24th ACM Computer Chess Championship

Steven J Edwards

Jun 24, 1994, 8:34:23 PM6/24/94
The 24th annual Association of Computing Machinery Computer Chess
Championship is to start in about twelve hours from now. I will post
games and other info as such becomes available.

I have attached the original news release from the organizer.

-- Steven (s...@world.std.com)

The 24th ACM International Computer Chess Championship
June 25-27, 1994
Cape May, New Jersey

NEWSRELEASE---------NEWSRELEASE-----------NEWSRELEASE

The field has been set for the 24th ACM International Computer Chess
Championship to be held in Cape May, New Jersey June 25-27, 1994 at
the Grand Hotel. The event is being held as part of the 6th ACM
Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. The participants
are:

PROGRAM Authors of Program

1 CRAY BLITZ Robert Hyatt, Albert Gower, Harry Nelson
2 DEEP THOUGHT II Feng-Hsiung Hsu, Murray Campbell
3 EVALUATOR Bill MacLaughlin
4 INNOVATION Jeff Mallett
5 MCHESS Marty Hirsch
6 NOW Mark Lefler
7 SPECTOR Steven J. Edwards
8 STARPLATO Don Dailey, Larry Kaufmann, Robert D. Blumofe,
Eric A. Brewer, MIchael Halbherr, Christopher
J. Joerg, Bradley C. Kuszmaul, Charles E.
Leiserson, Yuli Zhou.
9 WCHESS David Kittinger, James Parker
10 ZARKOV John Stanback

The schedule for the five round event is as follows:

Round 1: 11:00AM Saturday June 25
Round 2: 7:00PM Saturday June 25
Round 3: 9:30AM Sunday June 26
Round 4: 7:00PM Sunday June 26
Round 5: 7:00PM Monday June 27

The Tournament Director is Mike Valvo.

For further information, contact Monty Newborn,
School of Computer Science, McGill University,
3480 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2A7, Canada
(email: new...@cs.mcgill.ca).

EOF

Al Cargill

Jun 25, 1994, 9:04:35 PM6/25/94
s...@world.std.com "Steven J Edwards" writes:
> The 24th annual Association of Computing Machinery Computer Chess
> Championship is to start in about twelve hours from now. I will post
> games and other info as such becomes available.
>
> I have attached the original news release from the organizer.
>
> -- Steven (s...@world.std.com)
> 1 CRAY BLITZ Robert Hyatt, Albert Gower, Harry Nelson
> 2 DEEP THOUGHT II Feng-Hsiung Hsu, Murray Campbell
> 3 EVALUATOR Bill MacLaughlin
> 4 INNOVATION Jeff Mallett
> 5 MCHESS Marty Hirsch
> 6 NOW Mark Lefler
> 7 SPECTOR Steven J. Edwards
> 8 STARPLATO Don Dailey, Larry Kaufmann, Robert D. Blumofe,
> Eric A. Brewer, MIchael Halbherr, Christopher
> J. Joerg, Bradley C. Kuszmaul, Charles E.
> Leiserson, Yuli Zhou.
> 9 WCHESS David Kittinger, James Parker
> 10 ZARKOV John Stanback

Any idea what computers the "commercial" programs are running on?
Good to see DT II in action again!! Are any of the names pseudonyms
for Mephisto Genius, CM 4000, or Hiarcs - I assume not as I don't see
the programmers names.
Look forward to seeing the games - see if we get any mates in
18 from DT II.

Al

Hal Bogner

Jun 26, 1994, 2:41:44 AM6/26/94
In article <772592...@alcarg.demon.co.uk> A...@alcarg.demon.co.uk writes:
> s...@world.std.com "Steven J Edwards" writes:
>> The 24th annual Association of Computing Machinery Computer Chess
>> Championship is to start in about twelve hours from now. I will post
>> games and other info as such becomes available.
>>
>> I have attached the original news release from the organizer.
>>
>> -- Steven (s...@world.std.com)
>> 1 CRAY BLITZ Robert Hyatt, Albert Gower, Harry Nelson
Cray YMP (4 processors, 4000 MIPS)

>> 2 DEEP THOUGHT II Feng-Hsiung Hsu, Murray Campbell
Still the "old" machine
>> 3 EVALUATOR Bill MacLaughlin
486 DX4-100 MHz
>> 4 INNOVATION Jeff Mallett
Power PC 8100/80 MHz
>> 5 MCHESS Marty Hirsch
Pentium 90 MHz
>> 6 NOW Mark Lefler
Pentium 90 MHz

>> 7 SPECTOR Steven J. Edwards
486 DX2-66 MHz

>> 8 STARPLATO Don Dailey, Larry Kaufmann, Robert D. Blumofe,
>> Eric A. Brewer, MIchael Halbherr, Christopher
>> J. Joerg, Bradley C. Kuszmaul, Charles E.
>> Leiserson, Yuli Zhou.
CM-5 Connection Machine, 512 processors

>> 9 WCHESS David Kittinger, James Parker
Pentium 90 MHz
>> 10 ZARKOV John Stanback
HP735 99 MHz

>Any idea what computers the "commercial" programs are running on?
>Good to see DT II in action again!! Are any of the names pseudonyms
>for Mephisto Genius, CM 4000, or Hiarcs - I assume not as I don't see
>the programmers names.
> Look forward to seeing the games - see if we get any mates in
>18 from DT II.
>
>Al

Rd 1 results:
Deep Thought II beat Zarkov (which was better for a good part of the game)
Now drew Cray Blitz, from an apparently winning ending
WChess clobbered Innovation II
Star-Socrates ground down Spector (winning a pawn up Rook ending)
M-Chess Pro beat Evaluator with Q-side play in a closed position

Rd 2 results:
Deep Thought II was unable to play against M-Chess Pro and forfeited, due to a
power failure at their facility in upstate NY;
Star-Socrates beat WChess
Zarkov beat Cray Blitz
Now drew Spector (this time Now was on the worse side of the draw)
Innovation II beat Evaluator

Scores:
2 Star-Socrates, M-Chess Pro
1 Deep Thought, WChess, Zarkov, Now, Innovation II
.5 Cray Blitz, Spector
0 Evaluator

Rounds Sunday at 10:30 AM & 7 PM, Monday at 7 PM. Games probably available to
post tomorrow!

Stay tuned...

-hal