M Chess Professional

Roger Uzun

Oct 27, 1992, 2:04:17 AM10/27/92
I just got a flier describing M Chess Professional, sells for $149.50.
Check out its credentials:

AEGON Man-Computer Chess Tournament in The Hague - Best Computer,
M Chess defeated GM Larry Christianson - the highest rated player ever
defeated in tournament play (wonder what machine it was running on)

22nd Annual ACM International Chess Championship - 2nd place,
above the CRAY Blitz! First place went to Deep Thought II.
Wonder what machine M Chess was running on here.

11th World Microcomputer Chess Championship in Vancouver -
M chess won the title of World Personal Computer Chess Champion.

Program likes to use 4M-10M of extended mem, would be interesting
to see this program on a 486-66 or P5 (pentium whatever 586 will be called).

-Roger
bix: ruzun
NET: uz...@crash.cts.com

Roger Uzun

Oct 27, 1992, 2:10:09 AM10/27/92
For laughs I ran a few games of Grandmaster Chess (mass market Zarkov)
running on an 80386sx/20 vs the Super Nintendo (3.8Mhz 65C816) running
The ChessMaster. All games were played using GrandMaster Level on
GrandMaster chess, all games allowed the SNES to be white, GM Chess
was black. Times allowed each system and results were as follows:

time SNES time GMChess result
60moves/30mins 60moves/5mins DRAW
60moves/10mins 60moves/5mins DRAW
30moves/60mins 30moves/60mins Black (GM Chess)

The 3rd game was not close at all, GM Chess took a lead fairly early in
the mid game, and it totally dominated the board thereafter. Basically
a slaughter.

Just a bit of useless machine info. Hope I did not waste too much bandwidth.

Rob Young

Oct 27, 1992, 5:28:25 AM10/27/92
In <1992Oct26.230417.26005@crash> uz...@crash.cts.com writes:

> I just got a flier describing M Chess Professional, sells for $149.50.
> Check out its credentials:

[...]

> Program likes to use 4M-10M of extended mem, would be interesting
> to see this program on a 486-66 or P5 (pentium whatever 586 will be called).
> -Roger

How about seeing it on an (100+ Specmark) Alpha server running
Windows NT next summer? Would be very interesting either way.
Rob

yo...@tattoo.cs.widener.edu
"The perception that DEC does not have the I/O performance of an IBM mainframe
is a myth. Today a VAX 7000 has the I/O capacity of an IBM system, and an
Alpha system will increase that by three times."
-- Wes Melling
Gartner Group