Chinese Chess Computer Program

Thomas Katsampes

Jul 4, 1994, 11:55:05 AM7/4/94
CHAo!
I'm a strong player of Western Chess, but (as much as I hate
playing against computers!) I want to start studying Chinese Chess
again and I need a top-notch but affordable Chinese-Chess Program.
I am not interested in frills (like in BattleChess II - that thing
was soooooooo weak).
I would like to see *Chinese* characters on my *Chinese* Chess
Program. I don't like the English translations - I misread them all
the time. Interestingly enough, when I first learned how to play
chinese chess I learned using the actual chinese characters - so
that I have to spend time to figure out the English "translations!"
If anyone has ANY recomendations please e-mail me at:
Kni...@ephsa.sat.tx.us or
Thomas.k...@church.com

Thank you much. Tom.

* * * Chess sharpens dull minds! * * *

Nick Jacobs

Jul 5, 1994, 6:42:55 AM7/5/94
kni...@ephsa.sat.tx.us (Thomas Katsampes) writes:

>CHAo!
> I'm a strong player of Western Chess, but (as much as I hate
>playing against computers!) I want to start studying Chinese Chess
>again and I need a top-notch but affordable Chinese-Chess Program.
>I am not interested in frills (like in BattleChess II - that thing
>was soooooooo weak).
>I would like to see *Chinese* characters on my *Chinese* Chess
>Program. I don't like the English translations - I misread them all

All the Chinese Chess programs mentioned in the FAQ use Chinese
characters for the pieces, *except* Battlechess II.

The Windows version of XIAN even allows you to choose whether
you prefer Taiwan/Hongkong ("traditional") characters or
the standard mainland China characters ("simplified").
(The DOS version does not give you this choice, it just
has the mainland-China characters).

Nick

Hiroshi Ota

Jul 9, 1994, 2:11:53 PM7/9/94
In article <2vbdff$p...@nyx.cs.du.edu>,
Nick Jacobs <nja...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:

>The Windows version of XIAN even allows you to choose whether

>you prefer Taiwan/Hongkong ("traditional") characters or ...

Where can I purchase the Windows version of XIAN?
What's the price and it's strength?

Thanks in advance!

ota

Ike K. Hong

Jul 9, 1994, 6:53:17 PM7/9/94
Hiroshi Ota (o...@uclink2.berkeley.edu) wrote:
: In article <2vbdff$p...@nyx.cs.du.edu>,
: Nick Jacobs <nja...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:

: Thanks in advance!

: ota

I also like to get this information. TIA!

-Ike
* CompuServe: 7122...@compuserve.com * "When I think over what I *
* Netcom: ike...@netcom.com * have said, I envy dumb *
* School: ih...@dhvx20.csudh.edu * people." *
* Work: hon...@post0.laafb.af.mil * - Seneca *

Nick Jacobs

Jul 11, 1994, 6:38:25 AM7/11/94
o...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Hiroshi Ota) writes:

> Where can I purchase the Windows version of XIAN?
>What's the price and it's strength?

> Thanks in advance!

>ota

You can now get it directly from the publisher, Leong Jacobs Inc in
Annapolis. The price was reduced to $29.95 as of July 1. (plus
$2 shipping). No sales tax since you don't live in MD. The
address is: 2729 Lury Lane, Annapolis, MD 21401. Just send
your check and state whether you want it on 3.5" or 5.25"
diskette.
Playing strength is the same as version 3.05 of the MS-DOS
version - which by the way is significantly better than
3.03 and earlier.
Nick

Pang Feng

Jul 13, 1994, 11:12:49 AM7/13/94
In article <2vr7f1$n...@nyx.cs.du.edu> nja...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Nick Jacobs) writes:

You can now get it directly from the publisher, Leong Jacobs Inc in
Annapolis. The price was reduced to $29.95 as of July 1. (plus
$2 shipping). No sales tax since you don't live in MD. The
address is: 2729 Lury Lane, Annapolis, MD 21401. Just send
your check and state whether you want it on 3.5" or 5.25"
diskette.
Playing strength is the same as version 3.05 of the MS-DOS
version - which by the way is significantly better than
3.03 and earlier.
Nick

Before I send them the check, could someone please give an estimate on
its strength? For example, an estimated rating if it plays games at
ICCS (Internet Chinese Chess Server)?

Many thanks.

Pangfeng
--------