CM5000 Ideas, Part 1 of 2

dtre...@gss.efn.org

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

I've been a loyal Chessmaster owner since the 2000 version, and want to praise
Mindscape for doing an EXCELLENT job! I'm looking forward to the next version
of Chessmaster! Here are my suggestions on how Mindscape could improve this
great product!

1. For me, the SINGLE MOST USEFUL FEATURE would be the ability to select
computer opponent strength according to USCF or FIDE rating! This new strength
setting would override or be the #1 priority over other (current) adjustable
factors of the computer opponent's style. Naturally, some adjustable factors
should be disabled if the "strength=rating" setting is enabled, such as depth
of vision, book knowledge, randomness of play. But the user should be able to
make other adjustments in the computer opponent's style of play, and still have
the program play as if it were rated as specified. Adjustments that have
more to do with *LEVEL* of play would be disabled when the "strength=rating"
feature is enabled, while those adjustments that have more to do with *STYLE*
of play would still be open to adjustment by the user.

All of these adjustments and strength settings should be regardless of the time
controls used. That is, if I set the computer to play at a 2200 USCF level, and
give it a time control of 30 moves in 30 minutes, it should play like a 2200
player would play given a time control of 30 moves in 30 minutes. (i.e.,
telling the computer to play at a 2200 USCF level and giving it 120 minutes to
make 40 moves will result in higher-quality play than only giving it 30 minutes
for 30 moves at the 2200 level.)

2. Remove the 120-second-per-move limit from the function that analyzes an
entire game score, move by move. As is, this function is basically worthless
for advanced players. Most of us would love to use this function overnight, or
for a 24-hour period, allowing CM4000 to analyze each position for a full 10 or
15 minutes or longer

3. Allow an analysis mode, as implemented in the ChessMachine's software, so
that the program will simply always be calculating the best move for the side
whose move it is, and the user will be able to make all moves on the board
(except that the 'force move' function would work here, so that if you wanted
to make the move the Chessmaster says is best at that point, you could easily
do so).

Currently, the closest approximation to 'analysis mode' is to set both players
to the computer and set it on 'infinite time'. The BIG problem with this,
however, is that if you try to make a move other than with the 'force move'
function, you get the obnoxious warning 'It's not your move', and then you
have to go through the hassle of changing the players from "computer vs.
computer" so that the program allows you to move the piece, and then set it
back to "computer vs. computer" so the analysis will continue.

4. Add import/export of game scores in PGN, Chessbase, Chess Assistant, etc.,
format

5. Add capability to read a file (in various formats) that contains SEVERAL
game scores, and have the games imported into separate saved files and/or a
stored game library

6. Restore the standard Windows interface look-and-feel; 'ordinary'
(resizable) window borders, title bars, dialog boxes, buttons, fonts, etc.
Perhaps keep the weird CM4000 look as an option, though.

7. The large 2-D and 3-D wood Staunton pieces are EXCELLENT, but please change
the color of the 'black' pieces from the dorky red to a more realistic ebony or
very dark brown, like a real tournament set

8. Drop the weird (and mostly unusable) sets and boards; CM4000 is being used
by more and more high-level players who NEVER use that garbage. Get rid of it
and make more room for USEFUL features

Randell Jesup

Apr 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/12/95
dtre...@gss.efn.org wrote:
>2. Remove the 120-second-per-move limit from the function that analyzes an
>entire game score, move by move.

FTP the 1.04 patch. It fixes this problem and a few others (though not
the "doesn't print '-' for values -1.0 < x < 0 when analyzing" bug).

>3. Allow an analysis mode, as implemented in the ChessMachine's software, so
>that the program will simply always be calculating the best move for the side
>whose move it is, and the user will be able to make all moves on the board
>(except that the 'force move' function would work here, so that if you wanted
>to make the move the Chessmaster says is best at that point, you could easily
>do so).

Yes yes yes yes! YES! Great!

>5. Add capability to read a file (in various formats) that contains SEVERAL
>game scores, and have the games imported into separate saved files and/or a
>stored game library

Good idea.

>8. Drop the weird (and mostly unusable) sets and boards; CM4000 is being used
>by more and more high-level players who NEVER use that garbage. Get rid of it
>and make more room for USEFUL features

Or at least allow not installing them on HD.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randel...@scala.com