New chess peogram - Virtual Chess

Jon Lawrance

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95

What's the verdict on the new "Virtual Chess" program? How strong is it?

I've done a test against CG2: CG2 on a 486sx25 and Virtual Chess on a
486dx33. Virtual Chess seems to get the better position most of the time
but the demo version I have cuts out after 21 moves. Is it out for sale
yet?
Jon

Jean-Christophe Weill

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95

Just some infos about Virtua (no l) Chess..

Virtua's chess engine is based upon Cumulus which is
2nd-3rd World Computer Chess Champion in Madrid in 1992
(the all computer including Cray/ parallel machines ... tournament)
and which finished 2nd of the World Micro-Computer Blitz tournament
in Munich in 1993 (in the non-blitz tournament we entered a youngest version
of Cumulus named Ecume that was not really finished ).

Virtua's engine (on the Ecume) name drew against Rafael Vaganian at
the AEGON tournament last year (the program was a piece up and decided
to go into a K+B+B vs K+N endgame, but we did not bring the endgame CDROM
at the tournament and Vaganian drew in 50 moves).

So Virtua's engine is not too bad, but this is to you to judge it, not
to me !

Virtua Chess's interface is a fancy graphics DOS based interface +
the dos extender we used for this 32 bits assembler program (i.e; the
base of the engine) allows Virtua to used all available memory without
the need of extra config.sys ...

Virtua Chess is out in France, very soon in Europe and soon in the state.

Send me a mail if you have any infos or any remarks about this program.

-- Jean-Christophe Weill [j...@cnam.fr]
As you guess it, co-author of Virtua Chess.

Al Cargill

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <3m6sgm$b...@sheckley.cnam.fr>
j...@cnam.cnam.fr "Jean-Christophe Weill" writes:
Stuff deleted

> So Virtua's engine is not too bad, but this is to you to judge it, not
> to me !

Stuff deleted

> -- Jean-Christophe Weill [j...@cnam.fr]
> As you guess it, co-author of Virtua Chess.

Hi

Nice to have an author along to ask questions of! I have seen the
demo (move number restricted) version and read a review/interview. In
the interview it was claimed that Virtua Chess was achieving 60%
against CM4000 and MGenius. Can you confirm this and if so on what
machines and time limits? Would be really nice to have another
program up at the very top of the PC tree.

Al