Memento Mori, the biggest and best Doom II Add-On ever!!

Robert Templeman

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
d.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de (Denis Moeller) wrote:

>Announcement 2, Memento Mori, 12/95
>

>Exactly 2 years after Doom hit the ground, Memento Mori will
>revitalize the old Doom (2) fever with 32 new, breathtaking
>maps, completely new music and new textures.
>
>This one was built by 21 of the best WAD-creators in the
>world, who worked more than 4 months to make one of the best
>Doom II Add-Ons ever.
>
>Memento Mori is FREEWARE. All you need is the original version
>of Doom II - if you don't own it, go buy it! :)
>Then all you need to do is to download all parts of Memento Mori.
>
>Memento Mori consists of 3 main ZIP files and one additional
>Info-Pack-File. The files are called MM1_3.ZIP, MM2_3.ZIP,
>MM3_3.ZIP & MMINFO.ZIP. They are on several ftp-servers right
>now and they will be on all ftp.cdrom.com mirror-sites very
>soon!
>
>Please check our WebPage for detailed information on how to
>GET and PLAY Memento Mori. You can download it right from our
>WebPage!
>
>Our WebPage-URL is:
>
>http://www.geopages.com/Hollywood/2299/

Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be
producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
free you cant go wrong!

Doug Wright

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

> >Exactly 2 years after Doom hit the ground, Memento Mori will
> >revitalize the old Doom (2) fever with 32 new, breathtaking
> >maps, completely new music and new textures.
> >
> >This one was built by 21 of the best WAD-creators in the
> >world, who worked more than 4 months to make one of the best
> >Doom II Add-Ons ever.
> >

> Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be
> producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
> free you cant go wrong!

Believe it. It is one of the greatest full 32 level replacements I have
played. It has some new graphics, but the puzzles are good the levels are
fun and well layed-out. This could be the answer to the disappointment
that was TNT-the new Evilution. This one will make me feel better about
not buying TNT. (pay for wads not made by id... pffft- no way!)

Adam Williamson

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
In article <4bbs4d$d...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>
mbc...@mphhpd.ph.man.ac.uk "Robert Templeman" writes:

> Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be
> producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
> free you cant go wrong!

You don't know TiC.
--
Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
Email me for more details on the Terminal Velocity or Wolf 3D FAQs.

Simon H. Garlick

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
Yea, verily, on Thu, 21 Dec 1995 12:00:59 -0500 did
pps...@nbnet.nb.ca (Doug Wright) write unto us:

>Believe it. It is one of the greatest full 32 level replacements I have
>played. It has some new graphics, but the puzzles are good the levels are
>fun and well layed-out. This could be the answer to the disappointment
>that was TNT-the new Evilution. This one will make me feel better about
>not buying TNT. (pay for wads not made by id... pffft- no way!)

I agree, it is very well done... my only criticism is that the levels
are more co-op oriented than single-player. Some of the puzzles, while
ingenious, are _very_ strange in single-player mode. Watch the
demos...

Still, a great collection of levels. I'm impressed.

______________________________________

Simon H. Garlick - s...@waikato.ac.nz
FRAGGO ERGO SUM
______________________________________

Alden Bates

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
Robert Templeman (mbc...@mphhpd.ph.man.ac.uk) wrote:
: Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be

: producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
: free you cant go wrong!

Hmm, I didn't know level creation involved any graphics/music editing.
The ones I'm working on at the moment have minimal graphics addons.

If I were one of the Elite 21, I'd get a life and a real job. ;-)

Alden Bates.
--
/| |~) "Is lower the lofty tone no enormously end, monkey-hominids going
/===== shit sod bugger all the sodding time." - Unnamed Sloathe

Adam Windsor

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
Robert Templeman <mbc...@mphhpd.ph.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> d.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de (Denis Moeller) wrote:
> >
> >Announcement 2, Memento Mori, 12/95
> >

> >Exactly 2 years after Doom hit the ground, Memento Mori will
> >revitalize the old Doom (2) fever with 32 new, breathtaking maps,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not entirely true -- at least 2 of the levels are not new (level 8
is DEADSHRI.WAD and one of the demo levels is TWILAB.WAD). The only
thing "breath-taking" about level 1 is how ugly that circular
corridor near the start is. ;)
Overall, however, I've been impressed. Jens Nielsen is too fond of
unmarked secrets, however. :)

> >completely new music and new textures.

I don't play with music but the new textures are _very_ impressive

> >This one was built by 21 of the best WAD-creators in the
> >world, who worked more than 4 months to make one of the best
> >Doom II Add-Ons ever.
>

> Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be
> producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
> free you cant go wrong!

Perhaps that's exactly what some of them do for a living! (I don't
know any of the people involved so I couldn't say whether this is the
case or not.) Maybe they just wanted to produce an amazing WAD? Who
knows (and fundamentally, who cares?) _why_ they decided to do work
on a WAD for 4 months? It's here, it's good, and as Adam Williamson
said, "you obviously don't know TiC".

Adam Windsor
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au
Author of DFEAR*.WAD
Fear My Pistol Skills

Adam Williamson

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
In article <4bn282$h...@stork.qut.edu.au>
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:

> Not entirely true -- at least 2 of the levels are not new (level 8
> is DEADSHRI.WAD and one of the demo levels is TWILAB.WAD). The only
> thing "breath-taking" about level 1 is how ugly that circular
> corridor near the start is. ;)
> Overall, however, I've been impressed. Jens Nielsen is too fond of
> unmarked secrets, however. :)

Lev8 - dunno, haven't got past that *(&$ing Archvile in lev7 yet (well, I
did once, then when I saved immediately after it dumped me to DOS with
"unknown thing ??? <a number, could be 192, can't remember> in savegame!"
ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH! BOLLOCKS! That was nasty though, an Archvile with _nothing_
to hide behind except the entrance, where IF the Archvile is at the side
you can hide. But ONLY if. Anyways, should I have a rocket launcher or
higher by lev7 just playing normally (IE looking for secrets but NOT
pushing _every_ slightly indicated wall), or should I _still_ be beating
off Revenants and Barons and Knights with my SSG?!?!. Anyway, if you read
the MMINFO, it does say that TWILAB.WAD was upgraded and included. So ner. :)

> > >completely new music and new textures.
>
> I don't play with music but the new textures are _very_ impressive

The music is good too. Make an exception - _do_ paly with music. It's worth
it!

> > >This one was built by 21 of the best WAD-creators in the
> > >world, who worked more than 4 months to make one of the best
> > >Doom II Add-Ons ever.
> >
> > Sounds a bit suspect to me. If i were one of these Elite 21 i would be
> > producing graphics and music for commercial enterprise, but then if its
> > free you cant go wrong!
>
> Perhaps that's exactly what some of them do for a living! (I don't
> know any of the people involved so I couldn't say whether this is the
> case or not.) Maybe they just wanted to produce an amazing WAD? Who
> knows (and fundamentally, who cares?) _why_ they decided to do work
> on a WAD for 4 months? It's here, it's good, and as Adam Williamson
> said, "you obviously don't know TiC".

Ahh, thanx for the quote there - but of course TiC are only some of the
guys, and they all sound very nice to me. Here's to MM2, and give me my
plasma rifle this time :)

--
Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

"He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting" - Green Day
Find 2spook35.wad, tyranny1.wad, the Wolf3D and TV FAQs and much more at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/

Orin Flaharty

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
In <819930...@scss.demon.co.uk> Adam Williamson

Ok, the story on map 8 is that when I got it finished I gave it to some
of my friends around here to try it out and one of them uploaded it :(
Unfortunaly I didn't have time to make another one to replace it before
we released MMand besides, it's one of the best levels I have ever made
:)

Cya,
Orin Flaharty
a.k.a. Akira on the Denver Dwango

Adam Windsor

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
akir...@ix.netcom.com(Orin Flaharty ) wrote:

> In <819930...@scss.demon.co.uk> Adam Williamson
> <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >Lev8 - dunno, haven't got past that *(&$ing Archvile in lev7 yet
> > That was nasty though, an Archvile with
> >_nothing_ to hide behind except the entrance

SSG hit hit hit hit. AV dead. And I'm a poor-middling Keyboarder.

> > Anyways, should I have a rocket launcher or
> >higher by lev7 just playing normally (IE looking for secrets but NOT
> >pushing _every_ slightly indicated wall), or should I _still_ be
> >beating off Revenants and Barons and Knights with my SSG?!?!.

Plasma's on lev7, RL on lev8. I didn't see them before that, but I
could have missed them.

> > Anyway, if you
> >read the MMINFO, it does say that TWILAB.WAD was upgraded and included. So
> >ner. :)

Ah, but I was replying to the post, not to MMINFO.
ner ner. :)

> >Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

> >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and this never bloody works either (well, the twice I tried, anyway)

> Ok, the story on map 8 is that when I got it finished I gave it to some
> of my friends around here to try it out and one of them uploaded it :(
> Unfortunaly I didn't have time to make another one to replace it before
> we released MMand besides, it's one of the best levels I have ever made

I liked MAP05 of MM better -- that was you as well, wasn't it?

Adam Williamson

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
In article <4bnpmf$m...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>
akir...@ix.netcom.com(Orin "Orin Flaharty " writes:

> Ok, the story on map 8 is that when I got it finished I gave it to some
> of my friends around here to try it out and one of them uploaded it :(
> Unfortunaly I didn't have time to make another one to replace it before
> we released MMand besides, it's one of the best levels I have ever made

> :)
>
> Cya,
> Orin Flaharty
> a.k.a. Akira on the Denver Dwango

Alright, my son, you are forgiven :)
--

Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

Adam Williamson

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
In article <4bo0ud$h...@stork.qut.edu.au>
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:

> SSG hit hit hit hit. AV dead. And I'm a poor-middling Keyboarder.

Erm, pardon me, but I find it a little hard to believe he didn't set you on
fire whilst you were doing this.

> Plasma's on lev7, RL on lev8. I didn't see them before that, but I
> could have missed them.

Lev7? Before or after the Archvile? If it's after, it's no bloody use to me
then is it?!?!?!

> Ah, but I was replying to the post, not to MMINFO.
> ner ner. :)

Shut up, smartarse :)

> > >Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

> > >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and this never bloody works either (well, the twice I tried, anyway)

I know, sorry - I was updating it, it was sending very slowly so I cancelled.
Now Compuserve, instead of going back to the original, is waiting for me
to upload this stuff. Bollocks.

Adam Windsor

Dec 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/27/95
Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4bo0ud$h...@stork.qut.edu.au>
> wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:
>
> > SSG hit hit hit hit. AV dead. And I'm a poor-middling Keyboarder.
>
> Erm, pardon me, but I find it a little hard to believe he didn't set you on
> fire whilst you were doing this.

the SSG is fast enough to break his attack, y'know -- but he did
torch me once -- I went from 180/180 to 120/110. I can deal with
that. :)

> > Plasma's on lev7, RL on lev8. I didn't see them before that, but I
> > could have missed them.
>
> Lev7? Before or after the Archvile? If it's after, it's no bloody use to me
> then is it?!?!?!

I got the Plasma after (right at the end) ... you should be able to
get it before, though. Open the switch at the base of the stairs at
the start of lev7, flick it, go through the door that opens at the top
of the stairs, up the small lift and along the corridor -- there's an
unmarked lift in one corner of the open area at the end. There's a
switch down in there that opens the plasma area. If I recall right,
anyway. :)

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > and this never bloody works either (well, the twice I tried, anyway)
>
> I know, sorry - I was updating it, it was sending very slowly so I cancelled.
> Now Compuserve, instead of going back to the original, is waiting for me
> to upload this stuff. Bollocks.

So when you going to fix it, then, hmmmmm?

> Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
> "He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting" - Green Day
> Find 2spook35.wad, tyranny1.wad, the Wolf3D and TV FAQs and much more at:
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/

D'OH! :>

Alden Bates

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95

: In article wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:
:
: > SSG hit hit hit hit. AV dead. And I'm a poor-middling Keyboarder.
: Erm, pardon me, but I find it a little hard to believe he didn't set you on
: fire whilst you were doing this.

Of course, but if you hit him hard enough, he makes the pain noise and
stops flaming you before the explosion effect.

I think there's a RL on level 7 as well. I _know_ there's at least one
rocket, so that implies theres a RL, or it wouldn't be there. :-)

: : [Plasma on 7, RL on 8]
: Lev7? Before or after the Archvile? If it's after, it's no bloody use to me
: then is it?!?!?!

I recall I had the RL before meeting the Archvile, but I don't think I
had the Plasma before then. In fact, I don't remember getting the Plasma
gun for several levels after. :-(

Humph. I'm up to level 18 I think. I still have problems with saving:
After I hit save, the "game saved" message appears, and a few seconds
later, the game freezes.

Maybe there's something wrong with my setup, but MM is the only wad it's
happened on. Probably just because it's the only one where I've had to
save every few minutes. :-)

Alden Bates. (BTW, I've seen level 30, and I don't believe anyone has
gotten through it, not matter what anyone says.)

Chris Bradley

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
In article <4btmqg$a...@central.co.nz>,
Alden Bates <aba...@central.co.nz> wrote:
>[edit] (BTW, I've seen level 30, and I don't believe anyone has
>gotten through it, not matter what anyone says.)

Completing Level 30 of Memento Mori *is* possible, without cheating --
but it did take about thirty restart-from-saves, and I went into it with
all weapons. (This was on UV; hate to think about Nightmare!)
---
chris

Adam Williamson

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
In article <4br4b9$g...@stork.qut.edu.au>
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:

> I got the Plasma after (right at the end) ... you should be able to
> get it before, though. Open the switch at the base of the stairs at
> the start of lev7, flick it, go through the door that opens at the top
> of the stairs, up the small lift and along the corridor -- there's an
> unmarked lift in one corner of the open area at the end. There's a
> switch down in there that opens the plasma area. If I recall right,
> anyway. :)

You can't get it before. I checked it out with a level editor - one of the
required switches is opened by another switch which is _behind_ a blue door
which is opened by the key the Archvile is standing on :(

Adam Williamson

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
In article <4br4b9$g...@stork.qut.edu.au>
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:

> the SSG is fast enough to break his attack, y'know -- but he did
> torch me once -- I went from 180/180 to 120/110. I can deal with
> that. :)

The time I beat him I went from 100/76 to 21/5 :(

Adam Williamson

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
In article <4btmqg$a...@central.co.nz> aba...@central.co.nz "Alden Bates" writes:

> I think there's a RL on level 7 as well. I _know_ there's at least one
> rocket, so that implies theres a RL, or it wouldn't be there. :-)

It's probably DM only. There is no rocket launcher obtainable in single
player mode (or co-op) before level 7, nor a plasma rifle - I checked with
the thing searcher from Edmap.

> I recall I had the RL before meeting the Archvile, but I don't think I
> had the Plasma before then. In fact, I don't remember getting the Plasma
> gun for several levels after. :-(

You can't have had the RL first, you're misremembering.

Simon H. Garlick

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
Yea, verily, on Thu, 28 Dec 95 10:04:37 GMT did Adam Williamson
<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> write unto us:

>In article <4br4b9$g...@stork.qut.edu.au>
> wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au "Adam Windsor" writes:
>
>> the SSG is fast enough to break his attack, y'know -- but he did
>> torch me once -- I went from 180/180 to 120/110. I can deal with
>> that. :)
>>
>The time I beat him I went from 100/76 to 21/5 :(
>--

You guys are gonna hate me, but...

First time I met the AV I took him out without taking a single hit.
How? Grab the key, hit him with ANYTHING to distract him from torching
you, run to the door, flip the "open" switch (which grabbing the key
will have uncovered), run out, hit him through the doorway. The door
will auto-close to give you some relief, and then when you're ready
just open it and start blasting.

It was one of those flukey "OH SHIT" run around like a headless
chicken in total panic sort of escapes. I couldn't believe I'd done
it.

Djinni

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
On 25 Dec 1995 20:40:34 GMT, Adam Windsor <wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au>
wrote:

>Overall, however, I've been impressed. Jens Nielsen is too fond of
>unmarked secrets, however. :)
Never heard of super secrets, eh ;)

>Adam Windsor
>wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au
>Author of DFEAR*.WAD
>Fear My Pistol Skills
Who needs skills with a doublebarrel?

bye,
Jens.

---------------------------------------
Email:dji...@cybernet.dk
"It's nice to be important, but it's
more important to be nice!" -Scooter
Check out my homepage with the newest on
my level editing. Also got a link to the
upcoming 32pwad: Memento Mori for Doom 2.
http://www.geopages.com/Hollywood/2298
Released very soon, maybe for free ;-)
---------------------------------------

Djinni

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
On Mon, 25 Dec 95 22:25:34 GMT, Adam Williamson
<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Lev8 - dunno, haven't got past that *(&$ing Archvile in lev7 yet (well, I

>did once, then when I saved immediately after it dumped me to DOS with
>"unknown thing ??? <a number, could be 192, can't remember> in savegame!"

If you can reproduce that error, please notify me.

>ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH! BOLLOCKS! That was nasty though, an Archvile with _nothing_

>to hide behind except the entrance, where IF the Archvile is at the side

>you can hide. But ONLY if. Anyways, should I have a rocket launcher or

>higher by lev7 just playing normally (IE looking for secrets but NOT
>pushing _every_ slightly indicated wall), or should I _still_ be beating
>off Revenants and Barons and Knights with my SSG?!?!.

It is possible to find the Rocket launcher on MAP 07 before the
encounter with the Arch-Vile. Check out some corners, no need
to hit the walls. It is possible to go for the lift before the
Arch-Vile attacks.

>Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
>"He makes a plan to take a stand but always ends up sitting" - Green Day
>Find 2spook35.wad, tyranny1.wad, the Wolf3D and TV FAQs and much more at:
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/

Djinni

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
On Thu, 28 Dec 95 19:10:41 GMT, Adam Williamson
<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <4btmqg$a...@central.co.nz> aba...@central.co.nz "Alden Bates" writes:
>
>> I think there's a RL on level 7 as well. I _know_ there's at least one
>> rocket, so that implies theres a RL, or it wouldn't be there. :-)
>
>It's probably DM only. There is no rocket launcher obtainable in single
>player mode (or co-op) before level 7, nor a plasma rifle - I checked with
>the thing searcher from Edmap.

You checked very badly then, you can get it on level 7, before the
encounter with the Arch-vile. The plasma is another matter, though.

>> I recall I had the RL before meeting the Archvile, but I don't think I
>> had the Plasma before then. In fact, I don't remember getting the Plasma
>> gun for several levels after. :-(
>>
>You can't have had the RL first, you're misremembering.

Adam Windsor

Dec 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/30/95
per...@po.ia.dk (Djinni) wrote:
> >Overall, however, I've been impressed. Jens Nielsen is too fond of
> >unmarked secrets, however. :)
> Never heard of super secrets, eh ;)

Oh I've _heard_ of them. I just don't _like_ them. Particularly
when they are necessary to finish the level. As a level designer, I
avoid unmarked secrets as I tend to find that players find them
extremely annoying.

Adam Windsor
wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au
Author of DFEAR*.WAD

Fear My Pistol SKill

Djinni

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
On 30 Dec 1995 01:03:45 GMT, Adam Windsor <wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au>
wrote:

>per...@po.ia.dk (Djinni) wrote:

>> >Overall, however, I've been impressed. Jens Nielsen is too fond of
>> >unmarked secrets, however. :)
>> Never heard of super secrets, eh ;)
>
>Oh I've _heard_ of them. I just don't _like_ them. Particularly
>when they are necessary to finish the level. As a level designer, I
>avoid unmarked secrets as I tend to find that players find them
>extremely annoying.

None of the supersecrets are necessary to finish the level. They
bring (map07): the rocket launcher, plasma and healing.

If you speak about the first switch you encounter, you will find
some blinking light and a misaligned texture.

>Adam Windsor
>wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au
>Author of DFEAR*.WAD
>Fear My Pistol SKill

Drake O'Brien

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
In article <4c4mup$b...@news.uni-c.dk>, per...@po.ia.dk says...

>On 30 Dec 1995 01:03:45 GMT, Adam Windsor <wind...@pigeon.qut.edu.au>
>wrote:

>>> Never heard of super secrets, eh ;)
>>
>>Oh I've _heard_ of them. I just don't _like_ them. Particularly
>>when they are necessary to finish the level. As a level designer, I
>>avoid unmarked secrets as I tend to find that players find them
>>extremely annoying.
>None of the supersecrets are necessary to finish the level. They
>bring (map07): the rocket launcher, plasma and healing.

Memento Mori is great. Who likes supersecrets (secrets with no
pointers) tho'? Nobody plays like that since Wolf-3d, hitting everywhere on
every wall hoping to find something. It's boring and tedious and dull.
Rather than do that I'd just load the thing in an editor and... what's the
difference? They're both no-skill actions, hitting everywhere on every wall

There's one other thing I HATE in pwads, which is a switch for a door on the
other side of the level where you hit the switch & run madly around
obstacles only to see the door close in your face. And you need to get past
the door to complete the level! This means the players with Pentiums get to
finish the wad and the rest of us have to use the cheats, which sux (and it
makes the level unplayable for lower skill levels).

P.S. I beat that archvile on UV without cheating, but it took alot of

Adam Williamson

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
In article <4c4mup$b...@news.uni-c.dk> per...@po.ia.dk "Djinni" writes:

> If you speak about the first switch you encounter, you will find
> some blinking light and a misaligned texture.

Hmm...? Didn't notice the misalignment, and the blinking light for the first
20mins I mistook for an architectural touch. I did _eventually_ try pushing
it though...

Adam Williamson

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
In article <4c4sc2$3...@fountain.mindlink.net>

a13...@mindlink.bc.ca "Drake O'Brien" writes:

> pointers) tho'? Nobody plays like that since Wolf-3d, hitting everywhere on
> every wall hoping to find something. It's boring and tedious and dull.

Have to defend Wolf here, in all 6 Wolf episodes there are a maximum of 5
unmarked secrets - all the others have decorative textures or are between
decorations or something.

Tom Wheeley

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
In article <820407...@scss.demon.co.uk>
Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk "Adam Williamson" writes:

> In article <4c4sc2$3...@fountain.mindlink.net>
> a13...@mindlink.bc.ca "Drake O'Brien" writes:
>
> > pointers) tho'? Nobody plays like that since Wolf-3d, hitting everywhere on
> > every wall hoping to find something. It's boring and tedious and dull.
> >
> Have to defend Wolf here, in all 6 Wolf episodes there are a maximum of 5
> unmarked secrets - all the others have decorative textures or are between
> decorations or something.

Yeah, thats still unmarked though. There are hundreds of decorative textures
and gaps between textures in Wolf3D which don't have secrets. You must admit
you are left pushing most walls.

--
* TQ 1.0 * 101 Cheats for Quake
51. IDLIFEBANE

Adam Williamson

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
In article <820507...@tsys.demon.co.uk>
to...@tsys.demon.co.uk "Tom Wheeley" writes:

> Yeah, thats still unmarked though. There are hundreds of decorative textures
> and gaps between textures in Wolf3D which don't have secrets. You must admit
> you are left pushing most walls.

So? How many times in Doom add-ons have you been left pushing _every_ STONE3
around STONE2's? Sound familiar? :)

Drake O'Brien

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <820527...@scss.demon.co.uk>, Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk says...

>In article <820507...@tsys.demon.co.uk>
> to...@tsys.demon.co.uk "Tom Wheeley" writes:
>
>> Yeah, thats still unmarked though. There are hundreds of decorative
textures
>> and gaps between textures in Wolf3D which don't have secrets. You must
admit
>> you are left pushing most walls.
>>
>So? How many times in Doom add-ons have you been left pushing _every_
STONE3
>around STONE2's? Sound familiar? :)
>--
Yup, that's exactly the point. In Wolf-3d and SOD a basic technique is to
hold down spacebar while straferunning down every wall in every area as soon
as the area is 'secured', because tho' a few secrets have subtle markings
the rest don't. In Wolf and SOD this was OK for some reason, but the
technique isn't natural in doom where the gameplay is faster and there're
acid floors etc., etc. I know I feel a sense of satisfaction when I spot a
secret area just from clues - and the wittier the clues the better it is.
Totally unmarked secrets in a pwad are a bit newbyish. Irritating too.

Likewise doors and keys that require a good DMer's or UV player's skill to
get, or require the speed of a pentium processor to make the fast enough run
or the long enough jump else the level can't be completed - these are
newbyish mistakes that irritate me.

Doug Bora

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
: Likewise doors and keys that require a good DMer's or UV player's skill to
: get, or require the speed of a pentium processor to make the fast enough run
: or the long enough jump else the level can't be completed - these are
: newbyish mistakes that irritate me.

Eh? I don't think pentiums jump further. Try strafe-running.

--

Doug Bora
stig...@interaccess.com

ba...@eden.com

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In <4c4sc2$3...@fountain.mindlink.net>, a13...@mindlink.bc.ca (Drake O'Brien) writes:
>In article <4c4mup$b...@news.uni-c.dk>, per...@po.ia.dk says...
>This means the players with Pentiums get to
>finish the wad and the rest of us have to use the cheats, which sux (and it
>makes the level unplayable for lower skill levels).

This is interesting. Are you saying a person with a P90 has a 'hardware'
advantage over a person with a DX2/66 playing DM?

Adam Williamson

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

No, it's a myth. I jump just as far on the P90 my Dad is borrowing as on
the DX33 i'm typing on. The difference? The Pentium is _smoother_, which
can help, but you can shift the framerate up on a DX2/66 with lo-detail and
screen sizes.

David CL Francis

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <820507...@tsys.demon.co.uk>, Tom Wheeley
<to...@tsys.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <820407...@scss.demon.co.uk>
> Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk "Adam Williamson" writes:
>
>> In article <4c4sc2$3...@fountain.mindlink.net>
>> a13...@mindlink.bc.ca "Drake O'Brien" writes:
>>
>> > pointers) tho'? Nobody plays like that since Wolf-3d, hitting everywhere on
>> > every wall hoping to find something. It's boring and tedious and dull.
>> >
>> Have to defend Wolf here, in all 6 Wolf episodes there are a maximum of 5
>> unmarked secrets - all the others have decorative textures or are between
>> decorations or something.
>
>Yeah, thats still unmarked though. There are hundreds of decorative textures
>and gaps between textures in Wolf3D which don't have secrets. You must admit
>you are left pushing most walls.

None of you played the registered version of Wolfenstein then? There is
one level - sorry I cannot remember which - that has about 100 unmarked
secrets in a diabolical maze. When you got to the centre of the maze you
got a code word and the suggestion that you ring ID to claim a reward. I
never did though. One mistake near the middle and you were locked in and
could not get out.

That is something I do not like in any game - a 'dead end'. A difficult
puzzle is fine but a point where you are just stuck and cannot go back
or forward is to me not a fair game - unless you die there! I am not too
keen on 'one chance only' secrets either. They encourage me to cheat!
David CL Francis E-Mail reply to <da...@dclf.demon.co.uk>

David Ganly

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Um...How big is this Memento Mori?
Like how many Kilobytes is it?
Can anyone point me to some mirrors of ftp.cdrom.com??
Thanks...
David Ganly

Ben Morris

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
ba...@eden.com wrote:
: This is interesting. Are you saying a person with a P90 has a 'hardware'

: advantage over a person with a DX2/66 playing DM?

even though i didn't say it in the first place, i agree with whoever did.
two players of equal skill playing on unequal machines (2/66 vs a p90, for
example) will see about a 3:1 win for the guy on the p90. (that is, 3
games out of 4, not 3x the frags.)

at least, that's how it's been 'round here. using myself as an example: I
played on a dx2/66 for about a year and a half. i usually lost to the guy
with the fastest computer - a p90. now that i've got a p120, i've had
about a 1:1 win ratio with the same guy, and i find myself way above those
on dx2/66s.

the advantage comes from hand-eye coordination - you get a higher frame
rate on a pentium than you get on a dx2. if two guys on map07 are running
the outer walls on a collision course at a corner, who's going to shoot
first? - the guy who sees the other first. if the guy on the p90 has a
couple extra frames of the other rounding the corner, he'll fire just a
splitsecond sooner. that's all it takes with a supershotgun, right?

ben

-/-
Ben Morris: Irritant at large bmo...@islandnet.com
SavanTech/Zerius/C++/Rush/DCK http://www.islandnet.com/~voltaire

Adam Williamson

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <1KrTWHAL...@dclf.demon.co.uk>

da...@dclf.demon.co.uk "David CL Francis" writes:

> None of you played the registered version of Wolfenstein then? There is
> one level - sorry I cannot remember which - that has about 100 unmarked
> secrets in a diabolical maze. When you got to the centre of the maze you

Ah, so you pirated yours and/or never read the manual eh? This was a
competition run by Apogee - originally the first person to find that texture
won $2000 or something, but then Apogee realized people were writing programs
to hack the textures and cancelled the competition - but left the maze in.
It had to be unmarked, the idea was that it wasn't easy to find, otherwise
millions of people would be flooding the lines!

Who

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

>From: ba...@eden.com
>Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.doom.playing,rec.games.computer.doom.misc,rec.ga
>mes.computer.doom.editing
>Subject: Re: Memento Mori, the biggest and best Doom II Add-On ever!!
>Date: 2 Jan 1996 15:51:21 GMT
>puter.doom.misc:2287 rec.games.computer.doom.editing:4551

>In <4c4sc2$3...@fountain.mindlink.net>, a13...@mindlink.bc.ca (Drake O'Brien) wr
>ites:
>>In article <4c4mup$b...@news.uni-c.dk>, per...@po.ia.dk says...
>>This means the players with Pentiums get to
>>finish the wad and the rest of us have to use the cheats, which sux (and it
>>makes the level unplayable for lower skill levels).
>
>This is interesting. Are you saying a person with a P90 has a 'hardware'
>advantage over a person with a DX2/66 playing DM?

Nope. In DM, the machines operate at the same speed, or else you'd get a
consitency error. Only in single player mode, Doom runs as fast as your
computer allows it. Therefore, on a Pentium, I suppose you could run faster and
such. Not really sure about that, though.

Ted Mielczarek

Who.
WHO WHO
Who is it? It could be Mozart, it could be VeNaM, it could even be Ellis!
Who do you think it is? Who could it be? Is it me? Is it you? Who?
O O
H Who. H
W W

Alasdair

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

try ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/idgames/

its probably the quickest one for us

Adam Williamson

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <ikQMoRAm...@dclf.demon.co.uk>

da...@dclf.demon.co.uk "David CL Francis" writes:

> Fair enough - but I did not pirate my copy - I still have the box and
> original disk. I may have forgotten what was in the manual or failed to
> read it properly. But that was not the only place where this occurred
> although none of the others had anywhere near so many unmarked secrets.

That's why I put in the "and/or" :). This was a special case, of course...
if they were marked _everyone_ would have found it. There's one in the
first episode, but there's only about 9 blocks in the area anyway...err,
there's at least one in episode 5...anyone remember any others?

David CL Francis

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <820663...@scss.demon.co.uk>, Adam Williamson
<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <1KrTWHAL...@dclf.demon.co.uk>

> da...@dclf.demon.co.uk "David CL Francis" writes:
>
>> None of you played the registered version of Wolfenstein then? There is
>> one level - sorry I cannot remember which - that has about 100 unmarked
>> secrets in a diabolical maze. When you got to the centre of the maze you
>>
>Ah, so you pirated yours and/or never read the manual eh? This was a
>competition run by Apogee - originally the first person to find that texture
>won $2000 or something, but then Apogee realized people were writing programs
>to hack the textures and cancelled the competition - but left the maze in.
>It had to be unmarked, the idea was that it wasn't easy to find, otherwise
>millions of people would be flooding the lines!

Fair enough - but I did not pirate my copy - I still have the box and

original disk. I may have forgotten what was in the manual or failed to
read it properly. But that was not the only place where this occurred
although none of the others had anywhere near so many unmarked secrets.

Conductor

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
I must agree. I have played Memento Mori insingle player and found it to
be most enjoyable, challenging and intriguing. As a Doom II level
designer myself, I must say that Memento Mori is excellent. And I must
also mention that Mark Klem's music is superb.

Conductor
Conductor

Adam Williamson

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4cjgj3$o...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
cond...@aol.com "Conductor" writes:

Yeah...gonna try co-op two-way tomorrow, so just for...was it Doug Bora?
..you can watch an lmp of that instead of being forced to watch single
player :). Anyway, I was wondering if whoever it was who did the gfx to
MM would mind me nicking some of them (with a credit, of course)?

LordUnum

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Yes I must agree with several that Memento Mori is the best and biggest
Doom add-on, but I must give plenty of honorable mention to Cleimos and
Cleimos 2, and of course the great return to Phobos for Doom 1. I found
SUDTIC , TEUTIC, and OBTIC very enjoyable too! A million thanx to all the
authors of all those wads.

I have one problem though with trying to setup coop on MM: my modem wont
do anything upon startup of sersetup or any third party modem setup
program. I have had to resort to APCi and promarily, DWANGO servers to
play. I know the modem init string is ok cuz it works for all my comm
programs, and the modem is on at the time. Can anyone give me a clue to
the problem....maybe jumpers, or DIP switches? I dont know my self. Please
help me with this. Thank you for your attention,

LordUnum, the Westsida

Simon H. Garlick

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
Okay, question time: MM, single-player, level 13 "The Inmost Dens II"

At coordinates (0XFE03DC25, 0X53A852A) there is a little split-level
room in the middle of nowhere with a player 1 voodoo doll.

Why???

______________________________________

Simon H. Garlick - s...@waikato.ac.nz
FRAGGO ERGO SUM
______________________________________

Adam Williamson

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In article <30fcb853...@news.waikato.ac.nz>

s...@waikato.ac.nz "Simon H. Garlick" writes:

> At coordinates (0XFE03DC25, 0X53A852A) there is a little split-level
> room in the middle of nowhere with a player 1 voodoo doll.

Is it that crushing-ceiling-voodoo doll trap we were talking about sometime?

Simon H. Garlick

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96
Yea, verily, on Wed, 17 Jan 96 20:16:07 GMT did Adam Williamson
<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> write unto us:

>In article <30fcb853...@news.waikato.ac.nz>
> s...@waikato.ac.nz "Simon H. Garlick" writes:
>
>> At coordinates (0XFE03DC25, 0X53A852A) there is a little split-level
>> room in the middle of nowhere with a player 1 voodoo doll.
>>
>Is it that crushing-ceiling-voodoo doll trap we were talking about sometime?
>--

Hmmm, not sure. I remember the discussion. I'm _pretty sure_ I
finished the level with 100% kills and secrets, and I can't recall
ever suffering from a distant doll-squashing...

Anyone from TiC listening?

Phudge

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96
Where can I get this level?
What directory?

Phudge

Adam Williamson

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
In article <4dml8u$q...@rd.cls.de>
d.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de "Denis Moeller" writes:

> If you are smart, start the level and walk a bit. You'll notice that
> you'll grab a shotgun, with no shotgun around. :)

Oooh, clever indeedimus. Wish I could think of things like that (mutter
mutter mumble mumble) :)

Frans P. de Vries

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
Phudge (phu...@aol.com) wrote:
} Where can I get this level?
} What directory?

In the RGCD FAQ, posted weekly to r.g.c.d.announce, you'll find:

4D. Where are the more spectacular PWADs I keep reading about?
ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/mm/mm_all.zip [Memento Mori]

where {INS_site/path_HERE} = any DOOM ftp site, eg. ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames
--
Frans P. de Vries | f...@xymph.iaf.nl | Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ maintainer

Simon Cooper

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Adam Williamson wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering if whoever it was who did the gfx to
> MM would mind me nicking some of them (with a credit, of course)?
> --

I would like to know as well - would it be ok to nic(Borrow) the super
GFX from the levels?

Electric

http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~hc2sc/

hc...@dmu.ac.uk

t.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
>Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I was wondering if whoever it was who did the gfx to
>> MM would mind me nicking some of them (with a credit, of course)?

Well, ergh not now... cause of the MM2 project.

>I would like to know as well - would it be ok to nic(Borrow) the super
>GFX from the levels?

Would be boring...the same GFX in a non MM level ;))

- vorphalack / TiC

Adam Williamson

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
In article <4f0rsk$m...@rd.cls.de> t.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de writes:

> Well, ergh not now... cause of the MM2 project.

Oh, BTW TiC, did you get my e-mail?

--
Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
"Muahahahahahahahahaha!" - Friday

Adam Williamson

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
In article <4f1vu3$6...@rd.cls.de>
d.mo...@rendsburg.netsurf.de "Denis Moeller" writes:

> Well, we are going to use all of the MM gfx and some new ones in
> Memento Mori 2, so... if you are using one or the other it's okay,
> but if you are going to use all of them - I don't think this is good.
>
> All we ask for is to give credits. :)
>
> cya
> Denis

Hmmm...TiC appear to be at odds with themselves :). Sort it out :)...

Mike Bagby

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
Denis Moeller wrote:

> Simon Cooper <hc...@dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> Anyway, I was wondering if whoever it was who did the gfx to
> >> MM would mind me nicking some of them (with a credit, of course)?
> >I would like to know as well - would it be ok to nic(Borrow) the super
> >GFX from the levels?
> Well, we are going to use all of the MM gfx and some new ones in
> Memento Mori 2, so... if you are using one or the other it's okay,
> but if you are going to use all of them - I don't think this is good.

Speaking og MM2, who is it going?

Tom Gibson

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
Heard about it. Ain't done it. Where can I get it? Not on ftp.cdrom.com.

George R Faulkner

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In <4fk1d9$7...@texas.nwlink.com> mas...@nwlink.com (Tom Gibson)
writes:

>Heard about it. Ain't done it. Where can I get it? Not on
ftp.cdrom.com.

Heard of what? I missed whatever post this is responding to.
They make newsreaders so they can quote for a reason, you
know.
--
Dave Faulkner

"With a name like Dave, it has to be good."

Adam Williamson

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4fk1d9$7...@texas.nwlink.com>, Tom Gibson
<mas...@nwlink.com> writes

>Heard about it. Ain't done it. Where can I get it? Not on ftp.cdrom.com.

Yes on Cdrom.com. Joost decided it warranted a themes directory to
itself. /pub/idgames/themes/mm.Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2

Adam Williamson

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g4lis$g...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>, faul...@ix.netcom.com
writes

>Heard of what? I missed whatever post this is responding to.
>They make newsreaders so they can quote for a reason, you
>know.

Try reading the subject line.

George R Faulkner

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In <CYx+MBAQ$fJx...@scss.demon.co.uk> Adam Williamson

<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In article <4g4lis$g...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>, faul...@ix.netcom.com
>writes
>>Heard of what? I missed whatever post this is responding to.
>>They make newsreaders so they can quote for a reason, you
>>know.
>
>Try reading the subject line.

Oh, never mind....

>--
>Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
>Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2

Stephen Heaslip

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <4g4lis$g...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>, faul...@ix.netcom.com
>writes
>>Heard of what? I missed whatever post this is responding to.
>>They make newsreaders so they can quote for a reason, you
>>know.

>Try reading the subject line.

Doh!

--
blue

Frans P. de Vries

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
George R Faulkner (faul...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
} Heard of what? I missed whatever post this is responding to.
} They make newsreaders so they can quote for a reason, you
} know.

They also make them so you can look at the Subject: header.

David R Fields

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96

Tom Gibson <mas...@nwlink.com> wrote:
>Heard about it. Ain't done it. Where can I get it? Not on ftp.cdrom.com.
It is on cdrom.com. Go to /pub/doom/themes/mm/ and you will find it
there. You just have to look hard enough, which can be a royal pain at
times... Good luck, that wad is one intense wad to play coop with four
players.

Dave

George R Faulkner

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In <4g7bpo$d...@xymph.iaf.nl> f...@xymph.iaf.nl (Frans P. de Vries)
writes:

Duh. Don't I feel stupid now....

NUL

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
On Monday February 19 1996 at 20:04, faul...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Duh. Don't I feel stupid now....

Don't worry. We've known that you are stupid for a long time now.

|'My greatest fear: that future generations|Comments in this message may not |
|will, for some reason, refer to me as an |reflect the views of any rational|
|"optimist."' - Chad Irby |person. |
|__InfoSeek________________________________|__________________________SUCKS__|
--
| Fidonet : NUL 1:250/820
| Internet: N...@TCSconcordia.tor250.org

George R Faulkner

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In <95f_960...@tor250.org> N...@TCSconcordia.tor250.org (NUL)
writes:

>On Monday February 19 1996 at 20:04, faul...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > Duh. Don't I feel stupid now....
>
>Don't worry. We've known that you are stupid for a long time now.

I _hope_ that's a joke.... <g>

Robert Horan

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
Why are there so many deathmatch only levels being made and so
seemingly few single player levels made? I find it really odd that I
go out and look for levels, or buy new CD's and a rather large
percentage are DM only... what about those of us that can't find other
players and really don't want to have to give their phone #'s to
potential stalkers? Any single player level can be easily made a DM
level, but not the reverse...

George R Faulkner

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
In <4glhqa$4...@cloner4.netcom.com> jdu...@ix.netcom.com(Robert Horan )
writes:

Actually, a DM level can easily be made a single player level,
but not a single player level a DM level. Single player
levels are too linear to be good for DM, but a DM level
could be made into a single player level by adding key-doors
and switches and puzzles. And I agree, I can't stand DM-only
levels. It's much better when they support single-player,
cooperative, and deathmatch, all with nearly-equal ability,
just like the original levels.

Robert Horan

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
In <4glmgc$k...@cloner2.ix.netcom.com> faul...@ix.netcom.com(George R

Faulkner ) writes:

>In <4glhqa$4...@cloner4.netcom.com> jdu...@ix.netcom.com(Robert Horan
)
>writes:
>>
>>Why are there so many deathmatch only levels being made and so
>>seemingly few single player levels made? I find it really odd that I
>>go out and look for levels, or buy new CD's and a rather large
>>percentage are DM only... what about those of us that can't find
>other
>>players and really don't want to have to give their phone #'s to
>>potential stalkers? Any single player level can be easily made a DM
>>level, but not the reverse...
>
>Actually, a DM level can easily be made a single player level,
>but not a single player level a DM level. Single player
>levels are too linear to be good for DM, but a DM level

How are they too linear? You can have a very deathmatch like single
player level that can have deathmatch features built in...

>could be made into a single player level by adding key-doors
>and switches and puzzles. And I agree, I can't stand DM-only

That means you have to do it yourself and therefore know where
everything is before you play it... not fun playing your own creation
by yourself...

>levels. It's much better when they support single-player,
>cooperative, and deathmatch, all with nearly-equal ability,
>just like the original levels.

I agree 100%

Adam Williamson

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
For some weird reason, jdu...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write

>Why are there so many deathmatch only levels being made and so
>seemingly few single player levels made? I find it really odd that I
>go out and look for levels, or buy new CD's and a rather large
>percentage are DM only... what about those of us that can't find other
>players and really don't want to have to give their phone #'s to
>potential stalkers? Any single player level can be easily made a DM
>level, but not the reverse...

Well, umm, there aren't that many of you :). Everyone else plays
deathmatch and tends to piss on single-play levels, unless they're
really really good. Try Memento Mori. Any single player level can NOT be
a deathmatch level. Just you try deathmatching one of the big Doom2
levels, or even better MM level 11. THAT defines the word boring.

JD

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In <pcIEQPA8...@scss.demon.co.uk> Adam Williamson sent a reply to:

And <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> was arrogant enough to write:
>Well, umm, there aren't that many of you :). Everyone else plays
>deathmatch and tends to piss on single-play levels, unless they're
>really really good. Try Memento Mori. Any single player level can NOT
be
>a deathmatch level. Just you try deathmatching one of the big Doom2
>levels, or even better MM level 11. THAT defines the word boring.

Well, gee... thank you for yourr enlightenment. However I have tried
deathmatching on large levels. I prefer being able to stalk my enemy
and hide, using sniper positions and hidden areas instead of running
around a room the size of a closet. I just can't do it that often
since I don't know anyone nearby with Doom and a modem. We're in a
recession... don't assume everyone can afford to run out & buy a
computer, modem, Doom, and then be able to afford huge phone bills for
deathmatch

Jaime MacKercher

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
Personally, I think there are so many deathmatch only levels
because many of the people putting them out lack the creativity
to make a single player level. Most of the ones I've seen are
just big boxes with a bunch of weapons and health. Trying to
distribute monsters appropriately and make it challenging is a
difficult thing to do and most are not up to the challenge...
Please excuse me, I'm in a pissy mood today.

George R Faulkner

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In <4goj4h$fah$2...@mhafn.production.compuserve.com> Jaime MacKercher

I agree with what you say. I've tried looking at some
deathmatch-only levels in single-player mode, and
the architecture is almost always simplistic, and the
levels small and not creative. Personally, I prefer
single player, because:
#1. Whenever you want to play single player, you can
#2. No telephone bills
#3. Faster than multiplayer
#4. Nothing beats that feeling that your alone, alone
against hordes of demons
#5. Single player and coop levels are more creative
#6. Single player and coop levels usually have stuff
like good architecture, decent puzzles, and plenty
of monsters
#7. Deathmatch can be boring. Single player, or even
coop, is fun. It's humans vs. demons, lots of
demonic blood splattering everywhere, you get
to stalk and kill the evil demons. In deathmatch
it's just, find opponent, kill opponent. No puzzles,
very few if any monsters

David Williams

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
Please cast my vote for the single-player levels. Deathmatch is a
totally different experience, and one I don't much care for, even with
toll free opponents just down the street. Gimme a humongous, well
crafted and well thought out single player level (or, gosh, even a whole
episode!) any day.

Maybe, just maybe, the us single-player folks are having too much fun to
be bothered speaking up. And maybe it's time to do so.

Adam Williamson

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
For some weird reason, jdu...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write
>And <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> was arrogant enough to write:

BTW, that reply-to header is standard, it goes for everyone.

>>Well, umm, there aren't that many of you :). Everyone else plays
>>deathmatch and tends to piss on single-play levels, unless they're
>>really really good. Try Memento Mori. Any single player level can NOT
>be
>>a deathmatch level. Just you try deathmatching one of the big Doom2
>>levels, or even better MM level 11. THAT defines the word boring.
>
>Well, gee... thank you for yourr enlightenment. However I have tried
>deathmatching on large levels. I prefer being able to stalk my enemy
>and hide, using sniper positions and hidden areas instead of running
>around a room the size of a closet. I just can't do it that often

Oh dear. You sink more and more into the murky depths known as
"minority" here :)

George R Faulkner

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> had too much beer and wrote:

[snip]

>Oh dear. You sink more and more into the murky depths known as
>"minority" here :)
>--
>Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
>Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2

Why should the majority decide what's fun for the minority?
Besides, there may be a hell of a lot more single-player
people than you may think, they're just afraid to speak up
in fear of ridicule from the "oh so holy" deathmatchers.
Deathmatch is okay, but single player, and even cooperative,
is the way Doom was meant to be played.

George R Faulkner

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In <4gpsi3$t...@saturn.dreamscape.com> David Williams

<Dwil...@Dreamscape.com> writes:

>Please cast my vote for the single-player levels. Deathmatch is a
>totally different experience, and one I don't much care for, even with

>toll free opponents just down the street. Gimme a humongous, well
>crafted and well thought out single player level (or, gosh, even a
whole
>episode!) any day.

I agree 101%

>Maybe, just maybe, the us single-player folks are having too much fun
>be bothered speaking up. And maybe it's time to do so.

I agree 101% again!

JSA

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
Robert Horan wrote:

> Why are there so many deathmatch only levels being made and so
> seemingly few single player levels made? I find it really odd that I
> go out and look for levels, or buy new CD's and a rather large
> percentage are DM only... what about those of us that can't find other
> players and really don't want to have to give their phone #'s to
> potential stalkers? Any single player level can be easily made a DM
> level, but not the reverse...

Robert are you really worried about Stalkers?
Get a second phone line for your computer and plug it
into the modem and dont put a phone on it and never
answer it, and dont publish the number, and get on
with the rest of your life.

After your first few DM games with players of
equal skill you will find single player
booooorrrrrring. Dont make the mistake
of starting out against the local DM hotshot,
or you will find it demoralizing.

JSA

Adam Williamson

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
For some weird reason, faul...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write

>Why should the majority decide what's fun for the minority?

I'm not saying that.

>Besides, there may be a hell of a lot more single-player
>people than you may think, they're just afraid to speak up
>in fear of ridicule from the "oh so holy" deathmatchers.

I play a lot of single-player. I've designed 1 single-play level and am
making another. I'm just saying that there are definitely a lot more
dm'ers than single-players out there.

Vandibere Hanson

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
George R Faulkner (faul...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> had too much beer and wrote:

: [snip]

: >
: >Oh dear. You sink more and more into the murky depths known as
: >"minority" here :)

: >--

: >Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
: >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
: >Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2

: Why should the majority decide what's fun for the minority?
: Besides, there may be a hell of a lot more single-player

: people than you may think, they're just afraid to speak up
: in fear of ridicule from the "oh so holy" deathmatchers.

: Deathmatch is okay, but single player, and even cooperative,

: is the way Doom was meant to be played.

: --
: Dave Faulkner

: "With a name like Dave, it has to be good."

In this l'il Doom Reality, the majority 'r00lz', alas. Go onto any of
the IRC channels asking about single player doom, I'll betcher ass that
you'll get flamed at least once, with: "1plr sux D00D!!!"

I personally prefer deathmatch, but barely. I love the well done single
player WADs...Check out pisa.wad, The Raven Levels, Of course Memento
Mori (sp?), and...damn...can't remember the other one I was gonna
mention... :( Oh well..

Take care,

Vandibere

George R Faulkner

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
In <4gsn23$f...@nic.umass.edu> vndi...@wilde.oit.umass.edu (Vandibere

Hanson) writes:

>George R Faulkner (faul...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: In Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> had too much beer and
wrote:

>: [snip]
>
>: >
>: >Oh dear. You sink more and more into the murky depths known as
>: >"minority" here :)
>: >--
>: >Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
>: >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
>: >Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2
>
>: Why should the majority decide what's fun for the minority?
>: Besides, there may be a hell of a lot more single-player
>: people than you may think, they're just afraid to speak up
>: in fear of ridicule from the "oh so holy" deathmatchers.
>: Deathmatch is okay, but single player, and even cooperative,
>: is the way Doom was meant to be played.
>: --
>: Dave Faulkner
>
>: "With a name like Dave, it has to be good."
>
>In this l'il Doom Reality, the majority 'r00lz', alas. Go onto any of

I can play Doom anyway I wanna play Doom. I'm not saying id
software must throw out multiplayer or that multiplayer fans
must play single player, I'm just saying I prefer
single player, or even cooperative, more than deathmatch,
simply because single player can be played at any time,
and single player/cooperative levels are larger and more
complicated.

>the IRC channels asking about single player doom, I'll betcher ass
that
>you'll get flamed at least once, with: "1plr sux D00D!!!"

I hate IRC. The people there don't know how to talk and the
subject never seems to have anything to do with Doom, and
the whole time I'm ever there, all that anybody says is
either garbage which makes no sense of nothing, and I
just watch people join or leave the channel.

>I personally prefer deathmatch, but barely. I love the well done
single
>player WADs...Check out pisa.wad, The Raven Levels, Of course Memento
>Mori (sp?), and...damn...can't remember the other one I was gonna
>mention... :( Oh well..

Never tried pisa. Raven I found okay, but they didn't really,
well, stand out, just sorta well-done average levels, and
Memento Mori I've played lots.

>Take care,
>
>Vandibere

David Quigley

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
> I just can't do it that often
>since I don't know anyone nearby with Doom and a modem.

Well, from your E-mail address you live in England. If your
anywhere in the North East (specifically Teeside,) then I'll pump
rockets into you any time you're ready. :-)

David Quigley

I have been known to think from time to time, therefore
I am, but only just.

Fab Ciccone

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
In article <4glhqa$4...@cloner4.netcom.com>, jdu...@ix.netcom.com(Robert Horan ) says:

>Why are there so many deathmatch only levels being made and so
>seemingly few single player levels made? I find it really odd that I
>go out and look for levels, or buy new CD's and a rather large
>percentage are DM only... what about those of us that can't find other
>players and really don't want to have to give their phone #'s to
>potential stalkers? Any single player level can be easily made a DM
>level, but not the reverse...

If you haven't already, try here:

ftp.dstc.edu.au

in directory:

/u2/idgames

Daniel Donate Reuss

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
In article <4gq756$4...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>,
faul...@ix.netcom.com(George R Faulkner ) wrote:
=>In Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> had too much beer and wrote:
=>
=>
=>[snip]
=>
=>>
=>>Oh dear. You sink more and more into the murky depths known as
=>>"minority" here :)
=>>--
=>>Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk
=>>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/
=>>Doom2: The Tyranny Levels, Insertion, Memento Mori 2
=>
=>Why should the majority decide what's fun for the minority?
=>Besides, there may be a hell of a lot more single-player
=>people than you may think, they're just afraid to speak up
=>in fear of ridicule from the "oh so holy" deathmatchers.
=>Deathmatch is okay, but single player, and even cooperative,
=>is the way Doom was meant to be played.

I agree completely. I think many (most?) users don't have more than 1 PC at
home, or a friend with a modem AND Doom AND wanting to play dethmatch; or
simply they like playing alone. I do. Anyway, I happen to have a home 2 PC
LAN, but my wife HATES Doom (too violent, she says ¿?), so I only can play DM
or Coop. when a friend comes to my home (he has a MAC w/o a modem). Most times
I play alone, and it's fun too!

Daniel Donate Reuss
Madrid (Spain)

"640 Kb...er, I mean, 32 Mb should be enough for anybody!"
( Bill Gates )

Adam Williamson

Mar 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/8/96
For some weird reason, faul...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write
>I play alone most of the time, mainly because it's hard to find
>somebody to play multiplayer with, I don't feel like dealing with
>"consistancy errors", and single player is good enough. That's
>one thing that worries me about Quake, I here it's mainly
>intended for multiplayer, single player is more of a side-effect
>than a feature.

Once you've got modem working once, it should be easy afterwards. In
Quake, that's the way it looks like going, but a lot of DM is played
anyway, and if it is as customisable as they say, you can just _make_ it
single-play. All the stuff necessary for single-play should be in - all
you should need should be maps.
--

Adam Williamson, D1M - ad...@scss.demon.co.uk

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/The_Williamsons/

Paul Mandell

Mar 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/8/96
George R Faulkner wrote:
> Or if somebody does have more than one PC at home, it's because the
> first PC was old and outdated, and therefore unlikely to be able
> to play Doom anyway.

Not necessarily, I'm soon gonna have a 3 machine Deathmatch setup,
consisting of 486 DX4-100, 486 33, and an apple Mac powerbook 5300-100.

I just seem to borrow machines from companies that I work for and when I
leave I just offer to buy them for 100 UKP.

The 33 is a bit lumpy but it's still playable at full screen.
The DX4 100 seems to be the optimum machine for Doom.
I've seen it running on pentium 90 and it's not
noticably faster. A good video card helps though.

WylRider

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96
Jaime MacKercher (10314...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Personally, I think there are so many deathmatch only levels
: because many of the people putting them out lack the creativity
: to make a single player level. Most of the ones I've seen are
: just big boxes with a bunch of weapons and health. Trying to
: distribute monsters appropriately and make it challenging is a
: difficult thing to do and most are not up to the challenge...
: Please excuse me, I'm in a pissy mood today.

Lack of creativity may be right, but, the reason I make death match levels
is due to the fact, you are creating something that will be played over
and over again, while, a single player level, you play it once, then
delete it off your HD.

In regards to lack of creativity, there are some death-match levels that
have very much of creativity in their own. Such example would be the 1st
level of doom ][. That wad doesnt have any challenge for a single
player, but for a deathmatch it has all the weapons, fast action, and
a bloodfestival design. Some of the dweller.wad's (death-match levels)
are created for bloodfest and well placed weapons to satisfy any blood
thirst space marine.

The tag wads are a different story, but it is an extension of a
death-match, and you can't say that doesn't have creativity.

I do agree there are lots of deathmatch wads that just look like a big
box and it's in many ftp sites, but they are mostly made by 1st timers.

I am responding to this subject because I've recently finished a wad that
I certainly believe is more creative than any single player, or any death
match wad that has been ever made other than Id. Some death match
players may not like the wad due to the complexity of the wad or just
simply they will not be able to figure out how to obtain the object
that's in right front of their face!

Peter.

p.s.: the wad is called stripbar.zip and in ftp.cdrom.com
See if you can figure out how to get 1) the bfg in the cage.
2) the invulnable sphere 3) a rocket launcher or plasma rifle in
the bathroom. 4) The best method to obtain the rocket launcher near
the pool table. And 5) best way to get the berzerk pack on the
bar table. 6) Why is there a switch below the plasma rifle.

There are no hidden lines to hinder you from seeking the doorways.

Oh.. and the switches are one of a kind!

George R Faulkner

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
In <3a7cc$1331...@news.annex.com> pds...@annex.com (WylRider) writes:

[snip]

>Lack of creativity may be right, but, the reason I make death match
levels
>is due to the fact, you are creating something that will be played
over
>and over again, while, a single player level, you play it once, then
>delete it off your HD.

Nope. I've played some of my single player levels loads of times.
Many of them have low replay value, but some have high replay
value. Such as the original levels, Raven, Memento Mori,
Eternity, AliensTC, Castle of the Renegades, and loads more
good single-player levels (some of those listed support
cooperative and deathmatch, but are just as good for
single-player. I can't imagine playing AliensTC as anything
but single player, it would lose all of its effect)

>In regards to lack of creativity, there are some death-match levels
that
>have very much of creativity in their own. Such example would be the
1st
>level of doom ][. That wad doesnt have any challenge for a single
>player, but for a deathmatch it has all the weapons, fast action, and
>a bloodfestival design. Some of the dweller.wad's (death-match
levels)
>are created for bloodfest and well placed weapons to satisfy any blood

>thirst space marine.

Playability aside, though, many deathmatch levels (many, not all),
lack stuff like cool architecture, interesting scenery, special
effects, lighting effects, and much more interesting additions
that make levels better looking and often more fun. But in
deathmatch you're running by too fast to stop and smell the
roses, er, decaying bodies <g>

>The tag wads are a different story, but it is an extension of a
>death-match, and you can't say that doesn't have creativity.
>
>I do agree there are lots of deathmatch wads that just look like a big

>box and it's in many ftp sites, but they are mostly made by 1st
timers.

Plenty of levels like that for single player, too.

>I am responding to this subject because I've recently finished a wad
that
>I certainly believe is more creative than any single player, or any
death
>match wad that has been ever made other than Id. Some death match

Um, whatever happened to modesty? If you're claiming your WAD can
beat such awsome works such as Memento Mori, Raven, AliensTC,
Obituary, etc., then you really need to be cut down to size a
bit.

>players may not like the wad due to the complexity of the wad or just
>simply they will not be able to figure out how to obtain the object
>that's in right front of their face!
>
>Peter.
>
>p.s.: the wad is called stripbar.zip and in ftp.cdrom.com

stripbar? This isn't one of those perverted xrated wads, is it?
Or is it just supposed to attract duke3d fans?

Adam Williamson

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
For some weird reason, faul...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write
>single-player. I can't imagine playing AliensTC as anything
>but single player, it would lose all of its effect)

Try this: 3 (or 4) Pentiums networked, wavetable soundcards, lights off,
dark night, big monitors, and Alien-TC. Now that is fucking _amazing_.
(In co-op, i'm talking about). It's incredible when all four of you open
auto-cannon fire on the Queen...

George R Faulkner

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
In <vChpcBA0...@scss.demon.co.uk> Adam Williamson

<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:

>For some weird reason, faul...@ix.netcom.com was possessed to write
>>single-player. I can't imagine playing AliensTC as anything
>>but single player, it would lose all of its effect)
>>
>Try this: 3 (or 4) Pentiums networked, wavetable soundcards, lights
off,
>dark night, big monitors, and Alien-TC. Now that is fucking _amazing_.
>(In co-op, i'm talking about). It's incredible when all four of you
open
>auto-cannon fire on the Queen...

The only problem is I don't have 3 or 4 networked Pentiums at home,
and even if I did I don't know too many people who would come over
and play Doom multiplayer. As for the Queen, well, that Queen
alien has got to be the one of the easiest enemies in the entire
WAD.