NICBase for mac?

ALBERT HENDERSON

May 17, 1992, 11:02:43 PM5/17/92

>I was showing some friends at my local chess club the NICBase program
>I bought from you, and some of them are interested in obtaining >
>copies. Unfortunately,most of them are mac users and I wasn't sure
>whether NICBase is available for the mac. So I told them I'd write to
>you to try to find out. So my question is:
>Is there a version of NICBase for the macintosh? If so, what's the
>price, and how's the data availability? One club member has some kind
>of a fully loaded Mac II, and he believes that if he can get a mac
>version of the program, he can purchase PC NICBase data and translate
>it with his "superdrive". Do you know anything about this?

Eric Schiller indicated on one of these boards that NICBASE runs fine
on the Macintosh using the SOFT PC (AT Version) emulation software
issued by Insignia Solutions. So the price and data are just as for the
MS-DOS and ATARI ST platforms.

> I also wanted to ask you about two things: First, while at the NY
> Open, I noticed that they were selling New In Chess scorebooks. Do >
>you have these?

The scorebooks and some of the back issues being sold at the NY Open
are out of print.

>What's the cost? And secondly, is there any kind of index of NIC
>Yearbooks, so that I could decide which ones to buy based on the
>theoretical articles they contain.

Generally, the NIC Yearbooks are indexed by the database supplement.
Each game indicates the yearbook volume and page. If you do not have
the supplement data covering Yearbooks 1-18 and do not subscribe to the
NIC magazine, I would be happy to send a xerox of one of the
advertisements that reviews which volumes carry which theoretical
articles. Send me a post office address.

Thanks for your interest and some very interesting questions.

Al Henderson, Pres., Chess Combination Inc.