DT vs. Fritz

Michel Hafner

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
Why are Robert Hyatt and others doing all the talking and Hsu doesn't (care
to?) comment? After all he should know best what happened and how significant
this loss is. Speak up, please, Mr. Hsu, or are you still so much in shock
you can't post?
MH

Dan Thies

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
Paul Hsieh (phsieh@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE) wrote:
: Michel Hafner (haf...@ifi.unizh.ch) wrote:
: : Why are Robert Hyatt and others doing all the talking and Hsu doesn't (care
: : to?) comment? ...

: My guess is that Hsu realizes that after all this time working on Deep Blue,
: he really doesn't have an excuse. He is coming to grips with the fact that

Anybody ever heard of jet lag?

Dan
--
rt...@cyberspace.com

Paul Hsieh

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
Michel Hafner (haf...@ifi.unizh.ch) wrote:
: Why are Robert Hyatt and others doing all the talking and Hsu doesn't (care
: to?) comment? ...

My guess is that Hsu realizes that after all this time working on Deep Blue,
he really doesn't have an excuse. He is coming to grips with the fact that

Fritz played a better game of chess in that encounter. As far as I've seen,
Hsu is a smart guy. He's not going to waste time making excuses for his
program that don't exist. He has a date with Kasparov in February. If he's
smart he'll take this as a learning experience and be hard at work on the
opening book problem. Again I implore with Hsu to do some research into
modern Othello playing programs. There has been a lot of work done in the
area of opening books in Othello. I believe this is the biggest advantage
Fritz (and Kasparov) have over DB right now.

Paul Hsieh

Philippe Schnoebelen

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95

Paul> Again I implore with Hsu to do some
Paul> research into modern Othello playing programs.

That would be a good start, but do you know that these modern Othello
programs could be mightily improved if only their designers were not so
smug and would consider researching hyper-modern world-class level Gomoku
programs (programs based on concepts from dot-and-boxes theory).

--Philippe