh well who knows.

William J. Bessette

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Lance Lancaster (aik...@dwango.com) wrote:
: Seattle? (I would rather see THAT live and in person than a Superbowl!)

: "This is John Madden live from Seattle where we have the big game today,
: Xoleras vs. Merlock!"...oh well who knows.

I think I'm going to be sick.

dsquid

--
+====================+========================================+
| William Bessette |"The most merciful thing in the world, |

Doug Bora

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Nick Lindert (nlin...@imref.EECS.Berkeley.EDU) wrote:

: This sounds really cool! Now mabye the closet doomers will come out

: and play for the chance to give the finger to Microsoft up close! :O

I went on the local server today to check it out. Are they still making
you pay a $20 sign-up fee? It sure looked like it. I didn't sign up.
Talk about greed...

--

Doug Bora
stig...@wwa.com

Bradford Youngkin

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Actually, it sounds pretty cool.. What other gaming system can boast that they
have (or will for that matter), have such a large tournament?

Hey, Aikman, how would one get invited to the playoffs in Seattle? I live about
90 miles from Seattle, and would like to attend the DWANGO DEATHMATCH '95 PLAYOFFS!

Brad

Deleos

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
bhun...@interport.net (Robert E. Huntley) wrote:

> Rules for Deathmatch '95
>

> Registration
> ============

> TO PARTICIPATE YOU MUST OWN A REGISTERED COPY OF EACH THE FOLLOWING:

> HERETIC (V1.2)
> DOOM II (V1.9)
> THE ULTIMATE DOOM

> ...and the DWANGO client software.

....and Windows 95

First what's a tort?

Gee I'm kinda scared to use the Dwango software now. What kind of
damage can I suffer from if I use it?

Joe Wilcox

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
brad...@olympus.net (Bradford Youngkin) wrote:

> Brad

Well let's see.. H2H did a tournament not so long ago, that was quite
a bit larger. And with the North American DOOM Tournament being
planned.. I would speak so fast.

da Muddy_One

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
On Sat, 23 Sep 1995 08:15:53 GMT, Joe Wilcox (J...@SillySoft.com) wrote:

>brad...@olympus.net (Bradford Youngkin) wrote:
>
>>Actually, it sounds pretty cool.. What other gaming system can boast
>that they
>>have (or will for that matter), have such a large tournament?

>Well let's see.. H2H did a tournament not so long ago, that was quite
>a bit larger. And with the North American DOOM Tournament being
>planned.. I would speak so fast.

Quite true. We announced that we would be doing the NDT back in June.
Seems someone has been taking notes. <g> And yes, Joe is quite correct that
we are still planning the NorthAmerican DeathMatch Tourney: all DM from
start to finish. Very soon, I will looking for staff members from around
the country to help in the planning and running of it. Also, I will be
asking people how they would like it to be set-up.

As for DM '95, I hope it goes well and hope that people enter it so they
can win free stuff. Afterall, finding out where ya stand is real kewl, but
winning free stuff is even better. ;)

-- da Muddy_One
================= H2HMud International Doomers Competition =================
Out of "The 12" IDC DoomGods, "There Can Be Only 1!"
------------------H2HMud NorthAmerican DeathMatch Tourney-------------------
jel...@conline.com; WEB page ==> http://www.conline.com/~jelson/index.html

Neil R. Bonner

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
del...@gate.net (Deleos) wrote:

[snip 28 pages of legalize]

>Gee I'm kinda scared to use the Dwango software now. What kind of
>damage can I suffer from if I use it?

The software won't damage you, but the disclaimer should come with a
warning label. If you read all of it your head might explode.

Neil
| Neil R. Bonner | "Imagination is More Important |
| nrbo...@ffx.mobil.com | Than Knowledge." -Einstein |
| CIS: 72254,511 | |