Chess program recommendations wanted

1 view

Kent Tong

Oct 25, 1994, 6:49:52 AM10/25/94
I am wondering which of the 4 programs mentioned in the FAQ
suits me the most. I am a beginner almost at the same skill level
of the 1st level in cchess.exe. Especially I am concerned with
the following features,
- has an easy to beat level (for my skill level)
- has a hard to beat level (I am gonna read some books and
do some practice)
- uses mouse to control the move
- supports take backs :-)

Thanks in advance!

--
Kent Tong (to...@archsci.arch.su.edu.au)
Freeman Installer (WWW)--->http://www.arch.su.edu.au/~tongk/0.html

Pang Feng

Oct 25, 1994, 3:20:00 PM10/25/94
In article <Cy863...@ucc.su.OZ.AU> to...@cornea.su.edu.au (Kent Tong) writes:

I am wondering which of the 4 programs mentioned in the FAQ
suits me the most. I am a beginner almost at the same skill level
of the 1st level in cchess.exe. Especially I am concerned with
the following features,

I bought Chinese Chess Master III several weeks back. It is very
challenging.

- has an easy to beat level (for my skill level)

Not sure about this. I know people having difficulties dealing with
"Bob Ju", the supposely easiest one to beat in Chinese Chess Master
III.

- has a hard to beat level (I am gonna read some books and
do some practice)

No doubt about it.

- uses mouse to control the move

Yes.

- supports take backs :-)

Yes, but you can undo only 50 times, no matter how many games you
play. Each undo costs you 100 points.

I will write a review of Chinese Chess Master III if I manage to find
the time.

Pangfeng (pangfeng in ICCS)
--------

Nick Jacobs

Oct 28, 1994, 8:16:43 AM10/28/94
to...@cornea.su.edu.au (Kent Tong) writes:

>I am wondering which of the 4 programs mentioned in the FAQ
>suits me the most. I am a beginner almost at the same skill level
>of the 1st level in cchess.exe. Especially I am concerned with
>the following features,
>- has an easy to beat level (for my skill level)
>- has a hard to beat level (I am gonna read some books and
> do some practice)
>- uses mouse to control the move
>- supports take backs :-)

XIAN lets you use a mouse only in the Windows version, not the
DOS version. So get the Windows version if you pick XIAN.

All the programs meet your other requirements except
Battle Chess II, which doesn't have a "hard to beat"
level.

Nick