IBM Deep Blue

Jens Palsberg

Dec 12, 1992, 6:15:49 AM12/12/92
From the danish national chess magazine "Skakbladet" (12, 1992):

IBM announces that the worlds strongest chess computer
"IBM Deep Blue" will be presented to the world
in Copenhagen, Denmark, in February 24-27, 1993.
The major attraction is a four-games match between
"IBM Deep Blue" and danish GM Bent Larsen.
The games will be played daily 11-17.

(The above is _not_ a quote, merely my brief summary of an article
and an IBM advertisement).

--
Jens Palsberg
Computer Science Department, Aarhus University,

Feng-Hsiung Hsu

Dec 12, 1992, 12:37:20 PM12/12/92
In article <1992Dec12.1...@daimi.aau.dk> pals...@daimi.aau.dk (Jens Palsberg) writes:
>From the danish national chess magazine "Skakbladet" (12, 1992):
> The major attraction is a four-games match between
> "IBM Deep Blue" and danish GM Bent Larsen.
> The games will be played daily 11-17.

There is a little misunderstanding here. The machine playing is not
really the final Deep Blue, but Deep Thought II runing the Deep Blue
preliminary software/search algorithms. There are three stages of development
for Deep Blue: the software simulation on DT II (Deep Blue Simulation), the
preliminary version on a prototype 10-processor machine (Baby Deep Blue), and
the final 1024-processor machine (Deep Blue). Only the first stage machine
will be ready for the match. The main difference between Deep Blue Simulation
and DT 2 is the introduction of new search extensions algorithms. The
Deep Blue technical presentation itself will be mainly on the new Deep Blue
custom VLSI single-chip chess machine.

As for the match itself, I am not sure whether it is a 3-game or a 4-game
match. The machine is supposed to play against Swedish GM Andersson or
Cramling on alternate days as well.
--Hsu

Chris Schumacher

Dec 12, 1992, 3:49:55 PM12/12/92

How about some projections on when each stage of IBM Deep Blue will be
operational and playing in the public eye?

Kirk Gunsallus

Dec 14, 1992, 10:04:29 AM12/14/92
In article <1992Dec12.1...@watson.ibm.com> f...@watson.ibm.com (Feng-Hsiung Hsu) writes:

description of deep thought development machines ... deleted

>As for the match itself, I am not sure whether it is a 3-game or a 4-game
>match. The machine is supposed to play against Swedish GM Andersson or
>Cramling on alternate days as well.
> --Hsu

won't fatigue be a problem playing this much??

Johannes Fuernkranz

Dec 22, 1992, 3:56:00 PM12/22/92
In article <1992Dec12.1...@watson.ibm.com> f...@watson.ibm.com (Feng-Hsiung Hsu) writes:
>In article <1992Dec12.1...@daimi.aau.dk> pals...@daimi.aau.dk (Jens Palsberg) writes:
>>From the danish national chess magazine "Skakbladet" (12, 1992):
>> The major attraction is a four-games match between
>> "IBM Deep Blue" and danish GM Bent Larsen.
>> The games will be played daily 11-17.
>
>There is a little misunderstanding here. The machine playing is not
>really the final Deep Blue, but Deep Thought II runing the Deep Blue
>preliminary software/search algorithms. There are three stages of development
>for Deep Blue: the software simulation on DT II (Deep Blue Simulation), the
>preliminary version on a prototype 10-processor machine (Baby Deep Blue), and
>the final 1024-processor machine (Deep Blue). Only the first stage machine
>will be ready for the match. The main difference between Deep Blue Simulation
>and DT 2 is the introduction of new search extensions algorithms. The
>Deep Blue technical presentation itself will be mainly on the new Deep Blue
>custom VLSI single-chip chess machine.

Has there been a match between Dt2 and Deep Blue Simulation?

Juffi

--
Johannes Fuernkranz ju...@ai.univie.ac.at
Austrian Research Inst. for Artificial Intelligence +43-1-5336112(Tel)